Winnie VIRGO & J GOULDING, Blakeney 1916 (General)

by dink999 @, Sunday, December 23, 2012, 10:01 (4113 days ago)

From the Gloucester Journal 27 June 1916

No Place Like Home

In answer to a letter written at Blakeney Council School, and which was enclosed with a consignment of vegetables to the Fleet, Winnie VIRGO has received an interesting reply from J.G GOULDING, a seaman torpedo man on board a battleship. The writer in acknowledging the receipt of the vegetables, says:

"They were very acceptable indeed, coming as they did directly after our big battle in the North Sea. I am pleased to say that this ship did her little bit in the action. I beleive myself that we sank two German warships and one submarine, and brought down one Zeppelin, so I don't consider that we did very badly. No doubt you will be suprised to hear that I am a native of of Blakeney, and the school you go to now was my old school. Mr. Evan JONES was my schoolmaster. I can just picture Blakeney as it is now, and I say, although I have been almost all over the world, that Blakeney is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen"

In conclusion the writer thanks the master, teachers and scholars of Blakeney Council School for their efforts on behalf of the sailors of the Grand Fleet

Joseph Giles GOULDING, Blakeney 1892

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, December 23, 2012, 10:22 (4113 days ago) @ dink999

From the Gloucester Journal 27 June 1916

No Place Like Home

In answer to a letter written at Blakeney Council School, and which was enclosed with a consignment of vegetables to the Fleet, Winnie VIRGO has received an interesting reply from J.G GOULDING, a seaman torpedo man on board a battleship. The writer in acknowledging the receipt of the vegetables, says:

"They were very acceptable indeed, coming as they did directly after our big battle in the North Sea. I am pleased to say that this ship did her little bit in the action. I beleive myself that we sank two German warships and one submarine, and brought down one Zeppelin, so I don't consider that we did very badly. No doubt you will be suprised to hear that I am a native of of Blakeney, and the school you go to now was my old school. Mr. Evan JONES was my schoolmaster. I can just picture Blakeney as it is now, and I say, although I have been almost all over the world, that Blakeney is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen"

In conclusion the writer thanks the master, teachers and scholars of Blakeney Council School for their efforts on behalf of the sailors of the Grand Fleet

Name: Joseph Jiles Goulding
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1892
Registration district: Westbury on Severn
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 232

George Goulding abt 1856 Arlingham, Bedfordshire, England Head Awre, Gloucestershire
Emily Goulding abt 1860 Berrow, Somerset, England Wife Awre, Gloucestershire
Henry Goulding abt 1887 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre, Gloucestershire
Oliver Goulding George abt 1888 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre, Gloucestershire
Florence Goulding abt 1890 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Awre, Gloucestershire
Giles Goulding abt 1893 Blakeney Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre, Gloucestershire
Ethel Goulding abt 1895 Blakeney Hill, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Awre, Gloucestershire
Agnes Goulding abt 1897 Blakeney Hill, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Awre, Gloucestershire

Name: Joseph George Goulding
Age in 1911: 20
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Relation to Head: Visitor
Birth Place: Blakeney, Gloucestershire
Civil parish: Tormoham
County/Island: Devon
Street Address: 63 Dunmere Road, Torquay
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: Newton Abbot
Registration District Number: 272
Sub-registration district: Torquay

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Winnie VIRGO & J GOULDING, Blakeney 1916

by peteressex @, Monday, December 24, 2012, 06:35 (4112 days ago) @ dink999

I would appreciate readers' knowledge of any connection between Winnie Virgo mentioned here and George Virgo who married Hilda Sterrey (my grandmother's sister.) They eventually lived at 3 Fairfield Drive, Lydney. George is said by various sources to have come from Blakeney, Brockhollands and Woolaston!

Winifred Emily VIRGO , Blakeney 1897 -1969 (?)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 24, 2012, 07:23 (4112 days ago) @ peteressex

I would appreciate readers' knowledge of any connection between Winnie Virgo mentioned here and George Virgo who married Hilda Sterrey (my grandmother's sister.) They eventually lived at 3 Fairfield Drive, Lydney. George is said by various sources to have come from Blakeney, Brockhollands and Woolaston!

from this Virgo Branch ?

Although this Winifred would be 19 in 1916...
perhaps she was working at the school ?

