George Thomas Steel manufacturer? (General)

by helen550, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 17:55 (1988 days ago)

My ancestors George Thomas and his son Tom Pearce Thomas lived in Coleford at Morley Villa Cinderhill Coleford.George states his profession in the 1871 census as a steel manufacturer and indeed owned land that was part of the Dark Hill iron works, George died in 1901 and Tom died in 1908.Tom named his second son Maxwell Robert Brooklyn Mushet Thomas. I would like to know what the connection was if any with Robert Mushet. Their deaths were registered in Monmouth but I presume they would have been buried in Coleford. How can I find out where they were buried?

George Thomas Steel manufacturer?

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 19:36 (1988 days ago) @ helen550

Mike Leeman - has this Family tree on Ancestry - and does list the MUSHET

Robert F MUSHET married Mary Ann THOMAS born 1819 St Briavels (record on this website : 23 August 1818)

Mary's parents were: John THOMAS 1775-1853 and Catherine PARRY 1789 - 1863

--

Their marriage certificate is on Ancestry

Robert MUSHETT and Mary Ann THOMAS

15 December 1841, Cheltenham

Robert MUSHETT - Father: David MUSHETT - Free Miner
John THOMAS - Farmer

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 20:03 (1988 days ago) @ helen550

BNA Gloucestershire Echo - Friday 22 November 1901

DEATH OF MR. GEORGE THOMAS. OF COLEFORD.

The news of the death of Mr. George Thomas, of Morley Villa, Cinderhill, Coleford on Wednesday morning, was received with surprise by many inhabitants in the town, who were not aware of his illness. Mr. Thomas had apparently been in his usual good health until recently, and it was only on Friday last that he felt so unwell as to consult a doctor, but he was able to walk to Dr. Trotter’s surgery. It was discovered that Mr. Thomas was suffering from diabetes, which had evidently been coming on for some time, though he himself was not aware of it. On Saturday he was in his garden, and it was not until Monday night, when he suddenly became worse, that he was compelled to take to his bed, and notwithstanding the attention that was given to him he passed away in about 24 hours. The deceased gentleman, who was a native of St. Briavels, had been a long resident in Coleford. He was connected with the old steel works of Milkwall in its flourishing days, and was a nephew of the late Mr. Robt. Mushet, who will be well remembered by the older generation for his work in connection with the local steel trade. Up to the time of his demise Mr. Thomas held the secret and performed the task of mixing for the celebrated Mushet steel in a private works belonging to the company in Sheffield, which works are situate in the Fetterhill Valley, near Coleford. Mr. Thomas was a man of means, and of late years had purchased considerable property in the neighbourhood. He was of a somewhat retiring disposition, and never took an active part in local public affairs, but was a regular attendant at the Baptist Chapel. He was 69 years of age, and leaves three sons, one of whom has been in Australia for some years. The funeral, which was a public one, took place this (Friday) afternoon.

I suppose that, bearing in mind his religious persuasion, he could have been buried at the Chapel. I know that the original Baptist chapel in Coleford had a burial ground but whether this was still in use in 1901 I have no idea. If it was in use the remains will have been reinterred somewhere else by now. The other possibility is Coleford Cemetery, consecrated in 1868.

In the BNA Gloucester Journal - Saturday 08 August 1908 there is a lengthy article about the death and inquest of Tom Pearce Thomas. Apparently he was involved in an accident during a pony race at the Clearwell Flower Show and, although apparently not seriously injured, died of convulsive fits not long afterwards.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, October 20, 2018, 21:05 (1986 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

From this site's Parish Records (see under Resources on top menubar)
https://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/parish-records-search

Record_ID: 76672
Entry_Number: 1663
Year: 1901
Month: Nov
Day: 22
Surname: THOMAS
Forenames: George
Residence: Manufacturer of Steel Composition
Age_at_death: 69
Officiating_Minister: A H Horlick
Event: Interment
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: (1) Marley Cottage Coleford (2) South Div: Adult Gr. (3) F 50 (4) Unconsecrated (5)
Notes:
Register_Reference: DA25/204/2
Page_No: 84
Parish_Chapel: Coleford Cemetery
Soundex: T520

by helen550, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 16:31 (1979 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you. This news article brings together so many pieces of a jigsaw that i had partially pieced together!i have just returned from a trip to the Forest of Dean and visited the Dark Hill Iron Works while I was there. A shame that it is disappearing into the undergrowth but still very much worth a visit.

