Hayward's of Gloucestershire (Parish Records)

by alby65 @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 15:46 (3824 days ago)

Since I had some much luck here before I thought I would try again.

Trying to locate parents of John Hayward born 1761, died 1852.

Married Elizabeth Rowles in Arlingham in 1790, than married Sarah Hall in Arlingham in 1819.

Any help with parents of John and/or Elizabeth Rowles would be so much appreciated.

Thank you.

Allison

Hayward's of Gloucestershire

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 16:04 (3824 days ago) @ alby65

There are a number of trees on Public Members Trees (Ancestry)

This is the 1851 Census, Arlingham

Sam HAYWARD - 58
Elizabeth - 50
Ann - 25
Joseph - 21
Henry - 13
A E - 8
Richard - 6
John HAYWARD - 91 Fundholder, born Broad Oak, Gloucestershire
John ROWLES - father-in-law- 85 - Gardener - Arlingham

---

Using the Advance Search for any births registered Broad Oak - these seem to be Broad Oake, etc, Westbury on Severn.

As John named a Son Samuel - this might be John's baptism....

6 February 1860

John HAYWARD

parents: Samuel & Mary

Parish Chapel: Westbury on Severn

+ siblings, Mary 1757, Sarah 1758, Samuel 1765

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 17:03 (3824 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Hi Alby,
searching tinternet I see you've been busy on your Hayward quest across the various forums for a few years now, full marks for persistence ! :-)

From this site's PRs, a possible ?:

Record_ID: 80153
Entry_Number: 338
Year: 1762
Month: Oct
Day: 3
Parents_Surname: HAYWARD
Child_Forenames: John
Fathers_Forenames: John
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Son of
Notes:
Register_Reference: P 354 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 11
Parish_Chapel: Westbury on Severn
Soundex: H630

by alby65 @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 17:25 (3824 days ago) @ Jefff

Yes, I have been...determined to go back as far as I can!! I too have the transcript for John Hayward and Mary Rowles. When it comes to Register_Reference number, page, etc....does that mean there is more information that can be found somewhere?

Thank you all again for helping out...it is so appreciated!!!

Allison

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 17:55 (3824 days ago) @ alby65

Hi Allison,
Re the Ref numbers etc, I believe this is largely a reference identifying the "master" reference source, ie the original Parish Register (ie that particular Parish Chapel's own handwritten set of books(Registers) of BMDs). When these are transcribed I'm sure all the relevant recorded details are included, for example sometimes the transcribed PR will contain extra notes or Minister's amendments etc, as found in the original PR book. I doubt the originals contain more details than the transcripts, they should be exact copies. The information recorded on these original PRs varied between different Chapels and even different Ministers at a Chapel, there were no Standardised systems then. Some ministers were perhaps more "efficient" than others eg in some Chapels a Burial will include references to a grave plot, but again these local systems vary between Chapels.

Please, where did you obtain John Hayward's marriage records, I cannot find them in this site's PRs ?. I ask as sometimes they will give the names of the couple's parents.

by alby65 @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 18:02 (3824 days ago) @ Jefff

FamilySearch has the transcript 05_Sept_1790 in Arlingham. Let me know if you cant find it and I can send you a copy or am I allowed to post it right on here?!

Debating whether or not to order a copy of the micro film for births, marriages and death in Arlingham. I'm un US so not so easy to research here. Plan on going back to England in February to continue my research (I have a ton of Hayward's to track)!

by alby65 @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 18:27 (3824 days ago) @ alby65

Still looking...so far I found two options that I believe it could be;

John born 1760 in Westbury to Samuel & Mary
John born 1762 in Westbury to John & Mary

I found a couple of Family Trees on Ancestry which mostly has John's parents as being:

Samuel Hayward 1721-1797 married to Mary Parry born 1734

Though, not much documentation to verify.

Hoping it's Samuel and Mary parry as their tree goes back another two generations!

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 20:00 (3824 days ago) @ alby65

Hi Allison,
yes please feel-free to post the Family Search info on here, I do it regularly, all sources are worthy of consideration.

Re the "microfilms" you mention, not sure what you mean or indeed will gain from that - in my experience the regular contributors to this forum have access to most available forms of reference for the area including those produced by Gloucestershire FH Society etc, hopefully the information you seek will be forthcoming via this forum.

by alby65 @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 20:23 (3824 days ago) @ Jefff

Here is the transcript from familysearch

John Hayward, "England Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Name: John Hayward
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 05 Sep 1790
Event Place: Arlingham,Gloucester,England
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M02657-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 417107, 856935
Reference ID:
Sources
No image available

Citing this Record

"England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NLS7-MYB : accessed 08 Oct 2013), John Hayward and Elizabeth Rowles, 05 Sep 1790.

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 20:37 (3824 days ago) @ alby65

Gloucester Marriage Index CD - pre 1800 Register

John HAYWARD married at Arlingham - Elizabeth ROWLES - by Licence

Will go through disc - as more ROWLES married at Arlingham

---

Looking at Westbury on Severn burials

John HAYWARD - 18 March 1760 - Son of Samuel & Elizabeth

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 21:34 (3824 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Here's another who died young, so can also be discounted wrt the original post:

Record_ID: 84011
Entry_Number:
Year: 1764
Month: Mar
Day: 30
Surname: HAYWARD
Forenames: John
Residence: Flaxley
Age_at_death:
Officiating_Minister: Richard Roberts Rector
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: Son of John & Mary Hayward
Notes:
Register_Reference: P220 IN 1/1
Page_No: 114
Parish_Chapel: Mitcheldean

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, October 09, 2013, 15:33 (3823 days ago) @ Jefff

Another possible John HAYWARD - birth at Newnham - (which I think is near Broadoak) and because of family names....

