Parentage of William Bullock Ballinger (Ballenger) born 1830 (Parish Records)

by allan_rhodes, West Sussex, Sunday, October 05, 2014, 14:23 (3462 days ago)

My Grandmother was Alice Gertrude Bullock (1893- 1986) her father was William Bullock Ballinger (1860 - 1938) His father William Bullock Ballinger (1830 - 1913) was the first in the line to carry both surnames of Bullock and Ballinger. From information to hand and research I've done it appears that his father was also William Bullock (no Ballinger). I have found a William Bullock who married Mary Anne Ballinger in 1833 who had a son William Bullock. I dont have much evidence however to ensure that William Bullock and William Bullock Ballinger are one and the same person and that his parentage was William Bullock and Mary Ann Ballinger as I note William Bullock senior was quite old at the time of William juniors birth. Does anyone have any material evidence linking the two. I note the Bullocks are and were a large family in Longhope and Blaisdon area and unravelling the family ties/ lines isn't easy. Can anyone help me please. - Allan

Parentage of William Bullock Ballinger (Ballenger) born 1830

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, October 05, 2014, 20:15 (3462 days ago) @ allan_rhodes

I assume you have this Census entry,

1841 Census, Longhope
William BULLOCK, 70, Stone Mason, Born in County
Mary Ann, 25, Born in County
William, 9, Born in County
John BALLENGER, 20, Labourer, Born in County

And then from this site,

Record_ID 35965
Entry_Number 401
Year 1830
Month Nov
Day 14
Parents_Surname BALLIGER
Child_Forenames William
Fathers_Forenames
Mothers_Forenames Mary Anne
Mothers_Surname
Residence Longhope
Occupation
Officiating_Minister Edm[un]d Probyn M.A. Vicar
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P206 IN 1/4
Page_Number 51
Parish_Chapel Longhope
Soundex B426

Perhaps William (born 1830) was the illegitimate son of Mary Ann BALLIGER (BALLENGER)and adopted the two names later. John BALLENGER could, I suppose, have been a brother. I suspect you are correct in the marriage you have found.

by allan_rhodes, West Sussex, Monday, October 06, 2014, 09:34 (3461 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Mike, many thanks for your help. Yes I and found William and Mary on the 1841 census as well as those leading up to their respective deaths. Appears that following the death of William Bullock Mary remarried William Sterrey (Sterry) in 1861. The christening details of William (which I hadn't been able to trace) are of great help and I am reasonably certain now that I'm on the right track.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, October 26, 2014, 19:53 (3441 days ago) @ allan_rhodes

Ever since I saw the original post I’ve had the nagging feeling that it was somehow related to my own family tree. It’s now dawned on me why this is.

Record_ID: 9650
Entry_Number: 173
Year: 1869
Month: May
Day: 6
Grooms_Surname: PARRY
Grooms_Forenames: William
Grooms_Age: 27
Groom_Condition: Batchelor
Grooms_Occupation: Mason
Grooms_Residence: Longhope
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Parry
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: James
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Mason
Brides_Surname: BULLOCK
Brides_Forenames: Mary Ann
Brides_Age: 20
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: n/s
Brides_Residence: Longhope
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Sterry
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: William
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Labourer
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: He signs she marks
Witness_1: Mark of James Bullock
Witness_2: Mark of Martha Bullock
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: F C Guise Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/7
Page_Number: 87
Parish_Chapel: Longhope

The bride, Mary Ann BULLOCK, must have been the daughter of William BULLOCK and Mary Ann BALLINGER. The groom must have been the son of the James PARRY who was probably the father of my ggrandmother, Eliza POYNER - c/f this previous thread.

http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=42902

It’s a small world.

James PARRY/Ann LUCY

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, October 27, 2014, 12:41 (3440 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

CLDS

James PARRY : father James PARRY

married

Ann LUCY : father: William LUCY

St Mary de Lobe - 28 April 1838

Fod Records

Christening at Blaisdon - 4 March 1821, James PARRY, parents James (Farmer) and Elizabeth

GlosBDM

Parry: mother's Maiden name LUCY

Mary - 1840 - Huntley
William - 1842 - Huntley
Ann - 1851 - Huntley
John - 1854 - Huntley
Jane - 1860 - Huntley

---

1841 Census, Westbury on Severn

BROWNING

Joseph - 40 - Shoe Maker. all born in County
Jane - 40
Mary - 4
Joseph - 2 (GlosBDM, mother's maiden name PARRY - District Huntley)
Anne PARRY - 20
Mary PARRY - 11 months
Sarah HOLMES - 5 months (Sarah Jane HULMES - Glosbdm - (???? Baptism at Westbuury on Severn 21 February 1841, Sarah Jane JONES, base born - mother Elizabeth)

On the 1841 Census for Blaisdon, James PARRY is on his own, age 30 - Stone Mason

--

1851 Census Longhope

PARRY

James - 40 - Stone Mason, born Blaisdon
Ann - 33 or 38 - born Tewkesbury **
Mary - 10
William - 8
Sarah - 6
Charles - 4
Martha - 2

---

Gloucestershire Baptism Index 1813 onwards..

Tewkesbury Holy Trinity

LUCY
Ann - 23 January 1817 - parents William (labourer) and Anne

siblings

Anne Maria - 6 January 1813, William was a Stocking Weaver
Martha - 13 August 1815, William was a labourer (Martha buried 28 August 1815 age 5 weeks)

Hannah - age 1 - buried - 7 November 1813 - High Street

Residence: each time, High Streeet

and William LUCY - buried 7 August 1852, age 75 - residence, High Street

---

1851 Census, Tewkesbury

HUNTLEY - William - 43 Coal Merchant, born Tewkesbury
Elizabeth - 46 - born Tewkesbury
Ellen - 16
Thomas - 7
William LUCY - Father-in-law, Widower, age 75, Pauper, formerly Settee Carrier, born Herefordshire, Ledbury

James PARRY/Ann LUCY

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, October 27, 2014, 23:49 (3440 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Yes, thank you. I had gone some way along this line but not as far as this. It appears that Ann LUCY (PARRY) lived to the age of 99 and died in Cheltenham in 1916.

by allan_rhodes, West Sussex, Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 18:09 (3439 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

As you say it's a small world especially as far as the Forest of Dean is concerned with such close knot relationships.

Again many thanks for your help

RSS Feed of thread