William Hitchins Tailor of Gloucester (General)

by Earthstem, Thursday, November 01, 2018, 08:03 (1997 days ago)

Greetings to one and all. I am looking for any leads to the father of one William Hitchins, who died in 1687 (his inventory shows him being in Pamington, near Ashchurch and is believed to have been born in Gloucester in 1638 (recorded at Holy Trinity).

I have leads to a William Hitchins (b. 1562 in St Mary, Hasfield) but the age gap is clearly too big. Two other leads are William of Hasfield (b. 1606) but marriage/wife is not known and a William marrying an Elizabeth Bennett in Upleadon in 1587 but no children found.

If anyone has any inkling as to the origins of William b. 1638 I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks, George Hitchins

William Hitchins Tailor of Gloucester/Marriage by Licence

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 01, 2018, 13:51 (1996 days ago) @ Earthstem

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry - ? is one of them yours - with a Will and later handwritten notes saying he married Mary MARSHFIELD (Widow) 1684 at St Mary de Lobe, Gloucester.

Ancestry
William H of the Magdalens married Mary MARSHFIELD - 22 January 1684, St Mary de Lobe, Gloucestershire ***

(Have had to just put H - because this website won't accept the surname)

His Will is on Ancestry

*** this marriage is written at the end of 1684 -

Forest of Dean records:

Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations 1637-1837 and Marriage Bonds 1730 -1823

19 January 1685 ***

William HITCHINS - aged 50 (c1635)

Widower

residence: St Mary Magdolent in the County of Gloucester

Mary MARSHFIELD - aged 40

widow

residence: Gloucester City

By Licence:

Event type: Marriage Allegations

Memoranda: Bonsman: Robert CUNLIFFE, Gloucester City

Transcriber's notes: Old style date 1684/5

William Hitchins Tailor of Gloucester

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 01, 2018, 14:39 (1996 days ago) @ Earthstem

?

Also on the Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations etc

is

24 January 1638

William HITCHINS
Widower

of Gloucester City

Anne HILL, aged 26, Widow of Churchdowne

by Licence

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 01, 2018, 14:42 (1996 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Another possible one/two in the Marriage Allegations etc

(but listed as HUTCHINS)

19 February 1679

William HUTCHINS

aged 40

Sarah HUNT - aged 32

residence: PAYNSEWICKE

by Licence

Memoranda: At Paynswicke or Hempsteed

Bondsman: Humphry HUTCHINS, Gloucester City, Ironmonger

----

Ancestry has marriage at Painswick, Glos, 20 February 1679 of William HUTCHINS to Sarah HUNT

---

4 September 1680

William HUTCHINS
Widower
profession: Tailor

Mary MORGAN, Spinster

residence: Trinity, Gloucester City

by Licence

Transcriber's Notes : at Trinity or Matson

Humphrey H IT C H E N S

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 01, 2018, 14:55 (1996 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Think 'we are getting somerwhere' (hopefully)

Re the marriage of William HUTCHINS, aged 40 in 1679 and Humphry HUTCHINS as a Bondsman (in previous reply)

--

Ancestry

Baptism at Gloucester, Holy Trinity

30 June 1642

Humphrey H I T C H EN S

Father: Willia H I T C H E N S

(had to split the surname up as it wouldn't let me submit with the full surname)

----

?

Humphrey H I C K I N S - buried at Gloucester St Nicholas - 10 September 1711

looking at the entry on Ancestry think it reads H I T C H I N S

HI T CHENS/H U T C H I N S

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 01, 2018, 15:42 (1996 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Google:

English Phonetic Surname 1750 - onwards, known spellings - search also for

HITCHINS search also for HUTCHINS

HITCHINS search also for HICHINS

etc

then we have

at Gloucester Holy Trinity

William HUTCHINS

5 July 1619

Spouse: Margaret ELDRIDGE

----

Margerie ELDRIDGE christened 20 October 1587 Hartpury, Glos :

Father: JOHN

The Will of John ELDRIDGE of Hartpury dated 1614 is on Ancestry and talks about his daughter Margerie, his wife and other children.

----

and then a possible:

William HUTCHINS christened at Incom Gloucesterhisre 7 August 1599, father: JOHN

----

???
Baptism at Hasfield, Gloucestershire

28 February 1655

Eleanor HUTCHINS, father: William HUTCHINS

and on the Forest of Dean Licences etc.

26 September 1678

Elinor HITCHINS aged 23, Spinster, (c1655) of Gloucester City

to marry

Richard PAINE, aged 30, Tailor of Hasfeild

by Earthstem, Saturday, November 03, 2018, 01:40 (1995 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you SO MUCH!!! Old William was a bit unlucky in life if these are all his wives :)

Yes I have a couple of trees running on Ancestry (main one is Hitchins Kirk), have a couple also looking at Painswck, Ampney Crucis, but the gravity seems to be around Hasfield and later St Nicholas/Holy Trinity - superb find on the Mary Morgan link.

Based on his will in 1687 he only seemed to leave anything to Mary (his "now wife") and his son William - the tricky part is tying the son William down to a specific mother, and of course a specific father! John of 1599 looks interesting also. I have my weekend planned now, thanks again, really!

Rgds George

by Earthstem, Saturday, November 03, 2018, 02:45 (1995 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

As marriage to Sarah Hunt included Humphrey as Bondsman, he was born to William so that rules out john as a possible father in 1599. Ages for William match here to being born in 1638 as at 40 in 1679.

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, November 03, 2018, 09:00 (1995 days ago) @ Earthstem

Had a very quick look this morning and in previous reply gave the death of Humphrey in 1711 - and also on the Bond states his occupation was an Ironmonger.

---

? whether this belongs to the same family

There is on Ancestry and Inventory for Humphrey HUTCHINS - dated 1714 - (late of the City of Gloucester) and in this case, Humphrey's occupation is a FISHMONGER - Signed at the end by Thomas HUTCHINGS

The Will on Ancestry of Humphey (spelt as written) HUTCHINGS, - went to Chancery 14 April 1735 - but his Will was written - September 1713 and mentions his wife, Elizabeth and son Thomas.

---

Licence:

Marriage Allegations for Humphrey HUTCHINS, of City of Gloucester, fishmonger, and Elizabeth POACH of Upton St Leonard
aged 27 - 31 January 1713

Witnesses: Walter POACH of Upton St Leonards

by Earthstem, Sunday, November 04, 2018, 07:39 (1994 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks - just did a bit on Ancestry and there was a Thomas being born to a Richard of Dursley and quite a few Hitchins come from Cam and thereabouts. They are all within a day's horse ride anyway!

RSS Feed of thread