Smith's Emigrated to Australia (General)

by Joanne @, Sunday, April 17, 2011, 11:41 (4757 days ago)

Hi

Through the records on this site I have found that my 1st cousins 4 times removed, Benjamin Smith and Frank Smith both went to Australia in 1899 and their brother Amos Smith followed in 1901. All were the children of Benjamin Smith and Ruth Brown.

What should be my next step to locating their descendants in Aussie and what Aussie records are available to me online?

Jo x

SMITH's Emigrated to Australia

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, April 17, 2011, 11:42 (4757 days ago) @ Joanne

Some years of birth will help track them !

Might be be able to match to a returning SMITH :-
Benjamin Smith 65 abt 1874 28 Apr 1939 Brisbane, Australia London, England

Is it these fellows ?

Frank T Smith abt 1875 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Benjamin Smith abt 1876 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Amos Smith abt 1880 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean, Gloucestershire

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by Joanne @, Sunday, April 17, 2011, 11:46 (4757 days ago) @ slowhands

Sorry lol (What a div!)

Frank Smith b. abt. 1875 West Dean
Benjamin Smith b. abt. 1876 West Dean
Amos Smith b. abt. 1880 West Dean

Thanks

Jo x

Benjamin SMITH 1876 -1946 Joyford Emigrated to NSW Australia

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, April 17, 2011, 12:10 (4757 days ago) @ Joanne

Year: 1876
Month: Mar
Day: 15
Parents_Surname: SMITH
Child_Forenames: Benjamin
Fathers_Forenames: Benjamin
Mothers_Forenames: Ruth
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Joyford
Officiating_Minister: W.H. Taylor
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: PFC82 IN 1/4
Page_Number: 76
Parish_Chapel: Christchurch

{ regular readers know of my caution when citing a Public tree,... however}

Ancestry has:-

Benjamin Smith ( son of Benjamin and Ruth)
Birth: 1876 - Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England
Death: 1946 - Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Marriage: 1902 - Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Spouse: Annie Matilda Hammond

Daughter
Annie Amelia Smith
1903 Birth Stockton, New South Wales, Australia
1924 Age: 21 Marriage to Stanley Brown Wickham, , New South Wales, Australia
1974 Death Age: 71

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by Joanne @, Sunday, April 17, 2011, 18:35 (4757 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands, that's great! The baptism is the correct one and shows the place of residence as Joyford, there are more that migrated from Joyford on this site so I may check those out now on the off chance they belong to my family too. I will also look into the publice tree info that u found on ancestry. Seems promising!

Jo x

by vcatkinson @, Monday, June 06, 2011, 11:24 (4707 days ago) @ Joanne

Benjamin is on one of my branches, he is the son of Edward Smith (bapt 26.12.1819 Christchurch)and Amelia Gwilliam (marr 1843 St Briavels).
For Benjamin & Amelia I have George c1847; Eliza C 1849; Benjamin c1852; Amos c1854; Hannah c1856; Milson c1859. These all appear on census' for Berry Hill.
I have the Smiths back another 5 generations if you would like them - our common ancestor is John Smith my 8x gt grandfather bapt 11 Jun 1703 at Newland.

--
10 generations in the Forest

by Forest Freda, Sunday, October 17, 2021, 20:41 (920 days ago) @ vcatkinson

I am confused with this branch as Thomas and George are stepsons in 1881 census and have surname Williams! I have a postcard a picture of George in army uniform addressed to Amos and Jemima wishing them a Happy Christmas.

by Forest Freda, Sunday, October 17, 2021, 20:47 (920 days ago) @ Joanne

Frank Smith 14/09/1874-30/01/1960 m Elizabeth
emigrated Australia 1899 lived 71 Scott St Carrington Newcastle NSW children Nellie (19/02/1916-02/08/1996) who married William Aubrey Kelly (1923-1998) Other daughters:
Vera and Jessie Christianna
Benjamin Smith (1876-1946) also emigrated in 1899 marrying Annie Matilda Hammond in 1902 in Stockton NSW. They had a daughter Annie Amelia Smith in 1903. They must have divorced as she subsequently remarried in 1911. Annie Amelia Married Stanley Brown Wickham (1901-1963) in 1924. Annie Amelia died in 1974.
Amos Smith dob 26/02/1879 ? died 1941 not much information. I have a postcard to Amos and 'Jemima' from a soldier called George may be WW1 uniform. I am trying to work out who George is!
Nelly Smith sent my brother a boomerang.
I have a lot of Australian photos of the Smiths, but can only guess who is who.