James Virgo abt 1806 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Head Awre, Gloucestershire
Charlotte Virgo abt 1812 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Wife Awre, Gloucestershire
Walter Virgo abt 1846 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre, Gloucestershire
Joseph Virgo abt 1847 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre, Gloucestershire
Henry Virgo abt 1852 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre, Gloucestershire
Samuel Virgo abt 1854 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Son Awre, Gloucestershire
Ann Virgo abt 1851 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Awre, Gloucestershire

Name: Winifred Emily Virgo
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1897
Page: 238

Henry Virgo abt 1853 Awre, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Rose Virgo abt 1846 Soudley, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Harriett Virgo abt 1878 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Harry Virgo abt 1882 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Edgar Virgo abt 1887 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Ernest Virgo Habt 1890 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Oliver Virgo abt 1892 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Florence Virgo abt 1893 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emily Virgo abt 1897 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire

1911 Blakeney Hill
Henry Virgo 60
Rose Virgo 57
Henry Virgo 28
Oliver Virgo 20
Emily Virgo 13
Rose Davis 16

Name: Winifred E Virgo
Spouse Surname: Malpuss
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1923
Registration district: Gloucester
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 627

MALPUSS William Ewart John
VIRGO Winifred Emily
Gloucester Gloucester Register Office
1923 35 118

Name: Winifred Emily Malpuss
Birth Date: 28 Sep 1897
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1969
Age at Death: 72
Registration district: Gloucester City
Volume: 7b
Page: 1113

<><><><><>
Is this your George V ? relates to James / Charlotte

1911 New Rd Blakeney
Arthur Virgo 40 Hanley Staffs
Fannie Virgo 46 East Dean
Matthew James Virgo 18 East Dean
Ellen Matilda Virgo 17 East Dean
Albert William Virgo 14 East Dean
George Virgo 12 East Dean
May Virgo 5 East Dean

Arthur W Virgo abt 1870 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Fanny Virgo abt 1865 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Marthew J Virgo abt 1893 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Ellen M Virgo abt 1894 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Albert W Virgo abt 1897 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
George Virgo abt 1899 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire

1871 Hanley Staffs
James Vergo 36
Catherine Vergo 26
Samuel Vergo 7
Charlotte A Vergo 6
Mary Vergo 5
James Vergo 2
Arthur W Vergo 1

1841 awre
James Virgoe 30
Charlotte Virgoe 25
James Virgoe 6
Fanny Virgoe 4
John Virgoe 1

--

Winnie VIRGO Blakeney 1900 (?)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, December 24, 2012, 07:30 (4112 days ago) @ peteressex

I suspect this is not the one

Name: Winifred Elsie K Virgo
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1900
Page: 297

John Virgo abt 1868 Furnace Bottom, Gloucestershire, England Head St Nicholas, Devon
Mary Ann Virgo abt 1866 Bovey Tracey, Devon, England Wife St Nicholas, Devon
Winifred E K Vinzo abt 1900 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter St Nicholas, Devon

1911 Bank Cottage, Catchems End, Wribbenhall, Bewdley, Worcs
John Virgo 43
Mary Ann Virgo 43
Elsie Virgo 11
Sydney George Virgo 7
Dorothy Mary Virgo 5

Name: Winifred E K Virgo & Edwin A Manning
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1923
Registration district: Kidderminster
Inferred County: Worcestershire
Volume Number: 6c
Page Number: 191

--

Winnie VIRGO Blakeney 1900 (?)

by peteressex @, Monday, December 24, 2012, 15:04 (4112 days ago) @ slowhands

No worries. I'll get searching again when I've stuffed the turkey and eaten roast turkey, cold turkey, turkey escalopes, turkey curry, turkey pie, turkey casserole, turkey rissoles, turkey risotto, turkey jambalaya, turkey hash, turkey soup...

I wonder what my true love will give to me on the twelfth day of Christmas this year. Ah yes, a huge bill from the butcher.

Winnie VIRGO Blakeney 1900

by mrsbruso @, Friday, December 28, 2012, 14:14 (4108 days ago) @ peteressex

Peter,

The multi-initialled Virgo family from Blakeney Hill/Furnace Bottom/Gibralter are part of my lot. I have a good deal on them on a GED on a computer that is not currently functioning, BUT, I suspect I have some hard copies of at least some of the info in my research box. I'll mount an archeological dig over the weekend and see which Virgo's come to light.

Turkey ala King is also quite nice. . .

Winnie VIRGO Blakeney 1900

by peteressex @, Friday, December 28, 2012, 16:29 (4108 days ago) @ mrsbruso

Cheers. I'll look forward to what you unearth.

And I forgot turkey stroganoff.

by Pam Herron, Monday, September 23, 2019, 14:40 (1648 days ago) @ peteressex

My gt grandad was George Goulding,fisherman at Gatcombe are you still looking into this?

by Pam Herron, Monday, September 23, 2019, 15:57 (1648 days ago) @ dink999

This message was written by my grandads brother Giles and after,in 1923 he was drowned fishing from Gatcombe,a young man,and from this message ,a very nice appreciative young man too. So sad.

RSS Feed of thread