Constance Family Longhope (General)

by sophiewilliams @, Friday, February 14, 2014, 08:21 (3874 days ago)

I am researching the Constance Family of Longhope and would love to hear from anybody else who is researching them too.

Sophie Williams (nee Constance)

Constance Family Longhope

by patsy @, Monday, February 17, 2014, 13:52 (3871 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

Hi Sophie,

My Gt Gt Grandmother was CHARLOTTE CONSTANCE who m. THOMAS YEATES /YATES of MONMOUTH.

CHARLOTTE d. MONMOUTH but was buried with her father SILAS CONSTANCE in LONGHOPE.

SILAS sometimes recorded as CYRUS.

Hope to hear of your conection to the Constance line.

Regards, Patsy

by sophiewilliams @, Monday, February 17, 2014, 14:11 (3871 days ago) @ patsy

Hi Patsy!

Thanks for getting in touch. My line is through Charles Constance, son of Theophilus. charles had a son, Ivan, who was my paternal grandfather. I have done a tree on Ancestry and have come across Charlotte so will have a look to see how we are related!

Will be in touch soon.

Sophie

by patsy @, Monday, February 17, 2014, 15:00 (3871 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

Thanks Sophie,

I will look at Ancestry.

Patsy

by sophiewilliams @, Monday, February 17, 2014, 15:18 (3871 days ago) @ patsy

Hi Patsy

Can't find a connection yet .... When was Charlotte born?

by patsy @, Monday, February 17, 2014, 15:25 (3871 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

Charlotte Constance b. 1847 d/o Silas or Cyrus.

Silas was s/o George and Phoebe nee Meredith of Longhope.

Silas was a woodturner.

Think we possibly link via George.

Patsy

by shirley @, Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 16:11 (3869 days ago) @ patsy

You can find a lot of information about the Constance family on www.longhopevillage.co.uk - lots of memorial inscriptions listed. Hope it will be useful.
Shirley

by patsy @, Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 16:27 (3869 days ago) @ shirley

Thank you Shirley. Patsy

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 17:06 (3869 days ago) @ patsy

Good afternoon all,
Sophie, I suspect you probably know this, but did you know you can search this forum for old "Constance" threads which may interest you. I'm not a member of the Constance family at all, however my mother was Longhope-born and her father & grandfather worked at James Constance's Saw Mill, so as a frustrated-woodworker meself their industry is of great interest to me, hence some of my past posts as below. As Shirley wisely says the Longhope website is excellent and wellworth spending time browsing thro - I found it by chance while searching the net and was delighted to see a photo of my Grampy at the Mill, the earliest we've seen of him. It was especially exciting as my Aunt noticed the photo also included my GREAT Grampy too, the only time we've seen a pic of him. The Longhope website also drew my attention to a lovely book which starts off in Longhope and is highly-recommended, see below.

From my own clumsy attempts at "placing" the Constance family tree it's clear they were (still are ?) a widespread and influential name locally as farmers etc as well as the timber business. Just a few of this forum's prior "Constance" threads are below, I hope you find them useful, please consider searching the others out.

http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=41442
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=39185
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=35126

Hoping this helps, atb Jeff

by sophiewilliams @, Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 19:37 (3869 days ago) @ Jefff

Thanks Jeff

I've seen that photo too, I was wondering who the people were in it!

I have uploaded two photos to both this site and the Longhope one too, of the Constance Family at The Sawmills and of my GT grandad, Charley Constance, when he was the conductor of the Longhope WI Choir in the 1930's. Both these photos will be uploaded in due course I'm sure.

I will take a look at those threads!

Thanks Jeff

Sophie

Charley Constance, Longhope

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, February 20, 2014, 01:28 (3869 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

Hi Sophie,
does that mean your Charley was Charley Stephen Constance - son of Theophilus H (Harris ?) Constance who I think died abt 1918 ?. Not being nosey, just checking as I see there were a few Theophilus' (sp?) and indeed Charles' through the generations and I like to be sure I'm looking-out for the right people.