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Sunday, October 17, 2021, 23:12 (920 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi
Amos Smith married Jemima Covan or Govan McCulloch in 1903 (Registration number 2409/1903) Registration district recorded as Sydney.
However their first son Benjamin was also born in 1903 (Registration number 34537/1903) Registration district was Stockton (near Newcastle). I believe this is same area as the other Smiths. (I previously posted some details on them and their locations)
Amos and Jemima also had other children. One of them was George Harrison McCulloch Smith born Balmain North in 1907
Another. was Peter McCulloch Smith born 1905 registration district of Helensburgh
Then Jean Smith born 1918, registration District Balmain North.
Electoral Rolls show they were living at 30 Thomas Street Balmain with Amos a Labourer. (Balmain a Suburb of Sydney.)
In 1930 they were living at 25 Louisa Road, Balmain and remained there until their deaths. Amos recorded as a Miner.
Amos died 1942. Registration 7496/1942
Jemima died 22nd April,1944.
Hope this helps

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Monday, October 25, 2021, 11:21 (913 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Dear Sid,
Thank you so much for that! It blows out of the water my identification of a young man in Australian army uniform on a postcard done in Ruskin Studios Perth 'To Jimima & Amos & family from George with love Wishing you all merry exam(sic) Happy New Yearxxxxx The soldier in army fatigues, flat cap and puttees not sure if the Australian Expeditionary Force uniform as Amos and Jimima's son would have been too young! But probably family as card must have been sent back to Jessie Marchant nee Smith in UK!!! He is a handsome fellow in front of a photographer's backdrop sporting a moustache and looking earnestly into the camera!

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Monday, October 25, 2021, 11:45 (913 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi
Thank you for your reply.
In WW1 some of the Australian Troops wore Flat Caps (similar to an officers cap) as well as there more well known Slouch Hat.
In the photograph, is the cap badge visible ? and are any shoulder patches on the sleeves of his uniform visible ?
Also, a lot of the soldiers photographs were printed in newspapers in special editions.
The location of the photograph being in Perth could be because stroop hips often waited in Western Australia, sometimes at Albany, until sufficient ships and Naval forces could be marshalled to form a convoy to proceed overseas.

Sid Toomey

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Monday, October 25, 2021, 12:06 (913 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

This is a very very long shot but is there a John William Smith in your family tree who might have been George's father ? Mother might have been Hilda Beatrice Smith.
This relates to a service record for a George Smith whose parents lived in Carrington Street , Wallsend ,Newcastle.
Million to one shot.

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 00:44 (912 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

I will try and match it with records and what photos came from Jessie Smith! George must be a family member for the photo taken in Perth to wend its way back to Jessie!(So many photos with no names!!!)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 10:04 (897 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

I don't know whether this helps regarding the elusive George Smith in WW1 Army uniform and a possible relationship to Jessie Smith. (I am confused and don't have a grasp on the Smith family structure. )(The ones who came to Australia).

There is a George Smith who enlisted in WW1 with details as follows :-
Enlisted 24th Dec.1915 in Newcastle although he lived in Goulburn, Country NSW. Married. (Record also says Widower).Aged 24 years 3 months
Mother : Jessie Smith. living at Hargreaves Street Newcastle. (Not far from other Smiths mentioned in previous posts)
Enlisted in D Company, 35th Battalion.
Church of England.
Proceeded overseas to France in 1916.
Wounded in action in Flanders in 1918.
A touching note is that his New Testament was found on the battlefield in Flanders in 1918 by an Englishman who handed it in. The Army then tried to find a forwarding address for him after WW1 to return it to him.

