Vaughan Family at The Pludds (General)

by bertha, Thursday, April 21, 2005, 08:33 (6937 days ago)

My ancestor was Absolom Vaughan, living at Pludds Court. I've traced him and his family via the various years of the Census, but am wondering if anyone knows of any Vaughans still living in Ruardean that may be related to him?

Vaughan Family at The Pludds

by slowhands @, Thursday, April 21, 2005, 12:05 (6937 days ago) @ bertha

http://homepages.phonecoop.coop/waltking/FH/vaughan.htm

may be known to you or of interest

there are Vaughan's in the Electoral register in Lydbrook and Ruardean Hill
(at least)

regards
S

by bertha, Thursday, April 21, 2005, 12:54 (6937 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for that Slowhands I'll check the Electoral Register next time I'm in Ruardean. Thanks also for the link to Walter King, I made myself known to him a few weeks ago, we're related!!

by Barb @, Thursday, April 21, 2005, 21:33 (6937 days ago) @ bertha

Dear Bertha ,
My ancestor is Absolom's brother John , born Jan 19,1777 , and married to Elizabeth Bewnnett in 1803 in Staunton by Monmouth. (I'm assuming that your Absolom was born in Nov 22 1772 , to Richard Vaughan and his wife Betty Gagg ! I know that there are 2 more Absoloms in the nexr generations.) Brother John is my g-g-g-grandfather.

If you have more info on Absolom & John's family and ancestors , I'd love it !I live in Canada . My grandfather came here in the early 1900s to farm the Prairies.My father has been back to Ruardean a number of times and keeps up a correspondence with his cousins in the area.Is part of your family still in the area ?

Good to meet you.Thanks,
Barb

by bertha, Friday, April 22, 2005, 05:42 (6937 days ago) @ Barb

Hi Barb.
The Absolom Vaughan I'm referring to is my Great Grandfather who was born in East Dean in 1820. He also had a son named Absolom who was born in 1854, and Absolom Jnr had a son called Absolom who was born in 1885.
Don't know whether this would be your Vaughans?
If so let me know and I can send you what I've found so far.
I don't live in Ruardean myself, my grandmother was born there, she was one of Absolom seniors daughters, Bertha Vaughan.
Best wishes Bertha

by Barb @, Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 22:01 (6931 days ago) @ bertha

Dear Bertha,
I guess I've gone back a few more years ! Your G-Grandfather Absolom's parents were William (born 1797)and Sarah Vaughan. William's parents were William (born 1748) and Hannah Vaughan. This last William was a brother of my G-G-G-G-Grandfather Richard Vaughan (born 1741) and married to Betty Gagg. William's brothers and father are buried in St.John's Baptist Church in Ruardean , so they were a well known family. This info might interest you .
It means that we are related !!

Bye Cousin ,
Barb

by bertha, Thursday, April 28, 2005, 03:31 (6931 days ago) @ Barb

Hi Barb,thanks for that.
I knew about Absoloms parents from the website Walter King has, and following on from his site, I visited Ruardean Churchyard about a month ago. I wrote all the Vaughans down that I could find in the Churchyard, and when I got home and did some research I was delighted to find that all the Vaughans buried there were related to me! (and you)!
Walter has done a lot of research into the Vaughans, and he has a really thorough site, I don't know if you've checked it out, but it is well worth a look.
Slowhands has posted the link to his site, further down the message board.
Best wishes cuz Bertha

by Barb @, Monday, October 03, 2005, 20:49 (6772 days ago) @ bertha

Hi again Bertha ,
Since I am in Canada , maybe I could use your legwork in Ruardean !First , Vaughan did you get confirmation that your Absolom was the son of William(b 1797) and Sarah Vaughan , and the grandson of William(b. Jan 1, 1748) and Hannah Vaughan ? Now William of 1748 had a brother Richard born July 19, 1741 and died in 1829. This Richard is buried in st John's Baptist, along with his father Richard (b. 1701) and his brother John (b.1737), I believe ? Is this the way you found it ?

My ancestry,we believe, comes from Richard of 1741. Did he marry Betty Gagg and have about a dozen kids ? One of those should be a John (surprise!!)born Jan 19,1777 ,who married an Elizabeth Bennett on Feb 15 , 1803 in Staunton by Monmouth and had a son John ,b. Sept 7,1806. This John is my G-G-Grandfather ,who married Elizabeth Thompson ,b. 1807.

Bertha , this is the main stumbling block for me to connect. I have emailed Walt but got no response so far.My father is 89 now and I'd like to solve this for him.

