Richard Gammon born 1799 lived in Newent (General)

by Grassman, Sunday, May 08, 2011, 17:01 (4708 days ago)

I'm searching for any information on the above who married Mary Goode
on 14th Oct 1818 and had at least 3 children. Richard born 1819, William born
1821 (my 2 x Gt Grandfather) and Edwin born 1822.

From information received Richard was a Miller and Mary a shopkeeper in Newent.

Any information received will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Dave

Richard GAMMON

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, May 08, 2011, 17:32 (4708 days ago) @ Grassman

Just had a quick look at a couple of Public Members' Tree on Ancestry

Richard GAMMON c1819 (no mention of his parents) - married Harriet/Harriott MILLARD, born 1824, Westbury Wilts - married 1858, Bermondsey, London

----

1871 Census, Wiltshire, Westbury
Warminster Road

Richard GAMMON - Head - married - 51 Millwright, born Gloucestershire, Newent
Harriet - wife - age 46 - born Wilts, Westbury
Mary GAMMON, mother - W - age 69 - born Gloucestershire, Newent
Rachel MILLARD, Mother - W - age 67 - born Wiltshire, Westbury
Janet DUNN - Niece, age 13 - born Wiltshire, Westbury
Elizabeth SOUTHWARD - visitor, age 38, born Cumberland, Whitehaven

Richard GAMMON

by Grassman, Sunday, May 08, 2011, 17:43 (4708 days ago) @ m p griffiths

I'm sure Richard the son married twice, Harriet being the 2nd wife

Mary his mother is with them on 1871 census. It's Richard the father who I would like to find out more about

Richard GAMMON

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, May 08, 2011, 18:44 (4708 days ago) @ Grassman

On Public Member's tree, Richard GAMMON's born c1819 wedding certificate is available to view (via Ancestry)

He married at St Mary Magdalene 30 November 1858 - he was an Engineer, and a Widower - father Richard GAMMON, Millwright.

I'm having problems tracing Mary GAMMON (W) age 69 in 1871 born Gloucestershire, Newent, back to earlier census' - and this is the only census info on Public Members Tree on Ancestry.

? There is a Richard GAMMON, age 25 - on the Criminal Register at Gloucester Assizes - 2 April 1845, acquittal for Larcency.

Richard GAMMON

by Grassman, Monday, May 09, 2011, 21:06 (4707 days ago) @ m p griffiths

I've a private tree on ancestry and a copy of William's marriage certificate with Richard the dad being a Labourer. Richard the son I think is in Wolverhampton on the 1851 census. But the information is transcribed as (on ancestry) Richard Gaumond born about 1820 and born in Newport Glous. I'm sure this is Richard the son but not as yet provided them with correct details ?.

It's the dad's birth and marriage details I'm after and where is he on 1841 etc census

I've not got all my notes with me I'm sure that the reason is a misspelling of Gammon or variation of it.

Richard Gammon born 1799 lived in Newent

by kmaree, Thursday, September 02, 2021, 04:46 (939 days ago) @ Grassman

Hi Dave.
I believe you match my Grandfather on FTDNA with the YDNA... roughly 8-12gens back... I have traced his male lineage back to the mid 1700s, and possibly to the 1500s if I can confirm the father of William Brookes born roughly 1731. Id be curious to know if you have Brook matches in your YDNA or autosomal results.

Regards
Katrina

RSS Feed of thread