Where is exactly is Broad Stub? (General)

by Chris O\'Sullivan @, Saturday, July 16, 2005, 06:49 (6860 days ago)

I am in receipt of a Will dated 1834 in which a place called "Broad Stub in the Hundred of Saint Briavels" is mentioned. I cannot find any reference to this place. Does anyone know where it is/was?
Regards
Chris

Where is exactly is Broad Stub?

by Brian Ellis, Saturday, July 16, 2005, 10:12 (6860 days ago) @ Chris O\'Sullivan

I cannot pretend to know the area at all well but there is a Broadstone and nearby Broad Meend, like yourself I cannot find a Broad Stub in all the likely places, perhaps someone knopws of a more up to date name which will link it to this area of St Briavels?

Good luck in your search

Brian

by Dennis Meek @, Saturday, July 16, 2005, 11:54 (6860 days ago) @ Brian Ellis

The Hundred of St. Braviels is west and east of the River Wye. On the 1886 map of Monmouthshire there is no mention of Broad Stub but there is a mention of Broadstone, which in the 1830's may have been written as two words.
As the will must have been handwritten I suggest you check the wording closely to see if it actually is 'Stub'. Hope this helps.

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 16, 2005, 12:05 (6860 days ago) @ Chris O\'Sullivan

»
» Does anyone know where it is/was?
»

Some more context might help here !

Several candidates spring to mind Broadoak, near Newnham; Broadstone nr Stroat; Broadrock nr Woodcroft.

RSS Feed of thread