JORDAN Lydbrook (and EVERSON) (General)

by bexxi @, Friday, December 07, 2007, 03:27 (5986 days ago)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say hello and state my main FoD interests. I live in Germany and have been researching my Welsh / English heritage for about ten years.

Among other things, I have two large databases of JORDAN and EVERSON families, both centred on the Forest and Monmouthshire but with extensive connections elsewhere. Anyone else with connections to these families is more than welcome to ask me if I have any information on what they're interested in.

I have not yet been able to establish clear links between my Jordans and the other Jordan families in the Forest, but I thought I'd give a quick(ish) rundown of the main players in my own tree, including the Eversons as they also had Forest connections. They seem to have been a fairly itinerant lot.

Generation 1
Thomas JORDAN married Ann DUNN 9 March 1788 in Mitcheldean.

Children were:
i. Francis JORDAN, bap. 1790, English Bicknor.
ii. Thomas JORDAN, b. 1790, English Bicknor; d. January 1850, Tintern Abbey MON. (Note: Thomas Jordan owned property in Upper Lydbrook which he willed to relatives, but correspondence shows there was a dispute of some sort; his sister Harriet was living in Lydbrook in 1851, though).
iii. Mark JORDAN, b. 1795, Lugwardine; d. July 1835, Monmouth.
iv. Harriet JORDAN, b. 1802, Upton Magna, SAL. (Married Benjamin GRICE)
v. Richard JORDAN, b. 1802, Upton Magna, SAL; d. 1858, Covington, KY. (Married Mary JONES)
vi. Dessimore JORDAN, b. 1807, Upton Magna, SAL; m. William BUDDING, 7 April 1828, Llanwenarth, MON.

Generation 2
Mark JORDAN married Mary EVERSON, daughter of John EVERSON and Ann TURLEY, in Monmouth. She was born 1803 in Monmouth.

Children were:
i. Charlotte JORDAN, b. 1829; d. 1906, Whitchurch, GLA aged 76.
ii. Elizabeth JORDAN, b. 1833; d. 1877, Whitchurch; m. Richard BROWN, 29 October 1857, Whitchurch St Mary’s.
iii. James Powell JORDAN, b. 21 December 1826, Monmouth; d. 18 April 1913, Whitchurch.
iv. Mark JORDAN (died young).

Generation 3
James Powell JORDAN married twice AND both brides were his first cousins, daughters of his mother’s brother!

(1) He married Charlotte EVERSON 19 October 1850 in Bethany Baptist Chapel, St Mary Street, Cardiff, daughter of William EVERSON and ANN Grice (Ann was the sister of Benjamin mentioned above). Charlotte was born 7 April 1829, and died 1864 in Whitchurch Village, aged 35. They had four children, all born Whitchurch GLA.

(2) He married Rhoda EVERSON 13 March 1865 in Cardiff Register Office, daughter of WILLIAM EVERSON and ANN GRICE. She was born 8 March 1832 in Monmouth, and died November 1883 in Whitchurch. They had two children, both born Whitchurch GLA, one my great grandfather River JORDAN.

I'd be excited to hear from anyone with potential links to this family, and I'd be pleased to try to help anyone who'd like me to check my catabases for their own JORDAN or EVERSON connections.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Davies

JORDAN Lydbrook (and EVERSON)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, December 07, 2007, 04:19 (5986 days ago) @ bexxi

.... of course "both" families make use of the christian name River, but that is probably coincidence :-)

an example

James Jordan abt 1827 Monmouth, Monmouth, Wales Head Whitchurch, Glamorgan
Rhoda Jordan abt 1832 Monmouth, Monmouth, Wales Wife Whitchurch, Glamorgan
River Jordan Jabt 1867 Whitchurch, Glamorgan, Wales Son Whitchurch, Glamorgan
Mark Wm Jordan abt 1868 Whitchurch, Glamorgan, Wales Son Whitchurch, Glamorgan

and

River Jordan abt 1834 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean, Gloucestershire
Christy Ann Jordan abt 1831 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean, Gloucestershire

EVERSON - Monmouth & FoD

by bexxi @, Thursday, March 15, 2012, 14:56 (4425 days ago) @ bexxi

I have posted about my EVERSON (and JORDAN) ancestors before on this forum but it's been a while now.

