Walterii Merrick(e) (General)

by kandi, Sunday, October 20, 2019, 19:02 (1622 days ago)

Hi,

I'm searching for any information on a Walter(ii) Merrick(e) born 1648 in the Ross area and married to Marthae. Their son Walter Merrick born 1668 in Aymestry married Mary Pye of Newland, daughter of John Pye of Kilpeck.

I can't find parents for Walter(ii) and would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks.

Kandi K

Walterii Merrick(e)

by Peter Preece @, Monday, October 21, 2019, 12:49 (1621 days ago) @ kandi

Hi kandi,
Re the Merricks the following may help. Thomas Merrick was married to Mawde who died 1596,their son James Merrick married Joan Gwatkin in 1618. James was born in 1594, his wife Joan died 1658. James and Joan had a son Walter born 1668??? who married Mary Payne who died 1723.

Walter and Mary had a son Walter b1683-d1732 who in 1704 at King Stanley, Glos. married Mary
Pye who died in 1679. They had a son Aristarchus b1710 d1794.

Joan Gwatkin came from a well to-do family in Fownhope.

Mary Pye came from noble family - her grandfather was Sir John Pye. They married in Glos. because Walter was a Quaker and the Pyes were C of E.

I hope this is of help. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Peter.

Walterii Merrick(e)

by kandi, Monday, October 21, 2019, 16:48 (1621 days ago) @ Peter Preece

Dear Peter,

Brilliant! Thank you so much. I am looking forward to following up on all the information you have provided. I have been stuck on Walterii and Marthae for weeks and it would appear I may have had the wrong set of parents. I'm finding the links to the Quakers of great interest too.

Cheers,
Kandi

Walter Merrick

by Peter Preece @, Monday, October 21, 2019, 19:31 (1621 days ago) @ kandi

Hi Kandi,
The date for the birth of Walter Merrick of 1668 is wrong-his mother dying in 1658!

There is a lot of info re the Quakers, I would suggest you find these 2 books-

1 "Sufferings of early Quakers" by Joseph Besse published in 2008 ISBN 978-1-85072-375-2
West Midlands

2 "The Story of Ross" by Pat Hughes and Heather Hurley published in 1999 by Logaston
Press. ISBN 1 873827 11 3

I hope these may help you. Both books have a lot of info re Merricks.

Peter

Walter Merrick

by kandi, Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:28 (1598 days ago) @ Peter Preece

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the book recommendations -I have managed to source both.

I wonder if you know anything about Arnold (Garbett) Meyrick? I am finding him quite tricky to follow...this is what I have:

Arnold Merrick (born 1804) in Kingstone, Herefordshire to Arnold Merrick and Margaret Baugh; Arnold's parents were John Merrick and Susannah (nee Baker); John's parents were Aristarchus of Thruxton and Mary Hallett.

Arnold (who added the Garbett to his name later in life - I understand where this comes from) married Priscilla Mary Duffield from Buckinghamshire. The marriage took place in Oxford in 1848 and I have followed their descendants easily enough.

According to their marriage certificate Arnold was a widower. I thought I had found his first wife as Anne Wilson (married in Manchester Cathedral 1845); Arnold was listed as a widower here too.

However, there is another Arnold Merrick born around 1803/1804 and living in Thruxton. He is shown on a number of other trees as having married three times - Anne Wilson, Matilda Coxhead and Frances. He is also shown on these trees as the son of Arnold and Margaret (nee Baugh).

I'm assuming there are a number of cross-overs occurring - do you have info that would help me?

