Hyatt surname to Hyatt Cox, can anyone help (General)

by unknown, Thursday, September 09, 2010, 14:55 (4970 days ago)

while researching our family history we find that our great great great grandfarther on parish records was named john hyatt however on some censors record he is named cox. Was this common this a common practise of changing surnames as we find that there are lot of hyatt and cox on the records.

John Hyatt born in The Hayes near viney hill 1822 and he married Hannah Charles who born in 1824. Both married in 1950. The only way i can link the cox to the surname is that a john cox and elizeberth cox lived at the hays around the same time as John Hyatt. The Hayes was a small holding below the Hayes Wood at Vinney Hill.

In the 1841 he names himsef as John Hyatt and in the 1861 censors he is called John Hyatt Cox. Can anyone share any liget on this please.

Or if you are related please contact me
Regards

Neil Felton

Hyatt surname

by m p griffiths @, Thursday, September 09, 2010, 15:15 (4970 days ago) @ unknown

on the FOD records

the surname is spelt HYETT - and John is aged 23 - c 1828 - (not c1822)

Marriage at Parkend - 10 March 1850

John HYETT - Bachelor, Collier, Old Croft - age 23
father: John HYETT

married

Hannah CHARLES - Spinster - Old Croft - age 23
father: Charles

Mark of Charles PARRY and Thomas BAYLIS

1851 Census West Dean, Old Croft

John HEYETT - 24 Coalminer, born Glos. Viney Hill
Hannah - wife age 26 - born Old Croft
Elizabeth - 2 and Thomas 8 months
along with
William CHARLES - Lodger, 38 - Coalminer
Jamme - wife age 30 - born Pillowell
Children Eliza 9, Edward 7, John 5, William 1

and then had a busy time ...... by 1861 calling themselves COX with
Elizabeth 13, Thomas 10, William 9, David 7, Hannah 5, Robert 4, Sarah 2, Frederick Daniel 4 months

interesting site on the different spellings/origins of this surname etc. (FOD) and I quote

'All may not retain the Hiatt-Heitt name - you will find them by the names of ANDERSON, COFFIN, MILLS, DAVIS, EDWARDS & COX' ...... James HYETT - appointed Constable of St Brivel's Castle in 1841 by Edward IV

http://www.hiattfamily.net/john_hiatt-index-extract.pdf (pdf file...)

Hyatt surname

by highmont, Saturday, April 13, 2019, 22:31 (1831 days ago) @ m p griffiths

James Hyett was constable of St. Briavels in 1461, not 1841.

HYATT and COX surnames - Just a theory

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, September 09, 2010, 15:52 (4970 days ago) @ unknown

If this is the baptism of your 3rd great-grandfather, you will notice that their is no name listed for his father so it is probable that his mothers name is Elizabeth HUATT and that his fathers surname was COX. (John being born out of wedlock)

Do not be concerned about the different variations of the spelling of the surname as this was common in those days. Also, don't take it as gospel that his fathers name was John HYATT as noted on the marriage of John and Hannah as often a fathers name was given just for convenience.

Entry_Number: 145
Year: 1827
Month: Jan
Day: 8
Parents_Surname: HUATT
Child_Forenames: John Charles
Fathers_Forenames: [not stated]
Mothers_Forenames: Elizabeth
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Hays
Officiating_Minister: J. H. Malpas Vicar
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Son of
Notes:
Register_Reference: P30 IN 1/2
Page_Number: 19
Parish_Chapel: Awre

Hyatt surname to Hyatt Cox, can anyone help

by unknown, Friday, November 25, 2011, 11:23 (4528 days ago) @ unknown

Hello Neil

I have just found this site and am delighted to see your posting. My grandmother's surname was registered as Hyett and then Cox which has caused us a lot of confusion. Apparently my great, great grandfather was a William Hyett born around 1833 in Huntley or Cinderford. He was a general labourer and lived at Harry Hill House, Westbury-on-Severn.

As a child my grandmother lived in Cinderford with a James and Mary Cox who we assumed were her adoptive parents.

Maybe we have a link through the Hyett-Cox family?