Re the Constance family in general, do you know the excellent "New Regard" Journal, published annually by the FoD Local History Society ?. It seems an article abt the Longhope Constances was included in their very first Journal, Volume 1, published 1985. It's details can be found in this index to all the articles; http://79.170.40.163/forestofdeanhistory.org.uk/New%20Regard%20Index%20(Combined)%20vol...
I suspect you've already seen this if you've searched the name on tinternet, as I just have, sorry if stating the obvious. If you're in the Dean area Cinderford and Coleford public libraries appear to have copies, hope this link to their online catalogue works,
http://capitadiscovery.co.uk/gloslibraries/items/380379?query=new+regard&resultsUri...

Alternatively you may be able to order reprints of the article, see their website homepage
http://79.170.40.163/forestofdeanhistory.org.uk/LHSnrprevious.html

Re searching the name on the net, I see another Charles Constance of Longhope was unfortunate enough to be in Westbury workhouse in 1881, I mention this in case you hadn't thought to perform this type of general search - it can be quite surprising how often this can give interesting finds.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/WestburyOnSevern/Westbury1881.shtml

I also found this handy summary of the Longhope census for 1851; I knew there were a lot of Constances in the village but hadn't recalled there being quite this many ! Compare that to just the one of my line, and a "vurriner" from t'other side of Gloster to boot. Glad he was clearly made welcome and stayed for life despite this "fault" ;-)
http://www.oocities.org/fedgeg/long-records/long51.html
Further reading shows this site carries lots of interesting history about the area, including details of some local families back to the 1500s.

This search also reminds me that the National Archives c/o Gloucester Archives hold records related to James Constance et al, as this link (hopefully) shows
http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=DServeA.ini&dsqApp=Archi...

I'm particularly pleased I've revisited these Archives, as I see they now have the Mill Apprenticeship papers for my GGrampy, now I really MUST visit them !

So, hope this is of interest, THANKS so much for helping with my research too !

Hi Jeff - Charley Constance, Longhope

by sophiewilliams @, Friday, February 21, 2014, 07:38 (3867 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff

Thanks once again for your very informative email! Very exciting news about your GT grandad's apprenticeship papers! I wonder if some of my relatives were in than photo too next to yours?!

Yes, my Charley is Theophilus (died 1918) and Julia's son. He was quite a character! He had a wife, Marguerite Cooper and one son, Ivan Constance (my paternal grandad) in Ross on Wye, where he had a music shop in Gloucester Road. He taught piano and drums and his wife too. This is where the piano tuning business eventually developed of Ivan Constance & Sons Piano Tuners. My uncle John and father, Stephen Constance continue and business today! Anyway, Charley had a mistress too in London and would CYCLE to London to see her. When Marguerite died, Charley married the mistress and had another son.

I must have a look at then journal you talk about, sounds very interesting!!

Thanks again for all your help

Best Wishes

Sophie

Theophilus Harris CONSTANCE Longhope 1834

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, September 23, 2024, 14:09 (5 hours, 27 minutes ago) @ sophiewilliams

Year: 1834
Month: Oct
Day: 12
Parents_Surname: CONSTANCE
Child_Forenames: Theophilus Harris
Fathers_Forenames: James
Mothers_Forenames: Sophia
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Longhope
Officiating_Minister: Cha[le]s Day Curate
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/4
Page_Number: 62
Parish_Chapel: Longhope

1841 Latchon, Longhope Lower,

James Constance Male 30 1811 Gloucestershire, England
Sophia Constance Female 30 1811 -
Theophilus Constance Male 5 1836 Gloucestershire, England
Hannah Constance Female 3 1838 Gloucestershire, England
Stephen Constance Female 1 1840 Gloucestershire, England

1851 Longhope,
James Constance Head Married Male 44 1807 Wood turner employing 20 men Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Sophia Constance Wife Married Female 44 1807 Wood turners wife Essex, England
Theophilus Constance Son Unmarried Male 16 1835 Wood turners son Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Hannah Constance Daughter Unmarried Female 14 1837 Wood turners daur Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Stephen Constance Son - Male 11 1840 Wood turners son Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Lucy Constance Daughter - Female 7 1844 Wood turners daur Longhope, Gloucestershire, England

1861 Cottage, Walk Square, Longhope,
Theophilus Constance Head Married Male 26 1835 Wood turner & clerk -
Julia Constance Wife Married Female 21 1840 - -
Arthur H Constance Son - Male 0 1861 - -
Maria Dawes Servant - Female 13 1848

