John Parry (Parish Records)

by goldenfox @, Saturday, April 16, 2016, 19:12 (2924 days ago)

John Parry was baptized at Longhope on 15 Jan. 1796 to Parents Thomas Parry (1773-1836) and Mary Morse. He was a WIDOWER and age 56 when he married Sarah Sterrey at Longhope on 11 Nov. 1851. In the 1841 Census he is listed age 40 and a Farmer at Longhope, also listed are John age 15, Thomas also age 15, Mary age 14,Nathaniel 12, Charlie 10, and Joseph age 8. Interestingly Sarah Sterrey is also listed age 25. I am having no success in tracing his first wife and any possible issue, I would appreciate any help or pointing me in the right direction.

In a separate issue and nothing to do with the above
A John Parry was baptized at Longhope on 3 May 1757 to John and Nancy, but Nancy who?, was her maiden name also Parry?, and was Nancy her real name?. I have searched elsewhere in both cases without success so any help on this also would be appreciated.

John Parry

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, April 16, 2016, 19:51 (2924 days ago) @ goldenfox

John Parry was baptized at Longhope on 15 Jan. 1796 to Parents Thomas Parry (1773-1836) and Mary Morse. He was a WIDOWER and age 56 when he married Sarah Sterrey at Longhope on 11 Nov. 1851. In the 1841 Census he is listed age 40 and a Farmer at Longhope, also listed are John age 15, Thomas also age 15, Mary age 14,Nathaniel 12, Charlie 10, and Joseph age 8. Interestingly Sarah Sterrey is also listed age 25. I am having no success in tracing his first wife and any possible issue, I would appreciate any help or pointing me in the right direction.

Good evening G,

Searching Ancestry for Nathaniel (as it seems a rarer name than t'others) gave this result which seems a pretty good fit, could it be yours ?

Name: Nathaniel Harper Parry
Baptism Date: 29 Oct 1828
Baptism Place: Independent-NC,Mitcheldean,Gloucester,England
Father: John Parry
Mother: Lydia
FHL Film Number: 0595449 (RG4 764)

Original data: England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013.

Switiching to LDS aka FamilySearch site, wrt the given source, show several Baptisms to John and Lydia Parry/Parrey in Mitcheldean which fit your 1841 Census household.

I'd be interested to know, please, if this link works for you, and so lists them all ?
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Aparry~%2...

Name John Mose Parrey
Event Type Baptism
Christening Date 06 Oct 1822
Christening Place Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Father's Name John Parrey
Mother's Name Lydia Parrey

Name Samuel Parrey
Event Type Baptism
Christening Date 06 Feb 1824
Christening Place Independent-NC, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire

Name Thomas Parrey
Event Type Baptism
Christening Date 14 Apr 1825
Affiliate Publication Number RG4_0764

Name Mary Ann Parrey
Event Type Baptism
Christening Date 07 Mar 1827

Name Charles Parrey
Event Type Baptism
Christening Date 30 Jun 1830

Name Joseph Enock Parrey
Event Type Baptism
Christening Date 23 May 1832
Christening Place Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire

------------

From this site's PRs;
Record_ID: 27
Entry_Number: 27
Year: 1818
Month: Dec
Day: 29
Grooms_Surname: PARRY
Grooms_Forenames: John
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: HARPER
Brides_Forenames: Lydia
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Joseph Harper
Witness_2: Marry[sic] Coleman
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Ed[mund] Probyn Offic[iatin]g Minister
Event: Marriage
Memoranda: With consent of Friends
Notes:
Register_Reference: P1 IN 1/9
Page_Number: 9
Parish_Chapel: Abenhall
Soundex_Groom: P600
Soundex_Bride: H616

Record_ID: 84329
Entry_Number:
Year: 1832
Month: Aug
Day: 11
Surname: PARREY
Forenames: Lydia
Residence:
Age_at_death: 33
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: wife of John
Notes:
Register_Reference: D6026 8/1
Page_No: 101
Parish_Chapel: Mitcheldean Congregational
Soundex: P600

---------------------------------

Searching the Glos Archives Genealogical Database appears to be worthwhile for the Parrys, eg they have a Will for a John Parry, Yeoman of Longhope, 1749.
use
http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Results.aspx

---------------------------------

Searching Lydia Harper's birth is proving difficult, cannot find in the FoD PRs.

Ancestry suggests this possible baptism which seems feasible, no alternatives offered;

Name: Lydia Harper
Baptism Date: 17 Jul 1803
Baptism Place: Saint Thomas,Dudley,Worcester,England
Father: Joseph Harper
Mother: Mary
FHL Film Number: 378764

=========================================

I'm afraid I cannot offer anything at all re Nancy, having checked all the aforementioned resources, sorry.

