Thomas GREEN son of James GREEN and Esther (General)

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Monday, August 22, 2016, 15:49 (2803 days ago)

hi everyone
not posted for a while but I've been working on my own family history in Lincolnshire.... but now I'm back doing some work on my OH's FOD family.

I'm now concentrating on my OH's great great grandfather Thomas GREEN's parentage.
I know he was baptised 19th May 1829 in Newent to James GREEN and Esther (?).... as were his twin brother and sister Mary Ann and William baptised 12 April 1828.

the Newent children to James and Esther end there. then in Huntley there is a whole nest of GREEN children born to James and Esther Green..... but there are definitely TWO James and Esthers. one James says he was born Huntley and the other Churcham...... Huntley James has Esther born Kempley...... and Churcham James has a wife born Dymock. (all quite close together)

Huntley James is the only one old enough to have fathered Thomas, Mary Ann, and William. but if this is the Esther BROOK marriage 10 Dec 1823 in Gloucester then where are the earlier children.... and does Esther really go on to have children when she is 53?

trying to sort them out is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. is anyone else working on this line please?

Thomas GREEN son of James GREEN and Esther

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, August 22, 2016, 16:36 (2803 days ago) @ macast

On the Gloucestershire Baptism Index CD

at Huntley

GREEN JUN

John so of James & Esther GREEN 5 February 1837

The JUN is not on the Forest of Dean Records - so may be a clue?

James GREEN Widower - Hundred of St Briavels, married Anne ACTON at Newland 5 August 1811 (the CD says, Banns Longford)

James GREEN of Longford, married Esther BROOK of Longford - 10 December 1823 at Glos. St Mary de Lobe

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Monday, August 22, 2016, 16:52 (2803 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I think John belongs to the James Green born Churcham as he shows up in the 1851 census in Huntley with James born abt 1809

it is the earlier GREEN children I am looking for:-

I have...

Joseph born about 1832
Robert born about 1833
James born about 1833
Eliza Ann born about 1835

and where are the children born before the twins Mary Ann and William baptised in 1828 if their parents married in 1823

later births are:-
Mary Ann
John
Joseph
Harriet
all born to James Green born Huntley, and Esther

Comfort
Francis
Henry
Emily
all born to James Green born Churcham, and Esther

by grahamdavison @, Monday, August 22, 2016, 17:41 (2803 days ago) @ macast

Using the Advanced search for children of James and Esther we have:

James bapt 4 Oct 1824 at Aston Ingham, and

Eliza bapt 24 April 1826 at May Hill, Aston Ingham

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, August 22, 2016, 17:55 (2803 days ago) @ grahamdavison

On the 1851 census, Huntley

James GREEN
Esther GREEN
Comfort GREEN born 1838
Frances - 10
Henry - 7
Emily - 1

Comfort GREEN registered 1838, Huntley - mother's maiden name BROOKES

Frances/Henry/Emily - no mother's maiden name BROOKES

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Monday, August 22, 2016, 18:54 (2803 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

that is great MPGriffiths..... so I can probably assume that James Green born Huntley and Esther Brookes are the parents of at least Robert (bapt 1833) Eliza (bapt 1835) and Comfort.... if not Francis, Henry, and Emily

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, August 22, 2016, 19:46 (2803 days ago) @ macast

I believe your Thomas GREEN (1829) is my ggrandfather. I have him marrying Eliza POYNER in 1853 in Huntley. Their daughter, Louisa, my grandmother, married firstly John HOLFORD and then his brother, Mark. Louisa died well before I was born but Mark survived long enough for me to remember him very clearly.

I have Thomas as the son of James GREEN and Esther BROOKE. The children I have for them are:-

Mary Anne, born and died in 1828.
William, born and died in 1828.
Thomas, 1829 - 1897
Joseph, born and died in 1832
Robert, 1833 -
Eliza Ann, 1835 -
Comfort, 1838 -
Francis, 1840 -
Henry, 1844 -
Emily, 1849 –

although, like you, I looked long and hard at the mother’s supposed age at Emily’s baptism.