1871 Street Olive Cottage, Longhope,
-Theophilus H Constance Head - Male 36 1835 Timber dealer Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Julia Constance Wife - Female 31 1840 Wife Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Arthur H Constance Son - Male 10 1861 Scholar Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Annie S Constance Daughter - Female 8 1863 Scholar Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Henry James Constance Son - Male 6 1865 Scholar Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Kate E Constance Daughter - Female 4 1867 Scholar Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Rosina M Constance Daughter - Female 2 1869 Daugh Longhope, Gloucestershire, England

1881 Olive Cottage, Longhope,
Theophilus H Constance Head Married Male 46 1835 Woodturner firm j.c.& sons Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Julia Constance Wife Married Female 41 1840 - Upton Bishop, Herefordshire, England
Annie S Constance Daughter Single Female 18 1863 Teacher pri school Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Rosina M Constance Daughter Single Female 12 1869 Scholar Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Charley S Constance Son Single Male 9 1872 Scholar Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Lucy S Constance Daughter Single Female 7 1874 Scholar Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Bertrand T Constance Son Single Male 5 1876 Scholar Longhope, Gloucestershire, England

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Constance Family Longhope, J.I.P. Rally ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, March 22, 2014, 20:23 (3838 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

Hi again Sophie,
thanks for posting the Longhope photos, I see my grandmother in the Choir photo and possibly her mother too, need to ask my mum.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/latest_additions/pages/page_2.html
I see that's from a newspaper, do you know which one, I presume the Gloster Citizen or more probably Journal ?.
I've searched the BNA site but cannot see the same article, although there are several mentions of Longhope Choir, Drama groups, Womens Institute neetings etc thro the 1920s to the 50s, our foremothers were quite prominent in both it seems. I'm pleased to see the BNA has recently added some more Gloster/Cheltenham papers to it's database, great stuff.
http://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/2014/03/06/7-5-million-newspaper-pages-now-on...

Actually, thinking again, the text below the photo suggests this is an old photo which has been posted in a more recent newspaper !

Have you seen this photo of Longhope Special Police from WW2, with some of yours in, you probably have but it's new to me. None of my ancestors are there, perhaps they were too shady !.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/glosterspecials/pages/page_7.html

-------------------

I hope you saw my mention of John Constance c1935 in the recent thread about the Order of Foresters, if not see
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=43408.
I will email you (and this site) the whole article if you like, again downloaded from the BNA site.

Re the Foresters while searching the BNA site tonight I saw this mention of another Constance

" ANCIENT ORDER OF FORESTERS. Mr. C. Harris, District Secretary of the Herefordshire Free Foresters, with Mr. E. S. Constance (Longhope ..."
Saturday 20 September 1924 , Gloucester Journal

Finally for now, also from the BNA search pages, a young sporting relative of yours. Does anyone know what this J.I.P. event was, please ?

"J.I.P. RALLY AT MINSTERWORTH “... High jump (juniors): 1. Mary Harvey (Minsterworth ; 2, L. Constance (Longhope); 3, T. Miles (Longhope) ... ”
Friday 24 July 1931 , Gloucester Citizen

Was it the Junior section of the Young Farmers, perhaps ???

---------------

Finally apologies for not having emailed you direct as I'd planned, I will soon, meanwhile I hope the postcards arrived safely and were worth the effort.

atb J

Constance Family Longhope, J.I.P. Rally ?

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, March 22, 2014, 22:55 (3838 days ago) @ Jefff

The full article shows that J.I.P. is the Junior Imperial League. It's full title was the Junior Imperial and Constitutional League. It was the forerunner of the Young Conservatives.

J.I.L. Rally, and enquiry re BNA site access.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, March 22, 2014, 23:36 (3838 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks a lot Mike, an interesting name that wouldn't catch on these days, no wonder my guessing & internet searches didn't find the correct answer beyond the more obvious first word !.

Perhaps I could ask one more question about the BNA site that you may be able to help with. I've recently noticed that FindMyPast are now offering very reasonably priced one month subscriptions to the FMP site, and that this also includes access to the BNA site. I've searched both sites to see if this short subscription, or indeed any other, imposes a limit as to the number of downloads that may be obtained from the BNA site. In the past I've used FMP via my public library, but this excludes the BNA access. I know subscribing direct to the BNA site include download limits, but as their shortest subscription (couple of days) seems to cost the same as a whole month to the FindMyPast site then on the face of it the FMP short subscription seems a good way to access the BNA and far more.

