cinderford High Street clock (General)

by cheamegham, Saturday, December 15, 2018, 20:43 (1951 days ago)

Hello, I have been told that my great grandfather Richard Sier put the clock up in Cinderford High Street.
I wonder if there is someone who could help me check this out (and possibly have some photos of the clock etc). My great grandfather Richard Sier was shown as a marble mason/mason in business directories of the time. I believe he was born in 1833 in Littledean and died in 1912 so I assume that the clock no longer exists.
My elderly aunt would be thrilled if I could get some information for her so I would appreciate it if you could give me some details of someone I could contact.

Many thanks

cinderford High Street clock

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Saturday, December 15, 2018, 21:32 (1951 days ago) @ cheamegham

There's a picture at

https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Cinderford/Cooperative-Stores.htm

of a clock located in what was the town hall. Would that be the one?

Another one on this site at

https://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/cinderford/pages/page_58.html

--
Peter

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Saturday, December 15, 2018, 21:57 (1951 days ago) @ cheamegham

Gloucestershire Echo - Monday 18 September 1899

Town Improvement.— Cinderfordians in the past have been highly praised for their enterprise in enhancing any good work for the improvement of the town and district, but none of their previous efforts will be more welcomed than the public spirit displayed of the Co-operative Society, who during the last week had had a clock fixed in the front of their buildings at the Town Hall. The clock was supplied Mr W Major, watchmaker, of Cinderford, and gives every satisfaction to the members of the society. The clock is an eight day one, four feet in diameter, and will be illuminated at night until 10 p.m. The only drawback at present existing is that the clock does not strike the hours, and it is confidently hoped that before the new improvement to the town is in general use, that the committee will see fit to add this further addition, and so confer upon the town and district the blessing of possessing the new acquisition of a real town clock, which will be welcomed not only in Cinderford, but by the whole of the inhabitants in the Forest of Dean. A public tea and meeting will shortly be held to celebrate the installation of the new clock.

--
Peter

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 18:57 (1948 days ago) @ cheamegham

These two articles reveal that the clock disappeared for decades but that it still exists in the hands of a private custodian (not named) and is sometimes exhibited. If you can contact this custodian (maybe via the Review?) he may very well have further information about it.

http://www.theforestreview.co.uk/article.cfm?id=104920&headline=Cinderford%20memori...

http://www.theforestreview.co.uk/article.cfm?id=107351&headline=Remembering%20Cinde...

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 01:10 (1941 days ago) @ cheamegham

As Peter says the clock has been exhibited a few times in recent years, and in 2016 there were suggestions it would be incorporated within the old mill building at Steam Mills as part of the Northern Quarter development. This FB post gives some detail as well as photos of the clock, I presume it's author Mark Turner is the same person of that name who's mentioned within the Forest Review articles. I've posted a query on FB about the current situation, altho' others are of course free to ask too if you wish.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2158030327602079&set=p.2158030327602079&...

Spring of this year 2018 demolition and clearance of the general surrounding area took place altho' as far as I'm aware the mill building still stands, as agreed, while surveys are completed.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1291235467614907&set=p.1291235467614907&...

This building was the steam-driven corn mill built c1840 by Timothy Bennett which gave the Steam Mills area it's name. A little more info is carried within the second post in this prior forum thread;
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=44480

I have no idea who owns the clock, or where they reside.

J.

PS I do hope it's ok to post these FB links on the forum, sorry if not, especially given the timing wrt Admin's family time etc. I won't be making a habit of it.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 08:56 (1941 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff,

Your FB links don't work for me. Says content not available.

--
Peter

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 17:17 (1940 days ago) @ probinson

Hi Peter,
thanks for that. Sorry the links didn't work, I can only assume it's because it's a "closed group" ? Despite my successfully driving compooterators and tinterweb for many decades now, it seems that despite my best efforts FB actually drives me, I find it tricky to navigate to say the least, too old I guess haha.

Anyway today I've received replies on the subject and will post anon, and have found another Forest Review link, so in some ways the FB links aren't relevant anymore.

Please also look out for my P.M. to you.

Many thanks again, hope you n yours are enjoying a good Christmas !