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Sunday, December 12, 2021, 19:52 (864 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Oh Sid I have a feeling that's not our George Smith. Jessie Smith (1892-1976) married a Marchant and lived in UK all her life. She was my maternal granny brought up in Lane End. She was the youngest. She had a slightly older brother Alfred (born 1889) who I haven't really followed up although there was an Alfred Smith in the prison records...I haven't chased further YET!!! So Frank (1874-1960) Amos (1879-1942) and Benjamin (1876-1946) were the lads that went to the NSW coalfields
George the recently enlisted soldier and postcard writer born 1875 was their cousin (son of George Smith (1847-1917) and Sarah-Ann Dobbs (1848-1923) my granny's uncle and aunt... Boy I wish there was another name OTHER than Smith!!!

by Forest Freda, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 08:38 (912 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

I was wondering whether George might be the son of George Smith (1807-1917) and Sarah Ann Dobbs (1848-1923) from West Dean as his last UK census appearance would be 1901 and I wonder whether he emigrated to New South Wales like his uncles Frank, Benjamin and Amos??? He would have been 41 in 1915 so he could be the man in the photo. I can't find any passage to Australia. I suppose a lot of Forest folk did go to the Australian coalfields???

by Forest Freda, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 11:08 (912 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

The photo of George taken at a studio in Perth...

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 21:55 (909 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

Did you attach a photo to your message ?

If so it hasn't shown at my end

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Monday, November 08, 2021, 13:31 (899 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Hello Sid,
I am not sure how to attach a photo. It won't copy and paste! George has got no badges or anything to identify his regiment. AS soon as he got his uniform he must have rushed into the photographic studio in Perth.
I found a little calendar from 'George Smith' with his then address printed on it. 25 Louisa Road Birchgrove NSW for the year 1942 so maybe George survived WW1.
I have several copies of a studio portrait of a ferocious looking woman in black who may be Benjamin Smith's wife Ruth 1854-1931 although the skirt is ankle length so I wonder if it could be either Elizabeth Chamberlain 1812-1886 or Amelia Gwilliam 1826-1904 or even Richard Smith's wife Mary Thomas 1812-1889. She certainly cuts a matriarchal figure! No studio identifying information alas!
Also a man with fine whiskers in what I think is a Victorian fireman's uniform....
Oh if only family had penciled names on the back!!!
Best wishes Penny

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Monday, November 08, 2021, 17:55 (899 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hello Sid,
I am not sure how to attach a photo. It won't copy and paste!

When posting a message, click on the 'image' button on the right side of the page. Select how you want it aligned (just select default as it's a pointless feature)

[image]

then it will open a window where you can put in the address to the location of the image.

[image]

The image has to be located somewhere such as Flickr or some other image hosting site. I use Imgur.

In Imgur or Flickr or whatever you use, there will be a sharing option that will give you a link. Copy the link and paste it into the image location address dialog.

Or, if the image host gives you a BBcode (as Imgur does) you can paste that straight into the message without needing to use the image button first.

--
Peter

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 09:57 (898 days ago) @ probinson

Hi Peter
I have tried to post an image which you should see on the forum However i don't think i have been successful. I assume i have to sign up to "Imgur" for it to be successful as my screen is telling me my image is "Hidden" ?
As part of the signing up process it seems like i have to insert my telephone number and that "normal rates and charges" will occur.
Any new procedure in using my computer makes me wary as i don't understand all the implications.
I come from a generation where most people in my neighbourhood didnt have a telephone or automobile let alone any other new fangled technology.
Can you offer any further advice.
I still think this photo option could benefit other forum users.

Thanks

Sid Toomey

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 11:03 (898 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

They only use the telephone to verify you to stop scammers using the site Sid. It needs to be a mobile number though so they can send you a text. Or you can sign up using the app (on a phone) with either a Google or Facebook account if you have them. In that case, a phone number isn't required.

I've posted some more in the other thread.

--
Peter

by Forest Freda, Friday, November 19, 2021, 18:34 (887 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Very keen to see this photo. I managed with difficulty (lots) to post George Smith!

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 09:20 (898 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi Freda

Thankds for your message. Peter has posted a procedure to show how to attach photos. Give that a try and see how it goes. Once i see the photograph i will see what i can find but no promises.
Also, there is a provision in this Forum for you as a member to lodge your email address. Do that as well and then i can securely email you if all else fails.
Good luck. Technology gets the better of me every day.

Sid Toomey

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 09:59 (898 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

This post is mostly to see if i can follow Peters post on how to attach photos successfully.
As an example i am using an Ancestor of mine, Richard Toomey/Tummey who had a lease on a a cottage on Birdwood Common at the beginning of the 19th Century.
Late in the 18th Century he and his father, also named Richard, had the misfortune to be caught stealing sheep. The crime occurred after transportation to the Americas had ceased but before transportation to Port Jackson in far off Australia had commenced. Both of them went into Gloucester Castle Gaol to serve their seven year sentence but records discovered so far indicate only one came out.
The following attachment hopefully will show the location of his cottage which was also described in British History online as well as a newspaper report which accurately plotted the location of his cottage. I believe the location now is a fishing lake.
The map is an extract of a 1840 pre Gloucestershire enclosure map courtesy of "Know your place Gloucestershire".
https://imgur.com/a/CVcB6Tt

I hope this works.