Many thanks,
Barb

by bertha, Tuesday, October 04, 2005, 08:09 (6771 days ago) @ Barb

Hi again Barb

I've gone through my research papers today, and can confirm that 'my' Absalom (which is my Great Grandfather) was indeed the son of William(b 1797)and Sarah Vaughan,(b around 1796) and he was the grandson of William (b1748) and Hannah Vaughan.
I can also confirm that William of 1748 (whose father is Richard b 1701) had a brother Richard (b 1741) and a brother John (b 1737)
Our research so far is exactly the same so I think we can assume that it is correct!
I will see if I can find any information for you, regarding the 'Gagg' connection. I have not come across this myself as it does not directly involve the part of the family that I am researching.

Regards Bertha

by bertha, Thursday, October 06, 2005, 03:26 (6770 days ago) @ bertha

Hi Barb,
Further to my post of the 3rd October. I've sent an email to Walt telling him about your interest in the family, and will let you know if I get a reply. Did you know that in the 'surname interest' section of this Homepage that Phillipa Cheshire is also researching the Vaughans from 1700-1800?
If you didn't know, it may be worth sending her an email and seeing if she can help you.
Regards
Bertha

by Walt @, Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 08:41 (6764 days ago) @ Barb

Haven't received your email, please try again to

waltking@phonecoop.coop

Walt

Vaughan -Some census data 1841 ->

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 11:14 (6764 days ago) @ Walt

1841 Pludds/Newmans Bottom HO 107/364/7 folio 35
Mary GAGG 35 Ind Y
Augustus 19 Collier Y
Thomas 18 Collier Y
William 16 Collier Y
Miles 9 Y
John 2 Y

1841 Lydbrook / Morse HO 107/365/10 folio 22
Wlm. VAUGHAN 40 Labourer of Mines Y
Sarah 40 Y
Absolom 20 Y
Ann 15 Y
Hannah 13 Y
Timothy 2 Y
Sarah Ann 6 months Y

1851 East Dean
HALE Moses 39 Coal Miner East Dean
Mary Ann 50 Gloucester City
HALE Moses 7 Scholar East Dean
GAGG Miles Stepson 19 Coal Miner East Dean

VAUGHAN William 55 Yeoman East Dean
Sarah 55 Gentleman Farmers wife East Dean
Timothy 12 Ruardean
Sarah Ann 10 Ruardean

VAUGHAN William 25 Haillier East Dean
Mary Ann 20 Knighton Radnor

Wm Vaughan abt 1798 Buardean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Sarah Vaughan abt 1798 East Dean Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Timothy Vaughan abt 1839 East Dean Son East Dean Gloucestershire

1861 High Beech
John Gagg abt 1837 Ruardean Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Sarah Ann Gagg abt 1841 Ruardean Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
John Gagg abt 1861 East Dean Son East Dean Gloucestershire

1871 High Beech
Sarah Vaughan abt 1801 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
John Gagg abt 1861 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Grandson East Dean Gloucestershire

Alsolom Vaughan abt 1821 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Vaughan abt 1825 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Alsalom Vaughan abt 1854 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Ann Vaughan abt 1866 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Burthar Vaughan abt 1868 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Vaughan abt 1861 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Meroda Vaughan abt 1864 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Sarah Vaughan abt 1856 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Timothy Vaughan abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

1881 Pludds Court, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Absolm Vaughan abt 1821 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head
Elizabeth Vaughan abt 1827 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Wife
Ann Vaughan abt 1868 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter
Bertha Vaughan abt 1869 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter
Timothy Vaughan abt 1857 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son

1881 Pludds Court, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Absolom Vaughan abt 1855 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Head
Augusta Vaughan abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife
Louise Vaughan abt 1880 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter

Vaughn, Absalom abt 1821 Ruardean, Gols Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughn, Eliz H abt 1823 Ebicknor, Gols Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughn, Ann abt 1890 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughn, Eliz H abt 1863 Ruardean, Gols Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

Vaughn, Timothy abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughn, Louisa abt 1865 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughn, Gertrude abt 1888 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughn, Sarah abt 1878 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Sister East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughn, Sidney abt 1890 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughn, Tim abt 1886 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

Vaughan, Absalom abt 1854 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughan, Augusta abt 1859 Hausley East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughan, Absalom abt 1885 Hausley East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughan, Alice abt 1889 Hausley East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughan, Emert abt 1887 Hausley East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Vaughan, William abt 1882 Hausley East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

Vaughan -Some census data 1901 ->

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 11:15 (6764 days ago) @ slowhands

Thimothy Vaughan abt 1841 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Gertrude Vaughan abt 1879 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Hilda Vaughan abt 1890 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Louise Vaughan abt 1886 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Mabel Vaughan abt 1888 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Sarah Vaughan abt 1877 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