I thought it was time to have a fresh look at what I have and don't have on my various EVERSON strands, in case anyone else is interested in this family or has further information. Sorry if this is long-winded but I wanted it to have potential usefulness for others.

Edward Everson, 1748-1808

Edward was baptised on 25 March 1748 at Monmouth, the son of John (bap. Whitchurch HEF, 1707) and Susannah (nee Evans, bap. Dixton Newton 1708). At some point he moved West and married Mary MORGAN at Llantwit juxta Neath (GLA) in 1772. Most of the records that give a profession record him as a forgeman. Their first couple of children were baptised at Llantwit, their first son Edward (1773-1859) later settling at Neath Abbey. Several further children were baptised in Llandeilo (CMN), in the period 1779-1787. At least part of the family was in Newchurch (CMN) by 1795, where Edward got in trouble with the law in 1795 (NLW crime & punishment database). It seems that by 1799 his wife had died and he had remarried – wife Sarah – and a further child, James, was baptised on 13 January 1799.

The family must have returned to Monmouth in the next few years; Edward may have been the Edward Everson buried at Monmouth in 1808, and his widow Sarah (death certificate: “widow of Edward Everson, forgeman”) lived on until 1839, when she died at Monmouth Forge. Judging from her age at death, she was born around 1759, but I have no record of a baptism, marriage or burial for her.

I have a strong hunch that Edward and Sarah’s son James was the same James Everson that became a Scotch Baptist minister and moved to Beverley (YKS). How this happened is anyone’s guess (as those researching his life in ministry have agreed), but there is documentary evidence for him having gone there from Monmouth Forge; the 1851 census gives his birthplace as Monmouth (clashing with the place of baptism).

James Everson (bap. 1750??)

John and Susannah Everson of Monmouth had a number of other children, and one was James, baptised at Monmouth on 1 July 1750. Whether or not he is the same as the following can only be guessed at:

4 October 1776: marriage at English Bicknor of John EVERSON and Mary DUN (widow), both otp, by licence. Witness 1: Richard POWELL. Witness 2: James EVERSON

(John EVERSON could be a brother (see Monmouth baptism 1734), but this is pure speculation and there are other possible matches)

9 March 1788: marriage at Mitcheldean of Thomas JORDAN and Ann DUNN (my 4x great grandparents), both of the Hundred of St Briavels, by banns. Witness 1: James EVERSON. Witness 2: William MEEK

29 November 1828: James EVERSON was one of the witnesses to the will of James STYANT (1759-1839) which was made on this date at Red Hill Farm, Monmouth (PCC wills). The other witness was Mary JORDAN (nee EVERSON, 1803-1878), my 3x great grandmother, while the witness to the signatures was her maternal uncle John TURLEY. I am related to all the legatees named in the will but don’t actually know where James Styant or James Everson fit in. (It is just as possible that the James Everson in this record is the one born 1799.)

There are no further references to James Everson (1750) that I am aware of.

John Everson (c. 1775-1848)

John is my 4x great grandfather, the father of Mary in the record above. I don’t know where he was born; he married Ann TURLEY in Monmouth in 1796 and their children were born there. John and Ann were later in Neath for a while (1841 census; he was a forgeman) before moving to Whitchurch (GLA) to be close to their daughter.

In a draft letter dating from the mid-1850s to her brother-in-law Richard Jordan in the United States, Mary passes on greetings and family news to an “Uncle William Everson” who is also in the States. I have identified this as William Everson bap. English Bicknor 14 May 1775 (son of John and Mary), who married Elizabeth Winter (Lydney 1804) and emigrated to America in 1837, settling in Pittsburgh. Two of William and Elizabeth’s children emigrated earlier, travelling together with Richard Jordan and family in 1832.

William may well thus have been a brother of “my” John, but unfortunately there is no absolute evidence – he could conceivably also have been a cousin. I am also unsure whether William’s parents John and Mary are the same as those who married in 1776 (after William’s birth). There was another child Richard, baptised in 1779, who I have been unable to trace further.