J

Cinderford High Street clock, and old DF Mercury newspapers.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 20:28 (1940 days ago) @ Jefff

Further to my earlier post I'm pleased to say I've today chatted with Cinderford Town Councillor Mark Turner who spoke about the clock in the Forest Review newspaper pages posted earlier in this thread. He explained that he started chasing the story of the "lost clock" back in mid 2015. During his searches he went through the records of the Town Council, and has copies of minutes of meetings from 1974 when the Town Hall was demolished. These minutes showed that even then the Council were keen for the clock to be saved and kept on public display, and were writing to various parties to this effect. The minutes referred to it as the "Co-op clock", as they owned the town hall building which they were redeveloping at that time, just as they had owned it since they installed the clock in 1899.
Mr Turner followed many other lines of enquiry, and after drawing several blanks including the Dean Heritage Museum storage units and the Co-op's own historians, the clock face and mechanism was eventually found safe in private hands. Apparently when the clock was removed from the Town Hall it was taken-in by Cinderford St John's Cricket Club with a view to erecting it on their pavilion, but this never happened.
A recent picture of the face is here
http://www.theforestreview.co.uk/article.cfm?id=712&headline=Time%20machine%20for%2...

I'm very pleased to report that the clock is now owned by Cinderford Town Council. The face is on display in the reception of the old Council Offices building at St Annals House, Cinderford. The whole mechanism is considered by experts to be in fantastic condition and shouldn't be too difficult to get running again.

The Town Council have also recently acquired the old HSBC (ex Midland) Bank building in the town centre, lock stock and vaulted barrel. It's Mr Turner's desire that after restoration the clock will be erected there, which seems an excellent idea. The building also holds the large set of bound volumes of original copies of the Dean Forest Mercury newspapers acquired when their Cinderford office was closed a few months ago, it is intended that these will eventually be made available to the public and of course historians and FH researchers, until then they are safely locked in the bank's massive vault !
See
http://www.theforester.co.uk/article.cfm?id=105060&headline=Cinderford+council+bid+...

I will now make enquiries about those who erected the old town hall building and it's clock such as mason Richard Sier.

Building of Cinderford (East Dean) new Town Hall c1867

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 03:29 (1884 days ago) @ Jefff

I've been trying to find out who built Cinderford Town Hall, and despite not having a current subscription have been searching the BNA old newspapers site. As far as I can tell the idea was first proposed in 1867, I wonder if this was a reaction to the fact that Coleford's new Town Hall had been opened earlier that same year...

My BNA hits are as follows, I'm sure there are more to be found;

FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT
... point on Saturday last. public meeting was held on the first for the purpose considering the desirability of a proposed Town Hall and Market House. The meeting room was orowded to excess. Edwin Crawshay, Eaq. was called upon to take the chair. In the ...
Gloucester Journal: Saturday 29 June 1867

It seems the town was very keen to go ahead with the project, please if anyone has a BNA subscription perhaps they could please find this article in full, to hopefully give a clue as to the company chosen to actually build it.

FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT
Cinderford.— The following tenders were received for the erection of the Town-Hall and Market- House, Cinderford, for the East Dean Town-Hall and Market Company : Coleman (Chaxhill), 3,0002. ; Clutterbuck (Gloucester, ...
Gloucester Journal: Saturday 10 August 1867

As far as I can gather work started fairly soon afterwards, it reportedly took 2 years to build, not helped by a blaze in 1869 which apparently had to be attended by the Coleford Fire Brigade as Cinderford didn't then have it's own !. I obtained this info from the British Victoria History website, which led me to find it was indeed on the BNA archive too;

FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT
Fire Cinderford. — On Saturday night the new Town Hall, which has been in the course of construction nearly two years, was discovered soon after midnight...
Gloucester Journal: Saturday 23 January 1869

It's a struggle to find all the articles which were presumably written, especially as the phrase Town Hall is sometimes hyphenated, and "East Dean" is sometimes used instead of "Cinderford". I'm very surprised I cannot find anything about what I imagine was a grand event to mark the Hall's opening, which was presumably around June or July 1869 ??.

