Emigration database has been created (Announce)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 07:04 (5799 days ago)

Following on from Emigration Index: http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=12131

The emigration database has been created together with a submit form. The details submitted are automatically inserted in the database at the time of the submission. Would you please submit some entries so I know it is all working correctly.
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=page&id=15

I still have to put together the search facility which I will do within the next few days. Probably I will make it so you can search by first and last name only.

Family members who emigrated at the same time can be listed in the notes section.

The submit form will only be accessible if you are logged into the forum and parish record section. You will be required to include your Username on the form and it will be displayed in the search results but your email address will not be shown. If anybody wishes to contact you they can do so by locating you in the User section of the forum and sending a message by the contact form.

We already have a Documents and Articles section on the site so the newspaper transcripts and doctor's reports relating to the voyage etc. which Chris mentioned she had can be added there, just send them to me and I will include them.

Now what are we going to do about listing all the Forest people that moved to Yorkshire and other places?

Emigration database has been created

by Dewey, Thursday, June 05, 2008, 08:55 (5798 days ago) @ admin

This is an excellent idea and well setup by the admin. However it appears to me to beg the question " Do those who were convicted and transported to America, Australia and other locations fall into the category of emigrants? and therefore enter this database?"
Dewey

Emigration database has been created

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, June 05, 2008, 08:57 (5798 days ago) @ Dewey

I'd be happy with a broad interpretation of "Emigrant" :-)

left the Vorest for Voreign shores will do for me

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Convict Ancestors

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, June 05, 2008, 17:01 (5797 days ago) @ Dewey

»» "Do those who were convicted and transported to America, Australia and other locations fall into the category of emigrants"

The database is for all emigrants who who moved to another country, whether they were free settlers or convicts.

Many years ago in Australia if one of your ancestors was a convict you probably kept queit about the fact but now it is the cool thing to have a convict ancestor and you proudly make it known.

Emigration Search Facility Completed

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Friday, June 06, 2008, 06:11 (5797 days ago) @ admin

The facility has been completed and you are now able to search the entries people have submitted into the Emigration database.

You will see a link at the top of this page to the Emigration List.

Enjoy

Emigration Search Facility Completed

by ChrisW @, Saturday, June 07, 2008, 05:35 (5796 days ago) @ admin

Thanks Dave

I will enjoy trawling through it!
Thanks also to Chris O'Sullivan for suggesting the idea.

Kind Regards
ChrisW

RSS Feed of thread