Thimothy Vaughan abt 1858 High Beech, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Louisa Vaughan abt 1865 Hawsby, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Arthur Vaughan abt 1896 Pludds Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Blanch Vaughan abt 1897 Pludds Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Clara Vaughan abt 1898 Pludds Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Gertrude Vaughan abt 1888 Aston Bridge Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Louis Vaughan abt 1894 Pludds Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Thimothy Vaughan abt 1886 Aston Bridge Son East Dean Gloucestershire

by Maureen Albright ⌂ @, Wiltshire, England, Tuesday, January 24, 2006, 06:31 (6659 days ago) @ Barb

My notes from many years ago show that Richard Vaughan baptised 19 July 1741 married Betty Gagg.
Died 18 Nov 1829 and buried in Ruardean Church.
Hope this confirms your findings Barb.
I'm decendant of Bertha Vaughan & Walter John Phillips' son Wyndham.
So I think that makes me a cousin many times removed.

I have visited the Glos Record Office & also the London ROs.
Also visited and took photos of Ruardean and The Pludds, especially the house which William and Sarah built, it has their initials & date on the front.
Now I'll have to dig out all my old photos and get my web site up to date to show you.
Hope this helps.
Best Wishes
Maureen

by trish durrant @, Poole dorset, Monday, April 24, 2006, 14:19 (6569 days ago) @ bertha

I am trying to find out any information about Absolom and Sarah Vaughan.
I think their daughter Elizabeth could have been my great grandmother, any information would be a great help.
I am Walt Kings cousin

by bertha, Monday, April 24, 2006, 22:03 (6569 days ago) @ trish durrant

Hi Trish,
Welcome to the Vaughan family fold!!

I am the grand daughter of Bertha Vaughan, who was one of Absalom and Sarahs daughters.

As you are Walts cousin I'm sure you've already seen his excellent website which inclues the Vaughan Family, if not the link to that is posted in this thread. Slowhand has already given some Census information regarding the Vaughans, which is also posted in this thread.

Regards
Bertha

by tanith vaughan @, Thursday, April 27, 2006, 13:10 (6566 days ago) @ bertha

Hi Bertha,
I'm new to this website and wondering whether you could shed any light on some information on the vaughans. William 1797 married Sarah and had Absolom b1820, he had a brother William 1824 who died c 1859 - how I don't know. He was married to mary ann nee Owen(shown on 1851 census) they had William b c1856 who married into the Hewlett line of Blakeney. This one is my husbands g.grandfather. I've got all this from a website called "The Vaughans of Ruardean. Does this tie in with anything you have?

Thanks
Tanith

by bertha, Friday, April 28, 2006, 00:10 (6566 days ago) @ tanith vaughan

Hi Tanith,

The Vaughans of Ruardean site you mention belongs to Walter King. Walter is a member of this website and as you've guessed is related to the Vaughans.
The William and Sarah Vaughan you mention are my great great grandparents, Absalom who you mention (their son) is my great grandfather. One of Absaloms daughters, Bertha is my grandmother.

Regards Bertha

Elizabeth VAUGHAN 1861- 1894

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, April 24, 2006, 22:16 (6569 days ago) @ trish durrant

Name: Absalom Vaughan
Name: Elizabth COOPER
Year of Registration: 1852
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Ross
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Hereford And Worcester
Volume: 6a
Page: 707

Absalon Vaugha abt 1821 E Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head Ruardean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Vaugha abt 1825 E Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Wife Ruardean Gloucestershire
Absalom Vaugha abt 1852 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Ruardean Gloucestershire
Newly Born ( Elizabeth ?)abt 1861 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire

Alsolom Vaughan abt 1821 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Vaughan abt 1825 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Ann Vaughan abt 1866 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Burthar Vaughan abt 1868 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Alsalom Vaughan abt 1854 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Vaughan abt 1861 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Meroda Vaughan abt 1864 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Sarah Vaughan abt 1856 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Timothy Vaughan abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

Absolm Vaughan abt 1821 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Vaughan abt 1827 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Ann Vaughan abt 1868 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Bertha Vaughan abt 1869 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire
Timothy Vaughan abt 1857 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire

Drybrook Hotel ( Enoch Voyce - prop.)
Elizabeth Vaughan abt 1861 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant Westbury on Severn - East Dean Gloucestershire

Absalom Vaughn abt 1821 Ruardean, Gols Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Eliz Vaughn abt 1823 Ebicknor, Gols Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Eliz Vaughn abt 1863 Ruardean, Gols Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Ann Vaughn abt 1890 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

Name: Elizabeth Vaughan
Birth Date: abt 1862
Year of Registration: 1894
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at death: 32
District: Westbury On Severn
County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 192

RSS Feed of thread