Yorkley to Monmouth in 1896 (General)

by NElkins, Monday, January 21, 2019, 21:52 (1914 days ago)

My researches have revealed a heavily pregnant lady living at Yorkley in 1896. She marries at the Monmouth Register Office in the 1st Quarter of 1896 and gives birth at the end of March.
Please can any one tell me how she might have travelled at that time?
NormanE

Yorkley to Monmouth in 1896

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, January 21, 2019, 23:00 (1914 days ago) @ NElkins

Hi Norman,
Well it's about 12 miles, so could be done by pony & trap. But more likely by rail, as all the area's railway companies were offering passenger services at about that time. Start at Parkend to Coleford on the S&W Joint Railway, then Coleford to Monmouth by GWR line.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_and_Wye_Railway

and also maybe http://www.deanweb.info/history2.html

by alison2 @, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 11:55 (1914 days ago) @ Jefff

To add to what Jefff has said, It would depend how well off People were, as to how they travelled. People used to think nothing of walking those sort of Distances then. My Grandfather used to walk around 7 miles to work every morning do a full days work as Timber feller and then walk home again.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, January 22, 2019, 17:02 (1914 days ago) @ alison2

Hi Alison,
yes I agree completely, in those times people routinely walked miles. I've read of miners who walked 5+ miles to & from work as recently as the 1950s, and directly thro' the forest including at night. A retired ex-miner I knew in Cinderford in the 1980s would often go for a "relaxing stroll" thro' the woods; despite being in his 60s he'd walk miles and at a very stiff "route-march" pace, those of us half his age struggled to keep up !

In Victorian times walking was normal for ladies and children too, with children regularly walking a few miles to school, sometimes in bare feet if really poor. Just one example again relating to my home town Cinderford, who's origins were at the far eastern end of the modern town towards Ruspidge in the late 1700s following the opening of the ironworks and the mines. However it was the mid 1840s before the town had it's own Church, St Johns. Before then, and for many years afterwards for those living at the western end of the town around Dockham and Bilson etc, their nearest church was Holy Trinity aka Forest Church on Harrow Hill near Drybrook which opened in 1817. Many of those church-goers then routinely walked to Church along the edge of Heywood, so about 2 miles each way, and all in their "Sunday best", with others coming from much farter-afield such as Littledean and Lydbrook.

However in this instance, with a heavily-pregnant lady and a much farther distance, then I think the railway was a more likely option. In those days tickets were far more affordable than they are nowadays, especially on special occasions.

J

by jhopkins @, Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 03:21 (1913 days ago) @ Jefff

And they kept up the pace when they migrated! My great grandmother, who came to NZ in 1860, used to walk all over North Canterbury helping women give birth, and she also used to take her eggs into town for sale each week - quite a distance, through uncut bush, and perhaps (initially at least) a bit unsure of her safety with local Māori given that the Land Wars had erupted again in the North Island about the time they arrived here.

Evidently, along with most other Canterbury settlers, they walked over the Bridle Path (from the port of Lyttelton to the Christchurch settlement) carrying many of their belongings. Quite a steep trek even today. My Dad told me that great granddad carried a table and great grandma carried a chair, but I think that story is a bit dodgy - who would give priority to stupid bits of furniture when they could be carrying tools, cooking gear, and bedding??!! And who carried the massive family Bible I would like to know! Someone did because I have seen it, and it is a great log of a thing, all leather covered and brass bound.

by NElkins, Thursday, January 24, 2019, 11:38 (1912 days ago) @ jhopkins

I have sent for the marriage certificate to see how close to the birth this marriage was.
From JHopkins reply I may have misjudged the toughness of our ancestors.
At the moment Pony and Trap are my favourite. It seems to me Yorkley to Parkend and then the walk from Monmouth across the river to the Register Office is still a good distance.
NormanE

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, January 25, 2019, 03:43 (1911 days ago) @ NElkins

Agreed Norman, but don't forget that in those days, as now, it was commonplace to hire a carrier to take people and/or goods to and from the local railway stations. And they may well have known someone with a pony & trap at their "home" end of the journey, perhaps a family member.

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, January 25, 2019, 08:29 (1911 days ago) @ Jefff

My Great Grandad, William WICKENDEN was a Haulier amongst other things - and also transported people place to place.

If you look at the Photo Gallery - for Blakeney - couple of pictures of his horses and carts + a lovely pic of a pony and trap with his Grandson, Regionald Wickenden who was born in 1897.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, January 25, 2019, 20:28 (1910 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Wow that's a wonderful set of photos you have M, thanks so much for sharing them.

Hopefully this goes direct to the photo of the beautifully turned-out pony & trap,
https://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/blakeney/pages/page_7.html

by NElkins, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 08:52 (1909 days ago) @ Jefff

I owe all of you who have been kind enough to help me and APOLOGY.

The arrival of the Birth Certificate, to my surprise said the marriage was at Coleford Baptist Church not at Monmouth. The birth was in two and a half months.
I seem to remember that all Non-Conformist weddings had the Registrar in attendance even in my time.
So friends I have the atmosphere of a non existent wedding from you and helpful background information.
Sincere Thanks
NormanE

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 21:18 (1908 days ago) @ NElkins

Not a problem Norman, no need to apologise. Main thing is you got there in the end,(NO pun intended !!) , and we all had a nice interesting chat on the way.
atb J

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Monday, January 28, 2019, 07:46 (1908 days ago) @ Jefff

Is this another example of how Coleford came under Monmouth jurisdiction so records show Monmouth for events that happened in Coleford? I've always been confused by that and have been caught out myself more than once.

--
Peter

RSS Feed of thread