CINDERFORD. —
The new branch of the Gloucestershire Banking Company will be opened at the offices in the Townhall, Cinderford, next Monday. Tar EAST DEAN TOWNHALL AND MARKET COMPANY.— A meeting ...
Gloucestershire Chronicle: Saturday 19 June 1869

Or maybe this is the offical announcement of the opening ?

FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT.
Cinderford. — The inhabitants of this rapidly rising part of the Forest of Dean have recently built a most substantial Town-hall and Market-place, to meet their growing wants. A few days since Mr. Blewett, the lessee, issued an ...
Gloucester Journal: Saturday 9 October 1869

I cannot find any more newspaper mentions until late 1869, when there are mentions of various concerts etc, plus what appears to be a regular advert stating;

CINDERFORD. -
NEW TOWN HALL
THIS large and elegant Building, replete with every convenience, is the only one in the district suitable for PUBLIC MEETINGS, MATINEES, SOIREES, CONCERTS, LECTURES, BALLS, AUCTIONS, .. For terms apply to the Lessee, Thomas ...
Published: Saturday 27 November 1869 Newspaper: Gloucestershire Chronicle

So, if anyone can please help shed some more information, or perhaps find these articles in full especially anything regarding the builders, I'd be very grateful.
Thankyou.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 08:16 (1884 days ago) @ Jefff

BNA Gloucester Journal - Saturday 10 August 1867

FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT.
Cinderford.—The following tenders were received for the erection of the Town-Hall and Market- House, Cinderford, for the East Dean Town-Hall and Market Company : Coleman (Chaxhill), 3,000l. ; Clutterbuck (Gloucester,) 2,400l. ; Durke (Cardiff), 2,220l. The tender of Mr. Durke was accepted.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 09:00 (1884 days ago) @ Jefff

Always worth checking the Welsh newspapers site, which is free, as the Welsh newspapers often picked up stories from the Forest. The article about the fire is in the Monmouthshire merlin.

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3438191/3438194/12/

--
Peter

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 09:04 (1884 days ago) @ probinson

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 17:28 (1883 days ago) @ probinson

Thanks very much gents, and yes I should have looked on the Welsh site, but in my defence it was late ;)

Mr Durke of Cardiff eh ?.

Re the financial problems, thanks Peter, that may explain why I saw mentions of shareholders meeting and suchlike. It also confirms it was indeed a Mr Flewitt who came to the rescue, and not Blewitt which I misread it as last night, thanks. (Although of course these various papers shared stories, so if just one reporter misheard something, then that error would be repeated. That said the FoD PRs does include ONE for a Flewitt, and at abt this same time, so not an impossible name !). Another step on the trail.

These reports all helps explain why it took 2 years to build, maybe they stopped work for a while ? And WHAT was the builder's conduct ?.... Was the fire accidental ?.

So given the distances it's likely Mr Durke would employ local workers too, especially for the special-ised "fiddly" bits perhaps ?

More to come, thanks again !

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, February 21, 2019, 20:50 (1883 days ago) @ Jefff

I can see a couple of DURKs either in Cardiff or who became associated with it and who could have been the ones involved with the work in Cinderford. There are quite a few newspaper references to suits against Frederick in particular who seems to have been reluctant to pay wages.

GR 1861 Census, Cardiff
William K DURK, Head, Mar, 24, Builder, b. Taunton, Somerset

GR 1871 Census, Bristol, Fishponds, Ridgeway
Frederick DURK, Head, Mar, 38, Builder and Brickmaker, Somerset, Taunton
+wife, five children and a servant

Gr 1891 Census, Cardiff, Nelson Terrace
In the household of John WIGGINS, 46, Coal Tipper
Frederick DURKE, Visitor, Mar, 58, Builder, Somerset, Taunton

I imagine they were brothers,

GR 1851 Census, Taunton, Shoreditch

Henry DURK, Head, Mar, Carpenter, Master, employing ?? men, Somerset, Orchard Portman
Frederick, Son, Un, 18, Carpenter, Somerset, Taunton
William, Son, Un, 14, Carpenter, Somerset, Taunton
+ wife and nine other children

The notice of Frederick’s bankruptcy (published 23 Feb 1869) shows that he was resident in Newnham at least for a while.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/23471/page/941

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, February 22, 2019, 00:09 (1883 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you kindly sir, saved me some work. I wonder who took over the job after Frederick Durke was declared bankrupt. Not that this seemed to stop him trading, or at least calling himself a builder on subsequent census returns.

