Lower Lydbrook Viaduct area - a little history (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, January 08, 2006, 10:29 (6655 days ago)

Rudi Ligthert after having a look at the picture of the Lower Lydbrook Viaduct in the Photo Gallery has sent us this very interesting information about the area.
http://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/lydbrook/

We live in the bungalow just behind the Waterside Hotel (Courtfield Hotel), shown two thirds up photo, left hand side.

We are under the impression that this was built in the 1940s or early 1950s. We have no paperwork on deeds past mid 1950s. The building has early type wide cavity walls and a slight "hipped" roof design similar to other homes in Stowfield of that period.

The chestnut tree in the tump is how I remember it in the late 50s and the weeping willow in the centre would have been smaller or not existed in 1910. There is another photo c1914 and I think some part of the bungalow would just have shown in it, but it does not.

The steps that lead up from the corner (by what was a cobblers shop) to the top of the viaduct to the old Lower Lydbrook station are known locally as Snows Lane and the white cottage at the base of steps currently being modernised is Snows Cottage. Years ago the Creed family lived there and the father and sons all had white hair and nicknamed snowy, hence Snows Cottage and Snows Lane. (it was a gully not steps in the past)

Between the Courtfield and our home the Old Incline existed until approximately 1861. The Dramway before being extended to Bishopswood ended at the end of forge hill and the coal was tipped down the slope into a big pile beside the Courtfield (where people now sit outside) then manhandled onto the flat bottom trows in the old lydbrook quay which was in front of the courtfield. Could go on for ages! 

Rudi Ligthert

Lower Lydbrook Viaduct and bungalow

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, January 08, 2006, 17:18 (6654 days ago) @ admin

If you have or have access to Joyce Latham's "Forest of Dean Revisited", the cover photgraph is of the Courtfield Ferry in the early 50's.

On the cover the Title obscures most of the bungalow roof, however the picture is again on page 14.

At a guess Flewelling's probably built the bunglow, like the majority of pre WWII brick property in Lydbrook.

S

RSS Feed of thread