PARENTS OF ELIZABETH COWMEADOW 1754 (General)

by liverpool5 @, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 10:52 (3757 days ago)

I believe I am descended from Elizabeth Cowmeadow born 1754. Her baptism gives her parents as Elly and Elizabeth. It is her parents that I am enquiring about as I can find no other trace of Elly and Elizabeth having been born, married or died. Indeed Elizabeth appears to be their only child. I am wondering if a kind soul out there can shed any light on my query? Thank you.

PARENTS OF ELIZABETH COWMEADOW 1754

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 14:02 (3757 days ago) @ liverpool5

????- Elijah, Elly, Alli (Alexander)

? You could ask for the original record to be re-checked just in case the christian name reads any differently ?? although the Church of Latter Day Saints say Elly - or even outside chance Elly could be Alli/Ally ???. Or even more questionable is Elizabeth (mother) the same person as Mary - as mistakes are made in entries (this has been raised before on this forum) - and the child's name was written down as the mother's name as well. This is often discussed on various forums. i.e

'Note that in the baptism entries the mother's name is given as Ann the same as the child's name. This is one of the common errors made by Parish Clerks as they fill in the register and accidentally repeat the child's name instead of writing the correct name of the respective parent'

----

?Assume your Elizabeth COWMEADOW married later in Newent - whom did she marry ? Thomas CHILD in 1789 ???? childrens' names ???

---

Looking at COWMEADOW family groups in Newent-

Alexander/Allixander/Alixander & Mary COWMEADOW - are baptising children in Newent from 1746 onwards

Mary - 4 October 1746 - died 23 October 1746 (Alexander & Mary)
John - 2 February 1747 (Alexander & Mary)
Thomas - 1 June 1750 (Alexander & Mary)
?? Elizabeth - 17 April 1754 - Elly & Elizabeth
Mary - 31 March 1756 (Alexander & Mary)
Allixander - 7 February 1759 (Allixander & Mary)
William - 20 November 1761 (Alixander & Mary)

As this is a fairly uncommon Christian Name - do wonder whether he was the child of William & Ruth COWMEADOW born Aston Ingham - in 1718.

William & Ruth had 3 other children born at Aston Ingham - Elizabeth 1712, William 1714, John 1717. Ruth COWMEADOW is buried at Aston Ingham in 1725.

--

An Alexander COWMEADOW married a Mary BRADFORD - at Newent - 26 December 1745.

On downloads - for Bigland Transcripts for Newent - it does list

Burial of Alexander COWMEADOW - 12 August 1762 aged 44 - which could give a birth date of around 1718

There are a couple of William COWMEADOW deaths in Newent of a William - 5 April 1741 and 8 August 1747.

Looking at Gloucestershire Genealogical Database - there are a couple of William COWMEADOW Wills - William 1774 and William 1783 - one a Blacksmith and the other an Apprentice. The Cowmeadows appear to be long-standing Blacksmiths in Newent.

Did this Cowmeadow branch originally come from Aston Ingham ???

by liverpool5 @, Monday, December 16, 2013, 15:41 (3755 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you again for your interest. Yes, the Elizabeth Cowmeadow I am interested in did marry Thomas Childe in 1789. They had three children: James in 1791 (died 1792), Esther in 1792 and Mary Anne in 1797. Both of them married considerably late in life, so I guess that explains why they only had three children.

I thought much along the same lines as yourself as regards Elly being from Elijah and also the possibility of Alexander being abbreviated to Ally. But as far as Elly, Eli or Elijah are concerned, can find nothing on him, even persued the Edward Cowmeadow whom I thought could have been mistranscribed from Eddy to Elly.

I shall soldier on - never give up.

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, December 16, 2013, 17:48 (3755 days ago) @ liverpool5

There are a number of Public Members Trees on Ancestry and they give the parents of Elizabeth COWMEADOW as William COWMEADOW and Elizabeth SOUTHWELL - and according to these trees- Elizabeth COWMEADOW married Thomas CHILDE her age is given as 17.

Siblings, William 1769, John 1770, Anne 1773, Thomas 1774, Mary 1775, James 1778, Robert 1779 and Richard 1781.

I do notice Elizabeth and Thomas married by Licence - and the Licence should give the ages of both the Groom and Bride - This Licence copy can be obtained from the GRO.

?

Fod Records - baptism at Newent - 18 March 1772

Betty COWMEADOW, parents William (occupation: Smith) & Elizabeth

---

??? Elizabeth CHILD's burial at Newent 16 March 1837 aged 83 years - residence, Culvert Street, which would give a birth year of around 1754.