George Thomas' son Maxwell Robert Brooklyn Mushet Thomas.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, October 20, 2018, 19:38 (1986 days ago) @ helen550

Hi Helen,
I was intrigued by the grand-sounding name of George's son Maxwell Robert Brooklyn Mushet Thomas, especially the Brooklyn part which I guess indicates a link to America ?. I expect you wondered about this too, so apologies if I'm repeating what you already know.
I knew Brooklyn is a part of New York, apparently that's where the name originally comes from. I also knew from my schooldays that New York was originally New Amsterdam when first founded by the Dutch settlers. It seems that Brooklyn is originally derived from the Dutch "Breukelen", meaning "broken land".

Moving on, it seems likely George Thomas borrowed his son's name in two of Robert Forester Mushet's own sons, Maxwell and Brooklyn, as this prior thread shows, thanks MPG.
https://forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=25546

This biography of Robert F Mushet mentions how his sons, Henry Charles Brooklyn Mushet and Edward Maxwell Mushet, were engaged as managers to a firm of steel-makers at Sheffield.
https://todayinsci.com/M/Mushet_Robert/MushetRobert-Bio(1909).htm

I think this Sheffield firm was Samuel Osborn's, who we were discussing just a few weeks ago.
https://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=50107

I suspect you may have already searched Maxwell Robert Brooklyn Mushet Thomas on the net Helen, if not then this American web page may be of interest to you, it states how

"On October 14, 1898, my grandfather, Maxwell Robert Brooklyn Mushet Thomas, was born. He was three generations removed from Mary Thomas, born 1818 in St. Briavels, Wales who married Robert Forester Mushet, the inventor of the modern-day steel process."
-Godwin Maxwell Thomas, Texas.
https://www.maxwellrenovation.com/about/

Given Robert F Mushet's choice of name for his son Brooklyn, I wonder if he travelled to New York back in the 1840s, where his steel would be so important in the growth of the city and especially it's skyscrapers ?

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, October 20, 2018, 20:35 (1986 days ago) @ helen550

Confirmation that Tom Pearce Thomas was indeed buried in Coleford Cemetery.

BNA Gloucester Journal - Saturday 08 August 1908

Funeral of Mr. T. P. Thomas, Coleford

On Tuesday afternoon the mortal remains of Mr. T. P. Thomas of Morley Villa. Coleford, whose death was announced in Monday’s edition, were laid to rest in Coleford Cemetery, amid signs of sympathy from all sides………………………………..

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, October 20, 2018, 22:14 (1986 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Helen,
this site's Parish Records database may be found in the drop-down menu below the Resources heading on the main toolbar across top of the screen. They can be searched from this page,
https://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/parish-records-search

The burial records for both George Thomas and his son Tom may therefore be found as follows;

Record_ID: 76672
Entry_Number: 1663
Year: 1901
Month: Nov
Day: 22
Forenames: George
Residence: Manufacturer of Steel Composition
Age_at_death: 69
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: (1) Marley Cottage Coleford (2) South Div: Adult Gr. (3) F 50 (4) Unconsecrated (5)
Notes:
Page_No: 84

Record_ID: 77025
Entry_Number: 2013
Year: 1908
Month: Aug
Day: 4
Forenames: Tom Pearce
Residence: Gentleman
Age_at_death: 45
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: (1) Morley Villa Coleford (2) South Div: Adult Gr. (3) F 53 (4) Unconsecrated (5)
Notes:
Page_No: 101

by helen550, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 16:17 (1979 days ago) @ Jefff

A huge thank you for this. i have just got back from my first trip to the Forest of dean where I visited the places where my ancestors lived, i did visit coleford Cemetary. The gravestones were in a terrible state of repair as they are made of sandstone.

RSS Feed of thread