Will of William Wood 1832 Clearwell (Jenkins family line) (General)

by pamarina, Sunday, July 04, 2021, 16:03 (999 days ago)

The following is taken from the Will of William Wood 1832 Clearwell in the documents file:
'I give unto my daughter Hester Jenkins All Club Monies and benefits arising from the club or
benefits society of which I am a member held at the George Inn in Little Dean in the said county
and kept by William Wood and kept in trust for my grandson William Jenkins to be paid to him
at her discreasion and also I give unto the said William Jenkins all my tools belonging to the nail
trade now in my possession'

Does anyone know what the 'Club', 'club monies', 'benefits arising from the club or benefits society' would be?

'I give devise and bequeath unto my daughter Hester Jenkins aforesaid my freehold house garden
shop stables and premises I now occupy (bought by me of Mr Fryer) for her sale use and
disposal upon condition of her paying the following legacies, viz unto my daughter Sarah Porter
the sum of fifty pounds twelve months after my demise.'

William worked as a nailer. Was this a fairly lucrative occupation? - he was able to afford to buy a house, garden, shop, stables, premises.

William Wood is my 5G Grandfather, the family line is: 4G Grandmother Esther Jenkins, 3G Grandfather James Jenkins, 2G Grandmother Elizabeth (Wood) Jenkins, all of Clearwell.

Could I say a big thank you to all those people who contributed information about the Jenkins family of Clearwell, many years ago? It has corroborated much of the information I had already found, and filled in a few gaps!

Pamarina

Will of William Wood 1832 Clearwell (Jenkins family line)

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, July 04, 2021, 18:51 (999 days ago) @ pamarina

Searched on the National Archives - and held at the Gloucestershire Records Office is

'List of Societies whose rules have been transmitted to the Register

Date Name Place of Meeting

Starts at in the year 1750

a number of the Forest of Dean area including

1826 Friendly Society, George Inn, St Briavels

Will of William Wood 1832 Clearwell (Jenkins family line)

by pamarina, Sunday, July 04, 2021, 21:07 (999 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Many thanks, I'll add this to my list of things to research, if I manage to get to the Gloucestershire Records Office!
Pamarina

RSS Feed of thread