Regards

Jacqui Stone

Hyatt surname to Hyatt Cox, can anyone help

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, November 26, 2011, 00:26 (4527 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Jacqui,
welcome to this wonderfull site and forum.
First, don't know if you've tried searching this site's HUGE database of parish records yet. From that I can see these possible Baptisms for your G-G-Grandfather;

Record_ID: 89536
Entry_Number: 295
Year: 1835
Month: Feb
Day: 13
Parents_Surname: HYETT
Child_Forenames: William
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Margaret
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Huntley
Officiating_Minister: John Morse rector
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P184 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 39
Parish_Chapel: Huntley
Soundex: H300

or probably less likely ?

Record_ID: 137325
Entry_Number: 221
Year: 1831
Month: Apr
Day: 1
Parents_Surname: HYETT
Child_Forenames: William
Fathers_Forenames: James
Mothers_Forenames: Esther
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Baldwyns Oak
Officiating_Minister: J Archibald
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P225 IN1/5
Page_Number: 28
Parish_Chapel: Newent
Soundex: H300

As you probably know Harry Hill (nowadays called Harrow Hill) is between Cinderford and Huntley albeit rather nearer Cinderford. Newent's a fair way away t'other side of Huntley so probably not relevant here.
You mentioned Westbury On Severn, I could be wrong but I doubt the House was actually there. This is slightly misleading as W-O-S was merely the official registration centre/town for the Forest's Records, but in truth it is just outside of the Forest "proper". The other local Registration area was Monmouth on the opposite edge of the Forest.

The only PRs for William Hyett(any spelling) I can see in Cinderford are 50 years later.

Re James Cox, assuming he was married to Mary, the most likely Marriage Record assuming its a few generations after 1833 seems to be:

Record ID 4757
Entry Number 222
Year 1875
Month Dec
Day 25
Grooms Surname COX
Grooms Forenames James
Grooms Age 30
Groom Condition Bachelor
Grooms Occupation Coal Miner
Grooms Residence Bilson
Grooms Fathers Surname Cox
Grooms Fathers Forenames William
Grooms Fathers Occupation Labourer
Brides Surname JONES
Brides Forenames Mary Ann
Brides Age 30
Brides Condition Spinster
Brides Occupation [not stated]
Brides Residence Drybrook
Brides Fathers Surname Jones
Brides Fathers Forenames John
Brides Fathers Occupation Quarry man
Licence or Banns Banns
Date of Banns [not stated]
Signature or Mark He marks she signs
Witness 1 Hubert J. Jones
Witness 2 Celia Ann Cox
Other Witnesses
Officiating Minister William Barker Vicar
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference P109 IN 1/7
Page Number 111
Parish Chapel Drybrook

Now, Drybrook is literally next to Harry Hill. Bilson (where I was born & grew-up, coincidentally) is what is now lower Cinderford. There were a lot of coal mines between these places and there is still a very large quarry at Drybrook, sorry if you already knew this !. In those days and much later it was quite normal for colliers etc to walk several miles a day to & from work.
So until you tell me differently it seems to tie up reasonably well...

Anyhow hopefully you will search the PRs yourself and find your ancestors.

Finally, I hope Neil Felton sees your message. However I suggest you also send him a private message from this forum direct into his email inbox, as I have just done to you. I say this as he doesnt seem to be a regular forum visitor and may not see your message. For members who have been active their forum name appears blue, as does Neil's. If you click on the name it hyperlinks to a useful page that tells you how often he's visited etc.

There's also an email contact page to use which I recommend. If you want to exchange personal details etc then please use that system, if you read the FAQ section of this site you'll see why this is wise.

Hope this all helps and good luck with your researches. As well as the PRs please take the time to study the rest of this site, there's a wealth of interesting information including old photos, wills & inquests, newspaper clippings, E-books, maps of the area, etc etc.
eg this map shows "your" area. Huntley is just off the map past Micheldean.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/the-forest-of-dean/maps-of-the-forest

HYETT/HAMPTON/TAYLOR/MALSON or WINTER

by m p griffiths @, Saturday, November 26, 2011, 12:32 (4527 days ago) @ unknown

Assume you have your family tree already!!!

