Cutter (General)

by lamplighter10, Monday, January 24, 2022, 02:28 (795 days ago)

Does anyone have any information about a Mary Cutter who married William Hillman 25 December 1822 (the date I have on paperwork which seems strange, a wedding on Christmas Day?) in the Parish of Newland.
Thank you
lamplighter 10

Cutter

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Monday, January 24, 2022, 05:56 (795 days ago) @ lamplighter10

Hi

On this site in the Resources tab there is the ability to search Parish Records for transcriptions of records.
On 25th December 1822 there is a marriage of William Hillman of Parish of Newland marrying
Mary Cutter by Banns in the Parish of Bicknor.
There is a notation on the transcription which says that the brides family name was hard to read so best guess given.

on the 15th February 1824 in English Bicknor father was a labourer.
Child was John Hillman.

Looking at Ancestry site it is possible to view the actual parish record entry for the marriage.
The surname is hard to read but my guess would be Collee.

There are various family tree on Ancestry which have the brides maiden name as "Coley"

On this Forum Parish record search for children of William and Mary, there are also numerous births in Lidbrook with the fathers occupation as a Tin Sealer or a variation of this occupation.

Hope this helps.

Cutter

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, January 24, 2022, 19:07 (794 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Just checked on the GRO index…. General Register Office, for the maiden name of mother of Mary Anne Hillman, christened 12 April 184O at Drybrook

HILLMAN, Mary Ann. : Mother’s maiden name: CULLEY
GRO Reference : 1840 M Quarter ROSS volume 26 Page 199

and Henry Hillman christened at Bishopswood 30 March 1845

GRO index

Gives the mother’s maiden name as COLLEY

Cutter

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, January 24, 2022, 19:16 (794 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

There are records on this site for the surname CULLEY in English Bicknor ….

Bicknor is where the Banns were read.

Cutter

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, January 24, 2022, 17:58 (794 days ago) @ lamplighter10

My husband’s Grandparents married on Christmas Day 1909 in Wiltshire.

Cutter

by lamplighter10, Tuesday, January 25, 2022, 04:07 (794 days ago) @ lamplighter10

Thank you for your replies. Will see if I have any luck with the name guesswork.
lamplighter10

Cutter

by lamplighter10, Thursday, January 27, 2022, 04:27 (792 days ago) @ lamplighter10

Thank you! I have a copy of a child's birth certificate in which the mother's name is written as 'Çolley' which makes me think this would be correct.
Thanks to all
lamplighter10

RSS Feed of thread