At the time the evidence I gathered (from Census and this valuable site) looked convincing. Unfortunately it now languishes in a box somewhere. I shall try to unearth it.

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 11:25 (2802 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

thanks Mike.... really good to get confirmation

really good to find someone else researching the same line. it helps enormously.

I do think that Esther is too old to have had Emily in 1849/50..... maybe this is daughter Eliza Ann's child.... as Eliza is only 15 in 1851 I would imagine a family would definitely want to hide the true identity of the mother.

Thomas Green is my OH Mike's gggrandfather.... but no photos have survived. but we do have a photo of Julia Green (Mike's ggrandmother) with her husband Alfred BARNARD and their 5 children. Julia really does look Italian so I was surprised to find that the Greens and Poyners were all from The Forest! do you have any photos of Louisa?

although Eliza POYNER was illegitimate, on her marriage entry to Thomas GREEN there is a named father as James PARRY (?)... I can't find a marriage for Elizabeth so I don't know who this is.

when looking through Mike's parent's family photos we found one of 4 young men.... one of them definitely looks like Julia.... do you have the same photo? there are no names written on the back

thanks again for confirmation of info..... and also letting me know that Mary Ann, William, and Joseph all died in infancy

regards Marcie

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 12:03 (2802 days ago) @ macast

If you search the forum for Elizabeth POYNER you will find a 2013 thread from me which should throw some light on Eliza's parentage and what happened to her mother.

As regards a 'photo of Louisa I know that one did exist and possibly still does. My mother had a large picture of her parents, Louisa and Mark, on her wall for many years. Unfortunately in her latter years she disposed of all such items so I have virtually nothing left. Who knows, it may turn up one day.

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 12:47 (2801 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

thanks Mike

as Eliza is with her grandfather in the 1841 census I assumed her mother was dead by this time. but perhaps she was ill in hospital? but I really do wonder who James PARRY was (I love a mystery lol)

what a shame about your grandmother's photos. it would have been really good to compare the features of the two sisters. if any photos do turn up please get in touch.

in the meantime I'll continue to work on this line of the family and try to dig some more :-)

kind regards, Marcie

Louisa Green

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, August 15, 2020, 12:29 (1349 days ago) @ macast

Resuming after four years…………..

If you have access to Ancestry that ‘photo of Louisa Green appears in the Alder_25914 public tree. I don’t know how long it’s been there – I haven’t checked out this branch for new material for some time. It’s clearly an Android ‘photo of a ‘photo and a bit blurred but it’s definitely the one I remember.

Louisa Green

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Sunday, August 16, 2020, 16:55 (1348 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

thank you Mike. I found the tree you mention and the photo.
really interesting seeing Julia Green's sister. both were large ladies in later life. it's a shame so few photos were taken of our ancestors isn't it.

Julia lived in Cinderford so I wonder if they saw each other from time to time.

which of Louisa's daughters was your mum? Julia's son Stanley was Mike's grandfather.

anyway.... thanks again

Louisa Green

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, August 16, 2020, 20:49 (1348 days ago) @ macast

My mother (Lily, by the way) had quite a few old family photographs. However, in the years before she passed away (2001) she disposed of almost all of them. This was before my interest in FH developed so I was left with virtually nothing. Thanks to the generosity of a relative in Canada I am now in a better position but still not replete with material. I wish I had taken an interest earlier.

Louisa Green

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Monday, August 17, 2020, 00:03 (1348 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

I think we all wish we had taken an interest earlier....

Julia Green looks very Italian in the one and only photo we have. I can only assume that she spent a lot of time out of doors as I can find no Italian blood.

what about your Louisa?

Louisa Green

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, August 17, 2020, 14:45 (1347 days ago) @ macast

No hint of Italian anywhere. All the action took place in a very restricted area around Huntley. She lived her married life in May Hill village in a cottage with the most stunning views over the Vale of Severn. During my time several of her children still lived in similar cottages nearby. Somewhat different today - all modernized and probably a modern price too.

