How old is a spinster? - marriage of Richard Nelms 1841 (General)

by BonnieNelms, Saturday, November 25, 2006, 10:49 (6365 days ago)

Hello,
I have the certified copy of an entry of marriage between Richard Nelms and Eliza Baldwyn 1841 Oct 16. It says she is of age. Her circa birth is 1826 (from 1841 Silver St Abenhall) 1825 from the christening record in Mitcheldean. Still that makes her 15 or 16 years old in 1841 right? So how old is a spinster?
I hope this doesn't mean that I've lost the connection to the Baldwyn family.
Help me understand again, please.

Bonnie - Bonita Nelm(e)s

How old is a spinster? - marriage of Richard Nelms 1841

by gwrmad @, Caister on Sea Norfolk, Saturday, November 25, 2006, 12:13 (6365 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

Hi there according to my dictioary a spinster is an unmarried woman especially one past the normal age of marriage or one not expected to marry so maybe she had a ailment like a bad leg ,only one eye or was deaf this is quite often a reason why they were not expected to marry.

by bertha, Saturday, November 25, 2006, 21:54 (6365 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

I don't know if the term 'spinster' in 1841 was any different from the term 'spinster' in the 21st Century. I was married in 1984 and as I had not been married before the term 'spinster' is on my marriage certificate. I have all my limbs etc!! I think broadly speaking the term 'spinster' is just one that means the fact that the woman is unmarried at the time of the marriage, the same as a man is termed 'bachelor' if he is unmarried.

How old ? - Spinster / context

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, November 25, 2006, 22:02 (6365 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

These words need to be judged in the context they are used :-

So in the Legal context of BMD's etc :-

With parental consent they were able to marry from age of 14 and 12 , over 21 no parental consent required , under Hardwicks Marriage laws of 1753 (?)

Spinster in its general sense just means status of female unmarried- its opposite being batchelor. ( other recorded status would be widower or widow, and occasionally divorced)

In the context of a Novel /Film etc :-

Spinster seems to often imply or be used with, an older female !

How old ? - Spinster / context

by rsligi @, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 21:55 (2172 days ago) @ slowhands

A Spinster > it comes from the fact that Weaving Mill owners would not employ married women so the term Spinster derives from a woman of employable age working in the wool/cotton trade and it would define her employment status. It started up north and soon became a common expression across Britain to indicate a single woman.

by jimashton @, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 03:03 (6364 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

Hi Bonnie
I'm sure you are now fully acquainted with the description Spinster - I married one as well !!
I'm more interested in the Eliza Baldwin who married Richard Nelmes. I have an Eliza Baldwin in my family tree baptised 3.7.1825 Abenhall with parents James and Ann. I have this Eliza as marrying a John Bennett 31.5.1846 Abenhall (see this web site parish records) and one of the witnesses was Charlotte Baldwin and Eliza happens to have a sister Charlotte. This Eliza is not related to me but is connected as her brother George baptised 15.11.1829 Abenhall married a Jane Burris 16.2.1851 Abenhall they had 6 children and one of them - Lucy married Timothy Marfell. I have incidentally, been unable to find John Bennett and Eliza in the 1851 Census and I hope "Slowhands" will swiftly put this right !!
Jim

Eliza BALDWIN 1826

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 03:54 (6364 days ago) @ jimashton

James Baldwin abt 1806 Gloucestershire, England Abinghall Gloucestershire
Ann Baldwin abt 1796 Gloucestershire, England Abinghall Gloucestershire
David Baldwin abt 1834 Gloucestershire, England Abinghall Gloucestershire
Eliza Baldwin abt 1826 Gloucestershire, England Abinghall Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Baldwin abt 1838 Gloucestershire, England Abinghall Gloucestershire
George Baldwin abt 1830 Abinghall Gloucestershire
Sophia Baldwin abt 1840 Gloucestershire, England Abinghall Gloucestershire

< The ages are rounded i.e 15,35, 45, except for the "yung uns">

< there may well be another Eliza with Parents James and Ann in the area>

Eliza BALDWIN 1826

by jimashton @, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 05:15 (6364 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands
Have you quoted the 1841 Census for James Baldwin & Ann - who are (in my opinion) the parents of Eliza Baldwin born 1826. I have the 1851 Census for this family and you will see that Eliza is not there as she married John Bennett in 1846 Abenhall, but her daughter Sarah born 1849 is staying with her grandparents :

1851 Census Abinghall
BALDWIN James 48 Labourer Abinghall
Ann 56 Little Dean
David 18 Labourer Abinghall
Elizabeth 13 Scholar Abinghall
Sophia 11 Scholar Abinghall
BENNETT Sarah Grand Daughter 2 Abinghall

David baptised 24.8.1833 Abenhall goes on to Marry Mary Malson 2.11.1853 Abenhall and there are Malson families in close proximity. Sophia was baptised 18.1.1840 Abenhall.
Parents here James Baldwin 1803 & Ann 1795 were married Abenhall 1.2.1825.

There is a possibility of another James Baldwin & Ann around the same time as there is a Mitcheldean christening for a George 15.11.1829 and a George Abenhall 8.11.1829. They could be the same person, the baptism for Eliza is at Mitcheldean 3.7.1825, but the census family matches the baptisms. I have an entire Marfell family were baptised twice at different churches, which as you can imagine caused me some confusion.