----

In the Downloads is a copy of a Licence from my x Grandparents marriage in the year 1777 - this gives the age of my x Grandfather - age 22 and upwards and his occupation, status, plus my x Grandmother's age 21 years and upwards

-----

If you sent for the Wills of the two William COWMEADOW's from Newent (1774 and 1783) from the GRO this may shed light on Elizabeth Cowmeadow's background.

Looking at the Advance Search for witnesses:

Thos CHILD and Elizabeth COWMEADOW where witnesses at a wedding in Newent 16 October 1787 of Sarah SMART and Henry COOK.

by liverpool5 @, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 19:59 (3754 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I am indebted to you again - thank you.

I originally thought that Betty Cowmeadow daughter to William and Elizabeth was my Elizabeth until I recently revisited my tree and done a bit more digging and found the death that you mentioned, which put the whole matter into a different perspective. 1754 is far nearer to the birth of Thomas Childe of 1750, and as I mentioned previously, they only appear to have had three children which would probably be right, given the age they would have been at their marriage.

Thank you for telling me about being able to order a copy of the marriage licence from GRO. I didn't know you could do that. I will certainly look into doing so after Christmas.

Ordering BMD Certificates from GRO

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 00:27 (3753 days ago) @ liverpool5

This link will help you. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#FamilyH...

I could be wrong as have no actual experience, but I think I'm correct in saying this is still the least expensive method of buying them, or at least best "value", they've increased subtantially in recent years.
http://www.genealogy-guide.org.uk/marriages.html

I think you can pay others to do it for you but just get same service but at extra cost of course., heres a randomly selected example of what's on offer
http://www.ukcertificates.com/marriage-certificate/

I welcome anyone else's views/opinions based on actual experience as to the best method, please ?

Ordering BMD Certificates from GRO

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 00:46 (3753 days ago) @ Jefff

I've used the facility provided by many Local Authorities and the fee seems to be around £10 to £12 per certificate. It looks like GRO might be the best bet.

Acronyms-Beware of confusion

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 11:04 (3753 days ago) @ liverpool5

"Thank you for telling me about being able to order a copy of the marriage licence from GRO. I didn't know you could do that. I will certainly look into doing so after Christmas."

In MPG's last posting there is mention of the marriage licence and that it can be obtained from the GRO. I believe the GRO referred to is Gloucestershire Record Office rather than General Register Office.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 13:40 (3753 days ago) @ Paul Andrews

Hi Paul, thanks for clarifying that, being knew to this I hadn't realised that might be the thinking in this instance. Searching "Gloucestershire Record Office" online does produce some older, I think, links to this effect
eg http://www.ancestor-search.info/CRO-Gloucestershire.htm

It seems they now call themselves "Gloucestershire Archives". This is indeed an excellent resource both online and in-person, however I didn't realise they could also produce copies of Certificates.
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/index.aspx?articleid=107703&contactid=10...

Searching this site eventually produced this link wrt to ordering BMD Certificates, not overly well signposted in my opinion - I wonder if they're trying to deflect orders elsewhere ?. It states

"Ordering a certificate
Once you have the name(s), year, quarter and district you can order a copy of the certificate.
Gloucestershire certificates
o Certificates for events registered in Gloucestershire can be ordered through the
Gloucestershire Registration Service for a fee. You can order online at
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/certificates or you can download and complete
an order form and send it to Copy Certificate Request Service, Gloucestershire
Archives, Clarence Row, Alvin Street, Gloucester, GL1 3DW.
Certificates from England & Wales
o Certificates for anywhere in England and Wales can be ordered from the General
Register Office, PO Box 2, Southport, PR8 2JD (www.gro.gov.uk).

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=56528&p=0

The above Gloucestershire link states they supply certificates for £10 each within a 5 days, so much the same as the UK-wide General Record Office, I think.

Thanks again.

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 13:54 (3753 days ago) @ Jefff

Today on the General Register Office web site the price of certificates is £9:25 including postage, for the standard service and £23:40 for the priority service.

by liverpool5 @, Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 16:43 (3753 days ago) @ liverpool5

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY PLEA.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL

Cowmeadow Family of Newent

by anthonyworgan @, Monday, December 23, 2013, 10:19 (3748 days ago) @ liverpool5

Although I cannot add anything concerning the parents of Elizabeth Cowmeadow born 1754, I can give a background to the Cowmeadows of Newent, which might help in your future research.

The Alexander Cowmeadow 1718-1762 mentioned previously was a nephew of my ancestor Jane Cowmeadow 1686-1764 - she married 1722 by Licence at St Mary de Crypt, Glos Thomas Drew of Newent.

