John Jones b 1656 Whitchurch -Ye Gockett (Parish Records)

by Marky @, Bagshot, Surrey, Monday, July 02, 2018, 11:37 (2119 days ago)

Hi All,
I think I have tracked my forbears back to this John Jones (sometimes recorded as Johannis). Most of my information has come through the the FODFHT parish records.

John (Johannis) Jones was baptised in Whitchurch 6 sept 1656. His father is listed as John, and their residence is noted as Ye Gockett. I've done a bit of map searching but have only found reference to a Pub named Ye Gockett. As I recall it was a few miles SW of Whitchurch. Does anyone have any additional info on Ye Gockett? Was it a village, hamlet or just the Pub?

Also if anyone could help fill out his history I'd be very grateful.
I know he was married to a Jane (sometimes Jana) but no maiden name or marriage details....
I've also found 3 sons and 3 daughters between 1678 and 1698 to a John and Jane Jones - all baptised Whitchurch
I've not found any record of his or her death.

Once again, any pointers would be helpful.
Cheers
Marky

John Jones b 1656 Whitchurch -Ye Gockett

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, July 03, 2018, 15:19 (2117 days ago) @ Marky

If you use the Advance system for births/marriages and deaths - and type address as GOCKET - you will find this 'place' is mentioned a few times including 21 April 1642 when Robert PHILPOTT of The Gockett was buried.

Sometimes the residence is listed as

Little Gockett Whitchurch
(Doward) Little Gockett, Whitchurch
Gockelt

and on the 25 May 1862, Sarah GUNTER aged 63 of The Gocket Gt Doward Hill is buried at Whitchurch

On the 1861 census she is on

1861 Herefordshire, Whitchurch, District 5 - page 2 of 10

and the Enumerators Notes say:

District 5:

Part of the Parish of Whitchurch comprising all the houses and cottage on the South East side of Turnpike Road, leading from Monmouth to Rofs to a foot path leading from the old forge - to the Connigar Stile and Summer House - Extending to the Burnt Road and Lords Wood Gate.

(the farm above Doward, Whitchurch on the 1861 census, is Brook House)

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, July 03, 2018, 15:30 (2117 days ago) @ Marky

The death of Jane JONES at Whitchurch is on the Forest of Dean records

Burial at Whitchurch

30 July 1709

Jane JONES

Memoranda: wife of John JOHNS

Notes: Forename(s) translated from Latin

JANA and JOHANNIS **

----

This marriage is far too early but gives an example

Marriage at Goodrich : 21 November 1629

Johes JONES and Jana LANE

and also

John JONES - 11 June 1716

Burial

Notes: Forename(s) translated from Latin JOHANNIS **

by Marky @, Bagshot, Surrey, Wednesday, July 04, 2018, 20:28 (2116 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Many thanks MPG for your 2 posts. The Burials look quite probable for John and Jane Jones and the information on 'Ye Gockett' (possibly a transcription error for The Gockett)!is really helpful. You've also given me some helpful hints on using the advanced search system in FODFHT.
Again many thanks for your help
Marky

RSS Feed of thread