Hyett before 1635 (General)

by johananhyatt, Friday, April 02, 2010, 22:56 (5109 days ago)

If anyone is doing research on Hyett/Hyatt/Hiatt before 1635, I would be interested in exchanging information.

My family is descended from Charles Hyatt of Maryland, circa 1660. We believe that Charles is probably the son or grandson of Thomas Hyet who emigrated to America in 1635 aboard the HMS Bonaventure. Thomas Hyet m. Kathryn Parsons (erroneously recorded as Parsols in America). They were from Chipping Norton, but we believe that the family moved there from Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean. We also show a Thomas Hyet as a member of the corporation and a burgess of Chipping Norton. We think that this was the father of our Thomas Hyet. (Nothing before Charles Hyett can be proven beyond doubt.)

We are greatly indebted to Margery Hyett of Cheltenham for many old records of the Hyett family. She may be credited with all of our successes - and none of our errors!

If you know anything about this family we would welcome the opportunity to communicate with you.

Hyett before 1635

by kcasson @, Saturday, April 03, 2010, 17:19 (5109 days ago) @ johananhyatt

I am also related to the Hyetts but the furthest I go back to is Robert Hyett b.c. 1694 married in Gloucester in 1716 to Margaret Jones.

The Hyetts were (and are as my grandfather is a freeman of Gloucester) freemen of Gloucester, a title passed down through the male lines since James Hyett was awarded it after the Battle of Nibley Green in the 15th century.

Hyett before 1635

by johananhyatt, Thursday, April 08, 2010, 19:43 (5103 days ago) @ kcasson

Thanks for your response! We bear the name with pride. I hope to visit Gloucestershire someday and see the places where we began. Blessings to you and your family.

I have the book about the Battle of Nibley by Fleming on order. If you know of any other sources for information about the battle, I would appreciate it.

Hyett before 1635

by paulahyatt87, Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 04:54 (4993 days ago) @ johananhyatt

Hey!! I'm so glad to have found this forum. My name is Paula Hyatt and according to my family tree Thomas Hyatt was my 10th great grandfather! My line descends as follows: Thomas Hyatt (Born about 1611 Oxfordshire England), to Charles Hyatt, Sr., to Charles Hyatt, Jr., to Seth Hyatt, to Shadrack Hyatt, to Edward Gaither Hyatt, to Elisha Hyatt, to John Hyatt, to John A.W. Hyatt, to Walter L Hyatt, to James Daniel Hyatt, to Ralph Paul Hyatt, to me, Paula June Hyatt. I have been lucky enough to find a distant cousin of mine who has TONS of information regarding the Hyatt's! From what I understand one of the older Hyatt's (Charles Jr., or Sr., I believe!) had seven sons and six of them went north, while one went south and that is where my line comes in. I have a lot of information that I would be happy to share with anyone interested! I am going to pick up more documentation and an actual Hyatt Lineage book Thursday, so by then I'm sure to have a lot more information to share. Edward Gaither Hyatt, my 5th great grandfather, came to North Carolina from Maryland. And from what I have found most of his children and their children lived around Buncombe, Jackson, Haywood, and Cherokee, North Carolina. My great grandfather, Walter Hyatt, was raised in Polk, Tennessee. I actually live in Fannin County, Georgia, which borders Polk County, TN and Cherokee County, NC! I could go on and on but I'll stop here! Feel free to e-mail me for more information or post back to the forum! sugar_me_sweet06@yahoo.com Thanks!
Paula J. Hyatt

Hyett before 1635

by toledotimber, Sunday, August 29, 2010, 05:58 (4961 days ago) @ paulahyatt87

I, too, am related to this Thomas Hyatt (my 10th great grandfather, as well). My line is as follows: Thomas, Charles Sr., Charles, Seth Sr., Meshach, Meshach, Meshach, Seth, Alonzo, Donald, Stuart, Donald, and me, Timothy Hyatt. At least since the first Donald, my branch has been in northwest Ohio. I've just recently begun seriously researching the family's history, so this is a wonderful find for me.