Yours,
Kandi

Walter Merrick

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 20:43 (1598 days ago) @ kandi

Had a look at the marriage at St Mary's Church in the Parish of Manchester - 9 March 1846 - between

Arnold MERRICK aged 42, Widower, occupation: Bookmaker (see there is an Arnold on the 1841 census also a Bookmaker) -
father: Arnold Merrick, occupation: Farmer

to Anne WILSON

---

Checked with the GRO Index

MERRICK, Anne Sophia - mother's maiden name: WILSON

GRO REFERENCE: 1846 J QUARTER in Saint Luke Middlesex, Volume 02 Page 305

---

This is on Family Search with links to actual copy baptism

Westerminster, St Marylebone:

5 March

Anne Sophia - daughter of Arnold & Ann MERRICK, residence: Charlotte Street

occupation of Arnold is an Acct CLERK (which assume is the same as being a Book-keeper)

born 31 May 1846

---

This family is still around on later census returns

Ancestry: Transcribed as MERRIL/Family Seach MERRICK

High Street, Hereford City District 2

Page 11 of 32

Francis 40 (male)
Arnold -35 Bookkeeper
Francis - 35 (female)
William - 10
Francis - 9
Ediwn - 8
Rosanna - 5
Arnold - 2
Frances - 11 Mo (female) ***
Eliza WILLIAMS - 25
Elizabeth COOPER - 15
Emma GRIFFITHS 15

GRO INDEX has

MERRICK Frances Elizabeth: Mother's Maiden name: WILLIAMS

1840 J Quarter, Hereford and Dore - Volume 26 Page 183

Walter Merrick

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 21:20 (1598 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

?

Ann MERRICK born 1846 in London

1851 Census, Leominster

Lower March

John MERRICK - aged 55 Ag. Lab, born Herefordshire
Pricilla MERRICK - wife aged 48
Ann MERRICK - Visitor aged 4 - born London

Walter Merrick

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 23:07 (1598 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

In the BNA Hereford Journal - Wednesday 01 October 1828,

Yesterday was married, at Hom Lacy [Holme Lacy], by the Rev. Mr. Phillips, Mr. Arnold Merrick, Bookseller, of this city, to Frances, eldest daughter of the late Mr. Williams, Eign-street

Arnold Merrick

by Peter Preece @, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 13:08 (1597 days ago) @ kandi

Re the Merricks.

Please be aware that there are at least 4 or 5 Arnold Merricks alive during this period-mid
1800s, in or from Herefordshire.
Arnold Merrick married to Margaret Baugh in 1789 had a son Arnold Merrick born 1804 at Thruxton
This Arnold Merrick married 1845 to Anne Wilson bpt 28.05.1818.Her father was George Wilson sea captain. Arnold describes himself as a widower. A year later in 1846 Arnold and Anne marry again but at a different church. He again describes himself as a widower.

Anne Sophia was born two and a half months after this marriage. She was baptised in London 10 months after her birth.

I think that the Ann Merrick shown as a visitor in the 1851 Census
to John Merrick and Priscilla (nee Preece) in Leominster is correct.

Arnold had another marriage in July 1848 to Priscilla Mary Duffield, Again he describes himself
as a widower. At about this time he changed the spelling of his name to Meyrick. This marriage
appears to be bigamous as Ann Wilson was still alive.

On Ancestry Family Trees there is a good tree that shows that Anne Sophia and her mother emigrated to South Africa.,

I hope that this will help.

Regards Peter Preece

Arnold Merrick

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 15:11 (1597 days ago) @ Peter Preece

Public Members Tree Ancestry

Annie Sophia MERRICK

Marriage: 3 August 1865 Durban KwaZulu-Natal South Africa

to

George PLOWES

Arnold Merrick

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 15:29 (1597 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Looking for Ann MERRICK c1810

?

There is on the 1851 Census, Oxfordshire, Wootton : District 1a page 34 of 37

(Arnold married in Oxfordshire, 1848)

Ancestry

Ann MERICK : Visitor, unmarried, aged 40 - born Scotland

at the home of Matha REASE aged 60 Laundrefs, born Middx, Arlingham

---

There is a William REECE of Oxford, Parish of St Thomas, buried at Woodstock, 7 June 1863 aged 73

Earlier baptisms at Wootton (Oxon) children of Martha and William - (William's occupation was a Servant)

? Did he work with Arnold

---

Ann WILSON's father was George WILSON, Sea Captain on the marriage certificate and Anne in 1846 was aged 36.

There is a burial at Woodstock, Oxfordshire

18 November 1861

Martha REECE aged 70

Arnold Merrick

by kandi, Sunday, February 02, 2020, 20:32 (1517 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you all for your responses.

