Marriage (Parish Records)

by Gordon James @, Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 14:16 (1283 days ago)

Taylor
I am researching an Emma Taylor born around 1832, She was probably born in Bristol,
Her sister was Luna Ann Taylor who married Richard James 1rom Bream in 1847
Emma had an illegitimate son Henry born in Herefordshire in 1856 and he was brought up by Richard and Luna Ann James.
I believe and am not sure Emma may have married a George Powell in 1862 and this information is on the Parish Record 212097.
The problem i have with this is the Parish Chapel is given as Whitchurch for the Banns. It is registered on the BMD records as Monmouth March 1/4 11a 21 so it exists,
At that time in 1862 Herefordshire was i believe the registration area and that was changed to Monmouth later.
I have tried to find this couple on the census returns for 1871 and after but with no luck. She was given as being from West Dean
However there is a Whitchurch near Bristol and a couple matching them are shown on the 1871 census as living and born in Mangots field and that is only 5 miles or so from a Whitchurch bordering Somerset and Gloucestershire,
So there are two Whitchurch but i am sue that the one near Bristol is not considered as being registered as Monmouth.
Can anyone help as i am going round in circles with this.
The father of Emma Taylor was Matthew Taylor and he died i believe in 1837 but Emma and her sisters were living in Alvington in 1841.
Her sister Johanna married James Ellaway from Alvington in 1836

Marriage

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 16:26 (1282 days ago) @ Gordon James

Baptism on the Forest of Dean records...... Henry is aged 4 on the 1861 and 1871 census (Bream Eaves).....

----

Bream

(Christmas Day) - 25 December 1856, (born - Oct 15)

Henry TAYLOR, father's Forenames - not stated

Mother: Emma

residence: Breem Eaves

--

George POWELLL who married Emma TAYLOR, 1862 - at West Dean, Christchurch.

Emma of Joyford, West Dean, gives her father's name as William TAYLOR, occupation: Woodcutter.

Marriage

by Gordon James @, Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 17:04 (1282 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you for the help, Definitely not her marriage as her father was Matthew Taylor and a Cooper.
Her son is no problem as i have information about him from the census returns etc but have no idea where his mother is after his birth.

Marriage

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 17:26 (1282 days ago) @ Gordon James

My husband decends from a long, long line of Coopers.

Ancestry does have

Register of Appentices etc.

23 August 1802

Master: Matthew TAYLOR. City of Bristol. occupation: Cooper

Apprentice: John FARRARS

---

Matthew TAYLOR, married Esther PENRY, 1786, at Bristol

Matthew TAYLOR, married Sarah GILLETT - 29 August 1809, Bristol

Marriage on Ancestry

By Licence:

29 August 1809

Matthew TAYLOR, of St James in this City, (COOPER) and Sarah GILLETT of this Parish - married by Licence.

in the presence of William POWNALL, Mary BOLTON, Thos HARRIS.

Assume Matthew & Sarah TAYLOR - are the parents of the children mentioned ....

----

Bristol, Non-Confirmist Baptist, Marriage and Burials 1793-1838

Wm James TAYLOR, son of Matthew & Hester TAYLOR from the Parish of St Nicholas was buried 29 July 1794in No. 3 by mr Thos VASEY

---

Burial at Bristol St James
MATTHEW TAYLOR, aged 68 c 1769 : residence: St Peter's Hospital

Burial at Bristol St James
SARAH TAYLOR, aged 62 yeares c 1783 - residence: St Peter's Hospital

---

The burial in 1837 - you mention, the year of birth given for Matthew TAYLOR is 1769 -

---

The Licence in 1809, could show whether, Matthew was a Widower - or whether Matthew - who married Sarah TAYLOR was Matthew Jnr? ??

Used to be able to check Bristol Wills on line - but seems unavailable now.

Marriage

by Gordon James @, Friday, October 16, 2020, 15:54 (1280 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you for the information.
I have got a marriage for Matthew Taylor to a Johanna Hoskins in 1826 in Bristol It ties up with the Hoskins family in Alvington so i am confident of that.
I also have the info on the Cooper apprentice in 1802 and for him to tech he would have been a master Cooper and i guess probably in his 20's to 30's or even older. His assumed birth date at 1769 would be about right .
Johanna Hoskins was a born about 1795 in Alvington so a big difference in ages but i believe he was a widower The nearest guess i got towards this was a for a Elinbeth Hicks with a marriage in 1790. Her age was similar to his . However he was illiterate as he signed with an x. On his marriage to Hoskins he signs it so that would suggest its the wrong person.
2 of his 3 daughters were born before the 1826 marriage and the 3rd one was born around 1832. That would suggest to me that the first two were from a different mother. That marriage would have occurred around 1800 +/- 5 years say.
Anyway i will follow up your leads.
Regards

RSS Feed of thread