'Hallier' (occupation) (General)

by obscurasky @, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 22:51 (2120 days ago)

The occupation 'Hallier' appears on two separate documents for someone I'm researching. I've Googled it, but there's a couple of different definitions out there. Can anyone suggest a reliable source for what a Hallier is?

Many thanks,

'Hallier' (occupation)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, July 05, 2018, 23:22 (2120 days ago) @ obscurasky

Hi,
without searching it my immediate thought is its a mispelling of "haulier", as in someone who owns a horse n wagon/cart for carrying parcels & goods to hire, quite common on census returns countrywide. I've also seen "haulier" used for colliery workers underground !, which may refer to men pulling the tubs themselves ?.

However I also see an online reference that states
"Hallier - A market worker or stall-holder"

This is a term I've NEVER seen in many hundreds of census etc records, I suspect it's perhaps one from the "big city" markets, Convent Garden etc, not convinced it applies to the FoD area but... ?
http://www.familytreeassociation.org/g-i.html

I found the above website by googling "hallier" - the word doesnt appear in the websites I normally use, see below. Suggesting it's perhaps a very unusual term, so prob not relevant in your case, altho' without knowing the full circumstances of the person you're researching it's hard for me to say.

Hope this helps.

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/h.html

http://www.worldthroughthelens.com/family-history/old-occupations.php

'Hallier' (occupation)

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, July 07, 2018, 17:58 (2119 days ago) @ Jefff

On another website - there is this definition of the occupation 'Hallier'

"Hallier is not a misprint nor is it misspelt
Hallier was the name given to those who actually hauled the coal from the seam face to the lift connection area.
Seen in conection with iron mining as well.
It is much more often found in Monmouthshire than elsewhere.'

If you use the Advance Search for baptisms occupation of the father: Hallier - there are quite a number... ie. 285 in total for baptisms.

'Hallier' (occupation)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, July 09, 2018, 00:44 (2117 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Many thanks MPG, that makes complete sense. I thought the market stall-holder reference seemed unlikely for our area, thanks for looking. By the way very smart-thinking looking for it in the PRs, I guess maybe I have seen it mentioned in the past but the spelling never really registered with me. Great to live n learn !

'Hallier' (occupation)

by MPGriffiths @, Monday, July 09, 2018, 08:48 (2117 days ago) @ Jefff

Labourer/Coal Miner/Haulier/Hallier - all being the same person i.e. Thomas GWYNNE

Baptisms : Parents: Thomas & Maria

1833 : Maria : residence Middle Lane End, Thomas (occupation: Labourer) christened at Coleford
1835 : Hubert : residence Broadwell, Thomas (occupation: Labourer) christened at Coleford
1837 : Sarah : residence Forest of Dean, Thomas (occupation: Coal Miner) christened at Coleford
1841: Hubert Ambry GWINNE - residence: Coleford Tything, Thomas (Labourer) & (Mary - Maria on Ancestry)

---

1841 Census - Newland, District 19, Page 5 of 8
Thos GWYNN - 35 labourer
Maria - 30
Sarah - 4
Thomas - 2

Baptisms:

1849 : Mary : residence: Poole Green (Lane E) Thomas (occupation: Haulier) christened at Christchurch
1849 : Tryphena : residence: Poole Green, Thomas (occupation: Haulier) christened at Christchurch, buried at Coleford **
1851 : Eliza : residence: Palmers Flat, Thomas (occupation: Hallier) christened at Coleford

1851 Census, Glos, West Dean,

GWYNE

Thomas - 40 - Haullier
Maria - 38
Sarah - 13 **
Thomas - 10
Huburt - 8

Tree is also on Public Members Treet

Thomas GWYNE - and Maria MILES

--

Sarah GWYNN - aged 21, father: Thomas GWYNN (deceased) - Collier

married

Richad SMITH - at Christchurch: 2 October 1859

** says Tryphena died 1850 and Maria (nee MILES) Died August 1853, Palmers Flat, Coleford

Marriage at Newland : 3 March 1832, Thomas GWYNN and Maria MILES

'Hallier' (occupation)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, July 08, 2018, 09:15 (2118 days ago) @ obscurasky

Trawling the BNA for “hallier” produces thousands of hits across the country. Many of them are surnames but a lot are clearly references to an occupation. Some of these latter are associated with mining industries but many more are not and the contexts make it clear that the term was very much interchangeable with “haulier”. The earliest reference is from c1750 and the word was still being used in the late 19C. By the 20C it appears only as a surname.

'Hallier' (occupation)

by Glosnost, Monday, January 10, 2022, 17:05 (836 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

When researching Gaskins ancestors from Gloucestershire I came across the following insolvency notice from 1841:

The Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors Saturday 4the December 1841

Henry Gaskins, late of Bishop's Cleeve-Hill, Gloucestershire, Quarryman and Hallier, an insolvent, No. 57,928 C; Samuel Lediard assignee

Also from Tues January 11th 1842:

THE creditors of Henry Gaskins, formerly of Woodmancott,
and late of Cleeve-hill, in the parish of Bishop's
Cleeve, in the county of Gloucester, Quarryman, Hallier,
Lime Burner, and Dealer in Gravel, a Prisoner in the Gaol
of Gloucester, are requested to meet the assignee of the said
insolvent's estate and effects, on Thursday the 27th day of
January instant, at three o'clock in the afternoon precisely,
at the George Hotel, situate in High-street, Cheltenham

On other records (census, baptism & marriage records around that time) he is always described as a Quarryman or labourer. I can only assume part of the job of a quarryman would be to haul the heavy stone out of the quarries for onward processing but the term "hallier" is used in the legal notices

'Hallier' (occupation)

by obscurasky @, Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 00:56 (835 days ago) @ Glosnost

Thanks for this Glosnost.

From my book, A History of The Fountain Inn at Parkend;

"Hallier is an archaic spelling of the term haulier and was used after 1750, most commonly in areas around Monmouth, to describe a person responsible for hauling coal (and other material) underground; either directly to the surface or to the bottom of a shaft ready for collection. In smaller mines this would have been done manually, but in larger mines the term would have referred to the person in charge of a line of carts being pulled mechanically or by pit pony. Use of the spelling ‘hallier’ would cease by the early-1900’s, but survives to the present day as a surname."

RSS Feed of thread