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 19:48 (897 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Thanks Sid I will have a go when my head is clear for determined concentration!!!!
Freda

by shepway @, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 20:22 (897 days ago) @ Forest Freda

A short note to say that I am connected to Amelia Gwilliam. Her grandparents were Benjamin Gwilliam and Catherine Delaney who married 20 November 1792 at English Bicknor. Benjamin and Catherine are my 3xGreat Grandparents.
I have not researched Benjamin and Amelia but have a note of their marriage on 29 October 1843 at St Briavels.

Mike

by Forest Freda, Monday, November 15, 2021, 18:49 (891 days ago) @ shepway

Hello! Amelia is my second great grandmother and Benjamin my 3rd Great grandfather, so hello cousin! I have a photo of a matriarch that could be either Amelia Gwilliam (1826-1904) Elizabeth Chamberlain (1812-1886)or Ruth Chamberlain Brown (1854-1931) why oh why no one thought to scribble a name on the back! She appears to be holding a bible, probably dressed in black with a white lace ruffle at her neck secured with a broach. She is sitting in a studio on a pale wooden bench which thinking about it looks a bit modern for Victorian... I would post but I haven't been successful in the past!!

by shepway @, Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 16:47 (891 days ago) @ Forest Freda

When you login and go to my posting you will see there is an envelope icon following my username. Please click on it and message me direct and at the same time add your email address. we can then communicate off list.
I would also recommend you make yourself email contactable by logging in, accessing your profile by clicking on your username which you should see near the top of the Forum page and then tick the box next to "Email address contactable".
Mike

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Thursday, November 11, 2021, 01:00 (896 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

This reply relates to your message about the small calendar dated 1942 and George Smith, living at 25 Louisa Road, Birchgrove Sydney, NSW.
This is the same address of Amos and Jemima Smith from approximately 1930 until they died in the 1940's.
On 17th October this year i replied to this site giving brief details of the Smiths and their children living at Louisa Road.

Could the Calendar have belonged to one of their children, George Harrison McCulloch Smith , born in 1907 and died 1974 ?
His occupation was boatbuilder/shipwright and he lived with his parents through the 1930's and was still there in 1943 after his father had died.

Source for this information were Australian Electoral Rolls (Available on Ancestry) and also Trove Digital Newspapers from the National Library of Australia. (Free online)

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Monday, November 15, 2021, 17:16 (892 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Hello Sid Thankyou for pointing that out!
Thats possible, Then its a different George from the handsome fellow signing up in 1915 and photographed in the Perth photographic studio....I hadn't thought of that!
I still would like to post the photos of George and the older matriarch if I can work out how!!!
I am a bit obsessed about finding the George in uniform. The personality traits.... rushing into the studio before allocated to a regiment and his unique spelling of Xmas.... Exam! I also would like someone else to look and estimate his age I don't think he is in his twenties...

by Forest Freda, Monday, November 15, 2021, 17:51 (892 days ago) @ Forest Freda

[image]

by Forest Freda, Monday, November 15, 2021, 17:51 (892 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Not sure if that worked

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 11:32 (891 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi Freda, Looks like you tried to use a picture posted on Facebook. I don't think Facebook allows this hence why it's not showing. It also looks like you used a link to a Facebook page rather than direct to the image. Unfortunately that won't work either.

--
Peter

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 11:43 (891 days ago) @ Forest Freda

I've made a post on how to post images at https://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=53230. I hope that helps.

