Scowles early 20th century question (General)

by keepthemusic, Sunday, August 04, 2019, 20:02 (1721 days ago)

Hello- my parents live in the White House, Scowles, and recently a lady came along the Burial Path and got talking to my mum, and mentioned that she remembered that in the early 20th century at some point (I think she said 20s or 30s) a young maid to the actress living in the house at the time drowned in the well in the garden of the house.

This is a very interesting story, however I have seen conflicting information- one source says there were never any wells in the Scowles at all- but on the other hand one of our elderly neighbours says she remembers the location of the well!

I just wonder if anyone out there may know anything about this- we know very little about the history of the house and it would be brilliant if someone could share any stories about it,either related to this or otherwise.

Scowles early 20th century question

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Sunday, August 04, 2019, 21:48 (1720 days ago) @ keepthemusic

Old maps show the location of wells and a quick look shows none in the Scowles.

--
Peter

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, August 05, 2019, 08:59 (1720 days ago) @ keepthemusic

This is the occupants on the 1939 Census put together for the issue of Ration Books etc

White House
Scowles
Coleford

Ballinger

Robert J E born 1 December 1891 General Farm Labourer
Ellen N born 2 April 1896 Unpaid Domestic Duties

Plus record officially closed.

Married woman all where classed as Unpaid Domestic Duties and if people could still be alive there is a 100 year rule

Checking the records in this site.

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, August 05, 2019, 09:24 (1720 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Robert John E Ballinger birth 01/12/1891
Death O4/1978 Forest of Dean

He’s on Electoral Rolls and

UK Royal Marines Register of Service Military 11/12/1915

Electoral rolls VICTORIA Rd just a few doors away from the 1939 census

Etc

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, August 05, 2019, 09:39 (1720 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Robert born Coleford, is on the 1911 Census at Crossways Farm Scowles Rd Coleford with his parents John and Lucy and family next door to Emma Griffiths of Oak Cottage.

—-

Apologies for not adding as much info as norm, but working slowly on small lap top at my Son’s family home puppy sitting whilst they enjoy French sunshine!

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, August 05, 2019, 10:16 (1720 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I’ve been looking at Electoral Rolls on Ancestry (Scowles) and cant see White House as yet!

by ScowlesBoy @, Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 17:35 (1698 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I don't know if the following will be any help and, indeed, you may already have the following info.

The White House is/was the last cottage on the right as you leave the hamlet to walk to Coleford via the Recreation Ground. I wasn't aware that the Ballingers had lived there because, when I was a youngster on the village, Bob Ballinger and his son Trevor did, indeed, live in Victoria Road, Coleford. As you leave the recreation ground vis the Angus Buchanan gates immediately on the left is the entrance to the cemetery together with it lodge. Ballingers lived in the first house on the left after the cemetery.

I'm sure you're also aware of the excellent site that Tom Bint has put together on the Scowles. If not you can find it at:

http://www.dance-family.com/scowles%20hamlet.htm

by ScowlesBoy @, Tuesday, August 27, 2019, 17:42 (1698 days ago) @ ScowlesBoy

I forgot to add that the original Red House had a well in its outbuilding. It was never used in my memory as we were on mains by then. We eventually took part of the outbuilding into the house to form a larder over the well - kept it beautifully cool!

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, August 05, 2019, 10:19 (1720 days ago) @ keepthemusic

This bears at least a resemblance to the event.

BNA Cheltenham Chronicle - Saturday 23 May 1925

TRAGIC AFFAIR NEAR COLEFORD.
Young Woman's Body Found In Reservoir.
A distressing tragedy occurred near Coleford on Tuesday evening, the body of Miss Grace Dowle (24), daughter of Mr. Martin Dowle, a quarryman of Palmer's Flat near Coleford, being found in a reservoir. For the past three years the deceased had acted as companion-help to Miss Phyllis Coghlan, of Windy Ridge, The Scowles, near Coleford. Miss Coghlan had been absent from, home during the evening, and on her return missed the girl. She was not disconcerted by this until she discovered a note in deceased's handwriting, which so alarmed her that she immediately hurried to Coleford and acquainted Dr. Battle with the contents. The doctor motored to the Scowles and as a result of his investigations discovered the body of the missing girl in the reservoir in the court adjacent to the house. The reservoir is seven feet deep, seven feet long, and four feet wide, and the aperture at the top is quite a small one. With assistance, Dr. Battle recovered the body, and the local police were informed.

There certainly was an actress of that era called Phyllis Coghlan. She was born in Australia in 1895 and died in America in 1980. An actress of the same name was active in England during at least the first part of the twentieth century and got a few mentions in the newspapers of the time. However, I can’t find anything to confirm it’s the same person or anything to link her to the Forest.

by HarryBrook @, Monday, August 05, 2019, 12:50 (1720 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

The 1911 census included a Phillis (sic) Jane Cole COGHLAN, spinster, age given as 45 years, occupation - none, born Mallow, County Cork, Ireland, living alone at The Nook, Scowles, Coleford.

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, August 05, 2019, 16:03 (1720 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Phillis is on the Electoral Roll at Windyridge, SCOWLES 1919 til 1925.

On the 1939 Census Phillis Coghlan born 25 December 1865 of private means is living at House called Croigroy, Ross and Whitechurch

Grace is on Forest of Dean Inquests

RSS Feed of thread