Louisa Green and her 3x grandparents

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 14:32 (1345 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

hi Mike

just wondered if you have taken your Louisa Green line back to her 3x grandparents (my Mike's line too through Julia Green.... Louisa's sister).

I just found their marriage, and wondered how/why they married in Gloucester Cathedral??? he was from Huntley and she was from Taynton.

he is Richard Priddy/Pready/Piddy and she is Grace Jones. do you have the same?

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 17:07 (1345 days ago) @ macast

This is the line which goes down through DRINKWATER and POYNER to Eliza POYNER isn’t it? Yes, I did have Richard PRIDDY and Grace JONES as the possible parents of Mary PREDDY who then went on to marry Thomas DRINKWATER. It was really the only candidate. I put it aside as a query because the FODFHT transcription had the marriage on 22 Feb 1768 and Mary PREDDY was baptised in 1759. In fact, there are four children baptised to Richard and Grace PREADY at Huntley and all in 1764 or before. I never followed it up. However, having done so now I see that the Ancestry image records the marriage on 22 Feb 1754, saving me from having to concoct a bizarre explanation for the anomaly.

As regards the location of Gloucester Cathedral it is possible that, for some reason, they did not want any publicity in the form of banns or use of a licence in their home parishes. The date was just before Hardwicke’s Marriage Act (into force 25 March 1754) so probably not an age-related objection from parents. Perhaps there was some other form of local opposition.

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 17:44 (1345 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

what an intriguing reply! thank you.... that has given us something to think about.

I do have 5 children baptised to Richard and Grace though....

Benjamin 29/1/1755
William 20/6/1757
Mary 4/11/1759
Sarah 17/1/1762
Betty 20/5/1764

I trawled through the Huntley baptism record images ..... there may be more later as Grace didn't die until 1796 (buried 2 March 1796)... and Richard died in 1804 (buried 9 August 1804) also gleaned from the Huntley record images. you can tell that the weather has been wet for days lol.

if Richard and Grace married 22 Feb 1754.... and Benjamin was baptised in January 1755 do you think that Benjamin might have been born months before... a reason for not marrying in a local church?

or.... is there a possibility that Grace came from a 'better' family than Richard and therefore there might have been objections to them marrying? or even the other way around?

the apparent DRINKWATER money came from somewhere.... perhaps from the Mary Priddy/Pready line? or do you know different?

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Friday, August 21, 2020, 20:43 (1343 days ago) @ macast

I guess you have seen the baptism of a Grace JONES at Taynton in 1721. If she was the Grace who married Richard PRIDDY then she was about 33 at the time. The last child I can see was baptised in 1764 making her 43 and approaching the age where fertility declines significantly. Maybe this really was her last child. I have tried to find Richard’s baptism with no success yet; if he were to be shown to be much younger than her that might increase the average eyebrow height locally. We’re probably never going to find out why Gloucester Cathedral but it’s always interesting to speculate.

The only information I have about the DRINKWATER money is from the will of Thomas DRINKWATER (probate 24 Dec 1829). He was a cordwainer and therefore a skilled craftsman who might have made a good living. He evidently had freehold property (where he lived) and there are hints of other holdings as well. Yet the value of his estate at probate was marked as under £20. Estimates vary but that might be around £2000 today – not a fortune on first glance. One factor might be that he left this property to his daughter, Ann, (wife of Edward POYNER) for her lifetime and then to his grandson, John POYNER, for ever, in the form of a Will Trust. It’s not clear to me whether this would have counted in the probate valuation. The other factor is that he left his four sons a nominal one shilling each. This could mean that he had already made provision for them in his lifetime and had no need to do so in his will. All in all, I don’t think the probate valuation reflects his true worth.

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, August 22, 2020, 12:22 (1342 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

hi again Mike

yes I saw Grace Jones baptised 1721... and if this is our Grace then I agree that she would likely stop producing children in 1764 or thereabouts.