I guess this is what they might possibly have expected if accepting the cheapest bid ?.

The Gazette article makes interesting reading, the fact that he appeared to have lived in so many different places MAY suggest he was of dubious nature, or does it just mean he moved around from job to job ?

Just to fill in a couple of gaps, one hopes he'd learnt to pay his workforce by 1881 ¬

1881 Oldbarum Rd, Ilfracombe, Devon, England
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Frederick Durke Head M 47 Builder Employing 84 Men & Boys. Taunton, Somerset, England
Emma E Durke Wife F 48 Downhead, Somerset, England
Annie A Durke Daughter F 25 Stoke St Mary, Somerset, England
Alice E Durke Daughter F 22 Burnham, Somerset, England
Walter P Durke Son M 18 Newland, Gloucestershire, England
Elizabeth H Durke Daughter F 13 Cardiff, Glamorganshire, Wales
Rose E Durke Daughter F 11 Newport, Monmouthshire, England

So it seems that he was resident in the Forest for a while before he took the Town Hall contract;

Record_ID: 395907
Entry_Number: 1755
Year: 1862
Month: Oct
Day: 13
Parents_Surname: DURKE
Child_Forenames: Walter Perret
Fathers_Forenames: Frederick
Mothers_Forenames: Emma Elizabeth
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Whitecliff
Officiating_Minister: S.C.Morgan Curate
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/6
Page_Number: 220
Parish_Chapel: Newland
Soundex: D620

Birth Details
Child Surname Child Forename Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
DURKE Walter Perrett PERRETT 1862 Forest of Dean Monmouth, Coleford 18 144

Walt didn't stay in the FoD, or apparently in the building trade;

1891 Ferry Side, Swansea Town And Franchise, Glamorganshire.
Frederick Wm Gunning Head M 32 Wiltshire, England
Elizabeth Hill Gunning Wife F 23 Glamorganshire, England
Walter Wm Gunning Son M 3 Devonshire, England
Albert Victor Gunning Son M 0 Swansea, Glamorganshire, England
Walter Parrett Durke Brother In Law M 28 Licenced Victualler. Gloucestershire, England
Sarah Ann Price Servant F 20 Glamorganshire, England

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1914
Durke Walter P Trenchard Cardiff 11a 517
Trenchard Agnes H Durke Cardiff 11a 517

Deaths Dec 1927 (>99%)
Durke Walter P 60 Neath 11a 872

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
Deaths Mar 1940 (>99%)
Durke Agnes H 81 Neath 11a 1824

---

Another family member also in the Newnham area at that time;

Record_ID: 214644
Entry_Number: 147
Year: 1862
Month: May
Day: 22
Grooms_Surname: DURKE
Grooms_Forenames: John
Grooms_Age: Full Age
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Carpenter
Grooms_Residence: Woolaston
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Durke
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Henry
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Builder
Brides_Surname: HIGGS
Brides_Forenames: Mary Anne
Brides_Age: 20
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: [not stated]
Brides_Residence: Woolaston
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Higgs
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: James
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Shop keeper
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both Sign
Witness_1: [illegible]sak Durke
Witness_2: Emma E Durke
Other_Witnesses: Samuel Hurcombe Mary Higgs
Officiating_Minister: N Mathew Thomas Curate
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P376 IN 1/12
Page_Number: 74
Parish_Chapel: Woolaston
Soundex_Groom: D620
Soundex_Bride: H200

One of the witnesses is Frederick's wife Emma, I suspect Fred is the other witness.

Interesting to find this John Durke then became a policeman !