--
Peter

by Forest Freda, Friday, November 26, 2021, 15:43 (881 days ago) @ probinson

Thanks Peter!

by Forest Freda, Monday, November 15, 2021, 19:25 (891 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

I think I have a photograph of him on a boat!!!

by Forest Freda, Sunday, October 17, 2021, 17:31 (921 days ago) @ slowhands

Yes I am looking for those chaps Frank 1875-1960 married Elizabeth and they had 3 daughters Vera, Nellie and Jessie Christianna sometimes called himself Frank Smith Brown I have an address 71 Scott St Carrington Newcastle NSW. I wondered when he and his brothers emigrated Amos born 1880 and Benjamin 1876. and where they settled and who their wives and children were! My lost great uncles!

by Forest Freda, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 11:06 (912 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Amos married Jemima Macculloch in 1902 they lived in Balmain, Newcastle had 3 boys and one daughter Jean

Smith's Emigrated to Australia

by Forest Freda, Sunday, October 17, 2021, 17:43 (921 days ago) @ Joanne

Frank married Elizabeth and had 3 daughters Nellie Vera and Jessie Christianna
lived at 71 Scott St Carrington Newcastle NSW.
Frank T Smith Brown died 30/01/1960
Nellie Smith 19/2/1916-2/8/1994 married William Aubrey Kelly 1923-1998 in Islington NSW 1965
I am not sure of Elizabeth's surname.
Not sure if I have the right dates for Vera she died in 1970 or 1979 Nothing on Jessie Christianna.
I may have photographs of Frank Smith's family. Never met any of them. Nellie sent my brother a boomerang!
Nothing on Benjamin or Amos

by Forest Freda, Monday, October 18, 2021, 10:56 (920 days ago) @ Joanne

I found the photo of George taken in a studio in Perth Australia. Amos and Jemima recipients so made assumption Amos Smith married Jemima Catherine Macculluch married Amos in Sydney in 1903. They had Benjamin 1903-1959, Peter 1905-1907 and George Harrison Macculloch Smith (1907-1974) I have some australian photos I think Frank Smith and wife and daughters but a wedding and some work photos Address for Frank Smith's family 71 Scott St Carrington Newcastle NSW

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 10:22 (897 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

How do you know the photo studio was in Perth Western Australia ?

Intriguing.

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Monday, November 15, 2021, 19:10 (891 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Its printed on the back and the photo has been made into a postcard. 'Ruskin Studios Perth' But it was sent on to my Granny Jessie Marchant nee Smith by Amos & Jemima. Jessie was the youngest of the family. (Amos was 13 yrs older than her) I am thinking George was George Smith (1875- ? son of George Smith (1847-1917) and Sarah Smith nee Dodds ( 1848-1923) who would be their cousin and relatively close to Amos's age and likely to follow his adventurous cousins (Frank, Benjamin and Amos) to emigrate though I cant find a record of his emigration but English records just peter out after 1901 census...I was hoping he would be the calendar sender and survived the Great War but as you point out George could be Amos and Jemima's son!

by Forest Freda, Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 22:16 (890 days ago) @ Joanne

[image]

by Forest Freda, Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 22:23 (890 days ago) @ Forest Freda

[img]<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ByjHnC2" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/ByjHnC2">George Smith just  signed up  in the Australian army</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 22:29 (890 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi Freda,

The link you've used is to the page, not the image.

Here's your link

https://imgur.com/gallery/ByjHnC2

It should be

https://i.imgur.com/MSVtWKC.jpeg

Here's your image

[image]

--
Peter

by Forest Freda, Wednesday, November 17, 2021, 22:50 (889 days ago) @ probinson

Thank you so much I really struggled with this!
For seekers of the Smith family, this is George Smith born 1875 who has just signed up and gone into Ruskin studios in Perth Western Australia to have his portrait done in his new uniform. He has scribbled on the back of the photo 'To Amos and Jimima and family Merry Exam (sic) and a Happy New Year.
Amos was Amos Smith (1879-1942) son of Benjamin Smith (1852-1919) and Ruth Chamberlain Brown (1854-1931) of Lower Lane Five Acres who had followed his brothers Frank and Benjamin to the New South Wales coalfields in 1901 and met Jemima Macculloch (1883-1944)whom he married in Sydney in 1902.
George Smith was Amos' cousin. George was the oldest son of George Smith (1847-1917) and Sarah Ann Smith nee Dobbs (1848-1923) of West Dean
I am trying to find out more about George!