?
FOD records: Marriage at Blaisdon - 25 April 1834

William HYETT - Bachelor
residence: Huntley in the County of Glocester (sic)

married

Margaret HAMPTON, Spinster residence: Blaysdon

by Banns

Mark of James PARRY and William BAILEY

Officiating Minister:

Will(iam) BLACK (Rector)

1841 Census, Huntley

HYETT

William - 40 Ag. Lab. not born in County
Margarett - 25 - born in County
William - 6
Harriott - 4
George - 1

Gloucestershire BDM

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/

HYETT - Mother's maiden name: HAMPTON

All Gloucester, Huntley

Diana - 1851
George - 1839
Henry -1844
Julia Ann - 1853
Mary - 1854
Rosanna - 1841
Rosanna - 1851
Susan - 1847

---

1851 Census, Huntley

HYETT

William 50 - Born Darlington, Devon (1861 census, born Devon, Devon) ? Dartington, Totnes, Devon **
Margaret - 37 born Blaisdon
Harriett - 15
George - 11
Henry - 6
Susannah - 3
Dinnah - 3 months
Rosanna - 3 months

? Church of Latter Day Saints, have a William HYOTT, christened 31 August 1800, James & Susannah - and William did name a daughter Susannah ??
---

1851 Census, Glos. Longford St Catherine

Tewkesbury Road, White House

William HYATT - age 15, General Servant, born Huntley

working for a Henry ADAMS a Vinegar Maker, born Hope Mansell, Herefordshire.

-----

1871 Census, Glamorgan, Newcastle

William HYATT - 37 - labourer, born Glos. Huntley
MAFITEA (Matilda) - age 36, born Hereford, Barnshill
Henry Wm - 7 - born Huntley
Geo. Fre. 4 - born Glamorgan
Amos - 10 months

----

1881 Census, Harry Hill, WOS - East Dean

HYETT

William - 47, General Labourer, born Glos.Huntley
Matilda - 47 - born Hereford Aston Ingham
Henry W - 16 , born Huntley
George F - 14 - born Glamorgan
Arthur - 12 - born Wales
Aines - 10 - born Wales Bridgend
Tom - 8 - Glos. East Dean
Mary J - 6 - Glos. Elming Row?
Rosena M - 7 - ditto

----

1891 Census, East Dean, Bilson Green

HYETT

William - 57 - General labourer, born Cinderford
Matilda - 57 - born Cinderford
George F - 24 - born Wales
Arthur - 23 - born Rhonda Valley
Tom - 18 - Grocer's Asst. born Gloucester
Matilda R - 13 - born Gloucester

----
Gloucestershire BDM , give the mother's maiden name as MALSON and also WINTER(S)

and looking at the marriages on Gloucestershire BDM

William HYETT, married Matilda MALSON and Matilda WINTER - Forest of Dean, Monmouth Register Office, 1864

---0-00-0---

FOD records

Baptism at Blaisdon - 26 December 1813

Margaret HAMPTON

parents

Thomas (Rat Catcher) and Hannah ** (residence: Blaysdon)

---

On the 1861 Census for Blaisdon

William HYETT - is a Lodger, age 26, labourer, born Huntley

and next door

is

John HAMPTON, 44, Hurdle Maker, born Blaisdon (Margaret's brother)
Mary - 45 - born Churcham
Hannah - 18 - Blaisdon
Arthur - 15
Rosena - 8

---

1841 Census, Blaisdon

Hannah HAMPTON - 60
William HAMPTON - 35
Thomas HAMPTON - 20

---

Using the Advance Search for baptism at Blaisdon - parents Thomas & Hannah HAMPTON

Mary Ann - 1802
William - 1804
Ann - 1806
Sarah - 1809
Jane - 1811
Margaret - 1813 - Rat Catcher
John - 1817 - Rat Catcher
Thomas - 1819 - labourer

---

FOD records : Marriage at Lydney - 12 January 1802

Thomas HAMPTON, of Blaisdon

married

Hanna TAYLOR - of this Parish - by Licence
mark of Richard MORSE & John THOMAS

Memoranda: Tuesday

--

Burial at Blaisdon - 23 March 1830 - Thomas HAMPTON age 60

--

previous theads re: HAMPTON family of Blaisdon

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=15950

Hyett Cox Family

by steeleruk, Monday, May 26, 2014, 11:58 (3615 days ago) @ unknown

looking for Hyett or Hyatt - Cox family graves around Vinney Hill and sounding area. Would appreciate any information about the family members or where we could find graves of family members of the people below. William Hyett Cox is my great granddad and I have photos of his grave if anyone is looking for this person

Cox, William Henry Hyett  25/2/1875 - Westbury On Severn, England, United Kingdom 3 Apr 1946 - 23 Hill Crest Road,Hoyland Common,Barnsley,Yorkshire