Record_ID: 16525
Entry_Number: 179
Year: 1866
Month: May
Day: 28
Parents_Surname: DURKE
Child_Forenames: Annie Maria
Fathers_Forenames: John
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Ashelworth
Officiating_Minister: G A Jackson Off[iciating] Minister
Memoranda:
Notes: In this record a surname was not clear so the best guess was given
Register_Reference: P20 IN 1/4
Page_Number: 23
Parish_Chapel: Ashleworth
Soundex: D620

---------

Back to builder Frederick,

1901 Bishopsworth, Somersetshire, England
Frederick Durke Head M 68 Builder. Taunton, Somersetshire
Emma Elizabeth Durke Wife F 69 Downhead, Somersetshire
Emily Maud Durke Daughter F 24 Yeovil, Somersetshire
Emma E P Durke Grand Child F 4 Cardiffs, Glamorganshire

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1853
Durk Frederick Frome 5c 1043
Perret Emma Elizabeth Frome 5c 1043

Deaths Dec 1904
DURKE Frederick 71 Cardiff 11a 240

Deaths Mar 1905
DURKE Emma Elizabeth 72 Cardiff 11a 276

Fire at Cinderford Town Hall - PC Critchley & Mr Hoskold.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, February 23, 2019, 00:51 (1882 days ago) @ Jefff

Was the fire accidental ?.

given the distances it's likely Mr Durke would employ local workers too ?

Here's the report on the Town Hall fire, sadly it seems it may not have been accidental...

CINDERFORD.
PARTIAL DESTRUCTION OF THE NEW TOWN-HALL BY FIRE. -
This new hall, which has been in the course of construction nearly two years, was discovered soon after midnight on Saturday to be on fire. The discovery was made by P.C.'s Critchley and Cole, who at once raised an alarm, and succeeded in getting together 200 or 200 persons, who were quickly organised in two companies. The seat of the fire was ascertained to be in a small chamber on the second floor. Mr James White was despatched to Coleford for the new fire engine and staff. To protect the principal hall was the main object of those who took a leading part in extinguishing the fire, and by a determined effort this was done. Whilst the men were throwing water on the flames, the upper floor fell in with a heavy crash and soon afterwards the roof followed. The estimated cost of the damage is upwards of £ 300, and Mr Marfell, who is finishing the joinery work, will be a sufferer, the whole of his workmen's tools, benches, &c., having been burnt. It was not until six o'clock that the fire brigade reached the spot, by which time the fire was subdued. The building is believed to be uninsured, and the loss will therefore fall upon the shareholders, several of whom are working-men. Mr Hoskold thinks the fire must have been a wilful act.

Monmouthshire Merlin
23rd January 1869

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3438191/3438194/12/trugg%20cinderford

Regarding the mention of the Police Constables, and also the lack of a fire brigade in Cinderford, the British History site says;

"The county police authority opened stations in several places in the Forest in the mid 19th century. A police station at Littledean Hill in 1869 moved to a new building in Cinderford town centre in 1877.

Cinderford had no fire service in 1869 when a blaze at the town hall, then under construction, was attended by the Coleford fire brigade. East Dean and United Parishes rural district council provided fire-fighting equipment for the town and for Ruspidge and Drybrook in 1895 but there was no regular fire brigade in Cinderford until after 1923. A fire station in Belle Vue Road, built by the county fire service in the mid 1960s, was replaced by a new station in Valley Road in 1987."

---

I've tried searching the PRs etc for PC Critchley, but no obvious references to him. He was mentioned in another forum post which shows he's become a Sergeant by 1875.

Searching the Glos Police Archives suggest this is him; so not a Forester.

List of Police Officers - 1860 - 1869

Warrant Joined Name Age Height Occupation Where born Highest rank Reason for leaving Force
2168. 9-10-1868. CRITCHLEY Charles. 19. 5ft 8 1/4. Gardner. Barton St Mary, Gloucester, Glos. Sergeant 1-7-1875. Superannuated 1-1-1889 on 1/8d per day.

I cannot find a PC Cole in the records.

---

I cannot find any suggestion of a "Mr Hoskold" in the PRs, but I can find one Hoskold living in Cinderford in the Census', so think this is him. I assume he was consulted as an adviser or even overseer on the ongoing building work.

