Thomas and Martha Harris of Westbury on Severn (General)

by Definitely_maybe, Sunday, November 22, 2020, 20:43 (1251 days ago)

If anybody is able to share any information/records for a Thomas Harris (b1809) and his wife Martha (b1813) I would be extremely greatful.

I believed they lived at Westbury on Severn. The 1851 census shows them living at Horsepool bottom with children George, Melinda/Belinda, Matilda and Harriott.

However my search beyond 1851 is road blocked... I cannot trace back to Thomas nor Martha's roots. I have run several national searches and no clear matches. If anybody has access to any local records I would be very greatful for any help/advice.

Thomas and Martha Harris of Westbury on Severn

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Sunday, November 22, 2020, 21:49 (1251 days ago) @ Definitely_maybe

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Have you tried a search of Parish records on this site ?
Or a search of previous posts on this site ?
I did a quick search and the following looks promising :-

I searched for Harris children with Thomas and Martha as parents. Several possibilities came up.
Picking two of them,
Matilda..Baptised 30th October 1842 Abenhall Parish. Collier living Little Dean Hill
Harriett.. Baptised 9th March 1850. Abenhall Parish. Collier living at East Dean.
Witnesses. George Mason and Ann Phelps.( This is a name i have seen crop up before)

Then search for Thomas and Martha marriage based on possible marriage spread of dates gives up :-
17th June 1832 marriage of Thomas Harris to Martha Malson in Newnham Parish Church.
Both living in Hundred of St. Briavels.

Then a quick search of previous posts shows one relating to a branch of the Malsons family migrating to New JerseyAmerica.

The above looks to me like it is your family. If so, a more comprehensive search of this site should provided more results.
Also , if you are not familiar with the actual location of place names (from previous centuries) which will be mentioned during your searches have you tried locating them on historical maps ? I find this can prove helpful. If you would like suggestions let us know.

Good luck

Sid Toomey

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Sunday, November 22, 2020, 21:51 (1251 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Sorry,
Witness at marriage should read George Malson. (not Mason. my computer has a mind of its own)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Sunday, November 22, 2020, 22:33 (1251 days ago) @ Definitely_maybe

Hi again,

A search of Parish Records transcripts on this site for Martha Malson Baptism gives the following.
Baptised Abenhall Parish on 4th October 1812.
Parents William and Catherine Malson.

Then based on a possibility that witness George Malson at Matha's wedding might have been a relative and might have been born around the same time as Martha gives us .
George Malson. Baptised 11th September 1808 at Abenhall.
Parents. William and Kitty. (could Kitty be Catherine ?)

Then, on the previous posts part of this site under MALSON/MALSOM immigrated to New Jersey USA, George Malson comes up in the replies with also 1841 Census details.

Also, user name "Danny" in one of the replies mentions he is the G.G.Grandson of Martha and Thomas Harris.

Looks like their yours.

Should keep you busy during lockdown ?

Sid Toomey

by Definitely_maybe, Monday, November 23, 2020, 06:54 (1250 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Hi Sid,
Thank you for getting back,I really appreciate it.
My family tree search has took me around the UK but for sure this is the best local site I have come across. I spent alot of time yesterday reviewing previous posts and learnt alot. I didn't spot the parish records link however- so apologies if I have asked for a search I could have done myself if I had read the whole site!
This all looks very promising. I think these records all match up I will dig a bit deeper later today.
I am descended from Thomas/Martha's son George b1834. George's son (George) left FoD for the Yorkshire North Riding only to later return. Some of his children remained in northern England. If anybody is exploring this please let me know I may be able to help.
Jonathan

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, November 23, 2020, 09:02 (1250 days ago) @ Definitely_maybe

There is a Public Members Tree on Ancestry for this family..... Here is the 1841 Census

Gloucestershire
Dean Forest
Ross
District 11
Horse Pool Bottom

William MALSON - 60 - Labourer - all born in County
Catharine - 60
William 20
Thomas HARRIS - 30 - Coalminer
Martha - 30
George - 7
Mateinda - 4
Lucya - 3

(if you look at the 1851 census - the page before at the bottom has)

William MALSON - 77 - Ag Lab. born Gloster, Abingham
Catharine - 73 - born Glos. Mitcheldean

and then

over the page

Thomas HARRIS - 42 - CoalMiner
Martha - 38
Belinda - 14
Harriet -1

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, November 23, 2020, 09:08 (1250 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

GRO Index - (free just register) helps finding the mother's maiden name (from 1837)

HARRIS, Harriet - mother's maiden name: MALSON

GRO Reference: 1850 M Quarter in WESTBURY ON SEVERN UNION - Volume 11 - Page 514

by Definitely_maybe, Monday, November 23, 2020, 19:21 (1250 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you MPGriffiths, those records match perfect. Very greatful for help received on this forum. Will be sure to post back and contribute the full FoD line once research is complete.

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, November 23, 2020, 19:35 (1250 days ago) @ Definitely_maybe

There is also on this website the ability to search for witnesses at weddings. Another useful tool, which sometimes help form family groups, friends etc.

by Chillyvon, Friday, October 22, 2021, 20:07 (917 days ago) @ Definitely_maybe

Hi , I’m descended from George Harris ( GG Grandfather)
Francis Reginald Harris (G father) nd Clifford Harris (father).
I am aware George moved to Middlesbroughf, he did return to Horsepool Bottom Gloucester I believe
Before once again returning to Middlesbrough.
Would be very interested in any information you could give me please.
Was horsepool bottom a gypsy settlement?
Look forward to hearing from you
Yvonne (nee Harris)

by Definitely_maybe, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 20:31 (597 days ago) @ Chillyvon

Hello Yvonne,

Nice to hear from you.

I am not in the Forest of Dean area but based on my research my best estimate as to the location of Horsepool Bottom is here
https://goo.gl/maps/4U3hbgFyymhLHhRPA

I agree my records show Thomas and Martha moving from Gloucestershire to Middlesbrough, back to Gloucestershire, then back to Middlesbrough! I have not been able to figure out a logical reason as to why. I do know Thomas was a coal miner which may explain.

One of the members on this forum pointed me in direction of martha malsons origins. Thomas remains a bit of a mystery though still researching on a part time basis. Please get in touch if interested in sharing information.

Jonathan

RSS Feed of thread