16 August 1765 - to Samuel & Margaret HAYWARD.

Samuel HAYWARD married Margaret TAYLOR (Widow) - at Newnham - 30 July 1764.

Doesn't say whether Samuel is a Widower?

?

Marriage at Newland - 4 June 1750

Thomas TAYLOR of Newnham and Margaret LEWIS of Newland

?

Burial at Newnham - 15 January 1763

Thomas TAYLOR - Maltmaker

---

There is a burial of a Samuel HAYWARD at Westbury on Severn - aged 75 - 26 November 1797.

---

Hayward's of Severnside Newnhamshire

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, October 09, 2013, 22:01 (3823 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Good evening M,
looks like the fair golfing weather is finally ending, were you out today ? - rather a cold wind and sudden rain here this evening and dark by seven, brr.

Yes, you are of course correct regarding Broadoak, it's just a mile or two upstream of Newnham towards Westbury then Gloster. Both Newnham & smaller Broadoak are Severnside on the outside of the Horseshoe bend, directly opposite Arlingham, all served by the ferry from 1802 til 1947. As well as the River, Newnham & Broadoak are linked by the GWR and the main A48 road.

Here's a map
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/index.php/resources/15-maps/97-forest-of-dean-east-circa-...
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Arlingham/Gaz1868.html

And this nice little site with history and old photos
http://www.newnhamonsevern.co.uk/living/groups/history-groupintro/

PS searching the Hayward name in the area gives a few Johns & Samuels within Victorian Directories, so yes these appear to be "family" names.

examples:
"Arlingham 1863,
Parish clerk, John Hayward.
Hayward Samuel, shopkeeper
Hayward Samuel, jun. New Inn #
(at nearby Overton, Hayward Joseph, farmer & beer retailr)"
http://parishroots.co.uk/2013/08/24/arlingham-kellys-gloucestershire-directory-1863/

"Newnham 1879 - Ferryman, Samuel Hayward."
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/index.php/resources/kelly-s-directory-1879/72-newnham

#For more info and history of the New Inn search "Arlingham" in this site and page thro' the eight hits.
http://www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk/AllGlosPubsDatabase/AllGlosPubs_view.php
Keepup the great work :-)

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, October 09, 2013, 22:16 (3823 days ago) @ Jefff

Have been on the golf course today - the leaves are now all over the course - and ball hunting takes on a different prospective!

Thank for the map - can now see Bullo - which my great grandad visited many times according to his Work Log

i.e. 22/23/28 December 1897 - To Bullo, Haulin Granite - and noticing Slowhands message re resurfacing roads in Blakeney later on this month..... early in December 1897 - 15 Dec, 'Finished stone on Station Road from Adams for City Council 54 and a half yards at 2shillings per yard (received 5.9) William WICKENDEN who lived at Nibley Mill, Blakeney - laid most of the stone, which is now about to undergo resurfacing.......

by alby65 @, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 19:03 (3822 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I put a request into the archives hoping they will find John Hayward and his parents...they said about 10 days...uggh.

In the meantime...I Found Him...Charles Hayward born 1825 to parents Charles and Mary Knight.

In 1891 - Oystermouth, Wales at 176 Park Cottage, living with his sister Elizabeth "Clement" who is widowed. Unfortunately, Chuck is Single! But at least I found him. They are living around the corner from Joseph Hayward and wife Charlotte Tregaskus.

Seems a lot of the "kids" went over to Wales...finding a bunch hanging out.

Problem solved...now on to the next one!!

Charles Hayward b1825

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, October 10, 2013, 22:13 (3822 days ago) @ alby65

Hi Allison, lets hope the Archives can help further re your John, glad you've still had some lateral success today.
Please could you clarify where Charles fits into things, I don't recall him being mentioned before altho could of course be mistaken ?. Am I correct thinking this is his Baptism ?

Record_ID: 143420
Entry_Number: 260
Year: 1825
Month: Aug
Day: 21
Child_Forenames: Charles
Fathers_Forenames: Charles
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Arlingham
Officiating_Minister: John Sayer
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P18 IN 1/7
Page_Number: 33
Parish_Chapel: Arlingham

Many thanks.

Charles Hayward b1825

by alby65 @, Friday, October 11, 2013, 00:58 (3822 days ago) @ Jefff

Yes, that is the Charles I was referring to. His parents were Charles & Mary Knight. Last I had was in 1851 on Church Street and for the longest time couldn't find him. Today I started hunting around for others and found him with his sister in Wales. There are couple more of the tribe that went there from Arlingham as well . Even found the first (so far) Hayward to venture to the United States!

Let me know if I should write more or post information somewhere for any one else looking.

Allison

Charles Hayward b1825; Haywards in 1871 Arlingham Census

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, October 11, 2013, 02:19 (3822 days ago) @ alby65

Cheers Allison,
I asked as while searching the 1870s Directories for John Hayward, I recall also spotting a Charles Hayward, a shopkeeper/grocer in Flaxley so not too far from Newnham etc. However searching him on LDS/FamilySearch I see that he was probably the different man albeit of same name and birthyear born at Littledean Hill.

