Curious why many left for New Zealand? (General)

by J.Orr @, Thursday, April 14, 2011, 22:06 (4760 days ago)

I was just curious if anyone knew why many people left for New Zealand? My James Thomas and many of his children left in 1879.

Curious why many left for New Zealand?

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, April 14, 2011, 22:16 (4760 days ago) @ J.Orr

Cowrie tree felling? Other industries where skills were transferable, e.g. iron, steel, stone industries. sheep farming, gold mining. Just suggestions, but people usually emigrate for a better life.

Look at the page on 19th Century emigration/ Why Travel to New Zealand on:www.fernbook.co.uk/emigration

It states that assisted passages were set up around that time too.

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Friday, April 15, 2011, 20:42 (4759 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

It is worth seeing if their neighbours, or people in the same town or region, came from the same place too. Sometimes a friend or relative emigrates and then others join them once they are established. I am wondering also if people who had settled in other far flung colonies, e.g. India, Hong Kong, Singapore might have moved on to New Zealand rather than to return to England. I have found one or two that did that.

by alison2 @, Thursday, April 14, 2011, 22:50 (4760 days ago) @ J.Orr

I have 7 Families in my Tree, who Emigrated to New Zealand from the Forest of Dean.
Transferable Occupations being Coal Mining, Farming, Railway Building and Butchery.
Work was hard to find when my Families Emigrated between 1900 & 1930 and the Promise of Work and a Better Standard of Living made them decide to Emigrate to New Zealand.

by J.Orr @, Thursday, April 14, 2011, 23:03 (4760 days ago) @ alison2

I guess I am wondering why New Zealand, what at the time made it so attractive? My ancestor was a gardener. I believe he maintained that trade in New Zealand. It was a long way to go.

by ritpetite @, New Zealand, Friday, April 15, 2011, 06:18 (4760 days ago) @ J.Orr

I think that it was a case of 'the grass being greener'. And in the case of my grandparents it was the year of the 1926 strikes that they would have decided.

I think that the people who had immigrated to NZ wrote back to their families and friends encouraging them to come over here.

My grandfather was a coalminer and I think perhaps my grandmother was looking for a better way of life. So they were sponsored by a couple who I believe originally came from the forest, Roberts, to come and work on their farm.

My grandfather wrote to his brother around 1940 and asked him to come over and enjoy the milk (he was sharemilking in Waihi), the beach and get away from the germans.

Unfortunately he declined and because he did, I have to fly 22 hrs to visit my cousin or email her.

Rita
NZ

by jhopkins @, Friday, April 15, 2011, 11:04 (4759 days ago) @ J.Orr

I am curious in the opposite way! Why wouldn't you? Why would you stay in the Forest in the mid 19thC when the best you could hope for was to scratch a living as a tenant farmer or miner (in the case of my family)? If you read some of the books about the Forest you see how tough life was for most Foresters right up into the 20thC.

My great grandfather came here in 1860. He later brought out his 16 year old sister (they are now buried side by side with matching headstones in my local cemetery), and another brother and sister (and her husband) came as well.

My Forest ancestors were basically tenant farmers as far back as I can go, and my great grandfather was an iron miner. When he got here, he managed to buy a decent sized piece of farming land which he later added to with other properties both adjacent and in the nearby town. He and GGMa built a new two storey house and had a prosperous life which he could never have achieved as an iron miner in the Forest.

There are both push and pull factors in immigration - some push factors like poverty pushed people out of Britain in the 19thC, and some factors like opportunities to get your own land pulled people to NZ. My ancestors on my mother's side came here from Scotland in 1852 - great great grandfather was a ploughman in Alloa, with no future. He came here and developed a valuable farm on the hills above Dunedin - same reasons for migration as my Forest ancestors.