William Everson (c. 1793-1857)

William Everson married Mary Ann PHILLIPS in 1825 at Newland – she was otp, he of Monmouth. They settled at Monmouth forge (yes, he too was a forgeman) and had nine children there (not one of whom I’ve been able to find a baptism for, however). When Sarah Everson, widow of Edward, died at Monmouth Forge in 1839, it was Mary Ann who was present at the death. This leads me to the idea that William may have been a son of either Edward and Mary or Edward and Sarah.

The Eversons were still at Monmouth Forge in 1841 but had moved to Wolverhampton by 1851; on the 1851 census both William and Mary Ann gave their birthplace as Clearwell, but I’ve never found a baptism for him anywhere.

---

Do please get in touch if you are connected to any of these individuals or if you are interested in further information on the descendants of any of these individuals.

Best,
Rebecca

George MEEK/Elizabeth WHEATSTONE English Bicknor 1786

by bexxi @, Monday, October 08, 2012, 17:15 (4218 days ago) @ bexxi

I've been trying to identify the parties in this marriage and thought I'd just ask if anyone else has any concrete leads on them from their own tree. My reason for asking is that both witnesses are "brick wall" ancestors / relatives of mine, so I'm trying to follow up any clues I can find. I'm afraid I don't know anything else about the bride or groom.

Record_ID: 63577
Year: 1786
Month: Oct
Day: 19
Grooms_Surname: MEEK
Grooms_Forenames: George
Groom_Condition: Widower
Grooms_Residence: of the parish of Ruardean
Brides_Surname: WHEATSTONE
Brides_Forenames: Elizabeth
Brides_Residence: of this parish
Licence_or_Banns: Licence
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: John Everson
Witness_2: Ann Dunn
Officiating_Minister: John Copner (Clerk)
Register_Reference: P138 IN 1/6
Page_Number: 52
Parish_Chapel: English Bicknor

Best,
Rebecca

John EVERSON / Mary DUNN English Bicknor 1770's

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, October 08, 2012, 17:59 (4218 days ago) @ bexxi

My reason for asking is that both witnesses are "brick wall" ancestors / relatives of mine, so I'm trying to follow up any clues I can find.

Year: 1776
Month: Oct
Day: 4
Grooms_Surname: EVERSON
Grooms_Forenames: John
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition:
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: DUN
Brides_Forenames: Mary
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: Widow
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Licence
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: He signs she marks
Witness_1: Richard Powell
Witness_2: Mark of James Everson
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Ja[mes Meredith (Rector)
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes: She and witness 2 marked but such was not stated.
Register_Reference: P138 IN 1/6
Page_Number: 37
Parish_Chapel: English Bicknor

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Thos Jordan / Ann DUNN Mitcheldean 1788

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 01:51 (4218 days ago) @ slowhands

Record_ID: 36938
Entry_Number: 17
Year: 1788
Month: Mar
Day: 9
Grooms_Surname: JORDAN
Grooms_Forenames: Thomas
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: [not stated]
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Hundred of St Briavels
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Surname: DUNN
Brides_Forenames: Ann
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: [not stated]
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Hundred of St Briavels
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns: [not stated]
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Mark of James Everson
Witness_2:Wm Meek
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: William Jones Curate
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P220 IN 1/6
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Mitcheldean
Soundex_Groom: J635
Soundex_Bride: D500

John EVERSON b1757 Ruardean, parents English Bicknor

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 02:18 (4218 days ago) @ slowhands

Possible Baptism of John Everson:

Record ID 54295
Entry Number
Year 1757
Month Sep
Day 18
Parents Surname EVERSON
Child Forenames John
Fathers Forenames George
Mothers Forenames Ann
Mothers Surname
Residence
Occupation
Officiating Minister Richard REECE
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference P275 IN 1/2
Page Number 47
Parish Chapel Ruardean

His siblings:

Record ID 54498
Entry Number
Year 1764
Month Feb
Day 19
Parents Surname EVERSON
Child Forenames George
Fathers Forenames George
Mothers Forenames Ann
Mothers Surname
Residence
Occupation
Officiating Minister Hen[ry] JONES/ G[uy] HILL
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference P275 IN 1/5
Page Number 9
Parish Chapel Ruardean

Record ID 54613
Entry Number
Year 1767
Month Aug
Day 2
Parents Surname EVERSON
Child Forenames William
Fathers Forenames George
Mothers Forenames Ann
Mothers Surname
Residence
Occupation
Officiating Minister John HARRIS/ G HILL/ Henry JONES
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference P275 IN 1/5
Page Number 12
Parish Chapel Ruardean

