St Johns Church Cinderford (General)

by Hornbeam, Sunday, July 29, 2018, 19:22 (2069 days ago)

I have rejoined this wonderful resource after a few years break. I am still struggling to find the parents of William Henry Jones b. 1868 m. 5 Feb 1894 d. Nov 1945. I've had more luck with his wife Annie Jenkins. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in again.

Meanwhile I have moved to Cinderford to a little cottage that is one of five converted from St Johns Church Hall. I would love to know the history of this building and would be most grateful for any information or pointers.

St Johns Church Cinderford

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, July 29, 2018, 20:40 (2069 days ago) @ Hornbeam

Marriage at Tidenham

5 February 1894

William Henry JONES, aged 25, Bachelor, occupation: Gardener, residence: Tidenham

father: John JONES, Timber Haulier (deceased)

Ann JENKINS, aged 23, Spinster, residence: Tidenham

father: Kidgwin JENKINS, labourer

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Sunday, July 29, 2018, 20:47 (2069 days ago) @ Hornbeam

The hall (which I remember frequenting in my childhood) was originally a school. Built about 1840.

From British History Online (https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp405-413)

"In 1840 the colliery owner Edward Protheroe built a school at Cinderford Tump for the benefit of families in his employ (fn. 18) and funded it by fees and a levy on his workforce. (fn. 19) After 1843, when he handed it over to the Crown in part payment of debts, Protheroe was in dispute with the minister of the neighbouring church of St. John the Evangelist about the school's management and in 1847 the Commissioners of Woods acting for the Crown placed it under the sole care of the deputy surveyor of the Forest. (fn. 20) During that period attendances, by children and adults up to the age of 22, sometimes exceeded 280, (fn. 21) and income included a grant from the Great Western Railway Co. besides the Crown's contribution and school pence, (fn. 22) In 1855, following a reduction in funds, control of the school was transferred to St. John's parish. (fn. 23) As St. John's school it reopened in 1857 with boys' and girls' departments and soon had an average attendance of 112, (fn. 24) A National school, it received regular financial support from the Crawshay family and the Crown. (fn. 25) In 1883 it passed to the school board, which ran it with junior mixed and infants' departments until 1887, when it was replaced by St. White's school. (fn. 26) The building was a church hall in 1992."

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, July 29, 2018, 23:18 (2069 days ago) @ Hornbeam

Hi Hornbeam and welcome back.
Our family went to St Stephens not St Johns, but for a couple of years in the early 80s I visited St John's Church Hall one evening a week. Along with other friends we hired it to play recreational badminton. The floorspace was just large enough to house one badminton court, non-playing members had to sit on the relatively high stage to wait for their game. The horizontal wooden trusses supporting the roof apex were a continual problem altho getting a lucky rebound occasionally gave sneaky points, but less good if accidentally landed a shuttlecock on top of the beams. It was a great venue as had good parking plus the White Hart next door for that all-important 2 hour "hydration break" afterwards. In those days it looked much like this
http://way-mark.co.uk/foresthaven/livnhist/slide096.htm#

Back in 2014 the Hall was discussed on this forum, and I found it was on the market, presumably just prior to being redeveloped. Several interior photos were available online via the vendor's website, it looked much like I remembered. I can't find them online now, but hopefully the company still has them on file to share with you ?.
https://www.brutonknowles.co.uk/about-bruton-knowles/locations

by christine woodward ⌂ @, Monday, July 30, 2018, 09:17 (2068 days ago) @ Hornbeam

St Johns had many uses over the years. For me and any the young teenagers of the 1960s, it was the best place to go for Youth Club. Learning the latest dance moves. Plenty of room for the usual games. The place was a hive of kids just enjoying themselves. We came from all over Cinderford and Ruspidge. Quite a few of us it was the place to meet your boyfriends. For me and a few others those boyfriends turned into husbands.

William Jones b.1868 Staunton on Wye

by shepway @, Wednesday, August 08, 2018, 10:40 (2059 days ago) @ Hornbeam

The marriage entry informs us that the father of William Henry Jones is John Jones, Timber Haulier deceased. Witnesses are Kedgwin and Ruth Jenkins.
In the search for William's parentage I start by looking at Census Returns to see where he was born and find the following:

Beaucliff, Tidenham (Gloucs), Chepstow, Gloucestershire, England
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
Williams Jones Head Married Male 32 1869 Staunton on Wye, Gloucestershire, England Gardener Domestic
Annie Jones Wife Married Female 29 1872 Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England -
William A Jones Son - Male 6 1895 Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England -
Ellen R Jones Daughter - Female 5 1896 Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England -
George L Jones Son - Male 1 1900 Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England -
Sarah Prior Boarder Widow Female 53 1848 London, Middlesex, England Cook Domestic

This gives his place of birth as Staunton on Wye Herefordshire which helps us locate him in earlier Census:

Mornington House, Credenhill Road, Credenhill, Hereford, Herefordshire, England
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Birth place Occupation
Thomas Jepson Head Married Male 35 1856 Lancashire, England Retired Contractor
Mary Jepson Wife Married Female 62 1829 Glamorganshire, Wales -
Harriett Brown Servant Single Female 33 1858 Chepstow, Bidenham(sic) General Servant Domestic
William Jones Servant Single Male 23 1868 Herefordshire, England Groom Domestic Servant

Bucks House, Staunton upon Wye, Weobly, Herefordshire, England
John Jones Head Married Male 58 1823 Monnington on Wye, Herefordshire, England Farm Laborer
Ann Jones Servant Single Female 54 1827 Letton, Herefordshire, England House Keeper & General
William Jones Son Single Male 13 1868 Staunton on Wye, Herefordshire, England Scholar

The Field, Staunton on Wye, Weobley, Herefordshire, England
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Anne Jones Head - Female 44 1827 - Herefordshire, England
James Jones Son - Male 11 1860 - Herefordshire, England
George Jones Son - Male 7 1864 - Herefordshire, England
William Jones Son - Male 3 1868 - Herefordshire, England

Staunton on Wye is in Weobley Registration District and a search of the Births on GRO produces the following entry:
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname: :
JONES, WILLIAM -
GRO Reference: 1868 J Quarter in WEOBLEY Volume 06A Page 517

The 1871 Census tells us that James had siblings - James and George. A search for birth registration produces one for James:
Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
JONES, JAMES -
GRO Reference: 1860 M Quarter in WEOBLEY Volume 06A Page 508

This suggests that William and James were born to a Single Mother and the only way to proceed is to obtain the Birth Certificate or hopefully find a baptism.

You can order a certificate in pdf format on GRO online and the cost is £6.00

The 1939 Register Entry for William gives bis date of birth as 6 April 1868
Netherop Lane , Lydney R.D., Gloucestershire, England
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
William Jones 06 Apr 1868 Male Gardener (Private S) Married 282 1
Ann Jones 25 Jan 1872 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 282 2
William A Jones 27 May 1891 Male General Farm Labourer Single 282 3

Mike

RSS Feed of thread