Eliza BALDWIN 1826

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 05:21 (6364 days ago) @ jimashton

Jim

The two George's is probably the area i need to look into further :-(

< I'm sure I have the correct BALDWYN line now, lurking in Upper Lydbrook all the time ;-) >

by jimashton @, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 06:00 (6364 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

Bonnie
Further to the question of the age of a spinster, I have just looked at the Parish Record for the marriage between Richard Nelmes & Eliza Baldwin that took place in Newland 1841. The significant thing here regarding the age is that whilst she is described as a spinster, which is a name given to any unmarried female regardless of age, the parish record also states "Full Age", which means - I think - over 21, i.e. born in 1820 or before.

I have 72 Nelmes in my Family Tree, but to put that in context, I also have 1463 Marfells, 314 Meeks, 294 Baldwins & 486 Brains. Most of the Nelmes information comes from my 3rd cousin with maiden name Nelmes, who also has a grandmother who was a Marfell. She has undertaken extensive research into the Nelmes family. I happen to be meeting her in London on Tuesday. If you can let me know further information about yourself before then via my email link such as parents, grandparents etc. I will ask if she has any information that might help in your researches. We will be meeting with another lady whose grandmother was a Marfell and great grand parents were a Marfell & a Baldwin, so she has done extensive research into the Baldwin Family.
Jim

by BonnieNelms, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 09:07 (6364 days ago) @ jimashton

Hello Jim,
You caught the very thing that bothered me on that marriage certificate ie of age or full age. This is why I asked how old a spinster was but I should have asked how old is of age or full age.
I fear once again that I did buy the wrong certificate and that Eliza Baldwyn isn't my GGG Grandmother after all. The Eliza that I'm looking for also died before the 1861 census.
Back to the search ...
Bonnie

by BonnieNelms, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 09:26 (6364 days ago) @ jimashton

Hello Again,
For your third cousin:

I'm Bonita Ann Nelmes, daughter of Steuart George Nelmes b. PA USA, his father was also born in PA Howard Frederick Nelmes 1902 Sept 29, his father was Howard Thomas Nelm(e)s b 1876 Oct 26 West Dean, Glous, Eng (I have his bith certificate) and his father was John Nelm(e)s born 1846 Dec 9 and registered in Coleford, and last in my search is Richard Nelm(e)s circa born 1819 married to a Eliza. I have other info but I keep getting bumped off this server of mine. Hope this is familiar to your cousin.

Bonnie

Richard Nelms 1841 etc

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 09:51 (6364 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

I have updated the Richard NELMES and Eliza BALDWYN thread , the Abenhall < red herring> has been corrected ! I think it all ties in now.

by jimashton @, Thursday, November 30, 2006, 01:26 (6361 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

Hi Bonnie
I did meet up with my Nelmes 3rd cousin, but I am afraid she had no information that would assist you.
Having shown how you "fit" in the enquiry you are making, I have found your great grandfather Howard Thomas Nelmes born 26.10.1876 in my family tree. His brother Frederick J Nelmes born 1875 married in Camberwell 1901 to Ada Blanche Marfell born Ruardean 1877. I tend to enter spouses siblings and parents in my Family Tree as though connected rather than related, they often crop up in subsequently discovered marriages.

1881 Census
Dwelling: Upper Lydbrook
Census Place: West Dean, Gloucester, England
Ref RG11 Piece 5225 Folio 110 Page 5
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John NELMS M 34 M West Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Coal Miner
Mary Ann NELMS M 32 F West Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Wife
Eliza G. NELMS 8 F Durham, England
Rel: Daur
Frederick J. NELMS 6 M Lydbrook, Gloucester, England
Rel: Son
Howard T. NELMS 4 M Lydbrook, Gloucester, England
Rel: Son
Emily A. NELMS 2 F Lydbrook, Gloucester, England
Mary A. NELMS 2 m F Lydbrook, Gloucester, England

by nelmsp, Friday, May 18, 2018, 14:09 (2173 days ago) @ jimashton

Hello Jim. I have traced my ancestors back to about 1650 around the border of Bucks and Oxon (Ickford, Shabbington, Great Haseley, Great Milton.

Wondering if there may be a connection.

Peter Nelms
Australia

by jimashton @, Friday, May 18, 2018, 15:57 (2173 days ago) @ jimashton

Hi Nelmsp & Bonnie

I received an email regarding the latest email in this thread, because of my 2006 posting.

Having re-read the thread it gives me the opportunity to correct some information, specifically His brother Frederick J Nelmes born 1875 married in Camberwell 1901 to Ada Blanche Marfell born Ruardean 1877.

Checking through my Family Tree this has been corrected. Ada Blanch Marfell born Ruardean 1877 did not marry Frederick J Nelmes, she married Tom Wood baptised 12 May 1878 Ruardean at Camberwell 19 Aug 1901 Marriage Reg Camberwell 3rd qtr 1901 1d1639. They had a daughter Nancy in 1902

I apologise for this error

Jim Ashton

by nelmsp, Friday, May 18, 2018, 14:07 (2173 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

Hello Bonnie. I have traced my ancestors back to about 1650 around the border of Bucks and Oxon (Ickford, Shabbington, Great Haseley, Great Milton.

Wondering if there may be a connection.

Peter Nelms
Australia

RSS Feed of thread