Meaning of Parish Record fields - Esp Register_Reference (Parish Records)

by AndyRoberts, Monday, August 20, 2018, 22:58 (2069 days ago)

Is there a key or explanation of the codes that are in the Register_Reference field in Parish Record entries in the database. I am interested in the Tidenham parish which has a number of different churches - I was hoping to find out if the code "P333/1 IN 1/17" in the Register_Reference field helps to identify which Church my ancestors were buried at.

Thanks for any help

Andy

Meaning of Parish Record fields - Esp Register_Reference

by May @, Tuesday, August 21, 2018, 00:44 (2069 days ago) @ AndyRoberts

This Register Reference is for the original book at the Gloucester Archives and would be the source of the transcription.

P333 would be the Parish, the /1 would be which of the churches and the 1/17 would refer to the individual document.

You could try putting P333/1 in the search box on the Glos. Archives site and see all the records they have for this church.

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, August 21, 2018, 17:17 (2068 days ago) @ May

If you look at the front page of Register of Burials in the Parish of Tidenham, in the County of Gloucester (on Ancestry)

There is a stamp from the Gloucestershire Records Office top right hand corner and written in the centre of this Stamp Mark is:

P333/1
IN 1/17

The first burial on the next page is 18 December 1853, for Mary HOPKINS of Tidenham

This book has 218 pages and the last burial is around 1957

---

Baptisms from 1837-1864 at Tidenham - Stamp Mark on Page 3 of 112 pages from 1837-1864 : P333/1 IN 1/4

---

Marriages from 1837-1902 at Tidenham - Stamp Mark on Pages 5 & 7 of 268 pages : P333 IN 1/8

'Lovely cover on this marriage book which was produced by : John SMITH, Accompt-Book Manufacturer & Book Binder : 49 Long Acre, London'.

by AndyRoberts, Wednesday, August 22, 2018, 20:32 (2067 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks for the information - I'll have a look at Ancestry tomorrow and hopefully it will give me more of an idea of where my Great Grandparents were buried in the 1940's

Andy

by AndyRoberts, Wednesday, August 22, 2018, 20:30 (2067 days ago) @ May

Thanks for you help, May. I've had a look at the Gloucester Records which has clarified that the document is mostly for Tidenham's main parish Church (but also with entries for a smaller church some distance away) - Since my ancestors lived almost next to the main Church I think they must be buried their, so it's a pity I didn't find them last weekend.

Andy

RSS Feed of thread