Hyatt, Mary Ellen  1882 1949
Hyatt Charles Cox, Elizabeth  11 Jun 1848 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, , England 1919 - Vermillion, , Illinois, USA
Hyatt Cox, Charles John  1864 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, England Jun 1923 - Monmouthshire, Wales, United Kingdom
Hyatt Cox, David J  1854 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, England Jun 1923 - Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales
Hyatt Cox, Hannah  1855 - West Dean,Gloucestershire Jan-Feb-March 1925 - Newtown,Powys
Hyatt Cox, Matilda Mary  1866 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, , England Sep 1917 - Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Wales
Hyatt Cox, Robert  1857 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, , England 1863 - Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Hyatt Cox, Sarah  1859 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, , England 1915 - Wortley,West Riding Yorkshire.
Hyatt Cox, William  1852 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, , England -
Hyett, Agnes Mary  Apr 1886 - West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Dec 1927 - Chepstow, Monmouthshire, England
Hyett, Ann  Feb 1885 - Viney Hill, Forest of Dean 9 May 1885 - Viney Hill, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Hyett, Anne  6 Jan 1771 - Lydney, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, Betty  29 May 1808 - Gloucestershire, England April 1873 - Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Hyett, Charlotte  8 Oct 1815 - Viney Hill; East Dean 27 Feb 1879 - Parkend, Forest of Dean, Gloucester.
Hyett, Cinderella  abt 1892 - Viney Hill, Gloucestershire, England 22nd April 1958 - Viney Hill, Forest of Dean
Hyett, Daniel  10 Apr 1743 - Churcham, Gloucestershire, England 30 Jan 1815 - Lydney, Gloucestershire, England
Hyett, Daniel  2 May 1773 -
Hyett, Elizabeth  21 Sep 1788 - Lydney, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, Esther  15 May 1798 - Gloucestershire, England January 1880 - Monmouth, Monmouthshire, United Kingdom
Hyett, Frederick Daniel  1884 - West Dean, Gloucestershire, England 2 March 1902 - Viney Hill, Monmouthshire, United Kingdom
Hyett, Frederick Daniel  Jan 1861 - Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, England 26th March 1905 - Neds Top,Old Croft, Lyndney,
Hyett, Hannah  23 Jul 1811 - Awre, Gloucestershire, England October 1887 - Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Hyett, Hannah  30 Jan 1780 - Lydney, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, John  7 Jul 1776 - Lydney, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, Maria  10 Apr 1793 1797 - Newnham on Severn, Gloucestershire, England
Hyett, Mary  28 Mar 1752 - Churcham, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, Mary  18 Dec 1785 - Lydney, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, Rachel  1833 -
Hyett, Rachel  1836 -
Hyett, Robert  - -
Hyett, Robert  1768 - Gloucestershire, England 7 Jan 1844 - Viney Hill, Forest of Dean
Hyett, Robert  24 Feb 1805 - Awre -
Hyett, Sarah  29 Sep 1782 - Lydney, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, Sarah  9 Sep 1802 - Awre Chapel. Awre, Gloucestershire 26 Apr 1853 - Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England Husband is a thatcher in his will.
Hyett, Sarah Ann  1831 -
Hyett, Simon Peter  1835 - Aibbuston, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, Thomas  19 Apr 1759 - Churcham, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, Thomas  23 Apr 1796 - Gloucestershire, England 12 Mar 1872 - Viney Hill, Forest of Dean
Hyett, William  25 May 1755 - Churcham, Gloucestershire, England -
Hyett, William  25 May 1755 - Churcham, Gloucestershire, England -

Hyett Cox Family

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Tuesday, March 03, 2020, 12:43 (1507 days ago) @ steeleruk

I am trying to ascertain whether I am related to this Hyetta family. I think a member of my family may have married into it but I am not sure if I have the right ones. If you have had a DNA test done on Ancestry or have done Gedmatch please let me know so that I can check your DNA against mine.
It is in relation to Thomas Hyett born in Awre, father of Simon Peter, Rueben and Rachel.
I saw a posting on Genes Reunited by someone called Sarah in 2015, I tried to reply to her but it would have meant subscribing to the site to do so. If you are related to Sarah I might have some interesting information on the questions she asks.

RSS Feed of thread