John Parry

by goldenfox @, Monday, April 18, 2016, 17:32 (2922 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jefff, many many thanks, you appear to be SPOT ON, it has too much going for it to be wrong, I just don't know how you do it

regards

Eric

PS Ref the link to LDS aka FamilySearch site, yes the link did work and lists them all.

John Parry

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, April 18, 2016, 18:26 (2922 days ago) @ goldenfox

Hi Eric,
you're really far too kind, but thanks anyhow.
Thanks especially for confirming the LDS site link works for you as it did me, I sometimes wonder whether such links only work for me at a given time, as if they rely on cookies and other mysterious electrickery which only my own pc has, so that's great to know.
Re the LDS/Familysearch site, if you've not used it before, it can be a really helpful website, especially as it's very user-friendly in the way it offers spelling variants simialr to the input search data, sometimes better than the subscription sites will, as this search showed wrt "Parry" and then "Parrey" ; the trick is using all the filters to narrow down the results to just the likely search locality etc, rather than the USA etc. And best of all, it's completely free of charge !
Regarding this and other free websites, this old thread may possibly be helpful to you.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=35197

Also very pleased of course that Graham has found your Nancy too.

atb Jeff.

John Parry

by ChrisW @, Saturday, April 16, 2016, 22:50 (2923 days ago) @ goldenfox

Hi

Just in case you were unaware!

The 1841 census recorded people's names, age, sex, occupation, and if they were born "in county". Children under 15 were to have their age recorded accurately, while those over 15 were to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years so, for example, someone aged 63 should be recorded as aged 60. However, not all enumerators followed this instruction and exact ages may have been recorded.

So the two boys listed as 15 years old would actually be between 15 and 19 at the time of the census. I am only mentioning this as John's first marriage is likely to be earlier than you first thought.

Reference your second query. Nancy is a name in it's own right, but also a diminutive of Anne. I had an Aunt named Annie Beatrice but she was always known as Nancy.

Regards
ChrisW

John Parry

by goldenfox @, Monday, April 18, 2016, 17:34 (2922 days ago) @ ChrisW

Many thanks CHRISW, all the best

regards

Eric

John Parry

by ChrisW @, Saturday, April 16, 2016, 23:18 (2923 days ago) @ goldenfox

???

From FreeBMD: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Deaths Sep 1838
Parry Nancy Westbury on Severn 11 299

John Parry

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, April 17, 2016, 00:06 (2923 days ago) @ ChrisW

Cheers Chris,

GlosBMD confirms this record and suggests she was born c 1779, so unfortunately was not the mother of John Parry born abt 1757, altho she is in the right locality so maybe related.

Death Details

Number of entries matching criteria entered: 1
Surname Given Names Age Year Died District Register Entry
PARRY Nancy 59 1838 Gloucester, Huntley 1 111

I agree with your comments earlier abt the name Nancy, but it must be said there seems to be quite a few cases in the local PRs where Parry girls were baptised Nancy, no doubt this applied to other families too, but which family was ours before she became a Parry ?

But then again, if she was also known as "Ann", then this site's PRs carry these Baptisms which may, perhaps, be relevant to this query;

Year Parents_Surname Child_Forenames Fathers_Forenames Mothers_Forenames Mothers_Surname Residence Occupation Parish_Chapel
1752 PARRY Sarah John Anne Longhope
1753 PARRY Mary John Anne Longhope
1755 PARRY Hannah John Ann Longhope

????

atb J

John Parry

by grahamdavison @, Sunday, April 17, 2016, 16:42 (2923 days ago) @ goldenfox

I believe JOHN PARRY married ANNE DREW 1 May 1749 at Churcham, they had 4 children

SARAH bapt 18 March 1852
MARY bapt 18 October 1753
HANNAH bapt 2 May 1755
JOHN bapt 3 May 1757 mother Nancy(Anne)

Anne was buried at Churcham 16 November 1761 and John then married MARY COLEMAN on
19 October 1762 at Longhope, they had 5 children

SAMUEL bapt 20 September 1763
SALY bapt 29 November 1765
ELIZABETH bapt 12 April 1768
NANCY bapt 5 June 1774
JONATHAN bapt 9 February 1777

John was buried at Longhope on 4 July 1796 and MARY on 19 April 1818.

My wife is descended from Sarah bapt 18 March 1852.

Hope this helps. I have more information including a transcript of the Will of JOHN PARRY buried 14 July 1748, who is the father of the above JOHN, if you would like this write to me offline.

RSS Feed of thread