I have been trying to follow all the leads you have provided along with some other information I have been given by descendants. It is all quite baffling so please bear with me as I try to think this all through in this email.

I think there are a number of cross-overs between an Arnold Merrick born in Thruxton in 1803/4 and an Arnold Merrick born in Kingston in 1802. I’m certain this Arnold is the one who eventually married Priscilla Mary Duffield in Oxford in 1848.

This Arnold is thought by members of his family to have run away to sea and also to have been a courier to George IV. If he did run away to sea then maybe Ann Wilson’s father was his Captain and this is how they met??? I am puzzled by this marriage with one service in Manchester Cathedral...I didn’t know they remarried a year later? The marriage record in the cathedral shows Arnold’s profession as a Clerk...this is a little ambiguous...what kind of Clerk? His status is also shown as a Widower...even more puzzling. Did Arnold from Kingston marry her or did Arnold from Thruxton marry her...I’m not sure.
The other women involved are Matilda Coxhead and Frances Williams. Arnold from Thruxton certainly ended up with Frances and they had a large family with him supporting them as a Book-Seller. I think at least one of his sons followed him into this business.

Which Arnold married Matilda who died in 1846?

It is odd that Kingston Arnold changed the spelling of his name and added Garbett to become Arnold Garbett Meyrick - perhaps he was
running away again and wanted to hide his identity. The Garbett was adopted from his Aunt Charlotte’s husband James Garbett. James was a clergyman and he and Charlotte had 5 sons, 4 of whom followed their father into the church, with one becoming an Archdeacon.

Arnold Garbett Meyrick can be found on an 1861 census in the employ of Percy Barrington as a Butler in Westbury Bucks. This is not far away from Priscilla Mary who was at another address in Fringford Oxfordshire...Henry and Hubert their surviving sons were with her. Priscilla Mary was a schoolteacher. Arnold Garbett Meyrick’s occupation was listed as Butler on Henry Duffield’s baptismal record.

Priscilla Mary died in 1868 and by that time had returned to her family home in King’s Sutton, Northamptonshire where she is buried. Arnold Garbett died a year later and is buried there too so it looks as though they lived there together for a time. Priscilla was only 47 when she died and Arnold was 69. Both their sons went into the church but tragically Hubert died in a bathing accident in Devon at age 20. Henry Duffield lived and married my cousin Mary Maude Fountain Cross,

Any further thoughts from you would be warmly received.

Best wishes,
Kandi

Arnold Merrick

by kandi, Monday, February 03, 2020, 21:40 (1516 days ago) @ kandi

Hi again,

Sorry, I made a mistake on my last post ref Arnold Garbett Meyrick - he was (it is thought) a courier to William IV not George IV.

As ever,
Kandi

Arnold Merrick

by amal, Saturday, June 20, 2020, 15:12 (1378 days ago) @ kandi

Hi Kandi.

You are correct when you say that Arnold Garbett Meyrick was also married to Matilda Coxhead. He married her first, and whilst still married to her, he married Anne Wilson. He then married Anne Wilson again after Matilda had died. I assume Matilda was ill as he put her in a workhouse, probably hoping that she would die quite soon, but she still survived for over a year. The workhouse is where she died and was buried in an unmarked grave.

Arnold had 7 children with Matilda. The first they named Arnold. I am not sure what happened to him as I can not find any record, but all the children died young except Margaret who is my 3rd great-grandmother. She is the only child listed on the 1841 census with Matilda, who was working as a (dress?) maker. Margaret married and came to Australia with her husband. Jas. W. Sparks. He wrote a short autobiography at the end of his life which mentions that Margaret's step-mother Anne was quite cruel to her.

I believe Arnold then married Priscilla while Anne was still living. I am not sure what happened to Anne though.

Arnold was also a witness at Matilda's sisters wedding.