HOWEVER, while on LDS I found this group which may possibly help you, ties in with the Directory entries posted earlier;

England and Wales Census, 1871
Name: Samuel Hayward
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1871
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Birthplace: Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Wheatenhurst
Sub-District: Frampton
Parish: Arlingham
County: Gloucestershire
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Self Samuel Hayward M 50 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Wife Betsey C Hayward F 46 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Son Robert Hayward M 21 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Son Freadrick Hayward M 19 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Son Lewis Hayward M 16 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Son Samuel Hayward M 14 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Daughter Ann Hayward F 9 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Son Francis Hayward M 5 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Father Samuel Hayward M 79 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Sister Mary Hayward F 37 Arlingham, Gloucestershire

HOWEVER, to my very great surprise I see there are literally dozens of "Haywards born Arlingham" on just the 1871 Census alone, many still living there in 1871; probably nothing new to you, please see this link.
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Ahayward~...

eg
Name: John Hayward
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1871
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Birthplace: Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Westbury On Severn
Sub-District: Newnham
Parish: Flaxley
County: Gloucestershire
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Self John Hayward M 29 Arlingham, Gloucestershire
Wife Ann Hayward F 31 Lydney, Gloucestershire
Son John W Hayward M 2 East Dean, Gloucestershire
Son Ernest H Hayward M 0 East Dean, Gloucestershire

-------------
Hope this is of some help.

===============

ARLINGHAM WASSAILING SONG

PS Have you seen this very interesting article ? It's about a more recent Arlingham-born Hayward and his actual rendition of a local wassailing song, great stuff !!
http://www.gloschristmas.com/songs-carols/the-singers/singers-d-h/lem-hayward/
http://www.gloschristmas.com/wassail/wassails-a-f/waysailing-bowl-arlingham/

HAYWARD Arlingham - Gloucestershire Christmas

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, October 11, 2013, 08:48 (3821 days ago) @ alby65

Arlingham Wassail Song - Gloucestershire Christmas - recorded in 1977 and sung by 76 year old Lem HAYWARD, Arlingham.

Shows the Gloucesteshire accent off well. - I can hear the song - hopefully other people's internet will let them do the same.

http://www.gloschristmas.com/wassails/a-f/waysailing-bowl-arlingham/

--

According to the website

Lemuel Ewart HAYWARD age 33 married Elizabeth Cave AYLAND - 30 December 1931 - Arlingham (think HAYWARD/AYLAND are in your tree)

1911 Census, Overton, Arlingham Saul, Nr Stonehouse

HAYWARD

Edwin - 65 - married 14 years - 1 child born alive, one living, Boot and Shoe Maker, born Sandhurst, Glos
Martha - 51 - work at home - born Arlingham, Glos
Lemuel (Samuel on Ancestry) - Ewart - 8 - Scholar, born Everton, Arlingham
Charles BRAINWARING? - Lodger - 55 Single, Game Keeper retired, born Arlingham

---------

http://www.mandatrix.org.uk/family/fh_idx/sur.htm

---------

Fod Records - Glos. Marriage Allegations 1747-1837

11 October 1836 - Samuel HAYWARD - Widower, Arlingham/Elizabeth AYLAND - buy Licence.

Other Gloucestershire Songs Inc Christmas on the above website....

Merry Christmas!!

by alby65 @, Friday, October 11, 2013, 13:41 (3821 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Way too many Hayward's in Arlingham and with the same names!! I saw the Samuel & Betsy and trying to figure out if they fit in or not.

Love the Christmas song...hopefully he is in our family; a witch, a musician...what else will we find!

Again, thank you all...amazing how much work you do for others!!

Allison

by alby65 @, Friday, October 11, 2013, 14:20 (3821 days ago) @ alby65

Just to start my morning off....

Here's a strange one. John Hayward born 1828ish in Arlingham son to Charles Hayward & Mary Knight. Last I had him was in Oystermouth, Wales with sister Elizabeth & husband William Clement in 1851....than I found this:

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985 - about Jno Hayward
Name: Jno Hayward
Death Place: Williamstown, Victoria
Father's Name: Hayward Chas
Mother's Name: Mary Knight

Registration Year: 1903

Registration Place: Victoria

Registration number: 15591

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1830

So how many John Hayward's born to Charles & Mary Knight are there? Or is this my John?!!?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, October 11, 2013, 15:02 (3821 days ago) @ alby65

Hi Allison,
"apologies" for mentioning Christmas, following her comment above I now have visions of MPG battling the shopping hordes instead of enjoying small-ball chasing ; eitherway it certainly feels cold enough here of a sudden to be late December, but as we've not yet had Bonfire Night then Christmas is months away (I wish...).
So for the time being, thanks for the kind wishes MPG but "bah humbug" ;-)
It IS a great song tho' and yes a nice Gloster accent, I do hope Lem turns out to be one of yours Ally, that recording's a little gem.

-------

Personally I struggle to imagine there being two Charles Haywards b1828ish having the exact same parents names. Then again until last night I thought Arlingham a small hamlet and Hayward a fairly unusual name, which both prove what little I know !
So yes on the face of it I think he is your Charles. However we need more knowledge of his whereabouts and background occupation, a miner perhaps or a farmer if stayed in Arlingham ??.

Please Ally remind me where you are in the world, USA I think ?, and how/why your family got there from the Forest ?.

I see Williamstown Victoria, now a suburb of Melbourne, grew substantially during the 1850s Gold rush including an influx of miners from "Cornwall & California" = ??, the Forest too gained some Cornish miners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamstown,_Victoria#Victorian_gold_rush_and_wheat_boom

by alby65 @, Friday, October 11, 2013, 18:44 (3821 days ago) @ Jefff

Can't even begin to think of Christmas...we are planning Halloween and Thanksgiving (with a ton of birthdays in the middle of that)! I'm from New Jersey, USA!, born and bred! My husband is the Hayward born in Birmingham (his mother and brother and his one of his sons still live there).

John Hayward 1761 who married Elizabeth Rowles are the parents of
Charles Hayward 1796 who married Mary Knight are the parents of
William Hayward 1829 who married Mary Weston are the parents of
Joseph Hayward 1864 who married Emma Healy are the parents of
Joseph Hayward 1895 who married Florence French are the parents of
John Hayward who married Joan Bullock are the parents of

Mark Hayward - my husband!

