The Matthews Family (General)

by marshalld1, Thursday, July 26, 2018, 14:12 (2101 days ago)

I am trying to find out why my great grandfather Lysius William Matthews was born in Glamorgan and all the rest of the family was born in East Dean. Lysius was born in 1869 and the rest of the family between 1850 and 1880.

The Matthews Family

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, July 26, 2018, 16:21 (2101 days ago) @ marshalld1

As James MATTHEWS was a Coal Miner, on the 1871 census, working at the Steam Mills .... he probably moved briefly for work - (with or without his family at times)

On the Census, Lysias place of birth, is Hafod Side, Glamorgan. ***

There is on Google, information of Hafod Copperworks etc

Lysias William MATTHEWS - on the GRO Index he has been transcribed as Lynas William MATTHEWS - mother's maiden name SLADEN - and was registered: Jan/Feb/March Qtr 1868 Pont Y Pridd, Volume 11A and Page 310.

The birth certificate would give their address, father's occupation, mother's maiden name etc.

James MATTHEWS and Rebecaa Elizabeth Harriet (nee SLADEN) - had 4 children christened on the same day at Drybrook i.e. 25 February 1871

Elizabeth Olivia Louisa MATTHEWS - mother's maiden name listed as SLADIN - M Qtr 1864, Westbury on Severn

Alonza James MATTHEWS - M Qtr - 1866, Westbury on Severn

Lionel Agustus MATTHEWS - M Qtr, 1870 Westbury on Severn

---

Using the Advance Search, there are various baptism on the records, where the parents are living in Glamorgan.

The Matthews Family

by marshalld1, Friday, July 27, 2018, 14:18 (2100 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you for the information. If you want any more information about Lysius William Matthews, I am always happy to help you. Knowing that he came to Sutton in Ashfield in the 1880/90s got married and raised a family here, as well as being a miner and dying here also.

RSS Feed of thread