1871 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Henry D Hoskold Head M 39 Mining Civil Engineer. Surrey
William Hewlett Boarder M 19 Mining Civil Engineer. East Dean, Gloucestershire
Fanny Hewlett Visitor F 21 East Dean, Gloucestershire
John Rodway Ostler M 18 East Dean, Gloucestershire

FamilySearch shows that Henry Davis Hoskold born 1843 emigrated to Argentina in 1893, where he lived until his death in 1905. He wrote books about mining engineering, land & railway surveying etc, which are still in print. Oddly I cannot find any more records for him.

Fire at Cinderford Town Hall - Mr Marfell, carpenter

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, February 23, 2019, 02:12 (1882 days ago) @ Jefff

Re the newspaper report of the Town Hall fire in 1869, and "Mr Marfell, who is finishing the joinery work, will be a sufferer, the whole of his workmen's tools, benches, &c., having been burnt."

Marfell is not a rare name in the area, so which is he, maybe ??
This site's PRs has;

Record ID 132727
Entry Number 661
Year 1862
Month Dec
Day 31
Grooms Surname MARFELL
Grooms Forenames John Morton
Grooms Age full age
Groom Condition Widower
Grooms Occupation Carpenter

Grooms Residence Mitcheldean
Grooms Fathers Surname MARFELL
Grooms Fathers Forenames Edward
Grooms Fathers Occupation Butcher
Brides Surname WILCE
Brides Forenames Elizabeth Ann
Brides Age full age
Brides Condition Spinster
Brides Occupation [not stated]
Brides Residence Mitcheldean
Brides Fathers Surname WILCE
Brides Fathers Forenames Richard
Brides Fathers Occupation Stone Cutter
Licence or Banns Banns
Date of Banns [not stated]
Signature or Mark Both sign
Witness 1 Edward Humphrey Marfell [?]
Witness 2 George Marfell
Other Witnesses
Officiating Minister Charles G Dighton Rector
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference P220 IN 1/8
Page Number 38
Parish Chapel Mitcheldean
Soundex Groom M614
Soundex Bride W420

He was still living in Cinderford just after the Hall was finished.

Benjamin Meadows Head M 37 Coal miner. Longley, Gloucestershire
James Meadows Son M 12 Monmouthshire
Clara Meadows Daughter F 9 Lindford, Gloucestershire
William Meadows Son M 4 Lindford, Gloucestershire
Miriam Meadows Daughter F 1 Lindford, Gloucestershire
Fanny Bromham Visitor F 56 Lynton, Devonshire
John M Marfell Visitor M 42 Carpenter. Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth A Marfell Visitor F 32 East Dean, Gloucestershire

But sadly;

Record_ID: 221203
Entry_Number:
Year: 1871
Month: Aug
Day: 12
Surname: MARFELL
Forenames: Elizabeth Ann
Residence:
Age_at_death: 33
Officiating_Minister: Joseph Lander
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: D6026 8/1
Page_No: 87
Parish_Chapel: Mitcheldean Congregational
Soundex: M614

Then widower John appeared to have moved to Swindon, Highworth for a while

Marriages Sep 1874
Bizley Henry Highworth 5a 11
Eaton Edith Highworth 5a 11
MARFELL John Morton Highworth 5a 11
Sawyer Sarah Elizabeth Highworth 5a 11

1881 North Street, Highworth, Swindon, Wiltshire, England
John Marfell Head M 49 Carpenter, Michell Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Julia Marfell Daughter F 17 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Thomas Marfell Son M 14 Errand boy. Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England
Charles Wood Lodger M 19 Labourer In A Foundry (Iron).Newnham, Gloucestershire, England
George Turtell Lodger M 18 Labourer In A Foundry (Iron).Inglesham, Wiltshire, England

But he came back to Cinderford;

Record ID 89324
Entry Number 325
Year 1887
Month Aug
Day 7
Parents Surname MARFELL
Child Forenames Annie Elizabeth
Fathers Forenames John
Mothers Forenames Elizabeth Ann
Mothers Surname
Residence Woodside
Occupation Carpenter
Officiating Minister C. W. Houlston
Event Baptism
Memoranda [illegible]
Notes Adult. Mother marked as deceased.
Register Reference P85/2IN 1/1
Page Number 41
Parish Chapel Cinderford St Stephen
Soundex M614

