Ellicoes Calow pont (General)

by flissie @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 08:38 (2021 days ago)

This appears to have been the location of one of my ancestors Charles Lewis, Does anyone know where this might be please? Ellicoes is a ittle hard to read s it may be slightle different name. Thank you - Flissie

Ellicoes Calow pont

by shepway @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 09:50 (2021 days ago) @ flissie

Could you give us details of the document from which this taken please? Another pair of eyes is always helpful.

Mike

Ellices Callow pont

by flissie @, Monday, October 15, 2018, 05:09 (2020 days ago) @ shepway

https://search.ancestry.com.au/search/db.aspx?dbid=60628 Gloucestershire England Land Tax Records 1713-1833, 1775.
CharlesLewis Residence: Lea
Owner: Ellices Callow Pont Q/REL/1a/4
4th from bottom of page 883
Person above Charles is Richard Onions - Callow Pont.

I am now wondering if Ellices is the owner??
Thanks Flissie

Ellices Callow pont

by flissie @, Monday, October 15, 2018, 05:22 (2020 days ago) @ flissie

I have checked the other Land tax returns and found that in 1779 Charles Lewis paid for McCorricks House, his own house, and Callow Pont. 1782 Walter Ellis, Callow Pont Occupier Charles Lewis and in 1786 Charles Lewis - Lower Leys Tithing.

So it looks like the name could have been Ellis with different spelllng.
which just leaves the Callow Pont (bridge) to find.
I hope this makes sense to you
Thanks
Flissie

Ellices Callow pont

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, October 15, 2018, 20:14 (2019 days ago) @ flissie

Having looked at the image and compared the scribe’s letters I have convinced myself that the third word is not “Pont” but “Pent”. I wonder if this refers to an enclosure called Ellice’s Callow or Callow Pent.

BNA Gloucester Journal - Saturday 22 July 1865

FREEHOLD LAND. TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, By Mr. WALTER MORRIS, At the Bell Inn, Ruardean, on Wednesday, the day of July, 1865, at three o'clock in the afternoon, in two lots, subject to Conditions of Sale ; Lot 1. ALL those valuable Pieces or Parcels of FREEHOLD PASTURE and ARABLE LAND, called respectively The Hops, Lower Hops, and Callow Pent, containing about 10 acres, more or less, situate in the Parish of Ruardean, in the County of Gloucester. This Lot lies on the Turnpike Road leading from Ross, and Walford, to Ruardean, is very compact and convenient for occupation, and adjoins the Estate of John Partridge, Esq. Bishop's Wood, and the Glask Farm, the Property of Messrs. Gillam.

Ellices Callow pont

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 07:54 (2018 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Think you've cracked it Mike. Pent presumably means enclosure or similar (as in pent-up).

Maps show Bishopwood Gate and 'Clasp/Glasp' farm not far from the turnpike road which gives us the general location.

--
Peter

Ellices Callow pont

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Monday, October 15, 2018, 17:55 (2019 days ago) @ flissie

The scans of the document have been assembled backwards which is confusing (image 883 is page 3, image 884 is page 2 and image 885 is page 1). Page 1 states the area is Ruardean not Lea Bailey and there are a couple of places mentioned which confirm that - The Morse and Bishopswood are both at/near Ruardean. So I think that's where Charles Lewis was living.

Seems Ellices is a name. Callow Pont seems to be a place or a building maybe.

--
Peter

Ellicoes Calow pont

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 12:32 (2021 days ago) @ flissie

Looks like it could be Welsh (pont=bridge).

If this is from an English census it could be an English census takers best guess at the spelling of a Welsh name. So Ellicoes could be Ell-y-coed (no such place by the way).

--
Peter

Ellicoes Calow pont

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, October 13, 2018, 18:53 (2021 days ago) @ flissie

If I type this into Ancestry on Census returns - it automatically say, it's in Cornwall.

Eleicoes Callow Pont Cornwall

RSS Feed of thread