He goes back to England quite often to visit with family and we snuck out with him last year to do some research. Now that I know more than I did than I plan on going back in either January or February to strictly do research (also will hop on over to Ireland where my family is from). Last visit we had the entire Hayward Clan and though we did wonder through some cemeteries (found Ellen "the witch" gravestone) it wasn't easy to really concentrate and take the time needed when you have 7 other people wanting to "eat"!!! So next trip I am solo and trying to get everything organized before I head out.

Allison

HAYWARD Arlingham

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, October 11, 2013, 19:09 (3821 days ago) @ alby65

Thanks a lot for that Allison, I thought your posted hinted of across the pond but wasn't sure as you post at all times thro the day, but no California miners then ? Your history is very interesting but more importantly easier for us to know how/where to try & help rather than hnider/sidetrack you from a Dean viewpoint.

So, re the Williamstown Victoria Australia reference, have you any ideas if thats a runner for your Charles ?.

Are there any more outstanding queries closer to the Dean ?

HAYWARD Arlingham

by alby65 @, Saturday, October 12, 2013, 14:07 (3820 days ago) @ Jefff

No California miners...yet! Though my stepson, a Hayward, just left New Jersey to head to California...wants to be a film director!

Will check out the Australia connection.

As for the Dean connections, I have lots to check out still and will let you know if I need help (which I'm sure I will).

Again, can't thank you all enough....I do so appreciate it!

Allison

HAYWARD Arlingham

by alby65 @, Saturday, October 12, 2013, 17:26 (3820 days ago) @ alby65

Just an FYI on John Hayward. Got the marriage certificate to Elizabeth Rendall (her parents are John and Elizabeth King). John's parents are Charles and Mary ?arhe or ?arke....not my John!

Moving back to Arlingham for now to work on others!!

HAYWARD Arlingham

by alby65 @, Sunday, October 13, 2013, 18:25 (3819 days ago) @ alby65

Hopefully I didn't ask this one before (I read thru the posts and don't see it).

Question of the day!!

Charles Edward William Hayward, born 1859 in Arlingham to parents William Hayward born 1829 and Mary Weston born 1835.

1861 - High Street, Arlingham with parents and siblings
1871 - No Charles but his parents & siblings are there on Warth Farm

Can't seem to find him again...

HAYWARD Arlingham

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Sunday, October 13, 2013, 19:30 (3819 days ago) @ alby65

This looks like him.

1861 England Census
Parish of Arlingham
High St
RG9/1770; Folio: 20; Page:1

William H Hayward - Head - Mar - 27 - Brick Maker - Gloucestershire, Arlingham
Mary H Hayward - Wife - 25 - Gloucestershire, Gloster
Charles E W Hayward - Son - 2 - Gloucestershire, Arlingham
Ellen Hayward - Sister - Un - 20 - Dressmaker - Gloucestershire, Arlingham
Walter C Hayward - Nephew - 3 - Gloucestershire, Arlingham

1871 England Census
Civil Parish of Arlingham
RG10/2626; Folio: 22; Page: 6

William Hayward - Head - Mar - 39 - Brick Maker - Arlingham, Glostershire
Mary H Hayward - Wife - Mar - 36 - Gloucester, Glostershire
Edward C Hayward- Son - 11 - Scholar - Arlingham, Glostershire
Edith C Hayward - Daughter - 9 - Scholar - Arlingham, Glostershire
Joseph Hayward - Son - 6 - Scholar - Arlingham, Glostershire
Mary A Hayward - Daughter - 3 - Scholar - Arlingham, Glostershire
Frederick W Hayward - Son - 6 Mon - Arlingham, Glostershire

1881 England Census
RG11/2540; Folio: 28; Page: 13

William Hayward - Head - Mar - Labourer - Arlingham, Glorshire
Mary Hayward - Wife - Mar - 46 - Arlingham, Glorshire
Edward Hayward - Son - Unm - 21 - Waterman - Arlingham, Glorshire
Annie Hayward - Dau - 14 - Scholar - Arlingham, Glorshire
Julia Hayward - Dau - 7 - Scholar - Arlingham, Glorshire
Olive Hayward - Dau - 1 - Arlingham, Glorshire
Frederick Hayward - Son - 10 - Scholar - Arlingham, Glorshire

1891 England Census
High St
RG12/2020; Folio: 4; Page: 1

William Hayward - Head - M - 59 - Fisherman - Glos, Arlingham
Mary Hayward - Wife - M - 56 - Gloucester
Edward Hayward - Son - S - 30 - Farm Laborer - Glos, Arlingham
Frederick Hayward - Son - S - 19 - Farm Laborer - Glos, Arlingham
Gulia [sic] Hayward - Daur - S - 17 - General Servant (Domestic) - Glos, Arlingham
Olive Hayward - Daur - 10 - Scholar - Glos, Arlingham

1901 England Census
High Street
Arlingham

Mary Hayward - Head - Wid - 66 - Glos, Arlingham
Edward Hayward - Son - S - 40 - General Farm Labourer - Glos, Arlingham
Frederick Hayward - Son - S - 30 - General Farm Labourer - Glos, Arlingham
Olive Hayward - Daughter - S - 20 - Assistant School Teacher - Glos, Arlingham

1911 England Census
RG14; Piece; 15335; Schedule Number: 5
Stonehouse
Arlingham
Glos

Mary Hayward - Head - 78 - Widow - 55/8/6/2 - Arlingham
Edward Hayward - Son - 51 - Single - Fisherman - Arlingham
Frederick Hayward - Son - 39 - Single - Farm Labourer - Arlingham
Gilbert Wright - Son in Law - 34 - Married - Farm Labourer - Arlingham
Olive Wright - Daughter - 30 - Married - 5/1/1/0 - Farm Labourer - Arlingham
Gilbert Wright Jun - Grandson - 2 - Arlingham

Possible Death:

Source: FreeBMD
Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Mar 1931 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hayward Edward 71 Gloucester 6a 486

HAYWARD Arlingham

by alby65 @, Sunday, October 13, 2013, 19:37 (3819 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

So you think Charles & Edward are the same person? And he just went by Edward after awhile?