I've also been unable to find a likely baptism for Richard Priddy/Pready. but I'll let you know if I come across one.

Ancestry now has all the Huntley baptism/marriage/burial images so looks like this family might take up a bit of my time over the next few weeks/months lol.

by grahamdavison @, Saturday, August 22, 2020, 17:39 (1342 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

There`s a Richard Predeth born Newent 1731 which could be of interest.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, August 22, 2020, 20:35 (1342 days ago) @ grahamdavison

Thanks very much for that. I hadn't spotted him. He's the right age for my age-difference theory.

by grahamdavison @, Sunday, August 23, 2020, 09:43 (1341 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

There is also a Marriage Licence for Richard Priddy & Grace Jones which states he is of Huntley & she is of Taynton. Unfortunately the Licence doesn`t give their ages but it does say they were to marry at Taynton.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 11:55 (1339 days ago) @ grahamdavison

That's very interesting. The entry is dated the day before the actual marriage took place in the Cathedral. There must be a story attached to this but I don't suppose it will ever emerge.

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:21 (1339 days ago) @ grahamdavison

where did you both find the Licence?..... I don't seem to be able to see it.

I have some time today to do a little digging ;-)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:32 (1339 days ago) @ macast

It's on this site under Resources, Marriage licence allegations etc

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 13:58 (1339 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

thanks Mike.... I should have looked there first!!!

I see that this was sworn before Thos. Carpenter............ and 'Mr Carpenter' married them in Gloucester Cathedral.

this seems curious to me..... but what do you think?

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 20:08 (1339 days ago) @ macast

I’ve been perusing FamilySearch’s notes on the subject,

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Marriage_Allegations,_Bonds_and_Licences_in_Englan...

Apparently, it was not unusual for the Allegation to be made the day before the wedding or even on the same day. Also, it might not even take place at the church specified. There seems to have been a certain leeway to make changes. I suppose if Thomas Carpenter and Mr Carpenter, Minor Canon, were one and the same it may have been a matter of convenience to alter the venue. Perhaps I’m manufacturing a mystery where there is none.

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Saturday, August 22, 2020, 20:53 (1342 days ago) @ grahamdavison

thank you grahamdavison..... that is brilliant!

shame I'm out all day tomorrow with no opportunity to study it. but that will be on the agenda for Monday

thanks again

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, August 22, 2016, 20:46 (2803 days ago) @ macast

It was probably these two overlapping Census entries which convinced me. Mary Ann, William and Joseph were all buried by then.

GR 1841 Census, Huntley Hill. All born in county

James GREEN, 50, Ag Lab.
Hester, 40,
Robert, 7,
Eliza, 5,
Comfort, 2,
Francis, 6m

GR 1851 Census, Huntley Hill

James GREEN, Head, Mar, 62, Ag Lab, b. Glos, Huntley
Esther, Wife, Mar, 54, Glos, Kemperley
Comfort, Daur, 12, Glos, Huntley
Frances, Son, 10, Glos, Huntley
Henry, Son, 7, Glos, Huntley
Emily, Daur, 1, Glos, Huntley

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Monday, August 22, 2016, 18:49 (2803 days ago) @ grahamdavison

this James Green is a Tailor

the James Green in the other baptisms is a Labourer

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 16:38 (2801 days ago) @ grahamdavison

hi Graham..... I dismissed these births at first.... but it does make sense that there were children born to James and Esther soon after their marriage in 1823.

James GREEN was a Tailor at these baptisms... (James 1824 and Eliza 1826) but at the baptism of twins William and Mary Ann in 1828 he is said to be a Labourer

do you suppose this could be the same James and Esther GREEN and that James fell on hard times as a Tailor ... or had an accident.... or his eyesight was failing????

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 19:21 (2801 days ago) @ macast

hi Graham..... I dismissed these births at first.... but it does make sense that there were children born to James and Esther soon after their marriage in 1823.