I also am of the belief that Arnold was seeing another woman before Anne while still married to Matilda. Her name was Elizabeth. There is no marriage certificate that I can find but they had 3 children, two of them twins. All the children died when they were babies. I don't see anything of Elizabeth after that, but also have not looked around for a while. I have come to the conclusion that this is the same Arnold Merrick married to Matilda, listed as the father of these children, as the address given is not too far from Matilda and Arnold's address. He could have easily scooted between the two behind his wife's back because she was actually pregnant at the time.He was also getting into practice for his next two bigomist acts.

The other thing is he is listed as a servant on the births of the children with Elizabeth. He was also listed as a servant on the births of his children with Matilda.

Arnold was actually a jack of many trades. He came from a very respectable family, but he was a black sheep who went out on his own. I was told he took the Garbett name possibly because he had been a bit of a rogue and was trying to improve his image, or escape from his past, and the Garbett family was very religious.

Hope this helps.

Arnold Merrick

by Chewton @, Monday, July 20, 2020, 23:26 (1348 days ago) @ amal

The butler Arnold's children with Matilda:
Arnold Merrick baptised 21 Apr 1830 st Marys Lambeth, buried 22 Mar 1833
Horace Merrick born 20 Dec 1832 buried 24 Nov 1833
Matilda Anne Merrick born 12 May 1834 and probably buried under the name Ann Merrick 24 Jan 1835
Margaret Merrick (Maggie) born 20 Nov 1835 died 2 Feb 1878 Chewton Aus
Hubert Merrick born 6 Aug 1837 buried 22 March 1840
Maria Merrick born 23 Apr 1842 possibly buried in the workhouse 28 Apr 1842

Whilst still married to Matilda, Arnold was intimate with Anne Wilson resulting in two births,
1. Arnold Merrick WILSON born 4 July 1837 He traveled to Port Phillip Bay Geelong on the ship Tasman leaving 12 July 1849. He was only 12 years old. He met up with his uncle John Foliot Chandos Merrick (who had recently married Louisa Keats Martin in London) in Geelong. John and Louisa sailed from London at the same time in July 1849 on the ship Travancore bound for Geelong. John was the youngest son of Arnold and Margaret Merrick who had to present his baptism cert in order to receive 10 pounds inheritance from grandfather John Merrick who was buried at Kingstone 5 Apr 1825 aged 88 years. Young John F C was baptised at the age of 17 years on 15 Nov 1827 at Llanvihangle Crocorney Wales where his parents Arnold and Margaret were living.
2. Herbert Merrick WILSON born 12 Oct 1839 and baptised 22 January 1840. The register records the father as Arnold Merrick which was crossed out. Herbert emigrated to South Africa probably 1858 and died at Kimberly Hospital Sth Africa 3 May 1910. Death register shows he had not married nor had issue.

The third child to Arnold and Anne was Annie Sophia Merrick born 31 May 1846 just 3 months after his second marriage to Anne on 9 Mar 1846 (first marriage to Anne was 14 months earlier on 12 Jan 1845). Conception would have been around 31 Sept 1845 well prior to the burial of Matilda on 21 Feb 1846. Annie and her mother Anne immigrated to South Africa in 1860. Annie age 19 married George Plowes 45 yrs on 3 Aug 1865 at Durban South Africa. Anne Merrick nee Wilson died in Durban South Africa 9 Sept 1888.

Arnold married thirdly to Priscilla Mary Duffield 26 July 1848 Oxford England and had 3 children whilst still married to Anne Wilson.
Henry Duffield MEYRICK born 23 Dec 1848
Hubert Arnold MEYRICK born Oct 1851 died 1872 age 21 years
Mary Frances MEYRICK born 16 Nov 1853 and died aged 7 weeks.
I believe it was the butler Arnold MERRICK/MEYRICK who had 3 children with Elizabeth possibly CHAPPEL but only circumstantial evidence. Mary Ann Chappel born 10 Nov 1831 buried 17 May 1833, Sarah Merrick born 20 March 1833 buried 27 July 1834 and William Chappel Merrick born 7 May 1834 and christened with his sister Sarah at St Alphage Greenwich on 30 May 1834.