Thanks again, Jeff.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, March 22, 2014, 23:57 (3838 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff, not too sure I can provide too much help. My information comes from a sub to the British Newspaper Archives - something which is good value at the moment just for the fascination of browsing the lives of Gloucestershire people and events. Such luxuries might disappear after retirement (hopefully not too long).

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, March 23, 2014, 00:06 (3838 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Fair enough Mike, I know some of our regular posters use FMP over the rest but coundn't remember who, thanks for your reply anyhow.
Long may you continue to enjoy a happy & healthy retirement.

by AlecF @, West Sussex, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 09:58 (3054 days ago) @ Jefff

Jeff - in case you are still following this thread, or anyone else is researching the Constance family, is the James Constance with the sawmill the one who died on 25/11/1896? If so, he is my great-great-grandfather. Does anyone have any information on his father Thomas, wood turner, born probably around 1800-1809?
Alec.

James Constance 1805-1890, Longhope Saw Mills Owner.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 01:31 (3054 days ago) @ AlecF

Good evening Alec, and a belated welcome from me to this great forum.
As you may have gathered by now I don't have a full family-tree for the various Constances of Longhope, far from it, mainly because I'm not linked to the family as such, my interest is in the Saw Mills business and more recently it's Cricket club wrt my Wright ancestors. However I do know there were quite a few James Constances judging by this site's PRs, although I cannot see a Burial Record for yours from 1896 ??.

Anyhow, the James Constance who owned the Steam Saw Mills is detailed within this local newspaper report of his Funeral, which I downloaded from the excellent BNA site. This should help you to place this James within your own tree.

"LONGHOPE.
The Late Mr. J. Constance.— The funeral of the late Mr. James Constance, of Springfield House, Longhope, head of the firm Constance and Sons, wood turners, took place on Tuesday. The pall bearers and under-bearers were workmen employed by the firm. The Foresters' Friendly Society, of which the deceased was an hon. member, were largely represented. The mourners consisted of the three sons, Messrs T.H., G.W., and J.J.H. Constance, with Masters Bertie and William Constance, grandsons of the deceased, and Mr. H. Cooper, Gloucester. The burial place was at the parish churchyard. The officiating minister was the Rev. F. C. Guise, vicar. Mr. Henry Hampton, Chief Ranger, read the Foresters' Oration at the residence of the deceased, while the concluding part of the fraternal address was read by Bro. S. Chambers, Manor House. In the evening a muffled peal was rung on the church bells."

Saturday 26 April 1890 , Gloucester Journal.

The relevant Burial Record from this site's PRs is;

Record_ID: 22188
Entry_Number: 379
Year: 1890
Month: Apl
Day: 22
Surname: CONSTANCE
Forenames: James
Age_at_death: 84
Officiating_Minister: F.C. Guise Vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/11
Page_No: 48
Soundex: C523

This would appear to be his Baptism Record, again from this site's PRs;

Record_ID: 392078
Entry_Number:
Year: 1805
Month: Sep
Day: 15
Child_Forenames: James
Fathers_Forenames: Theophilus
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 128

So this man is indeed the James Constance I'd identified as the likely original owner of the Longhope Sawmills business in this prior thread;
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=41445

Baptisms for the son's named on the Funeral Report include;

Record_ID: 36054
Entry_Number: 490
Year: 1834
Month: Oct
Day: 12
Child_Forenames: Theophilus Harris
Mothers_Surname:
Officiating_Minister: Cha[le]s Day Curate
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/4
Page_Number: 62

NB, so by 1835 if not earlier James was working in the "family business" in Longhope, but why can't I find them in the 1841 Census, or his marriage which was presumably? in Sophia's home area in Essex ?.

Record_ID: 135397
Entry_Number: 73
Year: 1851
Month: Aug
Day: 24
Child_Forenames: James John
Mothers_Surname:
Officiating_Minister: Vernon G Guise Vicar
Memoranda: Son
Notes:
Register_Reference:
Page_Number: 10

Ancestry has James' Will dated 27th May 1890, which shows "woodturner and farmer" James died 17th April 1890 with a personal estate of almost £6500, his son Stephen Constance was one of the executors. I cannot yet find James & Sophia in the 1841 Census, neither can I find their marriage. However by 1851 he was definitely in business in Longhope employing 20 men at his saw mill.

