Frederick ANDERSON burial 1902 (Parish Records)

by valmai selman @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 08:12 (2334 days ago)

Can anyone please help me? Does any information on a Parish Record burial transcript indicate the position of the grave? I have great grandparents buried, I'm told, in the same grave, 40 years apart, but I'm sure that grave is unmarked.

Frederick ANDERSON burial 1902

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 14:11 (2334 days ago) @ valmai selman

Hi,
yes the burial record can sometimes give clues or even specific reference details as to the location of the grave location, but this varies depending on where and when the burial took place, and if the relevant graveyard map/plan is still available. Some church ministers/wardens were far better than others at recording these details.
I cannot find the Frederick Anderson burial in this site's PRs. If you can quote the information you have then we can hopefully help further.

PS my brother-in-law's twin sister died a few hours after being born at the Dilke in 1950. It's believed she was buried in another family grave probably at Lydbrook church. but so far we've found no records whatsoever of this.

----------

UPDATE, don't know why ???? but despite spelling it correctly the PR search engine only found the burial for Frederick Anderson AFTER I ticked the Soundex box....

I now see we've visited this in the past, these prior threads apply;
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=45309
and before that
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=19758#p37828

To recap, here's the relevant PR;

Record_ID: 50463
Entry_Number: 582
Year: 1902
Month: Sep
Day: 13
Surname: ANDERSON
Forenames: Frederick
Residence: Netherend Woolaston
Age_at_death: 58
Officiating_Minister: J Jones officiating minister
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P376 IN 1/18
Page_No: 73
Parish_Chapel: Woolaston
Soundex: A536

I think in this instance the "P376 in 1/18" doesn't mean something like Plot 376 in graveyard row 1 of 18, say, but in fact refers to the Register page number and the book it's in.

by shepway @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 18:55 (2334 days ago) @ Jefff

The Registers are available on Ancestry and a check of the entries for both Frederick Anderson and Susannah Thomas (Susannah married again following Frederick's death) do not give any indication as to where in Woolaston Churchyard they are buried. You would be best served by contacting the Church - contact details are on the following website: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/woolaston-st-andrew/

Mike

by valmai selman @, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 06:33 (2333 days ago) @ shepway

Thank you Mike, I have posted about this before, with a respondent on that occasion offering to visit the churchyard to try to find the grave. I didn’t hear from her again but in the meantime have visited the churchyard myself and not found a headstone with the information I am looking for , so it is probably an unmarked grave which doesn’t help! I have also been in contact with the vicar at the church some time ago, who promised to ask a member of his church whom, he thought, would be able to help, but I haven’t heard from him again either!

by valmai selman @, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 06:38 (2333 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you Jefff, I have the information you found , and as the references at the bottom of the page are the same on both Frederick and Susannah’s transcriptions I wondered if that was a clue to the position of the grave. We have indeed visited this before to no avail, so I thought I would give it one more try before I visit again next year. I have also been in contact with the vicar in the past who though he had a member of his church who would be able to help, but didn’t hear anything after the initial response. Any idea where I go to see if maps of graves in the churchyard are available? Valmai

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 16:29 (2333 days ago) @ valmai selman

You're welcome Valmai,
as in the past the best sources for graveyard plans and maps are usually the Churches themselves, so as before my best advice is to use the contact info Mike has posted and hopefully they can help you this time. Nowadays Vicars and their helpers are often responsible for more than one church so busy times for them and their churchwardens and suchlike, plus of course many of these knowledgable people are elderly so perhaps less-available nowadays, especially now the cold weather's with us not to mention the oncoming Christmas season. Just best to persevere I guess, perhaps an offer of a donation to the "church roof" fund will help oil the works of your enquiry? One other suggestion would be to post a letter in the local newspapers, or even send an advert for posting in the local shop windows, and some kind local person may help you out.
Best of luck, Jeff.

by valmai selman @, Friday, November 10, 2017, 03:05 (2331 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you Jeff, I am grateful to both you and Mike for your help in pointing me in the right direction to take my research further. Your ideas are useful and I will certainly follow them up, but will leave it until after Christmas when everyone will hopefully be rested from the festivities! Valmai

RSS Feed of thread