Lydney photographers (General)

by soniaparry, Sunday, January 10, 2010, 15:22 (5213 days ago)

I have a photo of an ancestor I am trying to identify. The photographer was (I think) W Green of Lydney. Does anyone know when this photographer was working in Lydney.

Lydney - Wilfred Green

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, January 11, 2010, 08:09 (5213 days ago) @ soniaparry

There is a Wilfred Green in the Lydney area born 1905 - he may become a photographer say around the 1930's - What era does your photograph come from - Victorian, Edwardian, 30's, 40's etc ?

you might get some ideas here
www.rogerco.freeserve.co.uk & http://www.cartes.freeuk.com/time/date.htm

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Lydney - Wilfred Green

by soniaparry, Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 16:22 (5210 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for your reply Slowhands.
No I think that is too late. I think the photo I am trying to identify was taken late 1800s.

Lydney - Wilfred Green

by peteressex @, Friday, May 21, 2010, 09:06 (5083 days ago) @ soniaparry

Hi Sonia. If there's room for error in the surname of the photographer, you might be interested to know that in the book "A glance back at Lydney" (Black Dwarf Publications, ISBN 0 9533028 1 4)there's a photo on page 2 which was taken in Lydney High Street around 1910. It includes a man in a straw boater. The notes to the photo say that "the man in the straw boater appears in a number of old Forest postcards and may well be the photographer, one Will Phillips of Gloucester." This could connect with your initial "W" although you had the surname "Green", and although Phillips was of Gloucester he obviously spent a fair amount of time in the Forest area.

Lydney - Wilfred Green

by HarryBrook @, Friday, May 21, 2010, 11:50 (5083 days ago) @ peteressex

The photographer W. GREEN was William GREEN. In the 1911 census he, and his wife Mary Ann were in High Street, Cinderford. His occupation was given as photographer. He was born in Mitcheldean, abt. 1851. His wife Mary Ann was born abt. 1849, Cinderford. Glos. I have carte de visite photos of some unknown relations (maybe), on the reverse of the one it states, "From the Photographic Studio of Mr. & Mrs. Green, High St., Cinderford & Lydney." The other states similar but just gives the Cinderford address. I have no way of telling the dates of the photos. I have not checked the 1901 or earlier censuses to see where they were. I can scan and submit these address details if they are of interest.

William GREEN 1851- 1931 Photographer Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, May 21, 2010, 12:44 (5082 days ago) @ HarryBrook

William Green abt 1851 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire Iron Worker
Mary A. Green abt 1849 Nailbridge, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Martin Green abt 1879 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Virtue Green abt 1880 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire

1891 High St Cinderford
William Grun abt 1851 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire Iron Worker
Mary Ann Grun abt 1849 Nailbridge, Glos Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Martin Grun abt 1879 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Esse Grun abt 1883 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Norah Grun abt 1885 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Virtue Grun abt 1887 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Chver Grun abt 1888 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Arthy Grun abt 1890 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire

William Crum abt 1851 Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire Photographer
Mary Ann Crum abt 1849 Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Epher Crum abt 1882 Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Norah Crum abt 1885 Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Eslie Crum abt 1888 Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Artley Crum abt 1891 Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire

1911 Cinderford
GREEN WILLIAM M 1851 60 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire photographer
GREEN MARY ANN F 1849 62 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
GREEN NORAH F 1888 23 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire

Year: 1924
Month: Mar
Day: 3
Surname: GREEN
Forenames: Mary Ann
Residence: Cinderford