David WATKINS 1948 - 2012 (Announce)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, June 22, 2012, 07:29 (4319 days ago)

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=37299

[image]

I have received a message from Dave's Sister and Family ....

"... put a thank you on the forum from myself and the family for all the lovely messages and condolences that have been put on the forum. They have made me feel so proud of my wonderful brother."

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

David WATKINS 1948 - 2012

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 22:59 (4314 days ago) @ slowhands

I have received a message from Elizabeth Watkins Barner......

"I’m hard pressed to use words that haven't already been expressed on this forum. He was everything you've all described and more. He contributed thousands of hours to the Watkins Family History Society website. It was his initial pursuit to provide maximum exposure to anyone searching for their ancestry. The current Forest of Dean website became his passion – a dream that he worked tirelessly to make a reality. And so it came to be. Good on ya, Dave.

I was privileged to know Dave, to hear his laughter & to see the smile in his eyes. He loved his family dearly, and once you were a friend, you remained a friend. He was genuine and kind. A fiercely private man, full of willingness to give of himself, he had an innate sense that he could reach out to others who asked for help. He saw the needs of others before his own.

Well, like it or not, Dave - we mourn your passing in selfish manner, knowing we won't read your words of encouragement, or be recipients of your patience and lengthy searches for our families' past. Now you are part of the many wonderful memories we hold so dear - & we are grateful beyond words for the individual gifts you gave to each person you touched.

We will go on, we will laugh and find joy in all that life offers us, but you will not be forgotten."

--

David WATKINS - Thanksgiving Eulogy

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, June 29, 2012, 08:11 (4312 days ago) @ slowhands

[image]

"we" organised a Service of Thanksgiving for Dave in the Forest on Saturday July 14th 2012 12:00 St Johns Ruardean

David, Graham, May, Michael and Slowhands

Thank You a Eulogy about Dave

It is a privilege to be stood here as a friend and at the same time a little daunting.

David, however you knew him - as a loved Brother, Father, Grand Father, Husband, Cousin, Friend or maybe just "Admin". It is a reflection on Dave’s quiet willingness to help others that many have expressed surprise at the deep respect and admiration that we share for Dave.

So how can I put into words the life of a man like David Watkins? He was a man whose influence literally reached around the world. He was a legend in his field of interest "Family and Social history", centred on two foci Watkins and the Forest of Dean. If there is anywhere on this planet that those two come together it is in this village of Ruardean. Dave was the heart and soul behind our virtual meeting place, the name behind much research and many discovered connections.

Now this isn't news to anyone in this room, but Dave was special. Dave was one of a kind. He had many special skills. Technical - yes the Watkins and Forest of Dean web sites are there for all to see. Inspirational - I have mentioned his willingness to help and give his time and experience to anonymous people across the globe, sharing his enthusiasm for Family History. It was infectious, as simple as that, being nurtured by Dave was such a subtle experience; it’s only on reflection that you realise.

That nurturing helped build a loyal team of supporters and helpers, a number of you are here today. He made you feel like you and your question were the most important in the world.

His most impressive skill was his ability to not be in the spotlight. There are few people I've ever met who truly deserved the heat from that shining light as much as Dave, but he never let it shine on him long enough to feel the warmth. I believe that Dave just wasn't concerned about “Dave”. He wanted to help you….. and if he couldn't, he knew a team who probably could.

So how do you put into words the life of a man like David Watkins? I think the words that sum up his life the best are the words that probably meant the most to him. Words we've all said or written countless times.

No not "Have a Good day" but the words "Thank you."

And we all have a lot of reasons to say it today.

Thank you Dave for changing every life you helped directly or indirectly.
Thank you for inspiring us to help others.
Thank you for making us feel important.
Thank you for listening to our questions and stories.
And most importantly, thank you for letting us be a part of your life.

One Forest researcher has written to me, I’d like to quote her words - “In addition to being a very kind gentleman, at least in his dealings with me, I am very grateful to him (and the rest of you kind folks) for not only helping me progress with my family tree research, but also giving me something to hold on to, something to focus on, when I felt as if I were truly lost. “

Another wrote “David’s spirit will live on and you will have many precious memories of him to treasure. Sleep well David, thank you and God Bless You.”

In a long overdue act of gratitude, I'd like you to join me in saying a thank you for our dear friend David Watkins. It's time he takes his moment in the spotlight he's deserved it for so long.

