George Mason 1802- missing from 1841 census (General)

by Lolly @, South Wales, Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 14:40 (1402 days ago)

Hi,
I'm a newbie- stumbled across this site when I googled an ancestor and it brought me to this site on another thread. It's fantastic !
Looking for a little help if possible please....

I'm looking for George MASON, b 1802, East Dean. Married Lydia Jones b 1803, Ruardean.
They had 4 children that I can find.. Thomas 1829, Lydia and Charlotte (twins) 1830 and Rebecca 1834.
I cannot find any of them on the 1841 census and was wondering if anyone could give me any clues as to where I may be going wrong.
I have found George, Lydia and the children other than Charlotte on the 1851 etc.
Thanks in advance
Laura

George Mason 1802- missing from 1841 census

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Friday, June 19, 2020, 02:27 (1401 days ago) @ Lolly

Hi Laura
Welcome to the Forum.
Unfortunately I cant help you with your 1841 Census request. They just aren't recorded on the two Census districts for Ruardean in 1841 although the Census Enumerators handwriting is very "flowery" and hard to follow.
Looking at an Ordnance Survey Map of the district published in 1883 it is full of quarries and collieries both used and disused so i guess there would have been plenty of places for your "quarryman" to work.
Looking at daughter Rebecca's baptism record , the family were living at Ruardean Woodside in 1833
and in 1851 Census the family were living at Ruardean Hill so based on this information they would have probably have been somewhere in this area as both places are close together.

Do you have much information on the family before George and also the children's marriages etc ?
e.g. I believe daughter Lydia married a Joseph Whittington in 1854. Rebecca Mason was a witness.
also
Rebecca looks like she married a quarryman George Mason in 1860.

There are other older posts on the Forum which may help you . Without knowing more about your ancestors, it is hard for me to know but if you type "Whittington" in to the search box you should see quite a few previous posts. Some of these may be your ancestors.
e.g. One of the posts i saw had the Whittingtons working at Strip-and-at-it Colliery as well as Trafalgar Colliery.
You might get similar previous posts by searching for "George Mason" etc.

Of course you might have already done this.
While poking around records looking for your oldies, i was surprised at the number of people with the family name of "Mason" who were either Masons or Quarrymen by trade, although I think that might have been the original idea of surnames to describe a persons occupation.

Good luck

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Friday, June 19, 2020, 03:09 (1401 days ago) @ Lolly

Hi again,

Another possibility for George Mason (Baptised 2nd July 1802)
If you click on "resources" at the head of this page, then click on "Register of Freeminers"
Enter George Mason and you should see that a George Mason born in 1802 was registered as a Free Miner on 15th September 1838.
Address recorded as "Briarly"

Briarly is close to Woodside where daughter Rebecca was recorded as living when baptised in 1833.
It is also close to Ruardean Hill where the family was living in 1851 Census.

Looks like a possibility .

Have you used the National Library of Scotland's Historical Ordnance Survey Maps online ?
I find it very helpful (and time wasting although fun) to get an understanding of how close locations might be and sometimes provides other clues.

Good luck

by Lolly @, South Wales, Friday, June 26, 2020, 17:17 (1393 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Thanks so much for your replies... I will have a look at all the suggestions.
Really appreciate it
Cheers
Laura

RSS Feed of thread