1851 Census in Longhope;
Given Name Surname Relationship Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth Place
James Constance Head 44 1807 Male Sawmill owner, empl 20 men. Longhope, Gloucestershire, England
Sophia Constance Wife 44 1807 Female Woodham Walter, Essex, England
Theopilus Constance Son 16 1835 Male Longhope, Gloucestershire, England

This 1975 article detailing the history of the Forest's water-powered Mills includes the following brief mention of another Constance Mill in Longhope, which I don't think has been covered before in this forum;

"An isolated reference of 1821 refers to a paper mill in Longhope,worked or owned by Benjamin Constance. In 1840 Benjamin Constance owned some small fields in Veldt House Lane, Longhope. The site of the mill is a mystery..."

http://www.gsia.org.uk/reprints/1974/gi197408.pdf

-----------------

So Alec, it seems that this James is not your grandfather. However it's still possible of course that your Grandfather James may also have owned another mill or similar business ?. (On his return from WW2 my brother-in-law's father rebuilt his father's sawmill business on Ruardean Hill; within a few years his two brothers also owned their own mills, giving three Coleman mills within that small area.)

If you can please give more details about your grandfather and his father Thomas, then hopefully we can add to them.

Hoping this helps, Jeff.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, May 15, 2016, 12:57 (3053 days ago) @ Jefff

Have finally found James and family in the 1841 Census, I cannot believe it took so long !

They are next-door to other notable Longhope names, the Bullocks and the Dawes.

1841 Census, Lat-chen, Longhope.
Given Name Surname Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth City Birth County Birth Country
James Constance 30 1811 Male Woodturner Gloucestershire England
Sophia Constance 30 1811 Female
Theophilus Constance 5 1836 Male Gloucestershire England
Hannah Constance 3 1838 Female Gloucestershire England
Stephen Constance 1 1840 Gloucestershire England

(Sorry for hyphenating the placename, the site doesn't allow me to type it in it's correct form).

Here is James' marriage, from this site's PRs;

Record_ID: 9458
Entry_Number: 68
Year: 1833
Month: Jul
Day: 16
Grooms_Surname: CONSTANCE
Grooms_Forenames: James
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Batchelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Longhope
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: HARRIS
Brides_Forenames: Sophia
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Longhope
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both Sign
Witness_1: Charles Bailey
Witness_2: Mary Robinson
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Edward Probyn Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/6
Page_Number: 23
Soundex_Groom: C523
Soundex_Bride: H620

Needs more work to find Sophia's baptism etc, the census shows she was from Essex.

Here's her Burial Record, at Longhope All Saints Church;

Record_ID: 22128
Entry_Number: 319
Year: 1886
Month: Jun
Day: 3
Surname: CONSTANCE
Forenames: Sophia
Age_at_death: 79
Officiating_Minister: F.C. Guise Vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/11
Page_No: 40

The Longhope Village website carries a photo of her grave, which she shares with James who died four years later. The headstone inscription includes these helpful dates;

"In affectionate rememberance of
Sophia
Wife of James Constance
Of this parish
Born October 14th 1806.
Died May 29th 1886.

James Constance.
Born August 19th 1805,
Died April 17th 1890."

http://www.longhopevillage.co.uk/FamilyHistory/AllSaints/Search.aspx

Since the last time I visited this excellent website they have added a Family Tree section. On first reading the Constance Tree appeared to date back to 1689, but now I see the left-hand red numbers are purely reference numbers and not dates, oops !
The earliest entry is a Thomas Constance who was Christened in 1751, parents Thomas & Mary as per this site's PRs.

This section of an already excellent website could be very helpful to Longhope researchers.

http://www.longhopevillage.co.uk/FamilyHistory/Trees/Index.aspx?cmd=search&surname=...

Constance family, a History of Longhope's Saw Mills .

