Finding the roots of Henry Whitson (General)

by peterwhitson68, Saturday, January 05, 2019, 21:50 (1927 days ago)

My name is Peter Whitson. I started investigating my Whitson roots in the mid-1990s. I have found that my 8th great grandfather Henry Whitson (d. 1669, Huntington, Colony of New York in what was to be the United States)is said to have been born in England. To date no one has been able to determine where in that country. To assist in finding our roots I have been genetically tested (Y-DNA test) and have found that my terminal single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) is R-S23139.
With this note I seek male Whitsons who have a oral/written history of descending from the Whitson family from The Forest of Dean who may have been the roots for both John and Christopher Whitson who were both High Sheriff and Mayor of Bristol and whose biographies suggest west Gloucestershire origin. Ideally, I would find a male Whitson who has taken a similar Y-DNA test and compare results. If I can find a Male Whitson without testing whose family history suggests Forest of Dean area origin (Newland/Coalfield region) I would entertain paying to have that individual's Y-DNA evaluated.
Thanks for your attention. I look forward to any and all replies to this message.

Pete Whitson
Taylors, South Carolina
USA

WHITSON/WHITSTONE/WHYSTON etc

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, January 06, 2019, 09:00 (1927 days ago) @ peterwhitson68

?

Family names were/are very often carried on through generations, therefore what names did Henry give his children and do you know his occupation.

Looking at the early records on this site - the surname was also spelt WHYTSON or even some WIXTON etc

There is a Will at the Gloucestershire Records Office and also on Ancestry of William WHITSON, of St Briavels - 1722 - who was a Mariner. (Mentions his Kingsman, Christopher WHITSON)

Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608 (which is searchable on the net) lists 20,000 men able to fight.

Quick look for Newland

Edward WHITSTONE - tanner - unable in body and John SLED joiner have between them one corslet furnished.

Burial at Newland, 3 December 1612

Edward WHYSTON

Also baptism at Newland 22 February 1692 of Michael WHISTON

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, January 06, 2019, 10:45 (1927 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Henry WHITSON's background is available on the 'net'

He married Rebecca FOSTER - b 1630 Ewell, Surrey and they had one Son, Thomas WHITSON , b 20 August 1652, Hempstead, Queens Co. New York.

Henry WHITSON was a resident of Hempstead, Long Island in 1647. Descendants : Quakers

If you look at naming patterns 1700-1875 period

The first son was named after the father's father
The second son was named after the mother's father
The third son was named after the father
The fourth son was named after the father's eldest brother
The first daughter after the mother's mother
The second daughter after the father's mother
The third daughter after the mother
The fourth daughter after the mother's eldest sister

by peterwhitson68, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 18:30 (1783 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you.

by peterwhitson68, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 19:17 (1783 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Henry and Rebecca had one child, a son, Thomas (1652-1742). Thomas married Martha Jones. They had four sons; Thomas-1689, John-1697, Favid-1701 and Henry-1705.

by peterwhitson68, Saturday, January 19, 2019, 21:37 (1913 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

I have found mention of tanner Edward Whitson of Newland From another source. In 1587 he was said to have taken a load of hides to a French ship in the Kingsroad, on the Bristol Channel, that provoked a confrontation with Bristol merchants. I will follow up on Edward. Thanks for the lead.

Pete

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, January 21, 2019, 15:34 (1912 days ago) @ peterwhitson68

Just in case you don't already have this detail Peter;

"In 1608 the muster for Newland tithing (which comprised the Newland village area and the Redbrook valleys) included 26 tradesmen and craftsmen. There were five tanners, most probably working tanneries on Valley brook near Newland village, where they were conveniently placed for the Bristol trade by means of the Wye and for a supply of bark from the Forest woodlands. In 1587 a Newland tanner, Edward Whitson, took a cargo of calfskins from Brockweir to put on board a French ship in the Kingsroad, in the Bristol Channel, provoking a violent confrontation with Bristol merchants who claimed a monopoly of the export of calfskins.(fn. 559)"

From https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp195-231#anchorn559

Reference fn.559 is given as page 121 of "Adams's Chronical of Bristol", ed. F. F. Fox (Bristol, 1910). This whole book may be read online, and contains more interesting detail of this event, as may be seen here.
https://archive.org/details/adamsschronicleo00adamuoft/page/121

Alternatively, here is the full text;

"This year in July 1587 near about St James fair Mr Thomas James
and many other merchants of Bristoll, having obtained letters patents
from our Queene for the sole transportation of calf-skins, and having
intelligence that a woodbush of Brockwere was loaden with calfskins
by Edward Whitson of Newland in the county of Glowcester, tanner, to
be shipped aboard a French ship called the Esperanso in Kingrode,
without compounding with the merchants for the same transporting
or of paying any other custom : whereupon Mr James, Thomas White,
John Brimsdone, merchants, and others to the number of 13 went from
hence in the searcher's pinnace, having one musket, half pikes, and some
other offensive weapons, to meet the said woodboush and to make seisure
and forfeit of the said goods prohibited. The forest men were bold, and
suspecting blows might happen, ye said Edward Whitson, with Walter
Ely and others to the number of 11, had well fitted themselves with
bows and arrows, pikes, targets and privy coats, stronger than our men
for offence and defence. They met in Kingrode, resisted and shot
arrows at the pinnace, whereof Mr Thomas White and others were
hurt : but our men being hurt and so moved in their own defence, a
musket was shot off (supposed) from Mr James, which killed John
Gethen, master and owner of the boat, for which the 2 sheriffs troubled
him and seized upon his goods and others' that were with Mr James.
But Mr James himself was indicted and arraigned at the Marshalsie in
Sowthworke, and when no man gave evidence against him he was
released as not guilty ; but it cost him much besides his trouble. Thomas
Kedgwin wrote otherwise, but I knew the business better than he."

https://archive.org/stream/adamsschronicleo00adamuoft/adamsschronicleo00adamuoft_djvu.txt

-----

The ELY (aka Elley etc) surname is prominent in my ASTON brother-in-law's tree, especially as coal miners and mine owners in the Coleford area since the 1800s, but I haven't yet traced the line further back. So I'm very pleased to see the mention of Walter Ely, could this be him I wonder ?

Record_ID: 382719
Entry_Number:
Year: 1591
Month: Oct
Day: 6
Parents_Surname: ELY
Child_Forenames: Anthony
Fathers_Forenames: Walter
Mothers_Forenames:
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: of Redbroke
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes: Athanarmo in latin best transcription given
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/1
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Newland
Soundex: E400

Record_ID: 255302
Entry_Number:
Year: 1593
Month: Jan
Day: 22
Surname: ELLY
Forenames: Walter
Residence: of Redbroke
Age_at_death:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes: Old style date 1592/93
Register_Reference: P227 IN 1/1
Page_No:
Parish_Chapel: Newland
Soundex: E400

---

I cannot find this John Gethin within the FoD PRs, altho other John Gethins (with spelling variations) may be found in English Bicknor PRs of that era.

Similarly I cannot find any online references or definition of the boat used by the Forester's, I'd love to know what a "woodboush" was ?.

Thanks Peter for your very interesting post !

J

by peterwhitson68, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 18:29 (1783 days ago) @ Jefff

Thank you Jeff.

RSS Feed of thread