Seeking Barbara Owen and Cyril R Mountjoy (General)

by cchuggins @, Saturday, September 03, 2011, 09:38 (4618 days ago)

I have two publications which may be of interest to people researching the Mountjoy family. in the Forest. I would dearly love to share them with the site but I do not seem to be able to determine how to contact the authors and was wondering if anyone could help so that I could share them? I have drawn a complete blank with the internet. Perhaps I need to be contacting descendents of the authors but again no idea who they might be or where to start.

The first is: Joseph & Rosanna Mountjoy's Family by Barbara Owen, April 2003

The second is a chapter from : A Mountjoy Family at Clearwell Meend by Cyril R Mountjoy, 1989.

I have tried to contact a well-known Mountjoy researcher, Brian Mountjoy in NZ, as I thought he might know how to contact these people, but have been unsuccessful in receiving a reply.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Cerys

Cyril R Mountjoy prior thread

by rachaelw @, Saturday, September 03, 2011, 14:30 (4618 days ago) @ cchuggins

Barbara Owen - website regarding the surname KEAR

by m p griffiths @, Saturday, September 03, 2011, 14:41 (4618 days ago) @ cchuggins

http://www.nockamixon.us/BC/surnames/kear.htm

This website by Nancy (email address at end of article) seems to talk about 'her sister' Barbara OWEN - who appears to have written a books on FOD inc James KEAR of Cinderford...... (Owen 1989)

Barbara Owen - website regarding the surname KEAR

by cchuggins @, Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 11:04 (4614 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Thank you - I had found the website you talk of, but had missed the part where it said about Barbara being the sister!

Appreciate your help and will continue to try to track the family down :-)

Cyril Ronald MOUNTJOY 1912 - 1992

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 11:59 (4614 days ago) @ cchuggins

Name: Cyril R Mountjoy
Mother's Maiden Name: Watts
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1912
Registration district: Monmouth
Inferred County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 34

Name: Cyril Ronald Mountjoy
Birth Date: 12 Aug 1912
Date of Registration: Apr 1992
Age at Death: 79
Registration district: Merthyr Tydfil
Inferred County: Mid Glamorgan
Volume: 27
Page: 346

possibly :-

Year: 1915
Month: May
Day: 3
Parents_Surname: MOUNTJOY
Child_Forenames: Cyril Arnold
Fathers_Forenames: Harry
Mothers_Forenames: Florence
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Sling
Officiating_Minister: W Robinson
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Aug 12 1912
Notes: The date in the Memoranda column is probably the birth date. Page Nos 90 - 99 were incorrectly numbered. The page number used here is the amended number.
Register_Reference: P88 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 93
Parish_Chapel: Clearwell

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Barbara OWEN nee KEAR

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, September 07, 2011, 12:06 (4614 days ago) @ cchuggins

Name: Barbara Kear
Spouse Surname: Jack Owen
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1947
Registration district: Staines
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume Number: 5f
Page Number: 676

I think these are the Kear sisters and parents :-

Name: Ivor E Kear
Spouse Surname: Elizabeth J Marfell
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1925
Registration district: Westbury On Severn
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 717

Elizabeth M Kear Jul-Aug-Sep 1927 Monmouth Wales

Barbara H Kear Apr-May-Jun 1931 Monmouth Wales

<><><><><><><><>

Year: 1925
Month: Aug
Day: 3
Grooms_Surname: KEAR
Grooms_Forenames: Ivor Evans
Grooms_Age: 34
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Schoolmaster
Grooms_Residence: Cinderford
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: KEAR
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: George
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Confectioner
Brides_Surname: MARFELL
Brides_Forenames: Elizabeth Jane
Brides_Age: 22
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Holy Trinity
Brides_Fathers_Surname: MARFELL
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: Benjamin
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Colliery Examiner
Licence_or_Banns: Licence
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both Sign
Witness_1: B Marfell
Witness_2: George Kear
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: W M Bellamy Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes: Bride signs in her married name
Register_Reference: P109 IN 1/21
Page_Number: 44
Parish_Chapel: Drybrook

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Seeking Barbara Owen and Cyril R Mountjoy

by breckenridge2020, Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 15:48 (1345 days ago) @ cchuggins

Cyril R Mountjoy was my uncle; he was my fathers older brother. I have been trying to track down a copy of the book/pamphlet he wrote for a number of years. I moved away from the Forest in 1967 to join the Royal Air Force and never really returned as my father passed away in 1969.
He had two daughters Carole and Cheryl sadly Carol passed away last year , however, Cheryl is alive and well and lives near Coleford.

by cchuggins @, Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 19:35 (1345 days ago) @ breckenridge2020

Hi,
I posted the original enquiry in 2011 as I believed Cyril had researched the Mountjoy name.
Do you know the title of his pamphlet?
I was previously in touch with Barbara Owen & she had published her research. I think I have a copy of it somewhere so could see if it’s mentioned in that if you want.
I guess we’re probably distant cousins somehow - my grandmother was a Mountjoy, but born in South Wales, descended from a line which moved there in the 1850-60s.
Best wishes,
Cerys

by breckenridge2020, Thursday, August 20, 2020, 12:05 (1344 days ago) @ cchuggins

Hi - Yes he did a family history I believe it was called "A family Mountjoy at Clearwell Meend" or something similar which is what I am trying to track down as my own granddaughter is interested in our family history.

My cousin Carol (Cyril's daughter) lived in South Wales (Hirwaun) most of her life and when Cyril left the Army after the war (he was awarded the Military Medal for bravery during the war) he settled in South Wales although his mother and father, my grandparents, (Harry and Florence Mountjoy nee Watts) lived in the Forest of Dean initially in Clearwell then in Bream. Harry died around 1952 and was a miner and Florence in 1982.

Cyril was one of 4 children, Eunice, Grenville (my father) and Dorian who died during the 1918 flu outbreak.

Eunice married Eric Hawkins had two boys Philip and John my parents Grenville and Belinda nee Harris had two boys myself and Garrick. I was born in Aberkenfig.

We may be distant cousins it would be interesting to trace the family as Cyril did try however that was before the power of the internet resources available today.

regards

Roger

by cchuggins @, Sunday, August 23, 2020, 20:42 (1341 days ago) @ breckenridge2020

HI Roger,

Thanks for the background. I don't have Harry Mountjoy on my tree, but I expect we are distant relatives. Have you or your granddaughter taken a DNA test? I have done and Ancestry one and a 23and Me.

According to my original post, somewhere in my house I have a chapter of the book you mentioned. I can't remember where I obtained it, but it may have been in the library The Gage Library at the Dean Heritage Centre, near Cinderford, which I visited some years ago.

I will try to have a look for it over the bank holiday weekend. Unfortunately I'm guilty of having paperwork in multiple boxes/locations!

my email address is cerys.baigent@gmail.com. If you could let me know yours I will email it if I can find it.

Best wishes,
Cerys

RSS Feed of thread