Henry John Boulton 1901 Lydbrook House (General)

by roots93, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 15:35 (1597 days ago)

Based on the 1901 England Census, Henry John Boulton worked as a coachman/gardener at Lydbrook House. On the same page of the census and by looking at the Ross Gazette, the employer was Dr. Theodore Linde. I am looking for further proof that Dr. LInde was the employer. Are there any household ledgers, etc. that might give further evidence? I would also appreciate assistance locating a photo of Lydbrook House. I see some photos but would like further confirmation since I am in the States and not familiar with the geographic area. Thank you for the assistance.

Henry John Boulton 1901 Lydbrook House

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 17:32 (1597 days ago) @ roots93

I can see Public Member's Tree on Ancestry (always helps for any information) with links to an Advertisement 18 Jan 1900 for a Groomer and Gardener wanted at Lydbrook House, working for Dr Linde.

GROOM - GARDENER WANTED little .....abestaner ? preferred. State age, height, weight and wages - Dr Linde, Lydbrook House near House.

Also copy of Henry John BOULTON's marriage 24 July 1900 in Scotland to Marion RIDDICK etc. where his occupation was Under Gardener

On the 1901 census - English Bicknor, Lydbrook - next to Theodore LINDE - listed as Coachman, Gardener

There is a baptism at Hewlesfield - 26 September 1915 **

Elizabeth Mary BOULTON, parents: Henry John (Chauffer) - and Marion - residence: Hewelsfield, St Briavels.

Memoranda: The Christian name of the father was not as ? Written. The father is unknown. the child illegitimate PHR

Burial at Bishopwood - 29 July 1908

Thiodor Piers illegible Henri van de

residence: Lydbrook House nr Ross

aged 74 years

---

** questioned on the tree as Henry was in Canada at this time

(Marion was aged 23 at the time of her marriage in Scotland 1900 = c1877

Checked with GRO Index

BOULTON Elizabeth Mary - mother's maiden name: RIDDICK

GRO Reference: 1915 S Quarter in Monmouth, Volume 11A Page 39

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 17:49 (1597 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

There is also at Monmouth Workhouse

16 December 1910

Ivy Beatrice BOULTON

father: Not stated

Mother's Forenames: Marion

Residence: English Bicknor

Memoranda: Half Year ending Lady Day 1911 (born Nov 28, Female)

GRO Index

BOULTON, Ivy Beatrice

GRO reference: 1910 D Qtr in Monmouth 11A Page 25 - mother's maiden name: RIDDERICK

----

Gloucestershire, England, Electoral Registers

Parish of English Bicknor

Henry BOULTON

1904 - Lower Lydbrook, Ross, Forest of Dean
1906 - Lower Lydbrook, Ross, Forest of Dean
1907 - Lower Lydbrook, Ross, Forest of Dean
1908 - Lower Lydbrook, Ross, Forest of Dean
1909 - Lower Lydbrook, Ross, Forest of Dean
1910 - Lower Lydbrook, Ross, Forest of Dean

by roots93, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 19:01 (1596 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Actually you have found me on Ancestry and that is the information I have found so far.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 18:19 (1597 days ago) @ roots93

You've probably already seen this picture

https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydbrook/Lydbrook-House-1966.htm

It shows the house is right below the old viaduct. It can be found on this map

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.8495&lon=-2.5875&layers=178...

And here it is now on Google street view.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8495693,-2.5876223,3a,39.2y,270.04h,90.59t/data=!3m7!...

--
Peter

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 18:33 (1596 days ago) @ probinson

Just Googling: Dr Theodore Linde, Lydbrook, Gloucestershire

History of the Atlantic Cable & submarine Telegraph - The

'On the 1891 census, Theodore is in Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, occupation Doctor & Surgeon, while his wife Elizabeth is visiting relatives near Plymouth with their elder son Harold. (says he attended Accident victims) ***

On 23 October that year Linde placed a help wanted advertisement.

"Groom and Gardener Wanted; one horse and small greenhouse.

The position included the use of a two-roomed cottage at "Lydbrook House, near Ross, Herefordshire".

---

So Advert 23 October 1891 - quoting a two-roomed cottage.

---

If you search the Inquest for Attendees - LINDE - is from 1880 to 1906 (17 times)

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 18:41 (1596 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

The Inquest Archives - has given the answer (under RESOURCES)

26 December of August 1903 at The Courtfield Hotel Lower Lydbrook

Sarah PITTAWAY - aged 75 is the Deceased.

Witnesses:

including

Henry BOULTON residing at Lydbrook - GROOM TO DR LINDE

Henry BOULTON was paid a shilling.

by roots93, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 19:25 (1596 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Unfortunately my Henry Boulton was born 1881 and emmigrated to Canada/US in 1901.

by roots93, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 19:03 (1596 days ago) @ probinson

Thank you for confirmation. I am hesitant to feel absolute when I can't see it in person myself.

by roots93, Saturday, November 16, 2019, 13:23 (1595 days ago) @ probinson

Thank you for the clues and confirmation. Is it a private residence now? I am planning a trip eventually and would love to see the inside of it.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Saturday, November 16, 2019, 15:02 (1595 days ago) @ roots93

Searching for 'Lydbrook House, Lydbrook' turned up some interesting, though probably not useful, information.