Hyett before 1635

by Carolyn, Friday, January 13, 2012, 03:04 (4459 days ago) @ paulahyatt87

My Hyatt lineage is Thomas, Charles Sr., Charles, Seth Sr., Seth, Hezekiah, Shadrick, George W., Capt. John Seth, Walton Alexis and my grandfather Virgil Locket. My mother was Mary Hyatt.
I know they were in Maryland then moved to Bunscombe NC then George moved to Ellijay Georgia. George was married to Hettie Mahaly O'Neal. They were heading for Texas when he died in Polk County, Arkansas and he is buried in Hot Springs. In researching this line I came up with questions. One is that Shadrick married Dinah Gaithner. After she died he had children by Mary Trosper. I have only found that Dinah and Shadrick had a daughter Dianna. Is this your line through Edward Gaithner? Records show that he married Mary in 1813 when she was 43 years old. The children listed by Mary and Shadrick were mostly born before this date. Also, no records of Thomas's wife as a passenger on a ship coming to America. Also, Seth Sr. married Alice Davis or Alice Duval. Both names are listed with same info. Have you found anything that would answer my questions? Thanks. I too am proud of my Hyatt heritage. My grandfather was precious to me.

Hyett before 1635

by unknown, Thursday, May 10, 2012, 10:31 (4341 days ago) @ Carolyn

Good Morning people.

I think I am also a descendant of the Hyatt Line, although I don't think it is the same Hyatt's that were Passengers on ship HMS Bonaventure.
My line is this;

Thomas Hyett (1610 - )

is your 7th great grandfather

Arthur Hyett (1638 - )

is your 6th great grandfather

John Hyatt (1666 - )

Son of Arthur

anne hyett (1798 - 1898)

Daughter of John

James Hyett (1817 - )

Son of anne

Dinah Hyatt (1865 - 1934)

Daughter of James

Mary Anne Halford (1908 - 1956)

Daughter of Dinah

mavis joan donaldson (1930 - )

Daughter of Mary Anne

Glyndwr Jones (1950 - 2008)

Son of mavis joan is my Father.

Any further information greatly received.

Hyett before 1635

by highmont, Monday, September 05, 2016, 21:18 (2761 days ago) @ johananhyatt

I'm an American Hiatt researching HYETT's in England. I think THOMAS HYETT of Street, Somerset is my ancestor. He has the same coat of arms as JAMES of LYDNEY so I'm very interested in any info on JAMES. Read the Nibley book.
Thank you.

Hyett before 1635

by vanessapowell, Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 13:51 (4930 days ago) @ johananhyatt

Hello,

I am currently a student at University of Gloucestershire and I am undertaking a research project on Painswick. I am looking to do a project on Benjamin Hyett the owner of Painswick House. I will look at the neo-pagan revival and erection of temples and towers in the Rococo garden and the statue of Pan, which was later buried. I am therefore trying to find out as much background information on the family and ideally find a family tree of the Hyett family starting with Charles Hyett (1738), and sons Benjamin (1762) and Nicholas (1777). I have struggled to find information and cannot access any family tree information. I wonder if you would know anything about this part of the family?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

HYETT family - Bulley, Painswick etc - and pedigree

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 15:22 (4930 days ago) @ vanessapowell

Gloucestershire Archives "should" have a reasonable amount of information about the HYETT family, its coat of Arms and pedigree.

Hyett (Painswick House, co. Gloucester). Quarterly, 1st and 4th, ar. a lion ramp. az. on a chief dancettee sa. two roses ar., for Hyett; 2nd and 3rd, erm. three cats pass. in pale az., For Adams. Crest - 1st A castle ppr. charged with four pellets, issuing therefrom a lion's head sa. in the mouth a rose slipped gu., for Hyett; 2nd A greyhound's head erased erm., for Adams. Motto - Cor immobile.