Likely Parent's marriage at English Bicknor:

Record ID 63490
Entry Number
Year 1756
Month Oct
Day 3
Grooms Surname EVERSON
Grooms Forenames George
Grooms Age
Groom Condition
Grooms Occupation
Grooms Residence of the parish of Ruardean
Grooms Fathers Surname
Grooms Fathers Forenames
Grooms Fathers Occupation
Brides Surname MORGAN
Brides Forenames Anne
Brides Age
Brides Condition
Brides Occupation
Brides Residence of this parish
Brides Fathers Surname
Brides Fathers Forenames
Brides Fathers Occupation
Licence or Banns Banns
Date of Banns 1756 Aug 5 12 19
Signature or Mark Both sign
Witness 1 Thomas Dobbs
Witness 2 William Davis
Other Witnesses
Officiating Minister Ja[mes Meredith (Rector)
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes Banns are on page 62 & have been combined with this entry
Register Reference P138 IN 1/6
Page Number 5
Parish Chapel English Bicknor

John EVERSON b1757 Ruardean, parents English Bicknor

by bexxi @, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 10:22 (4217 days ago) @ Jefff

Many thanks slowhands and Jefff for your informative replies. I'm definitely going to follow up the various MEEK individuals you mentioned.

Coming back to John EVERSON - there are other candidates for the 1776 marriage to Mary DUN (and yes, I'd love to know whether Mary was related to Ann DUNN - I've found no record of either other than the marriages mentioned):

Record_ID: 432451
Year: 1734
Month: Dec
Day: 8
Parents_Surname: IBERSON
Child_Forenames: John
Fathers_Forenames: John
Mothers_Forenames: Susanna
Event: Baptism
Parish_Chapel: Monmouth
Soundex: I162

Record_ID: 209131
Year: 1747
Month: Sep
Day: 20
Parents_Surname: IVERSON
Child_Forenames: John
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Elisabeth
Officiating_Minister: Wm Crawley Minister
Event: Baptism
Register_Reference: P145 IN 1/4
Page_Number: 4
Parish_Chapel: Flaxley
Soundex: I162

My (hopefully) educated guess is that both fathers in these records were sons of Henry IBYSON (sic, died 1720), baptised at Whitchurch HEF in 1707 (John) and 1720 (William) respectively. In turn, the George Everson who married Ann Morgan and fathered John Everson b. 1757 was most likely another son of John and Susanna Everson of Monmouth and was baptised there in 1732. John and Susanna had a number of children, also a James bap. 1750, who could be the witness at the marriage of Thomas JORDAN and Ann DUNN in 1788.

I just thought I'd add these details here in case they help someone else searching for members of this family. The different spellings of the surname make them hard to find, despite the marvels of Soundex & co. Having said that, I should certainly add that the Advanced Search function on this site has enabled me to find a lot more family members than would have been possible if I'd simply been guessing at spellings.

Best,
Rebecca

Mary and Ann DUNN

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 10:44 (4217 days ago) @ bexxi

Coming back to John EVERSON - there are other candidates for the 1776 marriage to Mary DUN (and yes, I'd love to know whether Mary was related to Ann DUNN - I've found no record of either other than the marriages mentioned):

I doubt they are blood releatives Mary is a Widow on her marriage to John

--

Mary and Ann DUNN

by bexxi @, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 10:50 (4217 days ago) @ slowhands

But there is some chance she could be Ann's mother... ;)

Mary and Ann DUNN

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 10:54 (4217 days ago) @ bexxi

But there is some chance she could be Ann's mother... ;)

It was only a doubt - always keep an open mind !!!

some possibles:-
1729 DUNN Thomas TROTMAN Mary Gloucester St Mary de Lode
1734 DUNN Terence HART Mary Gloucester Cathedral
1745 DUNN Thomas City of Glos COOK Mary City of Glos Gloucester St Mary de Crypt
1751 DUNN Nicholas CLIFFORD MARY Gloucester St Mary de Lode
1770 DUNN James St Nicholas Parish BEAL Mary St Nicholas Parish Gloucester St Nicholas