James GREEN was a Tailor at these baptisms... (James 1824 and Eliza 1826) but at the baptism of twins William and Mary Ann in 1828 he is said to be a Labourer

do you suppose this could be the same James and Esther GREEN and that James fell on hard times as a Tailor ... or had an accident.... or his eyesight was failing????

Hi Marcie,
I've only browsed thro this thread so apologies if I'm missing the obvious.
Re how James apparently went from Tailor to Ag Labourer, you may well be right that ill-health was an issue, but also please think on the following;

1. Huntley had a small population in those days, probably smaller than when this 1884 map was drawn. Was it big enough to support a full-time tailor ?
http://maps.nls.uk/view/101453124

2. It wasn't unusual for people to over-egg their occupations, perhaps he wasn't a fully fledged/skilled tailor at all in the modern sense, maybe he was an occasional "tailor's assistant" when his other labouring jobs were quiet, or a labourer who had some sewing skills & tools adequate for a small country community.

3. Using this site's Advanced Search feature I've just searched for Baptisms of all surnames which include the word "Huntley" within the Residence info, this gives a list of "just" 1291 entries out of an overall database of over 431,000 ! Scanning down this list shows a William Green, shoemaker c1810s, wife Elizabeth, is he in your tree ? Continuing thro' the 1820s and 1830s etc shows a very distinct lack of tailors in the area, the overwhelming majority are labourers, farm or woodland related as expected in this area, altho it may be relevant that there's also a mercer (textiles merchant), Henry Hale, at abt this time. Similar scanning thro the 1841 Census for Huntley will give you a further idea as to the occupations in the village, albeit a little later of course.
http://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/advanced-search

4. Even as late as 1876 there appears to be just the one tailor in Huntley, which then boasted abt 500 population.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cbennett/huntley1876.htm

Just a few miles away, so an easy walk (in those days), Longhope has double the population yet no tailor, perhaps as they hadn't paid to be listed, or maybe 'cos there wasn't one, by now the locals could be buying clothes by catalogue or in their trips into Gloucester. Eitherway I think it unlikely that Huntley would have it's own, permanent, tailor c1830.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cbennett/longhope1870.htm

The excellent University of Leicester Old Directories website has an 1849 Directory of Gloucester(shire) and Bristol, Hunts and Co. It doesn't mention Huntley or even Longhope specifically, but does have a section for nearby Mitcheldean which lists three tailors in the area (no Greens), Newent is also featured. Hopefully this link will take you straight there, if not look for page 133 etc in the righthand index column.
http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p16445coll4/id/167159/...

Hoping this helps, good luck, Jeff.

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 21:13 (2801 days ago) @ Jefff

If you use the Advance Search for children of John/James GREEN (occupation Tailor) and Esther - at Aston Ingham - they are having children from 1818 onwards up to 1837

1841 Census, Aston Ingham

Esther - 40-44
Harriott - 8
Henry - 3
Joseph FLUCK

by Googling:

James Green Tailor - Aston Ingham

you will find the Will of

James FLUCK 0f Aston Ingham, Herefordshire, laborer - dated 17 March 1831

and talks about his Son-in-Law John GREEN otherwise HOOPER of the parish of Aston Ingham aforesaid, Tailor

goes on to say

'I mean to designate the illegitimate Son of Sarah the wife of John GREEN of Huntly in the County of Gloucester Tailor before her marriage to the said John GREEN Sarah HOOPER and which said John GREEN otherwise HOOPER was baptised in the parish Church of Huntley aforesaid on the seventh day of February one thousand seven hundred and ninety by the name of John Son of Sarah HOOPER and is commonly called or known by the name of John GREEN ett. etc.'

Baptism at Huntley - 7 February 1790

John HOOPER - father's forenames: not stated
mother: Sarah

Marriage at Huntley - 10 February 1790

Sarah HOOPER - aged 18 Spinster of Huntley
John GREEN - aged 22 Batchelor, Taylor, residence: Huntley

This couple have children

James 1792, Edward 1795, Jane 1798, Richard 1800, Joseph 1803, Thomas 1806 and William 1807

Previous threads on this forum in 2008 regarding this family - Esther FLUCK married John GREEN 1818 St Mary de Lobe

listed as John GREENING on the Forest of Dean transcript.

