HOARE, Fanny Jane (previously LANE). Bream Chapel (General)

by chrislane, Monday, May 27, 2019, 10:07 (1789 days ago)

Hi all

I have a previous post relating to my grandmother, Fanny Jane HOARE (previously LANE). With your help I know she was buried on the 29 Jan 1963 and the burial service was at Bream Chapel, Whitecroft Rd.

Google street view and other research shows that this is now a private dwelling. I'm trying to find out whether she would have been buried in the Chapeel grounds, or whether burials took place elsewhere, and if so where? I'm also trying to find out if there's a possibility of the grave still existing if she was buried elsewhere.

I'd be grateful for any help you could give me with this.

As always, many thanks for your time and expertise.

Chris Lane

HOARE, Fanny Jane (previously LANE). Bream Chapel

by alison2 @, Monday, May 27, 2019, 11:23 (1789 days ago) @ chrislane

It maybe worth looking in St James Churchyard at Bream I have found members of my family tree whose funerals were at the chapel buried there.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, May 27, 2019, 23:01 (1789 days ago) @ alison2

Hi Chris,
I think you're making the same mistake I made when joining this forum, and that you've seen the word "Chapel" used in the burial record and assumed it was a non-conformist chapel and not a C of E church.

I've just re-read your prior post and specifically the reply giving Fanny Jane Hoare's Burial Record and I can't see a mention of Whitecroft Road.
https://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=50384

For clarity, the burial record is:

Record_ID: 33688
Entry_Number: 380
Year: 1963
Month: Jan
Day: 29
Surname: HOARE
Forenames: Frances Jane
Residence: Royal Oak The Pludds Ruardean
Age_at_death: 80
Officiating_Minister: P.Walton Vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes: In this record given name listed as Fanny guess at Frances
Register_Reference: P57 IN 1/19
Page_No: 48
Parish_Chapel: Bream
Soundex: H600

The exact same place is mentioned in other family bural records.

In spite of that place being described as "Chapel", it actually refers to the local Church of England building, which in this case is Bream St James church as already suggested by Alison. The word "Chapels" is used in the PRs Database as a "catch-all" for both "Parish Churches and Non-Conformist Chapels", and any cases that differ from this are highlighted within the transcription of the PR concerned.

This subject arose a few months ago, and here is Admin's comment which clarifies the way the PRs are presented: https://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=50535

If you revisit the Burial PRs search engine, and open the drop-down menu part labelled "Parish/Chapel" to give the long list of all the possible locations, you'll only find one under "Bream". This shows that these records all relates to Bream St James - by comparison for nearby Clearwell you'll find two options; Clearwell (church) and Clearwell Methodist.
https://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php/parish-records-search

I hope this helps, and you are able to find your ancestors at Bream St James churchyard.

The Monumental Inscriptions for Bream are recorded on this cd available from Glos FHS. It's possible it may also have a plan of the cemetery.
http://gfhs.org.uk/products-page/cddvd/m-i-s/bream-monumental-inscriptions-2/

https://www.forestofdeanhistory.org.uk/resources/sites-in-the-forest/st-james-church-br...
https://forest-of-dean.net/gallery/bream/pages/page_16.html

by HarryBrook @, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 06:24 (1787 days ago) @ Jefff

Bream (St. James) Churchyard - Grave ref: B119

Description: Kerbs and vase

Memorial Inscription:

Side 1

IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY DEAR HUSBAND CHARLES W. HOARE
DIED JULY 12. 1955 AGED 69 YEARS

Side 2

ALSO OF FANNY JANE HOARE HIS BELOVED WIFE
DIED JAN 26. 1963 AGED 80 YEARS

Side 3

AT REST

Pot or Vase

IN LOVING
MEMORY
FROM HIS
STEPCHILDREN
& GRANDCHILDREN

Edit to add: Send me an email address via the personal message service on this site (the little envelope next to my screen name) and I will send you a location plan.

by chrislane, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 20:21 (1787 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Harry

this is such a gift, thank you. Having hoped someone may be able to tell me where she's buried, the grave number and inscription is astonishing.

I shall be back in the Forest in July and shall be heading straight to the grave to pay my respects.

Thank you also for such a quick response. As suggested, I'll send you my email address - a plan of the site is the icing on the cake!

Best wishes

by HarryBrook @, Thursday, May 30, 2019, 08:28 (1786 days ago) @ chrislane

Chris,

No problem, pleased to help. I received your personal message but it did not include an email address which I need to send the two jpeg images of the cemetery plans. I appear not to be able to reply to you via the forum pm service so would you please message me again but include an email address in the message. Thanks.

Harry

by chrislane, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 20:16 (1787 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff
you're absolutely right, I had decided the burial service was held at a Non-Conformist Chapel rather than a C of E Church. I'm afraid my mention of Whitecroft Road was misleading, and linked to my misassumption. Whitecroft Road is the address of Breams Eaves Chapel that was sold quite some time ago, according to records in the archives. I therefore assumed that was the Chapel in question.

All of your information is really helpful, as ever, thank you. I shall be looking to buy to cd as I suspect I'll be using it fairly frequently!

Many thanks again for your prompt and useful help.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 23:57 (1787 days ago) @ chrislane

You're most welcome Chris, I made the exact same error as you when I first used the PRs.
Good luck in your search of the graveyard when you visit in July, and subsequent researches.
atb J

by chrislane, Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 19:53 (1787 days ago) @ alison2

Alison - many thanks, really helpful. I'll be visiting next time I'm over in the Forest.

RSS Feed of thread