--

Life & Family of George & Elizabeth MEEK in Ruardean

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 03:28 (4218 days ago) @ bexxi

I suspect these are their children;

Record ID 55375
Entry Number
Year 1787
Month Jun
Day 3
Parents Surname MEEK
Child Forenames Elizabeth
Fathers Forenames George
Mothers Forenames Elizabeth
Mothers Surname
Residence
Occupation
Officiating Minister J H BEESTON - minister
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference P275 IN 1/6
Page Number 6
Parish Chapel Ruardean

Record ID 55429
Entry Number
Year 1788
Month Dec
Day 25
Parents Surname MEEK
Child Forenames Amelia
Fathers Forenames George
Mothers Surname
Residence
Occupation
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Page Number 9
Parish Chapel Ruardean

Record ID 55688
Entry Number
Year 1795
Month Apr
Day 19
Parents Surname MEEK
Child Forenames Charles
Fathers Forenames George
Mothers Surname
Residence
Occupation
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Page Number 24
Parish Chapel Ruardean

----------------------------------------------------------

Could this be the same family, a tragic end it seems ?

Record_ID: 311821
Entry_Number:
Year: 1811
Day: 6
Surname: MEEK
Forenames: George
Residence: of the Morse
Age_at_death: 55
Officiating_Minister: Richard Wood
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes: Not 33.
Register_Reference: P275 IN 1/6
Page_No: 74
Parish_Chapel: Ruardean
Soundex: M200
(So George born abt 1756)

Entry Number 4051
Year 1814
Month Jun
Day 27
Surname MEEK
Forenames Elizabeth
Residence Ruardean
Age at death 50 y[ea]rs
Officiating Minister G D Fosbroke Assistant Curate
Event Burial
Cause of death
Memoranda
Notes widow
Register Reference P275 IN 1/12
Page No 8
Parish Chapel Ruardean
(So Elizabeth born abt 1764)

And On The same day !?: cannot find an Inquest, but surely a tragic accident ??!!

Entry Number 4052
Year 1814
Month Jun
Day 27
Surname MEEK
Forenames Ann
Residence Ruardean
Age at death 20 y[ea]rs
Officiating Minister G D Fosbroke Assistant Curate
Event Burial
Cause of death
Memoranda daughter of the above Elizabeth
Notes
Register Reference P275 IN 1/12
Page No 8
Parish Chapel Ruardean
(So Ann born abt 1794)

------------------------------------------------------

Possibly young Elizabeth b1787 (a very popular Meek name!?):

Record_ID: 16594
Entry_Number: 891
Year: 1832
Day: 31
Grooms_Surname: COLLIER
Grooms_Forenames: John
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Walford
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Surname: MEEK
Brides_Forenames: Elizabeth
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Ruardean
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: both mark
Witness_1: William George
Witness_2: Eliza Collier
Other_Witnesses: Jonathan Harper
Officiating_Minister: Francis Duncan Off[iciatin]g Min[iste]r
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P275 IN 1/9
Page_Number: 39
Soundex_Groom: C460
Soundex_Bride: M200

Family MEEK in Ruardean, continued.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 14:26 (4217 days ago) @ Jefff

Record_ID: 16663
Entry_Number: 960
Year: 1843
Month: Aug
Day: 26
Grooms_Surname: GOODE
Grooms_Forenames: Richard
Grooms_Age: Of Full Age
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Collier
Grooms_Residence: Ruardean
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: [not stated]
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: [not stated]
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Surname: MEEK
Brides_Forenames: Amelia
Brides_Age: Of Full Age
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Ruardean
Brides_Fathers_Surname: [not stated]
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: [not stated]
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: [not stated]
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: He marks she signs
Witness_1: John Penn
Witness_2: Mark of Elizabeth Penn
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Henry Formby
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P275 IN 1/10
Page_Number: 22
Soundex_Groom: G300
Soundex_Bride: M200

1851 Census:
1976 1851 CENSUS HO107/1976 FF.0329 - 0359 ED.7 ROSS
Piece: 1976 Folio: 0346 Schedule: 078
Address: Ruardean