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Friday, August 26, 2016, 19:09 (2799 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

thank you for this... it is going to take some unravelling .... I've been out all day today.... and busy again tomorrow.... so I'll take a look at all this on Sunday. thanks again

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Sunday, August 28, 2016, 13:51 (2797 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

If you use the Advance Search for children of John/James GREEN (occupation Tailor) and Esther - at Aston Ingham - they are having children from 1818 onwards up to 1837

1841 Census, Aston Ingham

Esther - 40-44
Harriott - 8
Henry - 3
Joseph FLUCK

by Googling:

James Green Tailor - Aston Ingham

you will find the Will of

James FLUCK 0f Aston Ingham, Herefordshire, laborer - dated 17 March 1831

and talks about his Son-in-Law John GREEN otherwise HOOPER of the parish of Aston Ingham aforesaid, Tailor

goes on to say

'I mean to designate the illegitimate Son of Sarah the wife of John GREEN of Huntly in the County of Gloucester Tailor before her marriage to the said John GREEN Sarah HOOPER and which said John GREEN otherwise HOOPER was baptised in the parish Church of Huntley aforesaid on the seventh day of February one thousand seven hundred and ninety by the name of John Son of Sarah HOOPER and is commonly called or known by the name of John GREEN ett. etc.'

Baptism at Huntley - 7 February 1790

John HOOPER - father's forenames: not stated
mother: Sarah

Marriage at Huntley - 10 February 1790

Sarah HOOPER - aged 18 Spinster of Huntley
John GREEN - aged 22 Batchelor, Taylor, residence: Huntley

This couple have children

James 1792, Edward 1795, Jane 1798, Richard 1800, Joseph 1803, Thomas 1806 and William 1807

Previous threads on this forum in 2008 regarding this family - Esther FLUCK married John GREEN 1818 St Mary de Lobe

listed as John GREENING on the Forest of Dean transcript.

I've spent the last 3 hours looking at all this evidence and weighing it all up. I have to say that this is looking very likely to be that John Green sr and Sarah Hooper are the parents of James Green who married Esther Brooke.....

what does everyone else think?

Mike Pinchin have you matched these up?

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, August 28, 2016, 14:12 (2797 days ago) @ macast

I was looking at this part of my tree this morning and I do indeed have John GREEN and Sarah HOOPER as his parents. I don't seem to have any further information about them though. I'm not sure if that line came to a dead end or whether I moved on to another branch at the time.

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Sunday, August 28, 2016, 16:27 (2797 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

I was looking at this part of my tree this morning and I do indeed have John GREEN and Sarah HOOPER as his parents. I don't seem to have any further information about them though. I'm not sure if that line came to a dead end or whether I moved on to another branch at the time.

you may well have stopped with that line as I found this...

Record_ID: 80397
Entry_Number: 582
Year: 1768
Month: Mar
Day: 27
Parents_Surname: GREEN
Child_Forenames: John
Fathers_Forenames: [Base Born]
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister: John Ridley Vicar
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Son of
Notes:
Register_Reference: P 354 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 18
Parish_Chapel: Westbury on Severn
Soundex: G650

it would, in effect, then be a dead end if no father's name was given

but of course this might not be the correct John GREEN (I live in hopes of finding out)

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, August 29, 2016, 13:38 (2796 days ago) @ macast

All from FODFHT,

This looks likely to be the burial of Sarah GREEN(HOOPER).