HAYWARD Arlingham

by alby65 @, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 18:26 (3806 days ago) @ alby65

I think Charles did go by Edward!

Also, in the 1911 census it says Mary Weston Hayward had 8 children. I only have 7. I did find in familysearch to Edith Caroline's one christened 1857 and the other 1865. Wonder if that is the missing child and they jus used the name again?!?!

HAYWARD Arlingham

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 19:42 (3806 days ago) @ alby65

The 1911 Census should say if any of those 8 children were now dead.
I presume it shows at least one dead, as you say the first Edith.
You're correct in thinking the second name was used again "in memory" of the first one, this was quite common practice in the days of high child mortality rates. Or maybe those names were repeated as they had appeared earlier within the family line eg Mary's mother etc ? (sorry, I havent checked the rest of this thread).

Anyhow, from this FoD sites PRs we can find:

Record_ID: 144232
Entry_Number: 263
Year: 1857
Month: Dec
Day: 27
Child_Forenames: Edith Caroline
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Surname:
Officiating_Minister: Tho[ma]s H. Ravenhill Vicar
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P18 IN 1/8
Page_Number: 33

But sadly

Record_ID: 262674
Entry_Number: 608
Year: 1858
Month: Jun
Day: 13
Surname: HAYWARD
Forenames: Edith Caroline
Age_at_death: 15 months
Officiating_Minister: Tho[ma]s V Ravenshill Vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P18 IN 1/13
Page_No: 76

Hence

Record_ID: 144381
Entry_Number: 412
Year: 1865
Month: Aug
Day: 20
Child_Forenames: Edith Caroline
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Surname:
Officiating_Minister: M.F.St.John Off:Min:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P18 IN 1/8
Page_Number: 52

Hopefully these events are reflected within the 1861 etc Census for this household.

Also, just in case the above Baptisms were not near to the actual births, worth crosschecking elsewhere.

From GlosBMD:

Birth Details
Child Surname Child Forename Father Surname Mother Surname Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
HAYWARD Edith Caroline HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1857 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 6 495

Death Details
Surname Given Names Age Year Died District Register Entry
HAYWARD Edith Caroline 15m 1858 Gloucester, Frampton 4 477

Birth Details
Child Surname Child Forename Father Surname Mother Surname Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
HAYWARD Edith Caroline HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1861 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 8 128

Marriage Details
Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
PEEL John William HAYWARD Edith Caroline Gloucester Gloucester St Catherine 1888 27 No 2 177
http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/SimpleSearch.aspx

And to confirm a few more details of these Registrations, from FreeBMD:

----------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1857 (>99%)
Hayward Edith Caroline Wheatenhurst 6a 253

Births Dec 1861 (>99%)
Hayward Edith Caroline Wheatenhurst 6a 258

============================

Marriages Sep 1888 (>99%)
Hayward Edith Caroline Gloucester 6a 464
Peel John William Gloucester 6a 464

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

HAYWARD Arlingham

by alby65 @, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 23:29 (3806 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you so much. In the 1911 Census it says 2 dead; trying to figure out who else past away. Need to sit and concentrate...will let you know what I find.

HAYWARD Arlingham

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, October 27, 2013, 00:12 (3806 days ago) @ alby65

You're welcome.
This MAY help you sort em out. You can use GlosBMD to list all(hopefully) the BIRTHS registered to Hayward / Weston (I think this is right judging from Edith Carolines record). see http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/BirthSearch.aspx

The search results are as follows, hopefully they all tie in with your records and are the correct family group, I think so as all in correct locality ?.

"Criteria entered: Surname: hayward, Maiden name: weston,

Number of entries matching criteria entered: 8

HAYWARD Edith Caroline HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1857 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 6 495
HAYWARD Charles Edward William HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1859 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 7 284
HAYWARD Edith Caroline HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1861 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 8 128
HAYWARD Joseph HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1864 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 9 16
HAYWARD Mary Ann Weston HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1867 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 9 370
HAYWARD Frederick William HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1870 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 10 325
HAYWARD Julia Hallier HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1874 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 11 276
HAYWARD Olive HAYWARD HAYWARD WESTON 1880 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 13 48"

Perhaps one of these is new to you, maybe not on a Census form as too short-lived ?

If still nothing obvious, you can repeat the search for Deaths, looking thro the list of those who died "young" may help ?. As this is searching ALL the Haywards(so all parents not just yours) throughout the "Gloucester" District this gives a much larger list, but clicking on the top of any column on this site will help sort them out. Click "District" and it groups them together, luckily "Frampton" is at the top, giving these names:

Surname Given Names Age Year Died District Register Entry
HAYWARD Alfred 11m 1863 Gloucester, Frampton 5 400
HAYWARD Alfred 4 1859 Gloucester, Frampton 5 59
HAYWARD Amelia 2 1863 Gloucester, Frampton 5 402
HAYWARD Arthur 8m 1868 Gloucester, Frampton 6 280
HAYWARD Charles 51 1843 Gloucester, Frampton 2 87
HAYWARD Drinkwater Scott 79 1848 Gloucester, Frampton 3 72
HAYWARD Edith Caroline 15m 1858 Gloucester, Frampton 4 477
HAYWARD Edward Jacob 29 1850 Gloucester, Frampton 3 257
HAYWARD Eliza 3w 1863 Gloucester, Frampton 5 409
HAYWARD Elizabeth 73 1868 Gloucester, Frampton 6 274
HAYWARD Elizabeth 69 1854 Gloucester, Frampton 4 130
HAYWARD Fanny 81 1859 Gloucester, Frampton 5 90
HAYWARD Female 2w 1861 Gloucester, Frampton 5 226
HAYWARD George 77 1870 Gloucester, Frampton 6 464
HAYWARD James 78 1850 Gloucester, Frampton 3 287
HAYWARD John 51 1868 Gloucester, Frampton 6 299
HAYWARD John 92 1852 Gloucester, Frampton 3 452
HAYWARD Joseph 79 1855 Gloucester, Frampton 4 206
HAYWARD Maria 43 1838 Gloucester, Frampton 1 60
HAYWARD Martha 2 1857 Gloucester, Frampton 4 397
HAYWARD Mary 63 1859 Gloucester, Frampton 5 82
HAYWARD Mary 23 1857 Gloucester, Frampton 4 414
HAYWARD Nathaniel 73 1837 Gloucester, Frampton 1 27
HAYWARD Richard 1 1841 Gloucester, Frampton 1 357
HAYWARD Robert 1 1842 Gloucester, Frampton 1 495
HAYWARD Samuel 6m 1845 Gloucester, Frampton 2 257
HAYWARD Sarah 23 1846 Gloucester, Frampton 2 421
HAYWARD Susan Elizabeth 2 1870 Gloucester, Frampton 6 429
HAYWARD Walter John 11m 1870 Gloucester, Frampton 6 475
HAYWARD William 67 1861 Gloucester, Frampton 5 287
HAYWARD William 78 1855 Gloucester, Frampton 4 267

HOWEVER sadly I cannot see any of the above Hayward/Weston Births here apart from Edith. This may be because the site's only listing Deaths upto 1872, long before the 1911 Census. In this case it may be easier and wiser to use the FreeBMD site to give a similar easily-read list right up until 1911 (unlike GlosBMD that site lists Deaths as recent as the 1960s or so).
Or maybe the name we're searching died in another District so must check them all.

Thinking about it, its probably far quicker to individually search the Death of each of the eight births listed earlier, probably FreeBMD is easier.

I hope this helps if only a little, good luck !

HAYWARD Arlingham

by alby65 @, Monday, October 28, 2013, 13:40 (3804 days ago) @ Jefff

This helps tremendously thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

HAYWARD Arlingham

by alby65 @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 17:33 (3733 days ago) @ alby65

Searching yet another Hayward...

Amos Hayward, born 1910 in Arlingham, England to parents George Henry Hayward born 1867 in Arlingham. Mother Mary ?. Last known address: High Street, Arlingham Nr Stone House, Gloucestershire.

Siblings include: George Henry, Charles, Mary Ann, Louisa, Batie, Rose and Lily.

Any help is always appreciated!

Amos HAYWARD b1910 Arlingham

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 17:52 (3733 days ago) @ alby65

Hi Alby,
seems you've already found quite a bit abt him, but here goes..

Searching GlosBMD gives at least three Amos Haywards' thro the years, including;

Birth Details
HAYWARD Amos Lionel HAYWARD HAYWARD GLADWIN 1910 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 18 278

Marriage Details
Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
HAYWARD Amos Lionel LORD Florence Gertrude Gloucester Gloucester Register Office 1935 45 201
http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/SimpleSearch.aspx

Sadly I cannot find anymore traces of Amos or Florence in FoD PRs or GlosBMD.

So, searching FreeBMD adds a little, namely the above Marriage is in the June Qtr;

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Marriages Jun 1935 (>99%)
Hayward Amos L Lord Gloucester 6a 899
LORD Florence G Hayward Gloucester 6a 899

FreeBMD also gives Florence's birth;

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Births Mar 1913 (>99%)
Lord Florence G Greenway Wheatenhurst 6a 598

I suspect this is her parent's marriage, again from GlosBMD;

LORD Thomas GREENWAY Alice Maud Gloucester Arlingham St Mary the Virgin 1910 1 No 1 183

Which is within this FoD site's PRs;

Record_ID: 109802
Entry_Number:
Year: 1910
Month: Mar
Day: 27
Grooms_Surname: LORD
Grooms_Forenames: Thomas
Grooms_Age: 27
Groom_Condition: bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: labourer
Grooms_Residence: Eastington
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: LORD
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: George
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: labourer
Brides_Surname: GREENWAY
Brides_Forenames: Alice Maud
Brides_Age: 21
Brides_Condition: spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Arlingham
Brides_Fathers_Surname: GREENWAY
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: Eliazer
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: labourer
Licence_or_Banns: banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Sidney Thomas Smith
Witness_2: Florence Henrietta Lord
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Henry Bevis vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P18 IN 1/11
Page_Number: 92
Soundex_Groom: L630
Soundex_Bride: G650

====================================

Back to Amos' aforementioned baptism record;

Searching the highly recommended, very userfriendly and completely free GlosBMD site - this time for a Hayward/Gladwin marriage, takes us nicely back to Amos's parents' marriage;

Marriage Details
HAYWARD George Henry GLADWIN Mary Gloucester Arlingham St Mary the Virgin 1891 1 No 1 136

Which again maybe found in much greater detail within this FoD site's PRs;
Record_ID: 109756
Entry_Number:
Year: 1891
Month: Apr
Day: 12
Grooms_Surname: HAYWARD
Grooms_Forenames: George Henry
Grooms_Age: 24
Grooms_Occupation: waterman
Grooms_Residence: Arlingham
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: HAYWARD
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Henry
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: waterman
Brides_Surname: GLADWIN
Brides_Forenames: Mary
Brides_Age: 22
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Fathers_Surname: GLADWIN
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: William
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: labourer
Date_of_Banns:
Witness_1: Joseph Richard Ayland
Witness_2: Rosina Hayward
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Thos H Ravenhill vicar
Memoranda:
Notes:
Page_Number: 68
Soundex_Groom: H630
Soundex_Bride: G435

by alby65 @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 18:02 (3733 days ago) @ Jefff

Thanks so much. I have another question..I hate to keep asking, but everyone here seems to know more than I ever do!!