GOOD Richard HD M 33 Coal Miner GLS Ruardean (c1818)
GOOD Amelia WI M 30 - GLS East Dean (c1821)
GOOD Ann DA - 7 Scholar GLS Ruardean (c1844)
GOOD Susannah DA - 3 - GLS Ruardean (c1848)
GOOD Richard SO - 10M - GLS Ruardean (c1850)
MEEK George SS - 10 Scholar GLS East Dean (c1841)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record_ID: 10310
Entry_Number: 89
Year: 1867
Month: Jan
Day: 18
Surname: MEEK
Forenames: Charles
Residence: The Morse
Age_at_death: 71_ years
Officiating_Minister: William Barker
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death: [Not Sta
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P109 IN 1/12
Page_No: 12
Parish_Chapel: Drybrook
Soundex: M200
(So born abt 1794, ok; as is address)

Record ID 31403
Entry Number 23
Year 1823
Month Apr
Day 19
Grooms Surname MEEK
Grooms Forenames Charles
Grooms Age [not
Groom Condition [not stated]
Grooms Occupation [not stated]
Grooms Residence the Hundred of St Briavels
Grooms Fathers Surname [not stated]
Grooms Fathers Forenames [not stated]
Grooms Fathers Occupation [not stated]
Brides Surname BALDWIN
Brides Forenames Mary
Brides Age [not
Brides Condition [not stated]
Brides Occupation [not stated]
Brides Residence the Hundred of St Briavels
Brides Fathers Surname [not stated]
Brides Fathers Forenames [not stated]
Brides Fathers Occupation [not stated]
Licence or Banns Banns
Date of Banns [not stated]
Signature or Mark Both sign
Witness 1 Mark of William Baldwin
Witness 2 Mark of Hannah Smart
Other Witnesses
Officiating Minister Henry Berkin A M Curate
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference
Page Number 8
Parish Chapel Hope Mansell

1851 Census:
1959 1851 CENSUS HO107/1959 FF.0089-0116 ED.3A NEWNHAM 1
Piece: 1959 Folio: 0103 Schedule: 072
Address: Ruardeanhill

MEEK Charles HD M 55 Coal Agent GLS East Dean (c1796)
MEEK Mary WI M 52 - GLS Mitcheldean (c1799)
MEEK Jane DA U 26 - (Dumb) GLS East Dean (c1825)
MEEK Elizabeth DA U 20 - GLS East Dean (c1831)
MEEK Eliza M. DA U 17 Assistant Governess GLS East Dean (c1834)
MEEK Charles A.R. SO U 13 Scholar GLS East Dean (c1838)
MEEK Rhoda C. DA U 9 Scholar GLS East Dean (c1842)

NOTE: I thought researching "my" Jones line thro Lydbrook and adjoining Ruardean was difficult. However having dipped into my Meek relations before, researching this post and reading other associated threads have shown just how difficult the Ruardean Meeks can be to untangle. If land-ownership was based on family population alone, it seems likely to me that the Meeks shall indeed inherit the Earth, or at least Ruardean... ;-)

prior threads, for possible info, from several:
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=8549

EVERSON - Monmouth & FoD

by Lbirt1993, Monday, December 09, 2019, 21:39 (1600 days ago) @ bexxi

Hi Rebecca,
I’m connected to the Everson family! The John Everson you put - where did you find his information from? I’ve been stuck on him as I can’t find anything for his parents.
He’s my 5x great grandfather on my nans side (my nans great great grandfather)!

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

EVERSON - Monmouth & FoD

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 10:53 (1599 days ago) @ Lbirt1993

?

Which John EVERSON - there are quite a few in this thread!

Under Resources:

Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations: 1637 -1837 and Marriage Bonds - 1730-1823

Licence: Record ID 6725 Entry No 159

4 October 1776

John EVERSON - aged 30, Bachelor, occupation: Forge man (c1746) ***
residence: English Bicknor

Mary DUFF - aged 40 - Widow, residence: English Bicknor

Memoranda: To marry at English Bicknor, swon before James MEREDITH

Bond

Record ID 66836 Entry No 308

4 October 1776

John EVERSON, occupation: Forgeman, residence: English Bicknor

Mary DUNN Widow, residence: English Bicknor

----

Original on Ancestry read: Mary DUN

-----

----Baptism at Monmouth - 4 May 1746

John EVERSON, parents: John & Susanna

---

? before the marriage

Baptism at English Bicknor, 27 January 1771

Mary - daughter of John, (no mother's name) EVERSON

EVERSON - Monmouth & FoD

by Lbirt1993, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 15:52 (1599 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

The one who married Ann Turley

EVERSON - Monmouth & FoD

by grahamdavison @, Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 23:52 (1599 days ago) @ Lbirt1993

John EVERSON married Ann TURLEY by Licence at Monmouth, St Marys on 26 July 1796, both were of this parish. Witnesses: Ann Howell & Thomas Evans.