Thank you Dave.

We miss you. God Bless you

And as you would say "Have a good day"

--

David WATKINS - Thanksgiving - order of service UPDATE

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, July 15, 2012, 06:44 (4296 days ago) @ slowhands

Welcome to the

Thanksgiving Service

For the life of

[image]

Dave Watkins
1948 – 2012

St John the Baptist Church, Ruardean
14th July, 2012
Led by the Reverend Nick Bromfield

OPENING ADDRESS

HYMN

Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me bring your love;
Where there is injury your pardon, Lord;
And where there's doubt true faith in you.

Refrain:

Oh, Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love with all my soul.

Where there's despair in life let me bring hope;
Where there is darkness, only light;
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

Refrain

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
In giving to all men that we receive;
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

PRAYERS

SCRIPTURE READING Colossians 3: 12-17

READING “Not how did he die, but …”

Not , how did he die, but how did he live?
Not, what did he gain, but what did he give?
These are the units to measure the worth
Of a man, as a man, regardless of birth.
Not, what was his church, nor what was his creed?
But had he befriended those really in need?
Was he ever ready, with word of good cheer,
To bring back a smile, to banish a tear?
Nor what did the sketch in the newspaper say?
But how many were sorry when he passed away?

EULOGY

READING “The Dash”

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning..to the end.
He noted that first came her date of birth
And spoke the following date with tears, 1948 - 2012
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth..
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own;
The cars..the house..the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real,
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile..
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

HYMN
O LORD my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hand hath made;
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,
Thy pow’r throughout the universe displayed:

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze:

And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die - I scarce can take it in:
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home - what joy shall fill my heart!
Then shall I bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God how great Thou art

READING “He is gone”

You can shed tears that he is gone
Or you can smile because he has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that he will come back
Or you can open your eyes and see all that he has left.
Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him
Or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember him and only that he is gone
Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

THE BLESSING

You are cordially invited to join us for Light refreshments after the service at the Malt Shovel

Donations if you wish:
for the Church Restoration Fund (there are Gift Aid Envelopes in the Church)
or
for the Gloucestershire “Hope for Tomorrow" Mobile Chemotherapy Units
in the collection box in the Porch.

--

Thankyou Slowhands & Co

by Roughyedbach @, Oldham, Lancashire, Saturday, July 14, 2012, 23:21 (4296 days ago) @ slowhands

My thoughts have been with you all and only I just wish I could have been there too.
I trust and know that you guys would have done the great guy proud. Thank you all on behalf of the Brain family. God Bless Dave. Roughyedbach xxx

Thankyou Slowhands & Co

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Saturday, July 14, 2012, 23:33 (4296 days ago) @ Roughyedbach

My thoughts have been with you all. Unfortunately I was not able to be there today.
Thank you all.
Paul.

Update on Thanksgiving service 14/07/2012

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 14, 2012, 23:44 (4296 days ago) @ Roughyedbach

On behalf of David, Graham, May, Mike and myself

We believe that a fitting Thanksgiving service was delivered on "home soil", thanks to those who came, and the many who joined us in spirit.

We have shared the Eulogy and Order of Service at

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=37492

--

Update on Thanksgiving service 14/07/2012

by Edenwall @, Sunday, July 15, 2012, 10:27 (4296 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you everyone who helped to make the service such a moving and fitting tribute. I was so pleased to be able to be there to hear the praises of Dave expressed so movingly, and to share in singing "How great Thou art" in our rich Forest accent.

Then the gathering in the Malt Shovel added more evidence of Dave's achievement in bringing people together electronically; here the delight of meeting face-to-face resonated round the room as did the resolve that the website must go forward.

As we drove out of Ruardean the sun was shining and the view across the Wye valley was as splendid as ever. It was so good to pause by the river at Lydbrook and recapture a bit more of the special magic of the Forest.

Edenwall.

David WATKINS 1948 - 2012

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 18:36 (3964 days ago) @ slowhands

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=37299

[image]

I have received a message from Dave's Sister and Family ....

"... put a thank you on the forum from myself and the family for all the lovely messages and condolences that have been put on the forum. They have made me feel so proud of my wonderful brother."

A year on, your legacy is strong

Thank you David RIP

--

RSS Feed of thread