Record_ID 85226
Entry_Number 58
Year 1818
Month Jan
Day 20
Surname GREEN
Forenames Sarah
Residence Huntley
Age_at_death 47
Officiating_Minister John Morse
Event Burial
Cause_of_death
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference 18416
Page_No 8
Parish_Chapel Huntley

Then there is this burial of a John GREEN, Residence Ross but buried at Huntley,

Record_ID: 85408
Entry_Number: 253
Year: 1838
Month: Dec
Day: 11
Surname: GREEN
Forenames: John
Residence: Ross - County of Hereford
Age_at_death: 72
Officiating_Minister: John Morse Rector
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: widower Died Decr 8 Registered Decr 12
Notes:
Register_Reference: 18416
Page_No: 32
Parish_Chapel: Huntley

Aged 72 = c1766 would be not far off his age on the Marriage Allegation (22). I suppose he could have been returned for burial at Huntley to be with his wife?

Perhaps he had previous associations with the Ross area? There is this John GREEN at Walford.

Record_ID 302231
Entry_Number
Year 1766
Month Nov
Day 2
Parents_Surname GREEN
Child_Forenames John
Fathers_Forenames James
Mothers_Forenames Elizabeth
Mothers_Surname
Residence
Occupation
Officiating_Minister [not stated]
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference AO19/2
Page_Number
Parish_Chapel Walford

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Monday, August 29, 2016, 14:51 (2796 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

All from FODFHT,

This looks likely to be the burial of Sarah GREEN(HOOPER).

Record_ID 85226
Entry_Number 58
Year 1818
Month Jan
Day 20
Surname GREEN
Forenames Sarah
Residence Huntley
Age_at_death 47
Officiating_Minister John Morse
Event Burial
Cause_of_death
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference 18416
Page_No 8
Parish_Chapel Huntley

Then there is this burial of a John GREEN, Residence Ross but buried at Huntley,

Record_ID: 85408
Entry_Number: 253
Year: 1838
Month: Dec
Day: 11
Surname: GREEN
Forenames: John
Residence: Ross - County of Hereford
Age_at_death: 72
Officiating_Minister: John Morse Rector
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: widower Died Decr 8 Registered Decr 12
Notes:
Register_Reference: 18416
Page_No: 32

Aged 72 = c1766 would be not far off his age on the Marriage Allegation (22). I suppose he could have been returned for burial at Huntley to be with his wife?

Perhaps he had previous associations with the Ross area? There is this John GREEN at Walford.

Record_ID 302231
Entry_Number
Year 1766
Month Nov
Day 2
Parents_Surname GREEN
Child_Forenames John
Fathers_Forenames James
Mothers_Forenames Elizabeth
Mothers_Surname
Residence
Occupation
Officiating_Minister [not stated]
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference AO19/2
Page_Number
Parish_Chapel Walford

I'd spotted the John GREEN burial.... but not the Sarah GREEN one. yes... I agree that John probably wanted to be buried with Sarah. he may have moved to Ross for work (?)

did you find a death record for the John GREEN son of James and Elizabeth?

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN/CHAMBERLAIN

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, August 29, 2016, 14:53 (2796 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

There appear to be only 4 entries for the GREEN's in Westbury on severn from 1766 to 1773

the next two jump to 1789 and 1795

Baptism:

1776 - Joseph GREEN (Base born) mother Elizabeth
1768 - John GREEN (Base born) mother Mary

Marriage:

1770 - John GREEN - to Mary BELLAMY
1773 - Jane GREEN to Richard NEWMAN ***

1774 - Mary GREEN to Richard WHERRITT - witnesses: John WHITE & John CHAMBERLAIN

At the moment the only time I see can see John CHAMBERLAIN(E) - witnessing a wedding was at Westbury on Severn 16 February 1779 - when John CADLE married Sarah GREEN and John & Sarah CADLE have at least 3 children christened at Churcham, Sarah 1779, Richard 1782 and Joseph 1787. There is a burial at Churcham in 1822 of Sarah CADLE aged 73 = c1749

(Baptism of Richard - son of this couple in 1775 who died in 1775 and then another son Richard in 1776) and then Mary's burial 29 May 1776 - wife of Richard

John GREEN & Sarah (nee HOOPER) children's names..