Richard Hayward born 1845 in Arlingham (parents Samuel & Elizabeth Ayland) married Augusta Stevens in 1868 (she was born in Saul in 1847). I keep getting pop-ups on Ancestry linking Richard to a wife of Charlotte Cross. I think Augusta died in 1889 which than I can see he would marry Charloette...any way to verify Augusta's death?

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 18:29 (3733 days ago) @ alby65

Source: FreeBMD.

Deaths Dec 1889

Hayward Augusta 44 Wheatenhurst 6a 191

Augusta Stevens/Stephens

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 18:39 (3733 days ago) @ alby65

Hi again,
I certainly don't know more than you do, I just methodically work the available free websites(FreeBMD, GlosBMD and of course this FoD one), then perhaps Family Search/LDS, and see what turns up. Failing that I use Ancestry but only as a last resort and am not a subscriber.

Despite searching the above sites I'm not getting much luck so far despite trying both spellings, I do see Augusta was clearly a very popular Stevens/Stephens name !

As far as your Augusta goes I can only find what you know, which handily confirms she had no middle names;

Marriage Details
HAYWARD Richard STEVENS Augusta Gloucester Arlingham St Mary the Virgin 1868 1 No 1 89

Record_ID: 109709
Entry_Number:
Year: 1868
Month: Jun
Day: 21
Grooms_Surname: HAYWARD
Grooms_Forenames: Richard
Grooms_Age: 23
Grooms_Occupation: fisherman
Grooms_Residence: Arlingham
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: HAYWARD
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Samuel
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: fisherman
Brides_Surname: STEVENS
Brides_Forenames: Augusta
Brides_Age: 22
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Fathers_Surname: STEVENS
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: George
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: waterman
Date_of_Banns:
Witness_1: Elizabeth Stevens
Witness_2: Henry Hayward
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Fred G Scrivener cur
Memoranda:
Notes:
Page_Number: 45
Soundex_Groom: H630
Soundex_Bride: S315

So far I cannot find any relevant Burials for Augusta Hayward, probably cos like a twit I started searching under the Stevens surname, duh !
The best source for Death Records in our area is FreeBMD, at least up until the 1960s or so - after that it's Ancestry Death Index etc.

I see Paul has found what looks very much like her Death Record while I've been floundering elsewehere, thanks good sir !

Out of curiosity Alby, have you found Richard in the 1891 Census ?. Does this, or any other, suggest he's widowed. This might give further credence.

------------

Searching Richard on GlosBMD gives this possible marriage to Charlotte, and in about the right timeframe too wrt Augusta's passing a few years prior;

Marriage Details
HAYWARD Richard GRIFFIN Charlotte Gloucester Gloucester St Mark 1890 31 No 5 203
HAYWARD Richard CROSS Charlotte Gloucester Gloucester St Mark 1890 31 No 5 203

Looking at GlosBMD there are quite a few Charlotte Cross & Charlotte Griffins in those times, many married more than once, so a tricky line to untangle..

Augusta Stevens/Stephens

by alby65 @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 19:33 (3733 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you all yet again! I will do more searching before I ask questions so not to waste anyone's time.

As to Richard & Augusta. This is what I know:

1871: Richard & Augusta at Warth Farm as a fisherman.

1881: No Richard, but Augusta with daughter Ellen and her mother Louisa, at 65 Cottage, says Mariner's Wife.

1889: Death of an Augusta Hayward????

1891: Found a Ricahrd, fisherman, 132 Farmilode passage with a wife Charlotte and brother-in-law ? Griffin

Not sure if that is the same Richard of if that is Augusta's death.

Augusta Stevens/Stephens

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 20:07 (3733 days ago) @ alby65

Hi,
no not time wasted here, a pleasant distraction from the chores, but sometimes it can be more rewarding to find it oneself.

Your Census records seem to fit very nicely with this thread's findings.
Sorry, not sure if my last post was clear, the GlosBMD Marriage record I quoted for Richard in 1890 shows that he married Charlotte CROSS whose maiden name was Griffin (you may want to look for her husband, was she widowed or ?).
So again this fits your 1891 Census return very nicely wrt to RICHARD'S! brother-in-law being a Griffin !.

Judging by your comments I suspect Richard is a common Hayward name locally ?. If so then to be sure as to who's-who then it's a case of researching all the other permutations, tying up their BMDs, process of elimination etc. At least that way you may find other members/branches of the your "main" family.

HTH

UPDATED 9 Jan !
Thank Heaven for MPG so kindly correcting my dim mixup on this post- sorry to all for getting Charlotte's names Cross-ed, duh !!

Augusta Stevens/Stephens

by alby65 @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 21:40 (3733 days ago) @ Jefff

Can't seem to verify the marriage of Cross/Griffin. Will keep trying though. Can't find Augusta anywhere else so I guess that was her death in 1889.

Thanks everyone, as always you help so much I do appreciate it!!