Record_ID: 93891
Entry_Number: 750
Year: 1895
Month: Jun
Day: 12
Forenames: John Morton
Residence: Upper Bilson
Age_at_death: 68
Officiating_Minister: A.G. Gregor Curate
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P109 IN 1/13
Page_No: 94
Parish_Chapel: Drybrook

----------------

Marriages Jun 1859
Bivand Joseph Worcester 6c 413
Green Emma Worcester 6c 413
Marfell John Morton Worcester 6c 413
Parry Caroline Worcester 6c 413

1851 Millen Street, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England
Edward Marfell Head M 46 Labourer At Coal Mine. Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Jane Susanna Marfell Wife F 47 Dymock, Gloucestershire
John Morton Marfell Son M 22 Carpenter.Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Ellen D Marfell Daughter F 19 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Jemima Marfell Daughter F 14 Aston Ingham, Herefordshire
Ann Marfell Daughter F 12 Aston Ingham, Herefordshire
George Marfell Son M 7 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire
Julia Cummins Marfell Daughter F 3 Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire

1841 Old George House, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, England
Edward Marfell M 35-39 Gloucestershire
Jane Susana Marfell F 35-39 Gloucestershire
John Morton Marfell M 12 Gloucestershire
Ellen Drinkwater Marfell F 10 Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Marfell F 8 Gloucestershire
Jemima Marfell F 5
Ann Marfell F 2

Record_ID: 321250
Entry_Number: 376
Year: 1828
Month: Sep
Day: 28
Parents_Surname: MARFELL
Child_Forenames: John Morton
Fathers_Forenames: Edward
Mothers_Forenames: Jane Susanna
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Mitchel Dean
Officiating_Minister: Heathfield Hickes Curate
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P 220 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 47
Parish_Chapel: Mitcheldean

Mr Marfell, carpenter => Basil Marfell, WF Giles, builders ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, February 23, 2019, 03:11 (1882 days ago) @ Jefff

I wonder if Mr Marfell of the Town hall is an ancestor of Basil Marfell, who spent many years working for Cinderford building firm WF Giles, who built the whole Ranks factory at Mitcheldean, and were still used on smaller building projects when I was there in the early 80s and met Basil who I think was manager of the firm by then ?.

He's on this pic of a Giles' outing in abt 1948
https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Cinderford-Glos/giles_blackpool_outing.html

And helped write this detailed description of their work at Ranks.
https://memoriesofrxmp.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/W-F-Giles-Rank-Xerox.pdf

This prior thread details the W.F.Giles family
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=379

-----

Basil was born into the building & decorating business, and in Mitcheldean, so he could indeed be related to John Morton Marfell.

Record_ID: 322911
Entry_Number: 435
Year: 1918
Day: 17
Child_Forenames: Basil Winston
Fathers_Forenames: Aaron George
Mothers_Forenames: Annie Louisa
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Drybrook Godparents S. Shapcott Emily Pember
Officiating_Minister: Curt Becher
Memoranda: Born Aug 25 1918
Notes:
Register_Reference: P220 IN 1/14
Page_Number: 55

And married the daughter of W.F.Giles himself;

Record_ID: 35737
Entry_Number: 238
Year: 1942
Month: Apr
Day: 6
Grooms_Surname: MARFELL
Grooms_Forenames: Basil Winston
Grooms_Age: 23
Groom_Condition: Batchelor
Grooms_Occupation: L A C R[oyal] A[ir] F[orce]
Grooms_Residence: Drybrook
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Marfell
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Aaran George Miles
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Retired
Brides_Surname: GILES
Brides_Forenames: Dorothy May
Brides_Age: 19
Brides_Occupation: Hairdresser
Brides_Residence: 9 St Annals Road Cinderford
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Giles
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: Wilfred Frank Eugene
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Builder & Contractor

Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both sign
Witness_1: Alfred F E Giles
Witness_2: Aaran G M Marfell
Other_Witnesses: Victor P Marfell
Officiating_Minister: Frank N Wilkes Vicar
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/2 IN 1/8
Page_Number: 119
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St Stephen
Soundex_Groom: M614
Soundex_Bride: G420

--------------------------

Basil's parents;

Record_ID: 121324
Entry_Number: 326
Year: 1911
Day: 5
Grooms_Surname: MARFELL
Grooms_Forenames: Aaron George
Grooms_Age: 36
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation: Decorator
Grooms_Residence: Drybrook
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: MARFELL
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: John
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Builder

Brides_Surname: MARSHALL
Brides_Forenames: Annie Louise
Brides_Age: 31
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Lydbrook
Brides_Fathers_Surname: MARSHALL
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: Henry
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Collier
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: both sign
Witness_1: William Marfell
Witness_2: Elizabeth Maud Mann
Other_Witnesses: Henry Marshall
Officiating_Minister: F W Bidwell
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P208 IN 1/5
Page_Number: 163
Parish_Chapel: Lydbrook
Soundex_Groom: M614
Soundex_Bride: M624

Record_ID: 166454
Entry_Number: 673
Year: 1875
Month: Jan
Day: 9
Child_Forenames: Aaron George Miles
Fathers_Forenames: John
Mothers_Forenames: Tryphena
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Ruardean Gloucester[shire]
Officiating_Minister: John Kerneys
Memoranda: [Baptised at] Parents House
Notes: Page Number not stated but is after page 108 in Entry Number order
Register_Reference: D2598 5/4
Page_Number: 0
Parish_Chapel: Forest of Dean Bible Christian

1881 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
John Marfell Head M 45 House Painter.East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Tryphena Marfell Wife F 36 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England
Timothy Marfell Son M 18 House Painter. Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England
Mary Marfell Daughter F 16 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England
Annie Marfell Daughter F 11 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England
John Marfell Son M 10 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England
Aaron Marfell Son M 7 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England
William Marfell Son M 2 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Mary Marfell Daughter F 0 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England

Marriages Sep 1859
Marfell John Pontypool 11a 163
Wadley Tryphena Pontypool 11a 163

Struggling to find them in earlier Census' - to find John's own parents.

Record_ID: 94926
Entry_Number: 197
Year: 1911
Month: Mar
Day: 11
Forenames: Tryphena
Residence: Drybrook
Age_at_death: 67 years
Officiating_Minister: James Lawton Vicar
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P109 IN 1/14
Page_No: 25

Record_ID: 93565
Entry_Number: 424
Year: 1891
Day: 6
Forenames: John
Residence: Drybrook
Age_at_death: 58
Officiating_Minister: William Barker Vicar
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P109 IN 1/13
Page_No: 53

So born abt 1833, this seems likely;

Name Aaron Marfell
Spouse's Name Sarah Constance
Event Date 04 Mar 1832
Event Place St. Mary-De-Lode'S Church, Gloucester, Gloucester, England

Record_ID: 321328
Entry_Number: 454
Year: 1832
Day: 9
Child_Forenames: John
Fathers_Forenames: Aaron
Mothers_Forenames: Sarah
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Dishes Brook Forest of Dean
Officiating_Minister: George Cox Curate
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P 220 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 57

So Basil Marfell's descended from John Marfell born 1832 in Mitcheldean area, but NOT the possible Town Hall carpenter John Morton Marfell who was also born abt then, and in same area !?

Mr Marfell, carpenter => Basil Marfell, WF Giles, builders ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, February 23, 2019, 03:56 (1882 days ago) @ Jefff

1841 Drybrook, Dean Forest, Gloucestershire, England
Aaron Marfell M 29-33 Gloucestershire
Sarah Marfell F 32-36 Gloucestershire
Charlotte Constant Marfell F 7 Gloucestershire
William Marfell M 5 Gloucestershire
Timmothy Marfell M 3 Gloucestershire
Sarah Ann Marfell F 1 Gloucestershire
George Marfell M 0 Gloucestershire
James Atton M 17-21 Gloucestershire
Margrett Baldwin F 15-19 Gloucestershire