That makes 15 children to 4 women and only 5 made it to adulthood. Only one stayed in England, 2 to Aus and 2 to SA. I have found what I believe to be the death certs for the butler’s parents.
Looking for any Merrick/Meyrick connection to an estate/property/locality called Wormhill parish Madlay County Hereford.

Arnold Merrick

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 12:20 (1347 days ago) @ Chewton

There is this notice which associates Merrick, Madley and Wormhill,

BNA Hereford Journal - Wednesday 31 July 1816

MADLEY HEREFORDSHIRE.
FREEHOLD & COPYHOLD ESTATE.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION
Early in the Month of August 1816 (if not disposed of in the mean time by Private Contract).
ALL that MESSUAGE, FARM, and several Pieces or Parcels of rich ARABLE, MEADOW, PASTURE LAND, and ORCHARDING, in a high state of cultivation, with the Barns, Beasthouses, Cider- Mill, and other Buildings thereon erected, containing together about Sixty Statute Acres, all lying very contiguous, and in a healthy and pleasant part of the Parish of Madley, in the County of Hereford, called Lower Worm-hill, and now in the occupation of Mr. Arnold Merrick, who will show the same. The time and place of Sale, and other Particulars, will appear in the next Paper. In the mean time apply to Mr. Thomas Evans, Solicitor, Hereford, who is authorised to treat for the Sale by Private Contract

Arnold Merrick

by Chewton @, Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 07:10 (1346 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks Mike, I have this and similar notices from the Hereford Journal dated 26 June 1822 and 6 June 1827. Do you know how to access registered property deeds or written summary of deeds relating to this property in the early 1800's. Would they be held in Hereford somewhere or London National Archives.

Arnold Merrick

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 14:46 (1346 days ago) @ Chewton

The National Archives may very well have a record of extant documents but the documents themselves will almost certainly be held by Herefordshire Record Office. A quick scan shows documents relating to Upper Wormhill Farm in their collections.

Arnold Merrick

by Chewton @, Friday, July 24, 2020, 11:45 (1344 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks Mike, I have also found a cadastral map of Wormhill on the web. Thanks for your help.

Arnold Merrick

by mgw21, Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 08:26 (1311 days ago) @ Chewton

Hi,

I've been researching Arnold Merrick b1803 and in particular his first son to his second wife (Anne Wilson), Arnold Merrick Wilson for several months now. Its fascinating how many people seem to be researching Arnold Merrick Snr and the extended family.

Together with other researchers (descendants Ion Lynar and Neil Wilson), we have concluded Arnold b1837 went to sea as per family folklore at age 13 - on the Tasman but not on the voyage you referred to. Neil discovered a second passage arriving Geelong on 4 Jan 1851. That's far more likely as subsequent newspaper notices placed by his mother from South Africa referred to him emigrating in 1850 and 'going to' (his uncle) John Foliot Merrick in Chilwell, Geelong. John FC arrived as you mentioned on the Travancore 12 months earlier (about the same time as the arrival of the first Tasman trip).

For the record, and this appears to be something of a family "tradition", Arnold b1837 changed his name several times during his life. He married as Arnold Arthur Merrick in 1861, had his first two children as Arthur Merrick, his last two as George Wilson, and died aged 65 as George Arthur Wilson.

Cheers

Mike Wilson

Arnold Merrick

by Chewton @, Monday, August 10, 2020, 00:53 (1328 days ago) @ Peter Preece

In reference to the comment that the 1851 census at Leominster showing John, Pricilla and Ann aged 4 Merrick is correct I have a different view.
I have Ann Merrick 4 living at 9 Duke St Marylebone London with her mother Ann, dressmaker, Margaret step dau, Herbert son, Arthur Haworth, child of Susanna Haworth friend of Ann, and Anna Walton 20 daughter of Susanna Walton nee Merrick sister of Arnold the butler. No surprise that Arnold was not with Ann and the kids. He was residing at Hall Place as a butler for the Gilbert-East family near Maidenhead. He had another wife, Pricilla living in a near by village of Burchetts Green with first born Henry and pregnant with Hubert.

RSS Feed of thread