Alby

Frederick Luke CROSS/GRIFFIN/HART

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 17:23 (3732 days ago) @ alby65

Gloucestershirebdm

Marriage at St Mark's Gloucester 1890

Groom Surname: HAYWARD
Groom Forename: Richard

Bride Surname: CROSS - also listed as Bride Surname: GRIFFIN
Bride Forename: Charlotte

District: Gloucester
Parish: Gloucester
Building St Mark
Year: 1890
Register: 31 No 5
Entry 203

On the 1891 census, Richard HAYWARD's brother in law's name is Elijah age 47

1881 Census, Moreton Valance Civil Parish

Frederick CROSS - 36 waterman born Saul
Charlotte CROSS - 28 - born Saul

-

England & Wales marriage Index

Frederick Luke CROSS

Date of Registration: A/M/J Qtr 1874

Registration District: Wheatenhurst

Inferred County: Gloucestershire

Volume Number: 6a

Page Number: 569

married: Charlotte GRIFFEN

---

Fod Records

Baptism Westbury on Severn - 23 May 1841

Frederick Luke CROSS

father: Luke

mother: Sarah

1841 Census, Glos Westbury on Severn

CROSS

Luke - 25 - Waterman
Sarah - 25
Sarah Ann - 4
Luke - 2 months

Gloucestershire Marriage CD

Luke CROSS married Sarah HART - 9 January 1837 by banns at Saul

Gloucestershire Baptism CD - Baptism at Moreton Valance - 14 May 1837

Sarah Ann CROSS - parents Luke (waterman) & Sarah - residence, Epney

Frederick Luke CROSS/GRIFFIN/HART

by alby65 @, Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 21:02 (3732 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Great! Thank you ever so much! I do appreciate it!

Charlotte CROSS nee GRIFFIN born Saul, Frampton, 1851

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, January 09, 2014, 00:12 (3732 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks M for spotting & correcting my foolish mistake wrt Charlotte's maiden name.
Don't know what I was thinking there.
Apologies to all, have now amended my earlier post.

--------------------------------------------------------

I see from 1881 Census Charlotte was aged 28, so born Saul abt 1853.

I think this is her Baptism, from GlosBMD;

Birth Details
GRIFFIN Charlotte GRIFFIN GRIFFIN JACKSON 1851 Gloucester Gloucester, Frampton 5 170

(Looks like her 1881 Census entry was another example of not wanting to be over 30yrs, and why not)

FreeBMD adds the June qtr;

Births Jun 1851 (>99%)
---------------------------------------------------------
Griffin Charlotte Wheatenhurst 11 522

============

I think this may possibly be her parent's marriage, but more proof needed, from FreeBMD;

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1851 (>99%)
Andrews William Cirencester 11 401
Butt Elizabeth Cirencester 11 401
Gibbons Alfred Cirencester 11 401
Griffin Luke Cirencester 11 401
HYATT Ellen Cirencester 11 401
Jackson Sarah Cirencester 11 401

==========

Hoping this helps, rather than hinders ! ;-)

Charlotte GRIFFIN/William GRIFFIN/Charlotte JACKSON

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, January 09, 2014, 09:08 (3731 days ago) @ Jefff

Charlotte's parents are on the 1841 census for Saul -

William GRIFFIN married Charlotte JACKSON at Fretherne- 30 April 1832 (Gloucestershire Marriage Index CD)

? CHURCH OF LATTER DAY SAINTS/Baptism Index CD

Birth at Frampton on Severn - 22 April 1810 - William GRIFFIN, parents George (labourer) & Nancy

Gloucestershire Marriage Index: George GRIFFIN married Nancy BOICE at Frampton on Severn 12 October 1807

1841 Census, Frampton on Severn
Frampton Street

George GRIFFIN 45 - labourer, all born in County
Nancy - 55
Hannah - 20

--

1851 Census, Frampton Severn

(?might be the same couple ) Church Court, which is listed next to Frampton Street

George GRIFFIN - 62 - born Frampton
Ann - 75 - Nurse, born Quedgley

Freebmd has a death of a Nancy GRIFFIN - J/A/S Qtr 1861 District: Wheatenhurst, which includes Frampton

----

1841 Census, Saul

William GRIFFIN - 30 Waterman
Charlotte - 28
George - 8 (George christened 3 May 1833 - parents William, Waterman and Charlotte)
Louisa - 5 (Luesa - 12 July 1835)
Samuel - 3
Ann - 11 months

on the 1851 census - the ages are like this

GRIFFIN

Charlote - 24
George - 18
Lucasa - 16
Samuel - 14
Elizah - 5
William - 2

on the 1861 census we have at Saul

GRIFFIN

Charlote - 48 - Mariner or Bargeman's wife - born Moreton Valance
George - 27
Hannah - 18
William - 12
Charlote - 10
Amos - 6

(Charlotte GRIFFIN is on the 1871 census at Saul age 19 Housekeeper, working for William PURCELL (Master Mariner) & family

1871 Census, Saul

Fish House

//
Charlotte GRIFFIN - 56 - wife, born Moreton Valance
Hannah SIMS (LIME) - mother-in-law W age 90 pauper - born Whitminster
//

// means the same household

Public Members Tree on Ancestry, list George GRIFFIN's wife as Charlotte SIMS

---

GlosBDM

Griffin - mother's maiden name JACKSON

Ann - 1840 - All Gloucester Frampton
Charlotte - 1851
Elijah - 1845
Hannah - 1842
Samuel - 1838
William - 1848

------

On the 1881 census at Saul, Passage Road

GRIFFIN

William - 70 - Mariner born Frampton on Severn
Charlotte - 68 - born Saul
Elijah - 36 (the brother-in-law later census)
Amos - 26

RSS Feed of thread