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, May 16, 2016, 17:07 (3052 days ago) @ Jefff

I found this history of Longhope's Saw Mills on the internet a few years back, but then lost it within my PC !, I don't think it is still available online. It's effectively a draft copy of the text that may now be found within the 2010 Edition of the Victoria County History of Gloucestershire, Volume XII, "Newent and May Hill". Unlike the sections about Westbury on Severn and the Forest of Dean, this latest addition to the Gloucestershire History is unfortunately not yet free-to-view on the British History website.

http://www.victoriacountyhistory.ac.uk/counties/gloucestershire/publications

"WOODLAND CRAFTS AND SAW MILLS

Longhope’s woodland has supported a variety of crafts and trades other than charcoal burning. In 1608 a cooper, a turner, and two sawyers lived in Longhope and in the mid 18th century the parish was an important producer of handles for mops, brooms, and rakes, hoops for casks and barrels, and laths, many of the products being sent for sale to Bristol and Bewdley (Worcs.) as well as Gloucester.
Theophilus Constance was a turner at the turn of the century and his son James (d. 1890), who in 1835 ran the family’s workshop by the Longhope brook north of the village centre (in the later Church Road), had 20 employees in 1851. At that time, when perhaps as many labourers were employed in wood turning and other woodland crafts as were in agricultural work, Peter Constance ran a smaller turnery. Earlier, in 1821, in a short-lived venture Benjamin Constance operated a paper mill in Longhope. James Constance’s business mostly making handles for domestic, garden, and agricultural tools grew after the opening of the railway. The mill in the village street (Church Road) was enlarged and at the end of the century, under S.W. Constance, most of its products were for markets outside the county. Another saw mill operated south of the Monmouth road on the site of a water mill and hoop and hurdle making continued in the early 20th century next to the railway station.
The firm of James Constance & Sons, which absorbed a number of smaller local businesses, increased its workforce in the late 1920s and, having been sold in the 1940s, employed 40 men and women in the early 1970s. The mill, which mainly used birch wood, ceased to be a turnery in 1981 and its site was adapted as an industrial estate. In the 1960s, when a number of other businesses, two of them new in 1953, made ladders and interwoven fencing, there were saw mills by the Ross road west of Dursley Cross and at Upper End as well as that by the Monmouth road. A timber merchant had been based at Upper End in the 1920s and 1930s."

Thanks to (VCH COUNTY Texts in Progress (Gloucestershire, Volume 12) – 08/07 - © University of London )

--------------------------

This site carries the Kelly's Directory of 1879, which lists three Constances within the Longhope area.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/resources/kelly-s-directory-1879/60-longhope

The Morris & Co. Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of 1876 includes them and more;
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cbennett/longhope1876.htm

Clergy, Gentry and Private Residents;

CONSTANCE Mr. James, Steps farm

CONSTANCE Mrs. Maria

Trades and Professions;

CONSTANCE Eli, wood turner

CONSTANCE James and Sons, wood turners and manufacturers of garden rake, broom, mop, paddle, and hoe handles, prong stems, hay rakes, and adze, axe, pickaxe, sneads, and scythe handles, Steam Saw mills

CONSTANCE James (firm of James Constance and Sons); h. Springfield house

CONSTANCE John, farmer, Hill house

CONSTANCE Mrs. Mary Ann, farmer, Court farm

CONSTANCE Stephen William (firm of Jas. Constance and Sons); The Walk

CONSTANCE Theophilus Harris (firm of Jas. Constance and Sons), timber merchant; h. Olive cottage

by AlecF @, West Sussex, Saturday, May 21, 2016, 12:42 (3047 days ago) @ Jefff

Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for that detailed information, which has enabled me to eliminate this person from my search.

It is interesting to see just how many Constances around Longhope were associated with the supply and crafting of wood. A researcher in the county archives is convinced there is a family connection.

"My" James Constance had a son, Alfred, from whom I am descended. Alfred had a sister Eliza, born around 1841, who married James Nelmes. The Nelmes family name has cropped up in this forum, and I would be interested in contacting whoever was enquiring. My grandmothe used to refer to a "Granny Nelmes" and I have a family wedding group in which she is included. Maybe anyone interested in the Nelmes family might like to contact me.

Best regards,
Alec.

James, Alfred & Eliza CONSTANCE; James NELMES c1860s

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 19:09 (3043 days ago) @ AlecF

Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for that detailed information, which has enabled me to eliminate this person from my search.

It is interesting to see just how many Constances around Longhope were associated with the supply and crafting of wood. A researcher in the county archives is convinced there is a family connection.

