Mayors of Ruardean (General)

by Sylvia Morgan @, Thursday, May 05, 2005, 13:02 (6923 days ago)

Has anyone heard of the custom of appointing a "mayor " of Ruardean to preside over local events. The tallest man in the village was chosen apparently. There `s a family story that my great grandfather, William ALLAWAY was one such Sylvia

Mayors of Ruardean

by May @, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, May 10, 2005, 21:03 (6918 days ago) @ Sylvia Morgan

I am not sure whether the tradition is still alive. The Mayor was supposed to be the tallest man in the village and the last mayor I remember was Jimmy Whittington but he wasn't very tall. Perhaps he was the only one who would take it on. He used to organise the carnivals etc. but I will make some enquiries when I am next in Ruardean and let you know the outcome.

It is likely that your family story is quite true.

Mayors of Ruardean

by Sylvia Morgan @, Broadstairs Kent, Saturday, June 04, 2005, 05:18 (6894 days ago) @ May

Hi May have you found out anything about "mayors of Ruardean? Sylvia

Mayors of Ruardean

by May @, The Forest, Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 17:49 (6890 days ago) @ Sylvia Morgan

Hi Sylvia,

Not much to tell you, I haven't caught the right person at home yet. However, it was confirmed today that Kiah Miles was a Mayor previous to Jimmy Whittington, and Kiah Miles was indeed a very very tall man.

I listened to a story today, about someone who was summoned to and fined at the mayor's court in the Angel (Public House) for going home from the pub a little drunk one Sunday and eating the dog's dinner by mistake! I'm trying to find out if there are any records of this "court" as if there are they will make interesting reading.

I'll be in touch when I have more info.

May

Mayors of Ruardean

by Sylvia @, Friday, August 19, 2005, 16:49 (6817 days ago) @ May

Hi May I was looking through the FOD message board and saw your second reply re mayors of ruardean Idont seem to have recieved your message so i would like to thank you now and to ask you if you`ve found out anything else about it Sylvia

Mayors of Ruardean

by May @, Thursday, September 08, 2005, 17:53 (6797 days ago) @ Sylvia

Sylvia,

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten your enquiry. I brought the subject into a conversation today but only gleaned that Jack Wilce from Lydbrook was the first mayor. Will keep asking whenever there is an opportunity.

May

Mayors of Ruardean

by Sylvia Morgan @, Broadstairs Kent, Monday, October 03, 2005, 04:37 (6773 days ago) @ May

Hi HHHHHHHHHHHHHHave you been able to find out anymore about "mayors of Ruardean"? A while back I wrote to you about my grandfather or grt. (they both were called William ALLAWAY) I suspect it would have bee the older one I`d be grateful if you would send me any info you have found Best wishes Sylvia

Mayors of Ruardean

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 06:04 (6764 days ago) @ Sylvia Morgan

In the tibute to Jim Whittington is the answer to Sylvia's query that the tradition was that the talest man in the village should be the Lord Mayor. Well, the rules were somewhat changed in that it was agreed that the mayor, on this occasion should be the talest man in the village - lying down! Jim's vital statistics around his stomach easily made him number one for the job.

Mayors of Ruardean

by May @, Friday, October 14, 2005, 20:54 (6761 days ago) @ Sylvia Morgan

I spoke to Reg Duberley today and he knows that Allway was a mayor of Ruardean but despite his research he can find no written records. He has some old photos which I hope to see soon.

The court was re-convened last weekend and I'm sure there will be something in the local newspaper about it. I was unable to go but it seems it was an hilarious event. The case against the lady summoned for hanging out washing on St Munday was dismissed on the grounds that the men might run out of clean shirts and Sue was fined just ofer £2 for "cruelty to a perambulator" to be paid within 3 days. etc etc

Mayors of Ruardean

by Sylvia Morgan @, Friday, August 11, 2006, 09:23 (6461 days ago) @ May

Hi May
Did you get to see the old photos that Reg Duberley was going to show and were there any Allaway ones?
Best wishes
Sylvia

Mayors of Ruardean

by May @, Friday, August 11, 2006, 14:26 (6460 days ago) @ Sylvia Morgan

No, I haven't seen them yet. Maybe Reg has forgotten and I'm sorry but I haven't seen him around lately to ask him. Family committments have kept us busy this summer (including relatives visiting from Australia for 3 months) so there has not been much spare time for anything. I will ask him about the photos again as soon as I have the opportunity.

Mayors of Ruardean

by ijriddell @, Cinderford, Monday, November 07, 2011, 15:27 (4546 days ago) @ Sylvia Morgan

As a matter of interest, there are 2 clips on YouTube of the current Mayor of Ruardean at the Forest of Dean Morris Men Family Weekend last June. He is with The Southport Swords, with the Forest of Dean Morris Men looking on, in the garden of The Malt Shovel in Ruardean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLsCuB4RrHc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gpqq-nNTy8

Regards

Ian Riddell

Mayors of Ruardean

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, November 07, 2011, 19:34 (4546 days ago) @ ijriddell

As a small child in the late 60s/early 70s I vaguely recall Jim Whittington as he was a good friend of my late father William "Bill" Jones who was a lifelong worker at Edwards Coaches, Joys Green. I recall a short round jolly man with typical 60s blackrimmed glasses ?.
At the time I was very confused as to who he was, as I knew from panto of Dick Whittington but !?!

By coincidence re this post, according to family lore my dad's father Reginald Jones had apparently wanted to follow his own father's footsteps and become landlord of the Malt Shovel when he was invalided out of the colliery, but my Gran wouldnt allow it !

RSS Feed of thread