Jane was one of the four children of John Cowmeadow, a labourer of Newent 1661/2-1720 & Joane Fortey. John left a Will - dated lst July 1720 & proved 22 April 1721 (which I have transcribed & sent to this site) in which he mentions his four children: John bap 23 Feb 1679 Newent, William bap 1st Jan 1682/3 Newent, Thomas bap 9 June 1689 Newent (Executor of Will) & Jane bap 25 April 1686. Also mentioned are his four grandchildren - the children of his son William: Elizabeth bap 9 Sept 1712 Aston Ingham, William bap 29 Aug 1714 A.I., John bap 10 Feb 1716/17 & Alexander bap 30 Sept 1718 A.I. are not named probably because of their very young age & they were not given anything in the Will.

John Cowmeadow in turn was the son of Edward Cowmeadow bur lst March 1684/5 a labourer of Newent. He had married twice 1. Elianor bur 11 May 1682 Newent & then briefly 26 Jan 1683/4 Joane Mason at Newent.

Newent churchyard contains many really old tombstones, late 1600's & 1700's which amazingly are still decipherable - the inscriptions being so deep cut.
Jane Drew (nee Cowmeadow) has an extant tombstone which is listed on the Newent M.I's on this site, although after a visit myself this summer I was able to record more names & dates from this stone (on both sides).

by liverpool5 @, Monday, December 23, 2013, 14:03 (3748 days ago) @ anthonyworgan

Thank you for your post. I am sure the information contained within will prove invaluable to me at some point in my research. Thank you for your assistance.

by ctwew1, Sunday, October 25, 2020, 22:46 (1249 days ago) @ anthonyworgan

I'm also researching the Cowmeadows of Newent around the 1700s and I think William (bap 1st Jan 1682/3), brother of Jane Drew (nee Cowmeadow) may be my ancestor.

I'm particularly interested in any more information there may be on the children and grandchildren of John (1661/2-1720) especially his son and grandson William.

I've tried to find copies of the wills (John 1720, William 1774 and William 1783) which are mentioned in these posts, but haven't seen anything, so if someone could point me in the direction of these, I'd be very grateful.

by EPreni, Thursday, May 20, 2021, 09:27 (1043 days ago) @ ctwew1

Hi
I am researching the Cowmeadow family of Newent too, I believe I am descended from William bpt 1682.
I am most interested in Alexander 1759-1827 son of Alexander 1718 , grandson of the William we are both interested in.
I made enquiries with Gloucestershire Family History Society and they shared some research they had and pointed me towards Herefordshire Family History Society as they have many relevant records too.
Much of what they provided is covered in previous posts but they did share a couple of Wills; Thomas Cowmeadow 1780 (he mentions Eli Cowmeadow and others, leaves most of his goods to his nephew Thomas) and John Forty (father of Joan Forty who married John Cowmeadow, Thomas' brother)
Let me know how you are getting on, we can compare notes!

by liverpool5 @, Thursday, May 20, 2021, 19:33 (1043 days ago) @ EPreni

Hi,
I wish I could say that I have made great progress with the Cowmeadow family, but sadly not. I do think that my Elizabeth's father recorded as Elly on her baptism is probably Eli. Elizabeth would be the same generation as your Alexander (1759), so their father's sharing a generation too.

One thing I can say with certainty is that having recently done a DNA test, I think I recognise your name from my matches, so we are related! Hello Cousin. I am MC

by EPreni, Friday, May 28, 2021, 21:55 (1035 days ago) @ liverpool5

Hello,
I can't see you on ancestry, is that where the match is?
I have seen reference to Eli Cowmeadow in Brecon 1818, having occupation of a property in Glamorganshire Street, Brecon. Also Ely mentioned in a will from Thomas Cowmeadow 1780. I think we have siblings that we haven't connected yet. Maybe Alexander 1718-1762 is brother or cousin to Eli.

by anthonyworgan @, Sunday, August 28, 2022, 08:51 (578 days ago) @ anthonyworgan

While browsing on the Forum saw one of my old posts 'Cowmeadow Family of Newent' sent on December 23, 2013 & was delighted to see that it had received 2471 visits, so it makes it worthwhile to visit the Forum.

Jane Cowmeadow 1686-1764 was my 6 x gt grandmother, one of the 4 children of John Cowmeadow by his wife Joane Fortney - I have a private tree on Ancestry & have researched my Cowmeadow ancestors only as far as the brothers of Jane & their children & grandchildren.

by obscurasky @, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 10:43 (1038 days ago) @ liverpool5

Is there an historical connection between between the family and Cowmeadow Farm in English Bicknor?

RSS Feed of thread