Albion Inn, Cinderford (General)

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, March 06, 2019, 14:37 (1870 days ago)

In the 1861 census there's mentioned an Albion Inn, located at the Furnaces (bottom of what is now Victoria Street). William Hore is living there, listed as a coal miner, and his wife, Eliza, listed as the landlady.

I can't find any other information about the Inn. I thought it might be an earlier name for the Forgehammer but that is listed separately as is the Victoria and the Bridge so not that.

Anyone???

--
Peter

Albion Inn, Cinderford

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, March 06, 2019, 19:53 (1870 days ago) @ probinson

Hi Peter,
well I did wonder if was linked to Albion Road off Lower High Street Cindy, but seems not. The books I have only briefly mention it as being one of many long-lost pubs including "the Albion, Lancaster and Walnut Tree towards Cinderford Bridge".

The Glos Pubs site has a little more info, but not much, it seems it was only trading for maybe 10 years at most 1860-1870.
Search "Albion Inn" and you only have 7 pages to go thro. (I foolishly did "Albion" and found 50+, almost all in Cheltenham, oops !)
http://www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk/AllGlosPubsDatabase/AllGlosPubs_view.php

It gives the Albion's address as 99 Victoria Street, so yes not too far from the Forge Hammer at number 115, which was known as the oldest pub in town, and very busy, sadly I think it's now closed down...
The current 99 Victoria Street is a much newer building, like most of the street is.

This 1876 Trade Directory doesn't mention the Albion. (It's good to see these pages back online again after a few years off-air.)
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cbennett/genealogy/eastdean1876.htm

atb J

Albion Inn, Cinderford

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, March 06, 2019, 21:32 (1870 days ago) @ Jefff

Thanks Jeff,

I did look on the Glos Pubs website but didn't see it - but I see it now.

I think they are wrong about it being number 99 - that's just the schedule number which, as far as I understand it, is not the house number.

Glos Pubs also states the houses between the Albion and the Bridge have been demolished. That's not the case if you check the maps. A few have gone and several more have appeared but, generally, that's incorrect.

Strange, but when I saw the Glos Pubs entry I had a touch of déjà vu. Maybe I asked this before - can't find it if I did. But having been researching this area of Cinderford for some years I do find myself repeating things sometimes.

--
Peter

Albion Inn, Cinderford

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, March 06, 2019, 21:33 (1870 days ago) @ Jefff

Just a P.S. Jeff.

Do any of the books you have give any indication of it's location? That's what I really want to know.

--
Peter

Albion Inn, Cinderford

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, March 07, 2019, 20:12 (1869 days ago) @ probinson

Fraid not Peter re the books.

Fair point wrt the numbering on GlosPubs site, I'm not able to access the census images so know less than you do (no surprise there). But looking along Victoria Street on the Streetview images (which I see are already 10 years old!), I think it's fair to say the vast majority of housing along there are much newer than 1870s.

Have you tried searching the BNA site for it ? (not that it will tell you WHERE it was).
Or maybe visiting the Gage Library at the Heritage Museum, they may have something ?.

By the way, it's nice to know that it's not just me with an unhealthy interest in Cinderford's old drinking dens haha. That may explain why we both find ourselves repeating things, or possibly not, or ??? .....

atb J

Albion Inn, Cinderford

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Thursday, March 07, 2019, 21:55 (1869 days ago) @ Jefff

Fraid not Peter re the books.

I guessed not but thought it worth asking. Thanks anyway.

Fair point wrt the numbering on GlosPubs site, I'm not able to access the census images so know less than you do (no surprise there). But looking along Victoria Street on the Streetview images (which I see are already 10 years old!), I think it's fair to say the vast majority of housing along there are much newer than 1870s.

Going on it's position in the census it lies between the Forgehammer and the bottom end of Victoria Street or maybe even in Valley Road (though Valley Road didn't exist then). The houses in that area that were around at the time are still mostly there, just hidden behind the new(er) houses.

Have you tried searching the BNA site for it ? (not that it will tell you WHERE it was).

Must do that.

Or maybe visiting the Gage Library at the Heritage Museum, they may have something ?.

I actually emailed the Gage today to see if they have anything. I thought they used to have a list on their website of what they held but not anymore it seems.

By the way, it's nice to know that it's not just me with an unhealthy interest in Cinderford's old drinking dens haha. That may explain why we both find ourselves repeating things, or possibly not, or ??? .....

In my case, I think it's more my age. I wasn't much of a drinker when I lived there. That didn't really happen until I moved to Abingdon. Back then, I think Abingdon had more pubs per mile than anywhere.

I do remember a lunch time in the Railway Inn though when I was supposed to be in College. Spent the afternoon stretched out on a bench if I remember. I've never drunk beer since.

Those were the days eh?

--
Peter

Albion Inn, Cinderford

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, March 08, 2019, 02:22 (1868 days ago) @ probinson

Yes they were great days in so many ways, hard to believe now when I go back, which isn't very often, that Cindy was a lively prosperous town in my drinking days c1980, not that I could drink much then or even now, still enjoyed doing the rounds tho. That said I only did the Railway once as I recall it, and yes like you a lunchtime out of the Tec. I recall during a particularly thrilling lecture one day 3 of us did a list of Cinderford's pubs n clubs that were open then and were amazed to come up with over 20, the Forge Hammer being one of the best.

So why did Abingdon have so many pubs, don't recall it having too much heavy industry, or was it to satisfy the BL car workers during the 70s days of strife n strikes haha.

Good luck with the Gage Library, I'll ask around too.

ps no I also did the Railway at the end of a New Years Eve pub crawl around that same time, early 80s, can't imagine it now but we started at the Woodlands "Hotel" nitespot out on St Whites Hill then walked back into town and down to the Railway as was near a close friend's house, took in a few pubs that night for first and only time in my life, most of my drinking days were, like you, a few years later when moved to west London - albeit being led-astray by a lad who I first met at work there but was originally from Monmouth !.

Albion Inn, Cinderford

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, March 08, 2019, 10:21 (1868 days ago) @ Jefff

I think Abingdon probably got it's pubs due to it being a market town so it would have had a lot of visitors at one time. But, despite living in the area for nearly 40 years, I don't know much about its history.

--
Peter

RSS Feed of thread