Meaning of a name (General)

by Bridewell @, Monday, October 01, 2018, 16:29 (2027 days ago)

Hello,

On looking at a census my Grandfather was listed as a Miner and Waterward, does anyone know what this actualluy means please?

Thank you.

Meaning of a name

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, October 01, 2018, 19:19 (2027 days ago) @ Bridewell

?

What name is the Miner Waterward ? Waterwork???

Meaning of a name

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Wednesday, October 03, 2018, 21:41 (2025 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

?

What name is the Miner Waterward ? Waterwork???

The miner is Thomas Milson Townsend age 34 in 1911 Wales Census, living at Hillersland Near Coleford, Gloucestershire, with his widowed mother Martha.

In 1901 England Census he is Milson Townsend living with his parents George and Martha in Hillersland.

Waterward comes from the transcription by Ancestry. Find My Past transcribes the image as Smiternward. I don't think either is correct. If you compare the first letter of the word with others on the page it is the same a the T in Townsend.

Meaning of a name

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, October 01, 2018, 22:29 (2027 days ago) @ Bridewell

Browsing around the web indicates that “Waterward” was a variant of “Waterworth” (a term used mostly in Lancashire) and the modern equivalent would be “Water Bailiff”, i.e. someone responsible for the policing of bodies of water in a defined area.

Meaning of a name

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 02, 2018, 17:51 (2026 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Well done Mike, thats a new one on me !

So a waterward is quite literally a ward, aka guardian, of water.

Seems obvious now thanks to you sir !

RSS Feed of thread