EVERSON - Monmouth & FoD

by bexxi @, Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 13:50 (1598 days ago) @ Lbirt1993

Hi Elizabeth,

How lovely to find someone else descended from this family! John EVERSON and Ann nee TURLEY were my 4x great grandparents.

Pretty much all the information I have is already elsewhere in this thread - some comes from a family bible, and a letter written by their daugher Mary revealed some further details.

I remain stuck on John's exact parents. The man I believe (from said letter) to be his brother, William, was baptised in English Bicknor in 1775, son of John and Mary. My John was born in about 1774 but I have never found a baptism for him. Someone recently reposted the details of a 1776 marriage for John EVERSON and Mary DUNN or DUFF, but I wouldn't have thought they were also the parents of these children born earlier, especially since the groom John was a bachelor when they married. Said groom *might* be John Everson baptised 1747 in Flaxley, as the marriage allegation states his age as 30 (and upwards). My own hunch is that "my" John's father might have been the John Everson baptised in Monmouth in 1732.

I'm sure that all these Eversons go back to John and Susannah (nee EVANS), who had up to ten children baptised in Monmouth between 1730 and 1752 (including John 1732). Maybe one day there'll be more of a breakthrough...

Best wishes,
Rebecca

EVERSON - Monmouth & FoD

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 16:25 (1598 days ago) @ bexxi

Have a very quick look using the Advance Search for witnesses using the surname EVERSON (just English Bicknor)

1 Jun 1770

James NUTT and Ann SAUNDERS

witness : John EVERSON

19 October 1786

George MEEK, Widower, of the parish of Ruardean
Elizabeth WHEATSTONE

witnesses: John EVERSON and Ann DUNN **

----

Marriage at Whitchurch 17 October 1762

Issac DAVIS - labourer, Langaron

Elizabeth JARRETT

witnesses: Wm EVERSON & James MORRIS

----

** Marriage at Mitcheldean 9 March 1788

Thomas JORDAN - hundred of St Briavels

Ann DUNN - ditto

witnesses: Mark of James EVERSON and Wm MEEK

EVERSON - Monmouth & FoD

by Lbirt1993, Thursday, December 12, 2019, 21:20 (1597 days ago) @ bexxi

Hi Rebecca,
It really is! That’s crazy! Which of the Eversons is your grandparents?
Thank you for the information - I haven’t managed to get that far just yet!
I think I have a breakthrough on John Everson’s parents!
Someone who is tracing the tree on Ancestry has Edward Everson (b. 1748 in Monmouth) married to Mary Morgan (b. 1774) and they have 2 (potentially more but this tree only has two - although I have come across one with more) one is ‘our’ John (1773) And the other is William (1775)!
And Edward’s parents as John Everson (1707) and Susannah Evans (1708)!

by 3hq8hRobD, Tuesday, December 03, 2019, 20:51 (1606 days ago) @ bexxi

Hi Rebecca, I've just seen your post on this forum, (I know it's been a while!)
I'm connected to the Everson family.
Samuel Everson (born 1822, son of Edward Everson & Phoebe Lewis), married Mary Joseph, my 2nd great grand aunt in 1856 at St John's church, Neath Abbey / Skewen.
Three of my grandmother's siblings were given the middle name of Everson.

Regards,
Rob

by bexxi @, Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 13:33 (1598 days ago) @ 3hq8hRobD

Hi Rob,

Great to hear from someone else with an EVERSON connection! Maybe you know this already, but the Edward Everson you mentioned (1773-1859), father of Samuel, was based in the Neath area for most of his life, though his father (also Edward, 1748-1808) was born and died in Monmouth and was thus definitely part of the Monmouth/FoD EVERSON family that my ancestors belong to.

Best wishes,
Rebecca

RSS Feed of thread