First, I discovered a second Lydbrook House in Upper Lydbrook which immediately made me wonder if we were looking at the correct one. I think we are. In the Ross Gazette, Thursday 03 September 1908, there is an advert for the sale of the contents of the late Dr Linde's home. The location is described as 'Near to Lydbrook Junction Railway Station' which would put it in Lower Lydbrook rather than Upper Lydbrook.

I also found a list of several companies with Lydbrook House listed as their registered address at https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/IN8ySK-5uQPfAvgkfP3iSHBgTRo/appointments All relate to one individual so I guess that's who lives there now. Does make it sound like a private residence.

Apparently, there used to be a cafe at the house but seems like it might be closed now. See https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1068912-d1978156-Reviews-The_Garden_Ca...

If you look at the name associated with the companies in the link above then look at this list of people you'll find an email address and telephone number. Might be out of date but worth a try if you were thinking of visiting. https://www.lydbrookcouncil.co.uk/parishcouncil.html

--
Peter

by roots93, Saturday, November 16, 2019, 16:29 (1595 days ago) @ probinson

Thank you for the information. I am keeping a list of places to would like to visit. Hoping there is enough time to do and see all that is on my list.

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, November 16, 2019, 17:37 (1595 days ago) @ roots93

On the 1911 Census, a couple of doors away from Linde is a family of BEVANS's at Radnor...

----

There is also a baptism on the Forest of Dean records - for a baptism
6 September 1922

at English Bicknor

Barbara Josephine WATSON

parents: Joseph CUNNINGHAM 9 (occupation: DOCTOR) and Alice SOUTHWOOD -

Lydbrook House, English Bicknor.

---

1939 Census, Gloucestershire, West Dean RD ODZL

Page 4 of 16

A couple of houses: Radnor

then

No 2 Wyebank Cottage - Thomas PRICE and his wife Esther
No 1 Wyebank Cottage - Albert Meredith and his wife Lousa

then

Viaduct Cottage : William RUDGE and his wife Alice

Lydbrook House:
McMINN Robert M - born 8 April 08 - Medical Practioner
Annie R - born 11 August 1913
(couple of others)

next house

Viaduct Stores (Stones?)

then

Viaduct House with Alfred W WALDING and family

----

Death: Forest of Dean, July Qtr 1986

Robert Malcolmson McMINN

AGED 78

birth date: 8 April 1908

---

His Probate on Ancestry states his address as LYDBROOK HOUSE, Lydbrook Glos.

Probate: Annie Russell McMINN - did 14 April 1986 - LYDBROOK HSE, (Lydbrook)

Public Members Tree on Ancestry for this couple.

Robert Malcolmson McMINN - Lydbrook House

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, November 16, 2019, 18:04 (1595 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

The Public Members Tree on Ancestry is very interesting.

Quote from the 1939 Kelly's Directory

McMINN RT. Malcolmson M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O. Belf
physcn. & surgn. & medical officer & public vaccinator No. 5 district Westbury-on-Severn Guardians Committee & certifying factory surgn. Lydbook ho.

T N 219 (telephone number)

---

The 1940 article also states he was the Hon. Med. Off. Dilke Memor. Hosp. Cinderford; Certif. Fact. Surg.

Robert was born - 8 April 1908 - Tullymurry

by roots93, Sunday, November 17, 2019, 23:18 (1593 days ago) @ probinson

Thank you for the information.

by rsligi @, Friday, November 22, 2019, 12:36 (1589 days ago) @ roots93

You are all referring to the Lydbrook House that is opposite The Tump in Lower Lydbrook. It is now The Garden Cafe and does evening tapas at times. If you look on the Web for images of The Viaduct Lower Lydbrook it is the large single house to the RHS with your back to the river. Known to older locals as The Doctors House but you would be hard pressed to find someone old enough to call it that now! It is a large red bricked house, The Viaduct went right over it. This IS where the Doctor lived. The was a time when The White House in central Lydbrook was called Lydbrook House but definitely no doctor lived there and was only for a very short period that one resident lived there. At one time the road down thro Lydbrook ran behind Lydbrook house and it is now a short dead end
The doctor planted the weeping willow tree between the boundary wall and the road and opposite the entry to The Tump beside the River Wye.. Hope this helps It may be possible to contact the owner (Paul) who is a very sociable gentleman via The Garden Cafe web site.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, November 22, 2019, 12:46 (1589 days ago) @ rsligi

The Garden Cafe website is no longer active which is why I surmised it may not be open anymore.

--
Peter

by rsligi @, Friday, November 22, 2019, 17:44 (1589 days ago) @ probinson

RE-cafe web site not available, thanks for adding this, I left Lydbrook 4 years ago so things move on, I have enquired and same family still live there. It was always difficult to know if cafe was open or not but we used to get emails when Tapas nights were on or local artists work was on display. I will enquire further when next in Lydbrook which, sorry, may be in the New Year.

by roots93, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 12:57 (1588 days ago) @ roots93

Thank you all for the information. I could see that many doctors resided in the house doctor after doctor. We may not travel to the area for 2 years and hope to see the house then.

RSS Feed of thread