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archiv...

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/media/adobe_acrobat/n/8/Hyett_documents.pdf

II. Frances Marston, born 1766, and married to the Rev.
Henry Caye Adams, of Shrewsbury and Fainswick, co. Glouc.
A.M.i and of Christ Church, Oxon. nephew of the Venerable
and Rev. William Adams, D.D. Master of Pembroke Coll.
Oxon. and Archdeacon of Llandaff, &.c. and descended from
the old Salop house of Adams of Longdon.
By this gentleman, who died about 1807, Frances Marston had two sons
and two daughters, and survived him many years, residing at
Gloucester. Their issue were, 1. William Henry Adams,
who, under the will of his paternal connection Benjamin
Hyett, Esq. of Painswick House, co. Glouc, succeeding to his
estates, took the name and arms of Hyett. He is now seated
at Painswick House, is a Justice of the Peace and Deputy
Lieutenant for Gloucestershire, and was formerly M.P. for
Stroud. He is married, and has issue. 2. Rev. John Adams,
who died s. p. 1. Sarah Adams, married to J. W. Walters,
Esq. and died 16th Sept. 1824, 2. Mary Clementina Adams,
who became the first wife of Samuel M. Barrett, Esq. of
Carlton Hall, near Richmond, co. York, M.P. for Richmond,
and died s. p. 3 June 183Lk

^ Vide pedigrees of Hyett and Adams of Painswick House, co. Glouc. in Burke's
Commoners, new edition, principally communicated by the writer of this article.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0jLRTzwSMIEC&pg=PA193&lpg=PA193&dq=pains...

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Hyett before 1635

by Carolyn, Friday, January 13, 2012, 03:06 (4459 days ago) @ vanessapowell

My mother was with us in Painswick a number of years ago and was looking for the Hyatt connection. Our line is through Thomas. She ran into a dead end when she was told this was not our family. We love Painswick. Have been back many times!

Hyett before 1635

by Richard Hulan @, Friday, May 11, 2012, 02:14 (4340 days ago) @ johananhyatt

Has anybody looked at this surname (and family history) who is competent in Welsh names, as spelled and pronounced by English people who don't actually speak Welsh?

Your Hyett line probably has more to do with this one than with the people at Painswick House:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/hyatt/messages/1495.html

Whether that source is right or wrong, I have no idea. But I wonder whether the surnames Hewett and/or Hewlett might be a better fit (for Hyett) than Hyatt -- although the latter is the usual American spelling.

These thoughts were stimulated by my personal interest in the FoD family of Hulin, also spelled Hewlin (both sides of the pond), with many variants. Like Hyett, it has a deep association with St. Briavels, and the occupation of forestry -- and perhaps has a Welsh origin in the given name Hywel (rather than the commonly assumed English "Hugh").

I continue to hope that eventually this FoD interest group will recognize the usefulness of surname Y-DNA projects. Several questions of this sort might be resolved. One can only go so far with rampant speculation, based on Celtic vs. Saxon naming customs on opposite banks of the river Wye.

Hyett before 1635

by Richard Hulan @, Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 20:06 (4335 days ago) @ Richard Hulan

Actually the primary subject matter of my musings (about Welsh names, as variously pronounced and spelled by people whose native language wasn't Welsh, or even Celtic) is largely covered in this article, found elsewhere on this site:

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/downloads/Stories_Articles/Life_in_Hewelsfield_and_Brockw...

That does contain a fairly debatable assertion that Hewelsfield derives from "High wold," rather than "Hywel" (although Powell is from "ap Hywel"). Anyway, it's a very interesting article.

Hyett before 1635

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Tuesday, September 08, 2020, 15:06 (1298 days ago) @ johananhyatt

I can throw some light on this but as you posted it a long time ago I will wait to see if you respond before proceeding with what I know.

RSS Feed of thread