When I visited the Forest I was struck by how beautiful it is now, but life must have been grim when many Foresters left. Also remember many came here despite the fact that there was continuing conflict and wars here with Māori who were objecting to colonisation and land theft - notwithstanding this, they came anyway. They must have been pretty desperate for a new life!

by robdavis @, Monday, April 18, 2011, 17:34 (4756 days ago) @ jhopkins

At a later date there was another link with New Zealand and the Forest of Dean. Lord Bledisloe was Governor General of New Zealand from 1930-1935. On his return he was made 1st Viscount Bledisloe of Lydney (previoulsy he had been Baron Bledisloe, the family seat being in Lydney in the hundred of Bledisloe).

A female cousin of my father from the Lydney area emigated to New Zealand sometime in the 40's and the family always said this was under some assisted scheme run by Lord Bledisloe but I do not know how true this is.

I would be interested if anyone else's relatives emigrated under a such scheme.

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, April 18, 2011, 17:46 (4756 days ago) @ robdavis

At the time Government was concerned that we should be able to defend New Zealand from attack...hence encouraging more people to move to NZ
I understand Charles Bathurst was instrumental in this policy.

The strong link continues to this day

The Bledisloe New Zealand Memorial Trust awards funds every year to local people who want to work and travel in the country.

It was set up by Charles Bathurst, the 1st Viscount Bledisloe, who was the Governor General of New Zealand between 1930 and 1935.

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=3753

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by jhopkins @, Monday, April 18, 2011, 23:39 (4756 days ago) @ slowhands

Lord Bledisloe seems to be one of the few 'imported' Governors General who is remembered fondly and with deep respect in NZ. He threw himself into the life of the country, and had a strong association with yachting and rugby.

He is memorialised in a number of ways, but the most visible is the Bledisloe Cup (and a thudding great thing it is too), which is played for every year by the All Blacks and the Wallabies rugby teams in a series of three games.

Perhaps less well known nowadays was his contribution to Māori - Pākehā relationships - from Wikipedia:

"His social conscience was much appreciated during the Depression era, as was his insistence that his salary should be cut as were the salaries of public servants at the time. Bledisloe also contributed to improved Pākehā - Māori relations, purchasing the site where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed and presenting it to the nation as a memorial. In 1934, the site was dedicated as a national reserve. The dedication ceremony attracted thousands of people, both Māori and Pākehā."

A great man, and a credit to the Forest.

by Carolann_nz, Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 05:41 (4749 days ago) @ J.Orr

My Barnett ancestors originally came from Dixton/Staunton area with the first family (Henry and Jane and 6 children) emigrating in 1863. Henry's brother Edwin with wife Charlotte and 4 children followed them in 1867. I am descended from the daughter of Henry and Edwin's brother James. James died in 1853, but 2 of his children joined their uncles in New Zealand: James in 1870 and my great grandmother Sarah in 1876.

So in the space of 13 years virtually the whole family had left the Forest of Dean and re-grouped in the Christchurch area of New Zealand.

I think this sequence of emmigration is quite common, with one family member acting as the trailblazer and then sponsor for other family members.

by Mientajb @, Saturday, May 23, 2015, 16:34 (3260 days ago) @ Carolann_nz

Hi. I hope that you still look at this forum. I too am descended from the Barnett family of Dixton/Staunton. Your Sarah's grandfather William b1782 was the brother of Edward b1788. Edward is my 4th great grandfather. We also were interested as to why so many people left for New Zealand. We found a number of newspaper advertisements oferring 40 acres of land to anyone who emigrated. Henry was on the passenger list of the "Captain Cook" as being a farmer. Edward had a grandson John b1855 who also went to New Zealand. Do you know much of the family history going back. I would be very interested in knowing what happened to our family once they landed at Le Bon's Bay. I am visiting Staunton in September so am feverishly trying to get as much info together as possible. Barbara

by ElsieB, Saturday, September 05, 2020, 09:37 (1329 days ago) @ Mientajb

I have just joined the Forum so sorry it has taken so long to answer your question. I am also descended from the Barnett's who came to New Zealand. A family story I was told was the reason Henry and his family came was the ill health of their son, William, and they were advised the New Zealand climate would be better for him. As William died at the age of 81 I guess they were right in their decision to emigrate.

RSS Feed of thread