Jackson's in the FOD (General)

by Ian Jackson, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 01:21 (1864 days ago)

Hi Everyone named Jackson.
My name is Ian Jackson. I am from NZ. My branch of the jackson family emigrated to NZ around 1874. They were mainly from Ruspidge and Westbury-on-Severn. I will be visiting the FOD mid August 2019 and spending some time researching the family. I'm hoping that members of the family are users of this website and that I can get some communication flowing before I arrive.

The earliest Jackson was Tom with his wife Rosannah Apperley together with 3 children born in FOD. They went on to have a further 7 in NZ.

HELP-would be grand to hear from the extended family.
PS: I understand there is a butchery in Cinderford called Jacksons??- Could be family!!!

many thanks

Ian Jackson

Jackson's in the FOD

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 09:46 (1864 days ago) @ Ian Jackson

Hi Ian,

Jackson is a common name in the Forest. A quick search of 192.com came up with over 180 in Cinderford alone. Do you have any more details?

I see there's some previous threads on Jacksons and Apperleys. Looks like some previous questions from yourself. Might be a good idea to summarise what you already know to help narrow the search down a bit.

Good luck anyway.

--
Peter

Jackson's in the FOD

by Ian Jackson, Thursday, March 14, 2019, 10:28 (1864 days ago) @ probinson

Thanks Pete, I will go back through my earlier research and post what I have.

Jackson's in the FOD

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 20:21 (1760 days ago) @ Ian Jackson

Hi Ian,
welcome to the forum.
As you will have hopefully read, the forum's guidelines remind us this site is not aimed at searching for living relatives. And as Peter has already said, the Jacksons are fairly easy to find on the net, including in Cinderford which happens to be my home town, although I've not lived there for several years.

However I can confirm that the Cinderford Butchers you mention are still in business, Streetview and other online sources confirm they are Dave and Jean Jackson, their shop is at 14 High Street. Their shop front can be clearly seen on Streetview, along with their phone number, they are in one of the parade of "New" shops just above the Triangle ("new" as in built in the early 1970s haha).

Another name that appears in the various online sites, and who I first thought might be the butcher, or a relative, is this gentleman;

Birth Details
Number of entries matching criteria entered: 1
Child Surname Child Forename Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
JACKSON Dennis John WEAVING 1932 Forest of Dean Westbury on Severn, East Dean 35 456

The FreeBMD give you his Marriage record;

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1954
JACKSON Dennis J PHELPS F. of Dean 7b 1003
Phelps Joyce K Jackson F.of Dean 7b 1003

And GlosBMD confirms this is in Cinderford;
Marriage Details
Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
JACKSON Dennis John PHELPS Joyce Kathleen Forest of Dean Cinderford Woodside St Stephen 1954 4 241

You could use FreeBMD to find probable birth records for their Jackson/Phelps offspring.

Another online listing of Cinderford tradesmen dated 2005 suggests he was involved with the Mount Pleasant pub on St Whites Hill Cinderford, although his name doesn't appear on this detailed history within the GlosPubs website. This pub is on the very southernmost edge of Cinderford where it meets Ruspidge, and I believe it's still trading. Best to open this link in a new tab or window, and go to Section 3.
http://www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk/Forest_of_Dean_Cinderford.php

I won't repeat it in full on this free-to-view public forum, but if you search his name in the company directorship type websites you'll find a full postal address for him in Ruspidge, I have no idea how uptodate this may be.

I'm a little disappointed as I'm sure that when I was still in Cinderford in the 1970s one of the town's main Chemist shops was Jacksons, but to date I cannot find any more information about them at all.

I've searched the various old Trade Directories (looking under East Dean as well as Cinderford), but so far cannot find any mention of Jacksons.
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cbennett/genealogy/index.htm

Finally, have you tried searching the Sungreen Old Photos site ?. As we'd expect it has a few photos from the Cinderford area which include Jacksons. If you wish to contact any of those people who contributed photos then you can do so using it's online contact form, the following might be worth following up;
https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Cinderford/EasternColliery.htm
(Miner Ray Jackson worked at Eastern United at Ruspidge, it employed upwards of 1000 men at it's peak).

https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Cinderford/Ruspidge-Band-1939.htm
(Several members of the Jackson family mentioned here)

Good luck Ian, and don't forget if you need any advice regarding your visit to the Forest in the summer, searching this forum should find several prior threads with hints and tips for people like yourself visiting the Forest for the first time, often from abroad.

------------

PS.

Ian, please can you make yourself contactable by direct email so I can contact you privately off the forum, thanks. See these instructions,
https://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/help-faq#faq8

I've also found some background re the owners of the Jacksons Chemist shop I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately for you they are not local people, Chemist Alec Jackson was from Yorkshire, his wife Muriel was from Jersey, Channel Islands, they moved to Cinderford in 1970 and despite having no relatives locally they soon made themselves very popular indeed.

Hope to make contact, atb J

RSS Feed of thread