James 1792, Edward 1795. Jane 1798, Richard 1800, Joseph 1803, Thomas 1807 and William

Are: Elizabeth, Mary, John & Jane siblings?

??

There is a baptism of a John NEWMAN at Westbury on Severn 1775 - parents Richard & Jane

and two at Taynton

Richard 1775
Elizabeth 1785

Burial at Churcham in 1818 of Jane NEWMAN aged 72 (c1746) of Huntley

----

A Thomas & Sarah GREEN - are having children at Churcham around those date

i.e. Anne 1736, Elizabeth 1740, Susannah 1745, Esther 1748, Sarah 1751, Jane 1747, Mary 1743 etc.

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, August 28, 2016, 14:25 (2797 days ago) @ macast

Maybe this is Sarah Hooper She married John GREEN in 1790 I think.

Record_ID: 358326
Entry_Number:
Year: 1770
Month: Aug
Day: 19
Parents_Surname: HOOPER
Child_Forenames: Sarah
Fathers_Forenames: James
Mothers_Forenames: Jane
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister: John Jelf Curate
Memoranda:
Notes: not in PR's
Register_Reference: GDR V1/136
Page_Number:

FLUCK/HOOPER/GREEN

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Sunday, August 28, 2016, 15:05 (2797 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Maybe this is Sarah Hooper She married John GREEN in 1790 I think.

Record_ID: 358326
Entry_Number:
Year: 1770
Month: Aug
Day: 19
Parents_Surname: HOOPER
Child_Forenames: Sarah
Fathers_Forenames: James
Mothers_Forenames: Jane
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister: John Jelf Curate
Memoranda:
Notes: not in PR's
Register_Reference: GDR V1/136
Page_Number:

yes.... I had come to the conclusion that this was the right Sarah as on her marriage to John GREEN it states ... "With consent of the bride's mother Jane Hooper widow who marked"

Record_ID: 49429
Entry No.: 0
Year: 1790
Month: Feb
Day: 10
Groom_Surname: GREEN
Groom_Forenames: John
Groom_Age_at_Marriage: 22
Groom_Condition: Batchelor
Groom_Rank/Profession: Taylor
Groom_Residence: Huntley
Groom_Fathers_Surname:
Groom_Fathers_Forenames: Groom_Father's_Rank/Profession:
Bride_Surname: HOOPER
Bride_Forenames: Sarah
Bride_Age_at_Marriage: 18
Bride_Condition: Spinster
Bride_Rank/Profession:
Bride_Residence: Huntley
Bride_Fathers_Surname:
Bride_Fathers_Forenames:
Bride_Father's_Rank/Profession:
Marriage_by: Licence
Signature_or_Mark: He marks
Witness_1:
Witness_2:
Other_Witnesses:
Sealed and Delivered in the presence of:
Event_type: Marriage Allegation
Memoranda: [1]sworn before Tho Rudge [2] to marry at Huntley Transcriber's_Notes: With consent of the bride's mother Jane Hooper widow who marked
Register_Reference: Q3/79
Page_no.: 11
Soundex_Groom: G650
Soundex_Bride: H160

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Friday, August 26, 2016, 19:08 (2799 days ago) @ Jefff

thank you for this.... I've been out all day today.... and busy again tomorrow.... so I'll take a look at all this on Sunday. thanks again

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Saturday, August 15, 2020, 22:50 (1349 days ago) @ macast

Hi

I don't know whether this will confuse your search or not but in the 1802 list of landholders and tenants for the Inclosure of Birdwood Common in Churcham Parish a John Green owned numerous plots and a Mary Green was a copyholder for several allotments as well.

In addition a Harriet Green baptised 1st August 1830 in Minsterworth was the daughter of William Green and Ann Copner.
Harriet married Thomas Toomey in Minsterworth on 3rd February 1853.
Thomas Toomey was baptised in Churcham on 5th December 1830.

Good luck with your search

Sid Toomey

RSS Feed of thread