Death of 2 Fijian men, Parkend Forestry School, January 1967 (General)

by Rhw, Tuesday, February 02, 2021, 18:13 (1178 days ago)

Hello, while looking through the burial records at St Paul's church, Parkend, I came across the burials of 2 young Fijian men on January 28th and February 3rd, 1967.. does anyone have any information about them? it seems very sad for them to die so young, so far from home..

Thanks, Ruth

Death of 2 Fijian men, Parkend Forestry School, January 1967

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, February 02, 2021, 19:07 (1178 days ago) @ Rhw

Can't find anything in the newspapers. Deaths were registered in Chippenham in Wiltshire for some reason. Probate for Kitione Vunisasari says he had nothing of value in England so presumably a visitor. Can't find anything on Serupepli Turuva beyond what you already know.

--
Peter

by obscurasky @, Wednesday, February 03, 2021, 02:04 (1178 days ago) @ probinson

They were students at the School of Forestry, down in the village. I believe they died in a car crash, but I'm afraid I don't know where, or why they were not returned home for burial.

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Wednesday, February 03, 2021, 02:25 (1178 days ago) @ Rhw

Hi

The Torbay Express and South Devon Echo Newspaper of 10th January 1967 carries a report of the accident.
Three people were killed in the two car crash at Pewsham near Chippenham including the drivers of both cars.
There was another Fijian passenger in their car who was injured but survived.
The students were returning to the Forestry School after spending Christmas with friends in London.

Hope this helps shed some light.

Sid Toomey

by Rhw, Monday, February 08, 2021, 10:52 (1172 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

hello and thank you three for this information. There's no family link, I was just interested in their background, very sad for them and their families.

It's really interesting what you come across in old parish records. Thank you again, best wishes stay safe, Ruth

RSS Feed of thread