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Monday, November 22, 2021, 09:48 (885 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi
Do you have details of exactly when Benjamin, Frank, Amos and George Smith came to Australia ?
If you don't,, let me know as i have details of dates and the ships on which they possibly came, which look promising.
I also found a newspaper article regarding the details of Franks divorce which is interesting.Let me know if you want more information.
Regarding tracing the photograph of the soldier in Perth W.A. which is likely George Smith , i have done some haphazard searching of the National Archives of Australia, WW1 Soldiers service records, just to get a feel for "the needle in the haystack".
Doing a name search (free) for "George Smith" comes up with 655 possibilities where the given name "George" appears as one of the Smith given names.
Out of these , around a third of the records have not yet been examined so further details are not available on line.
Looking at the remainder, without opening the record which might sometimes be twenty or more pages long, there are numerous records for George Smiths from Newcastle and districts who enlisted in the Army in WW1.
Just by looking for ones born in the UK narrowed the search , and for records for someone born in Gloucestershire or Wales or Herefordshire narrowed the search to just a handful.
Also, looking at the photograph, i think (and i am definitely not an expert), by looking around the eyes, the person doesn't appear to be "Young", so if i am correct we are looking for someone "mature" which would match your George Smith's age.
There are so many flaws in this line of searching that i don't want to think of them.
Using "Trove" digitised Newspapers, i searched for the war years and a possible mention of a George Smith, restricting the search to the Newcastle Newspaper. There were several articles involving returned soldiers, killed in action or invalided back to Australia. Each of them gave further information to follow but since we don't know for sure if George actually lived in Newcastle or whether he worked in the mines in the Hunter Valley or Catherine Bay or Maitland, it widens the search area immensely. Having an uncommon name like "George Smith" certainly doesn't help.
Haven't given up on the search.
Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Thursday, November 25, 2021, 23:00 (881 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

That's wonderful Sid. No I don't have the details of how the Smith brothers my great uncles came to be in Australia. In fact I was surprised they emigrated before the Great War. I think the George Smith is the cousin of Benjamin and I agree with you about his eyes. I did wonder whether he would have been frontline in view of his age so wondered about the sort of role in which he would have been deployed. That doesn't help with the number of Smiths!!!The Newcastle NSW Museum were very helpful and pointed me to a family history society in the Newcastle/Hunter Valley but I haven't heard back yet!
I am a bit fascinated by George as a bit of his character comes to life from the photo and curious spelling!
I am also looking for any trace of Great Uncle Alfred Smith 1889- and Great Aunt Annie Smith 3/1/1885 Benjamin and Ruth Chamberlain Smith's other children. My granny Jessie Smith was the baby so I have her birthday books and postcard albums to work from!! I feel a little careless losing the part of the family that I don't think emigrated...or did they!
I might have a go at posting the photograph of the family matriarch. I think I need to look at how quickly studio photography developed in the Dean area to gauge which lady was depicted!!! I half hope someone else will have a similar copy and can easily identify her!!!

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Wednesday, December 01, 2021, 23:13 (875 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

Regarding Alfred and Annie Smith, I suspect they died young. If you search the Parish records on this site there are a couple of Burial entries which I think could be them.
Alfred Smith, aged two buried 13th April 1892 in the Parish of Christchurch while living at Mile End.
Annie Smith, aged 14 buried 23rd March 1899 in the Parish of Christchurch while living at Mile End.

The images of the original church registers are also available on Ancestry.

Sid Toomey

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Thursday, December 02, 2021, 04:42 (875 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

Regarding details of the three Smith Brothers Emmigating to Australia see passenger list details below (obtained from Ancestry) which i believe are the Brothers.

(a) The Orient liner R.M.S. "Omrah", Captain J.F. Ruthven, 8291 Tons with 225 * Statute adults sailed from London on 13th October 1899 on a voyage of 56 days via Plymouth, Colombo,Albany,Adelaide, Melbourne and finally Sydney . Other Ports of call were also listed.
Ben Smith age 23 described as a labourer.
Frank Smith age 25 also a labourer.
Some trivia concerning the voyage and passenger list is that on board were 180 NavalRatings returning to Garden Island, Sydney.
Another passenger was a Mr Scott who owned a very successful Drapery store in Hunter Street Newcastle. ( Did he get talking to the Smith brothers and convince them to make their fortunes in Newcastle ??)
on 27th November the ship berthed in Sydney at the Companies wharf on the East Side of Circular Quay.
* The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper reported that there were between "900 & 1,000 souls on board during most of the voyage".
The "Omrah" was the largest Orient line passenger vessel built in the 19th Century. Built in Glasgow, she had her maiden voyage during February 1899.

Sid Toomey

Details of Amos' voyage and possibly George Smith's as well to follow.

by Forest Freda, Sunday, December 12, 2021, 20:03 (864 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

I have been thinking about the Omrah and I wonder if Mr Scott would have talked with two labourers? They were coal mining lads. I suppose my picture is coloured by the Titanic films, steerage and more wealthy. I suspect at their age they would have been 10 years in the pits each like most forest lads.

