Thomas Davis marriage ~1825-1826 Newent (General)

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Monday, January 11, 2021, 19:50 (1198 days ago)

Thomas Davis was baptised 6.11.1791 in Newent to John Davis and Elizabeth nee Sterry.
I’ve found him on the 1841 census in Bran Green with his family. His wife is Maria (born 1806) and their children are Kaziah, Bartholomew, Prudence, Louisa and Martha. On the 1851 census, Maria has presumably died, and the other children now mentioned are Rebecca, Emma, Roda and Selina. Additionally from this site I notice they had twins Amelia and Judith as their first born in October 1827, but they both died very soon after.

I’ve found a burial of a Mary Davis in Taynton in 1849 aged 46 (which might be her as previous Davis’s are from Taynton), but what I can’t find is a marriage for Thomas and Maria (Mary?) around 1825/6.

Can anyone help?

Thomas Davis marriage ~1825-1826 Newent

by shepway @, Monday, January 11, 2021, 23:20 (1197 days ago) @ mikedavies

Some of the children were born after 1837 and by searching the GRO online we are able to establish Maria's maiden name. Here are 2 registrations:

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
DAVIS, REBECCA BOULTER
GRO Reference: 1842 D Quarter in NEWENT Volume 11 Page 333

DAVIS, EMMA BOULTER
GRO Reference: 1844 J Quarter in NEWENT Volume 11 Page 375

This tells us that her name was Maria Boulter and by searching the Parish Registers on this site we find that she married Thomas Davis on 26 October 1833 at St Michael Parish Church, Gloucester. Both are said to be "of this Parish".

It would appear that Maria lived to a good age. This looks like her burial:
Year: 1884
Month: Aug
Day: 8
Surname: DAVIS
Forenames: Maria
Residence: Bran Green
Age_at_death: 82
Officiating_Minister: L. Priestley Foster Vicar
Event: [not stated]
Cause_of_death: Burial
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P246 IN 1/7
Page_No: 42
Parish_Chapel: Pauntley

Also looking at the 1841 Census there is a Boulter family living very close to Thomas and Maria and family

Mike

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 08:55 (1197 days ago) @ shepway

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'd seen the marriage of 1833, and although there is a link with the Boulter family (one of Thomas's sister also married a Boulter) I'd discounted it for a couple of reasons, and maybe you can enlighten me?

1. Why did Maria and Thomas not marry until 1833, by which time they had had 5 children. Wasn't this very unusual?
2. Why marry 9-10 miles away from where they lived, and with them both said to be "of this parish", when all the children are born in the Brand Gren, Upleadon area?

Thanks also for reminding me that I can search on the GRO site. For some bizarre reason I've just used them in the past to order my certificates!

Mike

by shepway @, Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 12:31 (1197 days ago) @ mikedavies

I do not have an answer to your question and can only surmise that the local Incumbent refused as they had children outside marriage and maybe "living in sin". I also note on the 1841 Census that Maria is said be born outside the County and the 1861 Census gives her place of birth as Bosbury,Hfds.

Mike

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 17:38 (1197 days ago) @ shepway

Thanks Mike

I've double checked my information and checked baptism details for their children and agree that they probably didn't get round to marrying until perhaps a bit later than usual. A marriage away from locals would make sense as well.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 16:21 (1197 days ago) @ mikedavies

1. Why did Maria and Thomas not marry until 1833, by which time they had had 5 children. Wasn't this very unusual?
2. Why marry 9-10 miles away from where they lived, and with them both said to be "of this parish", when all the children are born in the Brand Gren, Upleadon area?

I've come across the same thing and I think it's probably more common than might be thought. They might have been known locally as husband and wife so married outside the area so locals were unaware of it.

--
Peter

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Tuesday, January 12, 2021, 17:41 (1197 days ago) @ probinson

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding. Having investigated a few branches of my family, I agree with you. I thought it was just some of my ancestors who had children prior to marrying!

I just wanted to check that I hadn't missed anything glaringly obvious.

Mike

RSS Feed of thread