"My" James Constance had a son, Alfred, from whom I am descended. Alfred had a sister Eliza, born around 1841, who married James Nelmes. The Nelmes family name has cropped up in this forum, and I would be interested in contacting whoever was enquiring. My grandmothe used to refer to a "Granny Nelmes" and I have a family wedding group in which she is included. Maybe anyone interested in the Nelmes family might like to contact me.

Best regards,
Alec.

Hi again Alec, you're very welcome for the info, sorry for my late reply, it looks like this is a very quiet time for the forum, spring weather etc no doubt.

I've just been searching around this site's PRs and also the GlosBMD database, but so far am having no luck trying to "place" the above family names. I also cannot find any definite records for James Constance with father Thomas as per your earlier post, certainly not in the Longhope area. I have also searched Ancestry for a census with the above family groups, but no luck, looking all around our general area. I'm afraid I am baffled at the moment.

Please can you clarify where they lived etc, the more info you can supply then the better chance we may be able to further help you. I belatedly see you've also posted under an old Nelmes/Hiles thread, which was wise, apologies if that carries additional info to aid your search, altho if it does I'm sure MPG will have utilised it far better than I can.

I do want to helps with your researches, as I'm sure do other forum members. However without more info especially places and approximate dates, then it's very difficult, although I'm very happy for someone else to prove me wrong !.

atb Jeff

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 19:29 (3043 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff,

By coincidence I was just tidying up this possibility when you posted. It may be that Alec has a lot of it. Or it might be that it’s plain wrong! There is a NELMES mentioned in the 1861 census data – clearly the James NELMES mentioned there is not a candidate for the marriage to Eliza but maybe a relative?

FamilySearch

Name James Constance
Event Type Marriage Banns
Event Date 25 Apr 1830
Event Place Monmouth, St Mary, Monmouthshire, Wales
Spouse's Name Jane Hiles

FODFHT

Record_ID: 107402
Entry_Number:
Year: 1830
Month: May
Day: 22
Grooms_Surname: CONSTANCE
Grooms_Forenames: James
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: HILES
Brides_Forenames: Jane
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition:
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Frederic Herbert
Witness_2: Jane Price
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference:
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Monmouth

GR 1841 Census, Monmouth, Old Dixton Road

James CONSTANT, 36, Turner, not born in county
Jane, 30, not born in county
Charles, 10, not born in county
Helen, 8?, not born in county
Alfred, 6, not born in county
Reubin. 3, not born in county
Eliza, 5m, born in county

GR 1851 Census, All Saints, Hereford, Blue School Lane

Jane CONSTANCE, Head, Mar, 41, Wood Turner’s Wife, b. Gloucestershire, Lea Bailey
Eliza, Daur, 10, Monmouthshire, Monmouth
Martha, Daur, 5, Hereford, All Saints

Also GR 1851 Census, Dymock

Job WALL, Head, Mar, 45, Wood Turner, b. Gloster, Oxenhall
Ann, Wife, Mar, 42, Gloster, Dymock
Mary, Daur, 4, Gloster, Dymock
Job, Son, 2, Gloster, Dymock
Thomas, Son, 2m, Gloster, Dymock
John, Nephew, Un, 17, Wood Turner, Gloster, Oxenhall
James CONSTANCE, Lodger, Mar, 43, Wood Turner, Gloster, NK
Alfred CONSTANCE, Lodger, Un, 15, Wood Turner, Gloster, NK

FamilySearch

Name Jane Constance
Event Type Death
Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
Registration Year 1855
Registration District Hereford
County Herefordshire
Event Place Hereford, Herefordshire, England
Volume 6A
Page 319
Line Number 7

In June 1855 the Hereford Times and the Hereford Journal reported the inquest into the death of Jane CONSTANCE, wife of Richard (sic) CONSTANCE, held at the Bell Inn, Blue School Lane, Hereford. She was in a state of serious neglect (which might have been self-inflicted) and may possibly have been consumptive or bronchitic as well. Her daughter, Martha, was also mentioned as a witness.

