Possible Transcription Error (Parish Records)

by marycallen2 @, Sunday, October 27, 2019, 12:55 (1633 days ago)

Hi,

I've started to look again at my Bradley family. On Ancestry I've found an entry for the baptism of James Bradley son of John nd Mary in Ruardean in 1784 on October 30th. The image of the parish register is also there and James' entry shows as the only baptism on 30th October.

I've started to look at the line and so did a check on the parish records here to see other children and perhaps get an idea of marriage date. James doesn't appear in the list but Richard does with the same baptism date and parents. Looking at the register image on Ancestry there is no entry for Richard but the previous entry of William Wheelar(?) shows Richard as the father.

Is it possible for this to be verified please?

Possible Transcription Error

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, October 27, 2019, 16:44 (1632 days ago) @ marycallen2

Very quickly looked at Ancestry for you and it would seem

Ruardena -

30th October 1784 James the Son of John & Mary Bradley, was baptised

There is a tree on Ancestry which gives the parents as John BRADLY and Mary GRIFFITHS who married in Monmouth 24 Mar 1787

?children of John & Mary BRADLEY start appearing in Ruardean in 1784

? Baptism at Hope Mansell - 18 January 1782, George BRADLY, parents: John & Mary, residence: Hamlet of Newland

---

Marriage at Monmouth St Mary's 24 March 1787

John BRADLEY - of Ruedean, Glous, and Mary GRIFFITHS (by Licence) - witnesses: William VAUGHAN and Thomas EVANS

----

Richard - 1784
Charlotte - 1786
John - 1787
John - 1789 -
Elisabeth - 1789 - Mitcheldean
Hannah - 1791 - Ruardean
George - 1793 - Ruardean
Thomas - 1795 - Newent
Ann - 1797 - Mitcheldean
Moses - 1797 - Ruardean
Edmund - 1802 - Ruardean

etc etc

not quite sure if all these are the same couple - but if you use the Advance Search - this is useful.

Using the Advance Search - at Ruardean - John & Hannah, George & Elizabeth, Richard & Mary, BRADLEY etc - appear to be having children baptised and some christian names appear to be family names.

There is a Richard WHEELER who married Mary BRADLEY in Ruardean - 19 Jan 1764 - plus the marriages of some of the above male BRADLEY's

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, October 27, 2019, 19:10 (1632 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

?

In previous reply

At Hope Mansell baptism 18 January 1782

George BRADLY - parents: John & Mary, residence: Hamlet of Newland

---

Marriage at Newland, 19 February 1781

John BRADLEY and Mary WILLCOX

witnesses: Richard BRADLEY and Mary EVANS

? Is this the same John - ? is this his first marriage

by marycallen2 @, Sunday, October 27, 2019, 23:25 (1632 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Hi,

Thank you for looking for me. I was stuck with James for ages as census reported Ruardean as place of birth and I couldn't find him.

I think I've now found a long line in Ruardean.

James is the son of John Bradl(e)y baptised Ruardean in 1762 and Mary Willcox. They married in Newland in 1781.

John's parents John Bradl(e)y baptised 1728 and Hannah Meek baptised in 1725. They married in Gloucester in 1753. Ancestory has a copy of what appears to be John's will which shows his affectation for Hannah.

John snr parents were Richard Bradl(e)y baptised 1701 and Mary Wills who married in Walford in 1725.

Richard was baptised in Ruardean in 1701. His parents were Richard and Elizabeth.
I've found a baptism for Richard snr in 1677 and several for his probable - father another Richard in Ruardean. I need to sense check this especially the earlier ones. h I think I need to look at the wider families and burials to cross check and validate.

best wishes

RSS Feed of thread