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Thursday, December 02, 2021, 08:45 (875 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi again

Amos Smith is listed on the passenger list for the Orient Line's R.M.S. "Oruba" 3351 Tons, Captained by John Linklater, travelling from the Port of London, arriving in Sydney 28th September 1901.
He is listed as a 3rd class passenger. No other details recorded against his name.
Trivia about the voyage and ship.
Three people died during the trip. Two from natural causes with the third being a boy named John Clark,ten and a half years old was killed when he fell down one of the coal bunker chutes on 25th August.
After the ship left Fremantle West Australia for the final run to Eastern Australian ports, it encountered a South West gale off Cape Leuwin. The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper reported "it made things lively for a while, seas breaking on the high decks with exceptional fury , causing the 6000 * ton ship to labour heavily". Another newspaper reported the ship took on huge amounts of water.
* This contradicts the 3351 tons shown on the passenger list.From a history of the ship, it appears the larger figure was the gross tonnage and the lighter one was the net tonnage.
In late 1914,during the early part of WW1, Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty came up with the idea of disguising merchant ships to look like capital warships. One of those purchased (reportedly 14 ships) was "Oruba". With the addition of wooden profiles added it was made to resemble the Super Dreadnought Battleship HMS "Orion". However the Germans weren't fooled, probably because the construction activity was reported in the New York Times.
The "Oruba" was scuttled in 1916 at Lemnos Greece to act as a breakwater.
(Source for this information was Benjidog Ship Histories, also confirmed on other websites.

Sid Toomey.

P.S. Brief details of the Smith Brothers emigrating to Australia are also recorded on the "Emigrants list" under the resources tab of this site.

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Thursday, December 02, 2021, 09:12 (875 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Hi

Regarding the Cousin, George Smith and his voyage to Australia, there is a record of a George Smith, aged 38 and a Miner by occupation embarking in Liverpool on board the ship "Ayrshire" to depart on 30th September 1912. He travelled 3rd Class.
(Record in on Ancestry under UK and Ireland, Outward Passenger lists 1890-1960. He was to land in Sydney NSW.

There is another record of him arriving in Sydney 30th November 1912. (NSW Australia Unassisted Immigrant Passenger lists 1826-1922 on Ancestry)

Ships Master was W.J.Page. The vessel was 7751 Tons Gross.
Its end came in 1926 off SW India when it was abandoned after catching fire.

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Friday, December 03, 2021, 22:08 (873 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Thanks Sid! That fits George Smith born 1875 a bit later than his cousins! I have some clues from the Newcastle Family History Society to chase up too!!

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Friday, December 03, 2021, 22:51 (873 days ago) @ Forest Freda

Hi

If you wish, let me know the most promising of the clues to follow up as well. I have some details of George Smiths from Newcastle during WW1 taken from Trove newspapers site which give brief details of ones returning from the war injured or completed service of killed in action. Just to eliminate them or the clue just might be the trigger to link them.

Remember that if George's friendship was closest to Amos rather than Frank or Benjamin, in 1913 Electoral rolls (and then until the end of his life), Amos and Jemima had moved to North Balmain, a Sydney Suburb so Georges records might be centred in Sydney, rather than Newcastle.

There is an unopened WW1 service record for a George Smith whose next of kin lived in Balmain, age is close, so a slim chance that could be him. However he enlisted in a small town South West of Sydney which doesn't seem like it would be him except that it did have a history of Gold mining, although this was in decline by 1913.

Talk about a needle in a haystack

Sid Toomey

by Forest Freda, Sunday, December 12, 2021, 17:42 (865 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Sorry Sid, Been off the search for a few days. Is it possible George enlisted in Sydney and travelled to Perth to be allocated to his regiment and to embark on a troop ship? I suppose that would require finding out where the various regiments were headquartered?

by Forest Freda, Tuesday, December 28, 2021, 00:27 (849 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Oh I wonder, whether he may not have been allocated to a regiment in Sydney but travelled to Perth gets uniform is allocated to a regiment and embarks???

by Forest Freda, Sunday, May 29, 2022, 22:45 (696 days ago) @ Joanne

Just to say these lads were my great uncles. If you follow the thread here some answers!!

RSS Feed of thread