Thomas Goode of Dymock (General)

by TimGoode, Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 17:42 (1567 days ago)

I have recently found reference to Thomas Goode of Dymock who died in 1509. They are on a memorial in the church of St. Devereux which is near Didley to the west of Hereford. I am a direct descendant and as the Parish records do not go back this far, I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of how to proceed in tracing him and his family further back into the 15th Century. I have details of his descendants going forward to myself , Tim Goode.
Many Thanks

Thomas Goode of Dymock

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 21:56 (1567 days ago) @ TimGoode

First checked with National Archives

for Thomas Goode - Dymock

which shows Thomas GOODE probate date 7 May 1509 of Dymock left a Will which is held at the National Archives, but is on Ancestry. It seems to be only about 7 lines in total.

--

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills. Will Register 1384-1566

I've called it up - it's in very good condition - well written - not sure if it's old English or Latin (it's a bit late to have a good look) - but will try!!! Think I can see Hereford, and names at the end of someone from Dymock + others. But seems to be in Latin.

..... nonme amen

---

Can see on Kate Beevers User Trees a list headed The Williams of Bromyard Herefordshire, and the Memorial Inscriptins found at St Devereux Church including Thomas GOODE and his son Hugh GOODE who died in Thornbury 1546.

Thomas Goode of Dymock

by TimGoode, Thursday, January 09, 2020, 09:23 (1566 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you very much.
I have looked at it on Ancestry and think it is in latin. Although I studied latin for 4 years at school all I clearly remember is the ditty
"Latin is a language as dead as dead can be,
First it killed the Romans and now its killing me!"
I will try to decipher any names on it but if anyone else has a better knowledge of 16th century latin wills I would be grateful.
Tim

Thomas Goode of Dymock

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, January 09, 2020, 10:33 (1566 days ago) @ TimGoode

Bit out of my depth here...

Googling : Thomas GOODE Herefordshire

On Google Books

List of Early Chancery Proceedings preserved in the Public Record Office

File No 935-1094

Addressed to Walden, Chancellor - 1538-1544

Page headed No. 92

Richard, son and heir of Walter GOODE, r Thomas GOODE his brother. Detention of goods and of deeds relating to messuaged and land in Thornbury.

At the end of the comments is HEREFORD

? Connection with Thornbury - Hereford

National Archives

Reference: C 1/989/20

Goode v Goode Date: 1538-1544

Plaintiffs: Richard, son and heir of Walter GOODE
Defendants: Thomas GOODE his brother
Detention of goods and of deeds relating to mussuages and land in Thornbury Herefordshire.

----

Back to website quoting burials at Herefordshire St Devereux Church

Hugh GOODE of Thornbury son ot the above died 1546 (son of Thomas) **
Raffe GOODE of Thornbury son the abve died 1594

etc etc

----

Natinal Archives - Held at Herefordshire Archive and Record Office

Grant. At Thornbury, 21 Jan 9 Henry VII (1) Hugh Shyrley of Stocton (2)

Records of the Pateshall Family of Allensmore. COLLINGTON AND SAPEY, THORNBURY, chief lords of the fee for services due.

Warranty Witnesses: Richard Shyrley son f (1) Richard POWELL, Clerk, rector of Thornbury, Richard COLYNS, WALTER GOOD, Thomas Tyler Seal on tag, Fragmentary

----

16 Februarty 1494, : Held at Herefordshire Archive and Records office

Gift at Thornbury - mentions: Robert GOODE all those lands, tenenments, meadows, feeding and pastures late etc etc
-

The GOODE family seem to have strong connections to Thornbury.

---

Ancestry : Perogative Court of Canterbury Wills

Thomas GOODE - 14 June 1672 - St Devoreux, Herefordshire (In English.....)

Jacob GOODE - 26 May 1637, Peeterchurch, Herefordshire

Beatrice GOOD - 7 June 1638, Wilmaston, Herefordshire

**Hugh (HUGONIS) good - 29 December 1549 - no residence given on ancestry (can see 1546 at the end of the Will)

Thomas Goode of Dymock

by TimGoode, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 17:16 (1556 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you for these helpful pointers which I will follow up.
The Goode family were indeed everywhere in Thornbury, Herefordshire from about 1450 to 1850. The farming became poor in the 1850's and many emigrated to South Australia. Other members became London department store owners, and pottery manufacturers. I was intrigued to find a Gloucestershire connection because there are reports of connections to the Baskerville family [after Bosworth Field ] and to John of Gaunt. I have been unable to prove these connections so far but I suppose it is a few years ago !

RSS Feed of thread