Name James Constance
Spouse's Name Harriet Dale
Event Date 23 Mar 1856
Event Place Holmer, Hereford, England
Father's Name Thomas Constance
Spouse's Father's Name Joseph Dale

GR 1861 Census, All Saints, Hereford, 2, ?brook Place

James CONSTANCE, Head, Mar, 53, Wood Turner, b. Gloucestershire, Longhope
Harriett, Wife, Mar, 41, Staffordshire, ?
Martha, Daur, 14, Scholar, Hereford
Joseph NELMES, Lodger, Mar, 30, Wood Turner, Gloucestershire, Westbury
Helen, Wife, Mar, 26, Gloucestershire, Mitcheldean
James, Son, 5m, Gloucestershire, Longhope

GR 1871 Census, Mon, Llantillio, Heald Farm

James CONSTANSE, Head, Mar, 63, Farming 35 acres, b. Longhope, Gloucester
Harriet, Wife, Mar, 51, ?, Stafford
Martha, Daur, Un, 23, All Saints, Hereford

GR 1881 Census, Glos, Taynton, Old Copple?

James CONSTANCE, Head, Mar, 70, Farmer 5 acres, b. Longhope, Gloucestershire
Harriet, Wife, Mar, 60, ?, Staffordshire

GR General Register, Deaths

First Name HARRIET
Last Name CONSTANCE
Gender Female
Year 1889
Birth Year 1820
Birth Month
Birth Day
District WESTBURY ON SEVERN
County Gloucestershire
Country England
Volume 6A
Event Quarter 2
District Number
Page 146
Line Number 219

GR 1891 Census, Mon, Skenfrith, Walston

John JONES, Head, Mar, 41, General Labourer, b. Llangattock, Mon
Martha, Wife, Mar, 42, Hereford
William J, Son, Single, 16, Skenfrith, Mon
Reuben G, Son, 11, Ewyas Harold, Heref
Harriett E, Daur, 9, Skenfrith, Mon
Allen John, Son, 6, Skenfrith, Mon
Charles Owen, Son, 7m, Skenfrith, Mon
James CONSTANCE, Visitor, Widower, 83, Longhope, Gloucester

Martha must be the daughter of James,

GR General Register, Marriages,

First Name MARTHA
Last Name CONSTANCE
Gender Female
Year 1873
Spouse
Image Quarter 2
Country Wales
County Monmouthshire
District MONMOUTH
District Number
Registry Number
Volume 11A
Page 47
Line Number 276
Martha Constance married one of the people below:
John JONES
George BARRETT

First Name JAMES
Last Name CONSTANCE
Gender Male
Year 1894
Birth Year 1808
Birth Month
Birth Day
District HEREFORD
County Herefordshire
Country England
Volume 6A
Event Quarter 4
District Number
Page 296
Line Number 362
Entry Number

First Name ALFRED
Last Name CONSTANCE
Gender Male
Year 1879
Birth Year 1832
Birth Month
Birth Day
District HEREFORD
County Herefordshire
Country England
Volume 6A
Event Quarter 2
District Number
Page 364
Line Number 89
Entry Number

In November 1857 the Hereford Times reported that James CONSTANCE had been summoned for wilfully leaving his son Alfred (aged 23) chargeable to the Parish of All Saints. He said he was not able to maintain him and his son’s inability to work was the consequence of his own bad conduct. The charge was dismissed on the ground that the defendant was unable to contribute to his son’s maintenance.

In August 1856 the Hereford Times reported that Alfred CONSTANCE and a young child were charged with damaging a fire escape by swinging on it. The charge was admitted and the defendants discharged, CONSTANCE having been in custody for two days.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 23:25 (3043 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Hi Mike,
well thanks sir for all your hard work, it sure looks good to me as "they" say !

I guess my admittedly-quick delve into Ancestry suffered wrt the spelling variations of Constance, I should have persevered. I did find one or two of the PRs you have, but were confused as they were Monmouth and not the Longhope I thought I was looking for, hence my query to Alec. That said I was thinking if this was going to be one of those cases needing Herefordshire references, hence rather tricky compared to Glos.

Not to worry, as long as we're moving it on, now look forward to seeing how it fits with Alec's studies, as no doubt it will.

atb Jeff.

by sophiewilliams @, Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 19:32 (3869 days ago) @ shirley

Hi Shirley

Yes, I've discovered this wonderful website!

Thank you anyway

Best Wishes

Sophie

by smconstance, Friday, September 20, 2024, 17:46 (3 days ago) @ sophiewilliams

I'm Shawn Constance, 5th great-grandson of Theophilus Constance (via William, Wiliam C, John David Constance) doing ancestry research. Interested in others that may still be in the Longhope area.

RSS Feed of thread